Musings From Arledge: USC Lacking Discipline on Defense

Anon1664771658

Oct 2, 2022
I disagree with Chris Arledge as to his analysis of USC’s defensive woes. I also disagree with him politically, but that’s another issue for another day. I don’t disagree with the lack of discipline, per se. I also do not like Grinch’s 3-4 look, which tends to exacerbate an outstanding problem with run defense. However, in his, um defense, I now suspect that the real value defensively, especially against pass- oriented offenses, might be to maximize turnovers. But that cannot be consistently relied upon without first stopping the run and pressuring the passer.

I think the issue comes down to personnel. This has been a problem for years that precedes the ignominious tenure of the Gomer. Both Kiffin and Sark tended to ignore the defensive side in the belief that their offensive schemes and personal genius could win the day. This was coupled with a paucity of both top-flight defensive (and offensive) lineman in California and on the West Coast. This is not a new problem, but our DL group (except Tuli who seems to be constantly double-teamed) are, forgive me, second rate. Absent Colorado, what PAC-12 team has incontrovertibly less talent on the DL then we? This was a problem years in the making. As for coaching and schemes, as a former basketball coach of my familiarity once said, “you can work from sun up to sunset and you will never be able to get chicken salad from chicken **** (er feathers).”

I know this is a harsh indictment, (now there’s a word for lawyer Chris), but I contend it to be true. Moreover, until this problem is resolved through recruiting, we should not expect to win conference championships or be in the hunt for the CFP. But maybe we will catch lightning in a bottle. Salt Lake City will be the tale of the tape. Riley appears to recognize this necessity. It may take a year or two, but the problem we’ve seen this year is neither a mirage nor an issue of coaching. I expect, sadly, that it will continue to be exposed this year with a negative result here or there. I hope to be proven wrong. The good news, the future seems bright. Go Trojans!

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I disagree with Chris Arledge as to his analysis of USC’s defensive woes. I also disagree with him politically, but that’s another issue for another day. I don’t disagree with the lack of discipline, per se. I also do not like Grinch’s 3-4 look, which tends to exacerbate an outstanding problem with run defense. However, in his, um defense, I now suspect that the real value defensively, especially against pass- oriented offenses, might be to maximize turnovers. But that cannot be consistently relied upon without first stopping the run and pressuring the passer.

I think the issue comes down to personnel. This has been a problem for years that precedes the ignominious tenure of the Gomer. Both Kiffin and Sark tended to ignore the defensive side in the belief that their offensive schemes and personal genius could win the day. This was coupled with a paucity of both top-flight defensive (and offensive) lineman in California and on the West Coast. This is not a new problem, but our DL group (except Tuli who seems to be constantly double-teamed) are, forgive me, second rate. Absent Colorado, what PAC-12 team has incontrovertibly less talent on the DL then we? This was a problem years in the making. As for coaching and schemes, as a former basketball coach of my familiarity once said, “you can work from sun up to sunset and you will never be able to get chicken salad from chicken **** (er feathers).”

I know this is a harsh indictment, (now there’s a word for lawyer Chris), but I contend it to be true. Moreover, until this problem is resolved through recruiting, we should not expect to win conference championships or be in the hunt for the CFP. But maybe we will catch lightning in a bottle. Salt Lake City will be the tale of the tape. Riley appears to recognize this necessity. It may take a year or two, but the problem we’ve seen this year is neither a mirage nor an issue of coaching. I expect, sadly, that it will continue to be exposed this year with a negative result here or there. I hope to be proven wrong. The good news, the future seems bright. Go Trojans!

Anon, with all due respect as soon as you write, “I disagree with him politically ... “, I stopped reading. I don't know Chris’s politics or yours, and I don’t care to … on this day or any other.

On Chris’s article, absolutely poor discipline will always be a negative factor and we show some of that on both sides, IMO. Our defensive woes are primarily borne of a roster that doesn't mesh very well with our D scheme. Furthermore, especially our front 7 on D, with a few exceptions, aren't exceptional in any regard. So, it's patently unrealistic to expect exceptional play from them. What I expect and hope for every week is the D coaches can, and will, make the indicated halftime adjustments so that the D will play well and effective enough in the 2nd-half to stick a finger in the dike and give the offense the opportunity it requires to separate on the scoreboard. With proper 2nd half adjustments, we are good enough on the O-side to pull ahead of most other teams and bring home the bacon.

ASU is a classic example, with us outscoring them in the 2nd-half 21-8, but also vs. Rice 2nd-half scoring was 35-0, vs. FSU 24-7 and vs. OSU 14-7. The only except to this template was Furd, where they outscore us in the 2nd-half 6-14, but in that case, we were already up by 21 at half-time and it didn't matter very much.

In my estimation, it will take Grinch & Co. a few years to rectify the core defensive roster deficiencies, unless they shock us again through the portal. In the meantime, thank the football gods for Lincoln Riley's offensive genius & the O-talent he has, and Grinch's half-time adjustments to allow the defense some latitude to be mostly only mediocre.

JMHO.

Last edited:

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017

You created a new, anonymous profile to respond? LOL....ok

OrangeBill

Sep 30, 2017
You created a new, anonymous profile to respond? LOL....ok
No. I was having difficulty reupping in the new system. I previously posted under OrangeBill and will continue to so once the problems are rectified. Sorry, for the confusion and misunderstanding.

contracostatrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Anon, with all due respect as soon as you write, “I disagree with him politically ... “, I stopped reading. I don't know Chris’s politics or yours, and I don’t care to … on this day or any other.

On Chris’s article, absolutely poor discipline will always be a negative factor and we show some of that on both sides, IMO. Our defensive woes are primarily borne of a roster that doesn't mesh very well with our D scheme. Furthermore, especially our front 7 on D, with a few exceptions, aren't exceptional in any regard. So, it's patently unrealistic to expect exceptional play from them. What I expect and hope for every week is the D coaches can, and will, make the indicated halftime adjustments so that the D will play well and effective enough in the 2nd-half to stick a finger in the dike and give the offense the opportunity it requires to separate on the scoreboard. With proper 2nd half adjustments, we are good enough on the O-side to pull ahead of most other teams and bring home the bacon.

ASU is a classic example, with us outscoring them in the 2nd-half 21-8, but also vs. Rice 2nd-half scoring was 35-0, vs. FSU 24-7 and vs. OSU 14-7. The only except to this template was Furd, where they outscore us in the 2nd-half 6-14, but in that case, we were already up by 21 at half-time and it didn't matter very much.

In my estimation, it will take Grinch & Co. a few years to rectify the core defensive roster deficiencies, unless they shock us again through the portal. In the meantime, thank the football gods for Lincoln Riley's offensive genius & the O-talent he has, and Grinch's half-time adjustments to allow the defense some latitude to be mostly only mediocre.

JMHO.
So did I. What do people post comments like this? Getting back to the real topic of this thread, I do like the second half defensive adjustments. Very Pete-Carroll like.

Last edited:

101Coast

Sep 3, 2017
I don't believe the defense lack discipline per se. I believe they lack talent on the line and linebackers. No one is dominant but they do work well together most times. Lee and Gentry are what they are. I give a lot of credit to Grinch for using Gentry the way he does because it's almost like a hybrid LB/SS, which works out well. Lee has no hips.