Must get Tequila

DHolcroftIV

Jan 27, 2012
How do we feel about El Corralejo? I think it's hard to beat for $35 a bottle but I'm newer to the finer points of tequila. Lemme know!

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
How do we feel about El Corralejo? I think it's hard to beat for $35 a bottle but I'm newer to the finer points of tequila. Lemme know!
1) Drink what you like.
2) It's not terrible.
3) It's not a "must drink" tequila, IMO.

For a budget blanco I like El Tequileno, Tres Agaves and Insólito which should all be $35 or less. All drink better than their $$$.

Reactions: DHolcroftIV

DHolcroftIV

Jan 27, 2012
1) Drink what you like.
2) It's not terrible.

For a budget blanco I like El Tequileno, Tres Agaves and Insólito which should all be $35 or less. All drink better than their $$$.
I mainly use it as a go to for margaritas. Your assessment seems commensurate with that use! Thanks!

Reactions: MLU

Bama Blue

Sep 23, 2021
1) Drink what you like.
2) It's not terrible.

Tres Agave is a great $30 -35 bottle. Anejo is very good for the price. Tried Espanita Reposado at $30 very good.
1664285872944.png

DoublerVol

Sep 1, 2022
Went to Steve Earle's songwriting camp and a dude from Toronto turned me onto Gran Dovejo Reposado. $40-50's a bottle, aged in bourbon barrels.

I shipped a barrel(Weller Antique) to Corazon and they let it rest for 9 months. It sold out quickly. I currently have a barrel(Buffalo Trace) that is there and we are resting it for 15 months.

Reactions: Clemson86

Think Twice

Sep 28, 2022
For around $40, I go with Maestro Dobel Diamanté , Don Abraham Blanco (organic), Califino Blanco, or for a few $ more Casamigos Blanco. For $55, I’ve found nothing better than Herradura Ultra! These all are great for sipping neat, or chilled!

I use Teremana Blanco, 3 Amigos Blanco or Patron Silver for margaritas. Love my tequila!

Reactions: sdwexler

Sok454

Dec 29, 2021
I shipped a barrel(Weller Antique) to Corazon and they let it rest for 9 months. It sold out quickly. I currently have a barrel(Buffalo Trace) that is there and we are resting it for 15 months.
What do you do to have access to Antique and BT barrels?

LarstheRed

Jun 1, 2022
I'm a fan of Codigo Extra Anejo( George Straits')
A friend just tried this and is blown away by how good it is. He mentioned there is a good story behind how Strait got involved, but I'm not sure if it's all factual. Needless to say, George apparently wouldn't take no for an answer when he got a taste of what these folks were making.

romee

Sep 17, 2021
Just brought in a "barrel select" tequila called Maximo Imperio. The Extra Anejo is great.
Delicate notes of agave on the nose that includes woody notes on the nose as well.
A hint of cinnamon really unfolds your senses and sets it off. Aged 60 months. Agave harvested at 8 - 10 years of age.
This tequila is the real deal. One of the best tequila I have ever imported.

Last edited:

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
This reminds me, has anyone noticed the plant based hand gel smells a lot like tequila? Is there a connection? If you've ever had tequila you never forget the smell.

Outsider Jim

Sep 20, 2022
Sampled a bunch of Blancos today for making a large batch of fresh-squeezed margaritas.

Top 3: Outstanding
Siete Leguas ($55)
Los Dos ($46)
G4 ($58)

Siete Leguas was my favorite, but you can't go wrong with any of those 3.

And if you want an orange liqueur that will crush Cointreau/Grand Marnier/Triple Sec . . . I highly recommend Paula's Orange Liqueur, made in Austin, Texas. If you can find it, get it. It's by far the best I've ever had.

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Sampled a bunch of Blancos today for making a large batch of fresh-squeezed margaritas.

Top 3: Outstanding
Siete Leguas ($55)
Los Dos ($46)
G4 ($58)

Siete Leguas was my favorite, but you can't go wrong with any of those 3.

And if you want an orange liqueur that will crush Cointreau/Grand Marnier/Triple Sec . . . I highly recommend Paula's Orange Liqueur, made in Austin, Texas. If you can find it, get it. It's by far the best I've ever had.
Don't sleep on the lemon or grapefruit in liqueurs, either. Paula knows what she's doing.

Reactions: Outsider Jim

Yemacock

Joined Apr 6, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Somebody convince me to buy a California grown and distilled tequila? Some of them are quite expensive and not very highly rated but I'm not a connoisseur.

SmarterBudweiser

May 2, 2022
Somebody convince me to buy a California grown and distilled tequila? Some of them are quite expensive and not very highly rated but I'm not a connoisseur.
Tequila can only be grown and distilled in certain specific regions in Mexico and distilleries (NOMS) there must be approved/certified. There is no such animal as a “California tequila.”

Yemacock

Joined Apr 6, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Tequila can only be grown and distilled in certain specific regions in Mexico and distilleries (NOMS) there must be approved/certified. There is no such animal as a “California tequila.”
I know that they cannot call it tequila the same as champagne must be from the champagne region of France. The reason is related to being official there only by legal rules. Even after all this, there was a recent news story about the California grown agave market being top quality "luxury" tequilas. Some are called Tequila Anejo or just Anejo. See here: https://drizly.com/liquor/tequila/california-tequila/st2000-c88

Outsider Jim

Sep 20, 2022
I know that they cannot call it tequila the same as champagne must be from the champagne region of France. The reason is related to being official there only by legal rules. Even after all this, there was a recent news story about the California grown agave market being top quality "luxury" tequilas. Some are called Tequila Anejo or just Anejo. See here: https://drizly.com/liquor/tequila/california-tequila/st2000-c88
"agave-based spirit" but NOT "tequila."