NCAA QB Ratings

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Howzit HRP and BlackLL, Kinda off topic position, suppose USC get 3 more OL commitments = 7. Could one or even 2 make the switch to DL and be good at it (Alani Noa or Amos Talalele)? Looks like the OL recruitment has picked up. Thanxs boys want to read your thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
Howzit HRP and BlackLL, Kinda off topic position, suppose USC get 3 more OL commitments = 7. Could one or even 2 make the switch to DL and be good at it (Alani Noa or Amos Talalele)? Looks like the OL recruitment has picked up. Thanxs boys want to read your thoughts.
I don't follow recruiting too much as I find it to be very soap opera like and I just can't sit around waiting for some 17 year old to make a decision. I'll check out tape of guys moreso after they sign to get a glimpse of what we have. I see things here and there though.

As for OL to DL conversions, I think that Buckey kid from up North must be a candidate for the opposite, a DL to OL conversion, because the other site posted a YouTube clip of one of his games yesterday and I must say I was not only unimpressed but perplexed as to why he was being recruited at DL. I only knew who he was on tape because I assumed he was the biggest one out there. He was being held up by smaller HS Tackles and athletically he did not look the part of a Power 5 DL. I assume he's being moved to OL and quite frankly I don't think he looked athletic enough to be a T and perhaps could play G or C. The other board's comments as well as the YouTube one's are all pretty much on the negative side, so I'm certainly not the only one who feels this way.

As for the two you mentioned, I haven't seen much tape of Alani Noa, but I'd say he'd probably have to be a NT if he switched over from G. Grinch favors quicker DL so he probably doesn't want them that big unless they're plus athletes. Same with Amos Talalele, who doesn't look all that athletic to me from the tape I saw. Both these guys look like strictly Guards.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Eh Bruddah, welcome to the club, LOL :LOL:

Last week, after 3 games CW was 7th in the NCAA QBR, and yeah after this past weekend (4 games) he did drop down to 29th. It's a long season, CW can recover and get back into the top 10 again...
Consistency might still be an issue, but he showed a lot of moxie on that last drive that will serve him and the Trojans well.

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
Where’s Travis Dye?
We have the two top spots in a list of 10. There are a lot of transfers doing well. Do we ask why Gentry isn't on there too? They're not going to make the list half Trojan.

The RB listed is averaging over 150 ypg. Dye's averaging less than a 100.

At the end of the day this list doesn't mean anything and is just simple, shareable social media content. We're talking about it, so it worked.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Mostly true.
But any QB is going to play worse when playing against the better defenses they are facing.

I am going to judge him on this years performance, not last years.
Against OSU he was missing wide open receivers by a long margin and not because he was under pressure, he was just missing them.

I saw this same thing in the 2nd half against Stanford.

So, my impression so far is that he can be very streaky in his performance.
He’s got to clean up his footwork.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
We have the two top spots in a list of 10. There are a lot of transfers doing well. Do we ask why Gentry isn't on there too? They're not going to make the list half Trojan.

The RB listed is averaging over 150 ypg. Dye's averaging less than a 100.

At the end of the day this list doesn't mean anything and is just simple, shareable social media content. We're talking about it, so it worked.
I’m just throwing it out there. Riley didn’t just fill out the roster; he got some really good players. Maybe he can do it again next off season.

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
I have not seen any of those other games. But if he played like he did against OSU, then it seems like it it must be a mental issue.
Many of his errant throws were not because he was trying to fit into a tight window or there was a rusher in his face. He missed very open receivers with a clear throwing lane.
Heck, he even missed the check down to the back how many times? 3?
Apparently he was 0-6 on passes 0-5 yards, all those check down, screen pass type throws.

Caleb looked even worse once you've watched the tape a few times. It really does look like his head was not in the game at all and he forgot how to play QB. I place less of the blame on Riley after watching the tape extensively.

Kulkin saw my post and went back and looked at the 3 games I cited from last year and added some context to them, but the fact remains Caleb is a sub 50% passer cumulatively in 4 of 5 of his last big games and his signature performance is still that Texas game.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I’m just throwing it out there. Riley didn’t just fill out the roster; he got some really good players. Maybe he can do it again next off season.
Bruddah, I got to admit early on, I did not agree when C.LR was aggressively purging Helton's players and recruits. I felt he needed bodies. Now I can see what C.LR was thinking and up too. He wanted to change/rid the bad culture from the old regime. Very good move and actions by C.LR.

Yep, C.LR should focus on recruiting the best HS players + adding top players from the TP too. C.LR knows what it takes to build a championship team. I thought C.Grinch was a weak link in his staff, after 4 games, heck I'm sold that C.Grinch knows D and a dam good coach. He just need better players...

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Not mad at the take, but I can't necessarily agree with "The biggest factor are the OL's and schedule. Playing FCS opponents at home is alot easier than playing Pitt on the road." I'd need some evidence or something. I don't really care much about QBR. If I do rate or rank guys, I try to do it based on tape, taking many of the factors yo referenced.
Let me share this:
UCLA 5-0 right?

They have 8 home games on their schedule and 4 away games, played 4 of 5 at home to start the season. That's an advantage. I've seen post after post of people clowning them. "Are they ever going to leave home". They finally do but against a 0-5 Colorado.Then they took on Washington at home again and now Utah at home.

Here are the rankings of their opponents in total defense and records. I use mostly total defense to handicap football games. It's been helpful. I've picked some upsets. Florida over Utah. Tennessee over Pitt ect. (I'm taking Kentucky to beat UGA at home they are a top 20 defense and at home. The last time they locked horns at home it was a close game at the half). They have the defense to win a low scoring slugfest. I'll get back to my point.

Bowling Green 2-3 #127 of 131
Colorado 0-5 ranked 129 of 131
Alabama State 3-2 (SWAC) team couldn't even find stats on them.
South Alabama 4-1 #27 of 131
Washington 4-1 #57 or 131 in total defense.

Combined record of opponents 13-12 with two of the 5 teams ranked amongst the worst (bottom 5 in the nation) in defense

Now let's look at Auburn's brutal schedule.

They started off with 2 fairly easy games. Although statistically you can say that SJS defense is better than anything UCLA has faced so far.

4-1 Mecer Bears (FCS) team
3-1 San Jose State #20 of 131 teams in total defense.

Then:
5-0 Penn State #18 of 131
2-3 Mizzou #65 of 131
4-1 LSU #16 of 131
Combined record of opponents so far 28-6.

Now look at this brutal schedule coming up.
@ 5-0 Georgia # 4 of 131
@ 5-0 Ol Miss # 7 of 131
vs 3-2 Arkansas #100 of 131
@ 4-1 Miss State #45 of 131
Vs 3-2 Texas A&M #24 of 131
Combined record of future Opponents 20-5. (My guess is Bryan Harsin does not finish this brutal 5 game stretch)

So right now:
Freshman Ashford stats look like this
709 3 Tds 3 Ints

5th year Sr. Dorian Thompson Robinson
1,211 11 TD's 1 Int.

But Auburn has clearly played better competition. You have to account for that.

So when you say watch film. I will ask. Yes but it's important to know who that film is against are you playing some stiffs or legit SEC contenders?

Most QB's look better against Boston College then they do against Georgia. So the schedule does matter. Look what happened to Bo Nix when he went down to Athens. Throwing against 2 two NFL DB's like Cincinnati's Sauce Gardner and Coby Bryant is alot harder than throwing against the current WVU secondary one on the worst in college football.

You make valid points too. We just disagree about how important the opponent is and I tend to over value home and away. So much so that there are games I wouldn't touch away but would bet it at home. I'd much rather play Utah at home then at Ricce Echols Stadium and would prefer to stay away from LSU in Death Valley.

OL no brainer give any QB time to set his feet and throw and he will preform better. Graham Harrell said that. One of the strategies teams use is try and disrupt the passer by sending extra guys and sit in zone and take advantage of bad passes. Cincinnati is known for this. Id rather have a average Qb with a great OL than a great QB behind a poor one.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
10-16-22. 7 games into season. NCAA and ESPN QBR systems.

Heisman race. Looks like CJ Stroud QB-Ohio St is the clear favorite. 2nd group: Hendon Hooker QB-Tennessee, Blake Corum RB-Michigan, Bryce Young QB-Bama. Others: DTR QB-UCLA, Stentson Bennett QB-UGA, Drake Maye QB-N.Carolina, Max Duggan QB-TCU, Caleb Williams QB-USC, Chase Brown RB-Illinois.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
10-23-22. 8 games into season. NCAA and ESPN QBR systems.

It's evident, the top ranked teams have a top dual threat, mobile, athletic QB. Clearly, the dual threat type QB is It vs the classic stand in pocket (Pro type). Pro style QB's are ancient history...

Last edited:

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
Neither Kedon Slovis nor JT Daniels have had the type seasons they expected when they transferred. 2 very good young men, but apparently with ceilings much lower than their early careers would have suggested. Both got banged up a lot, and being honest, they were more like statues as QBs, easy to sack. I would be careful recruiting pure dropback QBs nowadays. I doubt either has a future in the NFL, which is too bad, because early on, they looked draftable.

Reactions: Canyon.usc

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Neither Kedon Slovis nor JT Daniels have had the type seasons they expected when they transferred. 2 very good young men, but apparently with ceilings much lower than their early careers would have suggested. Both got banged up a lot, and being honest, they were more like statues as QBs, easy to sack. I would be careful recruiting pure dropback QBs nowadays. I doubt either has a future in the NFL, which is too bad, because early on, they looked draftable.
Yep it's too bad. Seen JT in 5 games this season. To his defense his OL can't pass protect for sheet and his Wr's are pretty bad. Many times JT throws into a spot and the Wr's are running a complete different route. JT and his bad Wr's are not on the same page many times. Maybe it's C.GHarrell O that's the culprit?

Dang, hate to say this JT QB play this season = mediocre. His passes are off the mark, and does not have the zip/velocity I remember. Even on his long throws which was his strength is off the mark. And, when the pocket breaks down (which is often) he can't run and extend plays (takes sacks). We all know, C.GH does not like his QB's run the ball. His QB's are sitting ducks with bad OL. Shoot, it does not look good for JT and the NFL draft.

W Va has a very good run game though, their OL blocks well in run plays.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
11-06-22. 9 games into season. NCAA and ESPN QBR systems.

As of 11-06-22, Heisman Race, Final 5

CJ Stroud, Ohio St
Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
Caleb Williams, USC
Max Duggan, TCU
Bo Nix, Oregon

Last edited:
Reactions: shtrojan

shtrojan

Aug 11, 2019
Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
WVa QB, JT Daniels was pulled in the 2nd quarter today against Oklahoma. Yeah, I understand the decision. JT was not playing well, 3 and out, 7/12 passing, 65 yds, 1 IT, 2 sacks. WVa O was ragged under him and he's been subpar for the last 3 games. Man, something is up with JT? He is regressing as a QB and it's painful to watch.

I'm wondering if he's playing with a slight injury to his throwing arm? His passes are off, his decision making are off, shoot this is not the QB I've seen over the years.

His replacement, Garrett Green gave WVa the spark and beat OU.

Shoot OU has problems, would not want to be in C.Venables shoes right now.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
11-12-22. 10 games into season. NCAA and ESPN QBR systems.

After 11-12-22 games, Predicting the Top 5 Finalist, Heisman, New York.

CJ Stroud, Ohio St.
Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
Caleb Williams, USC
Max Duggan, TCU
Drake Maye, UNC

Stroud should win in a land slide, with Hooker getting 2nd most votes. It seems TV announcers are always saying exceptional things and praising Caleb. I predicted last week, Bo Nix as a finalist, but with Oregon's loss yesterday a final 5 invite is out the window. Same with DTR-UCLA losing to Arizona did him in. There's 3 more FB games, 2 regular games + the conference championship game. These 5 QB's listed above must continue putting up good numbers + win games.

And, I do not think last year winner, Bryce Young will be invited to NY...

Last edited:

BiggDaddy

Sep 3, 2021
My favorite longshot is Max Duggan of TCU. He's still at 50-1 on FanDuel (am I reading that correctly?) and if he can get an undefeated TCU into the playoffs and the Heisman vote is in early December...look out! Plus the media loves a cinderella story that becomes Masters Champion.

Username1

Sep 12, 2021
C.J. Stroud was a local product at Rancho Cucamonga that USC didn't even bother to recruit

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah Stroud has had a phenomenal year so far, but put any of the top QB's on that Ohio St team and awesome OL and they would do just as well. If Stroud were on a team with an average OL, he would struggle. He can't run, escape and get positive yards, extend plays with his feet, unlike Caleb, Hooker, Bennett, DTR, Nix, Duggan, Maye. Stroud has a Golden Arm for sure, but he is protected under a great OL.

Reactions: sc69er and uscvball

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
C.J. Stroud was a local product at Rancho Cucamonga that USC didn't even bother to recruit
Incorrect. USC offered Stroud, DJ Uiagalelei and Bryce Young for the 2020 class. Bryce had committed early, as a junior and told Helton he was all in through out his senior year. So, respecting Byrce hard commitment, USC laid low recruiting Stroud and DJ. Then, with something like 2 months before signing period, Bryce decommitted and flipped for Bama. USC was caught holding the bag. I think they tried for Uiagalelei and maybe Stroud, even though they were already committed to Clemson and Ohio St, but it was the little to late type deal.

It was all pretty much F/Up for USC's QB 2020 class. They ended up with no QB.

USC learned a hard lesson in 2020. So they recruited and offered many QB's in 2021 class. Jake Garcia 4* from LA, moved to Georgia was a long time commit. Then, Miller Moss 4*, Alemany HS committed. Helton and G.Harrell were skeptical with Garcia as time went on (he took a lot of trips to other schools) and went after Jaxson Dart, 4* Utah real hard/all in. Dart commits to USC. And, as expected Garcia de-commits. That year worked out well for USC, smart recruiting move.

Lesson for any school cover your bases and do not take commitments as real and a done deal. Every year players change their minds/commitments and flip schools.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
11-19-22. 11 games into season. NCAA and ESPN QBR systems.

Maybe Stroud is no longer the leader and favorite? 2 games in the row he has had only mediocre performances. And, with Tennessee losing Saturday + Hooker season ending knee injury, it does look good for him. The dark horse has to be Caleb Williams. Yesterday performance was crazy good. If he continues with that type of play in the last 2 games + USC win the ND game and take the PAC 12 title, I believe he could win the Heisman. As of today, he will be among the final 5 invites to NY (hopefully I'm not jinxing him)?

PAC 12, premier league for QB's. Amazing the PAC 12 has 6 top, highly rated QB's. Caleb Williams-USC, Penix-UDub, Nix-Ducks, DTR-UCLA, De Laura-Arizona, C.Rising-Utah. It's obvious, the PAC 12 puts a premium on the Offense; it's a passing league...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
1-26-22. 12 games into season. NCAA and ESPN QBR systems.

Total Offense: Passing + Rushing

Responsible for Total Points.

These offensive stats show why Caleb deserves the Heisman. He's top 5 in most offensive categories = top dual threat QB. For me it's not just the stats and superior athletic abilities, but his intangibles that separate him apart from other QB's and players. He's a fierce competitor, has a sheet load of Moxie/Mojo, smart, kool under pressure, team leader, affable, like able, always smiling, great arm, field general, humble, very mature beyond his age, class act all da way.

Prop36

Oct 4, 2022
I was cracking up when he dropped back way deep and pretty much lured the ND DL to come get him just so he could run past them.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
12-04-22. 13 games into season. NCAA and ESPN QBR systems.

Caleb Williams is listed in top 5 of these Offensive stats categories. As of Sunday, 12-4-22, CW was listed as the front leader for the Heisman with a Las Vegas -2500 betting odds. Strangely this morning Vegas betting odds as Stroud the new leader and CW falling to 3rd, with Bryce Young as 2nd. I'm not a betting man, looks like things changed over night in Vegas betting. In my mind Caleb Willaims is the Best FB player in the country...

Prop36

Oct 4, 2022
12-04-22. 13 games into season. NCAA and ESPN QBR systems.

Caleb Williams is listed in top 5 of these Offensive stats categories. As of Sunday, 12-4-22, CW was listed as the front leader for the Heisman with a Las Vegas -2500 betting odds. Strangely this morning Vegas betting odds as Stroud the new leader and CW falling to 3rd, with Bryce Young as 2nd. I'm not a betting man, looks like things changed over night in Vegas betting. In my mind Caleb Willaims is the Best FB player in the country...
If Caleb doesn’t win it’s probably because of early voting.

Latest posts