NCAA QB Ratings

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
After 3 weeks into the season, here is the NCAA QB ratings list.

#2 is CJ Stroud-Ohio St, #7 Caleb Williams-USC, #11 Stetson Bennett-UGA, #12 Mike Penix-UDub, #37 Jaxson Dart-Ole Miss, #29 Bryce Young-Bama, #65 JT Daniels-WVa, #102 Spencer Rattler-South Carolina (transfer Oklahoma).

Still early, looks like CJ Stroud, Caleb Williams, Stetson Bennet race for the Heisman. Shoot, Bryce Young has a lot of ground to make up.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjg4sc and Pudly76

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017

#2 is CJ Stroud-Ohio St, #7 Caleb Williams-USC, #11 Stetson Bennett-UGA, #12 Mike Penix-UDub, #37 Jaxson Dart-Ole Miss, #29 Bryce Young-Bama, #65 JT Daniels-WVa,
#102 Spencer Rattler-South Carolina (transfer Oklahoma).

Still early, looks like CJ Stroud, Caleb Williams, Stetson Bennet race for the Heisman. Shoot, Bryce Young has a lot of ground to make up.

Right now, Bryce Young should still be the favorite.
This award isn’t stat based. It’s “ moment” based, and he already had his Moment, against Texas. He’ll probably have a few more too.
Caleb’s issue, is he isn’t going to be playing on a big stage this year. Ohio St, Bama and UGA will all have multiple Big Stage games.

If Caleb can’t win it, I hope Bennett does. Incredible against the odds story. Makes Rudy, seem mostly made up.

Which it mostly was.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
This award isn’t stat based. It’s “ moment” based, and he already had his Moment, against Texas. He’ll probably have a few more too.
Caleb’s issue, is he isn’t going to be playing on a big stage this year. Ohio St, Bama and UGA will all have multiple Big Stage games.

If Caleb can’t win it, I hope Bennett does. Incredible against the odds story. Makes Rudy, seem mostly made up.

Which it mostly was.
Bruddah good points. I've seen all these QB's play this season. In my opinion of the top 10 ranked schools, CJ Stroud, C.Williams and S.Bennett are playing the best after 3 games. Man, Bryce and Bama's O are Off. His Wr's are having issues with separation and bad routes. So far Bryce is not playing like his 2021 Heisman season, maybe it has to do with Bama's OC and his play calling? Bryce is off his game this early 2022 season. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Bryce Young (Mater Dei fan) but after 3 games, I feel Stroud, Williams and Bennett are playing way better than him...

If USC goes 12-0, 11-1 and has a final rankings in the top 5 and Caleb continues his hot streak, he could end up winning the Heisman. We will see, it's a long ways to go, lots of football left...

PS. Man Spencer Rattler is mightily struggling this season. I've seen him play 2 times, no wonder C.LR replaced him with Caleb Williams at Oklahoma last year. I can not see how Rattler was a highly rated HS QB? I would not be surprised if the S.Carolina coach replace him as their starting QB...

Edit. Sorry did not mean to bash Rattler, my memory failed me (old age people). Actually, Rattler had a great Freshmen year (2020) at Oklahoma. SR threw for 3,030 yds, 28 TD's, 173 QBR and 9-2 season for Oklahoma. SR was 11th in the 2020 Heisman race, Devonta Smith won it, QB's (Trevor Lawrence-Clemson #2, Mac Jones-Bama #3, Kyle Trash-Florida #4, Justin Fields-Ohio St #7, Zach Wilson-BYU #8, Ian Brooke-Notre Dame #10) 2020 there were so many amazing QB's. 2021 pre-season Spencer was the leading favorite to win it, but 5 games into the season, losing games was benched for C.Williams. Anyway, 2022 season he is struggling to regain that high level form...

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

Which it mostly was.
Bama's WR's aren't helping Young out here.

Bennett hasn't played a 4th quarter yet this season. Imagine what his stats might have been if so.

Will Anderson might have had a shot but that game against Texas.....

Reactions: Canyon.usc

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Bruddah good points. I've seen all these QB's play this season. In my evaluation of the top 10 ranked schools, CJ Stroud, C.Williams and S.Bennett are the best QB's. Man, Bryce and Bama's O are Off. His Wr's are having issues with separation and bad routes. So far Bryce is not playing like his 2021 season, maybe it has to with Bama's OC and his play calling? Bryce is off his game this early 2022 season. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Bryce Young (Mater Dei fan) but I feel Stroud, Williams and Bennett are playing way better than him...

If USC goes 12-1, 11-2 and has a final rankings in the top 5 and Caleb continues his hot streak, he could end up winning the Heisman. We will see, it's a long ways to go, lots of football left...

PS. Man Spencer Rattler is mightily struggling this season. I've seen him play 2 times, no wonder C.LR replaced him with Caleb Williams at Oklahoma last year. I can not see how Rattler was a highly rated QB? I would not be surprised if the S.Carolina coach replace him as their starting QB...
No disrespect to Spencer, but I’ve never been on his band wagon. He’s good, just will rarely be the one to pull the whole load. And I didn’t like how he trashed his previous program for recognizing the obvious.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"I’m just not a guy to prop people up to join my fraternity because they have a couple of good games,” Howard said during an appearance in Knoxville the day before Tennessee plays host to Florida with the ESPN College GameDay cast present.

“To me, is he a Davey O’Brien Trophy winner right now?” Howard said. “It’s amazing how people prop these players up and they may not even be the best at their position, but yet they always want to usher them into the fraternity I’m a member of. So I’m like, pump your brakes, hold on.”

-Desmond Howard on Stetson

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
The Heisman goes to the QB on the best team, period. It's how Gino Torretta won over Marshall Faulk.
Half right. No way on God's green earth does San Diego St. produce a Heisman over Miami. For starters, the level of competition isn't even comparable. Ty Detmer and Doug Flutie weren't on the best teams. Whelp, so much for that "period."

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
9-25-22. 4 Games into the Season.

Yesterday, 9-24-22 there were a few QB's that I heard about, but saw them for the 1st time this season. I was very impressed by them. Hell, these are very good QB's that the press do not cover much and give them good props. I think they should be up there among the top QB's in the nation.

1. Sam Hartman, Sr, Wake Forest. Wake Forest loss a high scoring game vs Clemson, 45-51. Man Hartman was impressive yesterday. His coach said, Hartman improve mucho this year by working out, put on 20 lbs and did a lot of passing with his WR's off season. Sam's day: 20/29 = 69%, 337 yds, 6 TD's, 0 IT, 235 QBR. Looked into his 3 game stats: 84-100 = 64%, 962 yds, 13 TD's, 184 QBR, but weird he was not listed in the NCAA QBR stats that I posted on Monday (must have been an error, he should have been #10 in nation). Add yesterday's performance, he should climb to #5. SH has good size (6-1, 215 lbs), strong arm, Golden Arm, mobile, smart. I like Sam Hartman as a QB.

2. Tau Tagovailoa, Sr, Maryland, transfer from Bama (younger brother of Tua, Bama and now in NFL). Maryland loss a close game vs. Michigan, 27-34. Tau performance yesterday: 20/30 = 67%, 207 yds, 1 TD, 122 QBR. Last weeks QBR, Tau was #13, 181 QBR. Tau is a very good QB, very mobile, good arm, smart. I like Tau as a QB.

3. Mike Pinex, Jr, UDub, transfer from Indiana. UDub beat Stanford, 40-22 yesterday. Saw Pinex 2 times this season, very impressive QB. Pinex performance yesterday: 22/37 = 59%, 309 yds, 2 TD, 147 QBR. Last week QBR, #12, 181 QBR. I like Pinex a lot, he has moxie/mojo, very good QB skills. UDub has a creative, balanced O. UDub is a much improved, different and very good FB team this year. UDub has a proficient QB running the O...

4. Hendon Hooker, Sr, Tennessee. Wow, what a sensational player and QB, great performance yesterday. Tennessee and Hooker beat U.Florida 38-33. Hooker performance: 22/28 = 79%, 349 yds, 2 TD, 207 QBR + 112 yds rushing. This QB was impressive, passing & running yesterday. Hooker has it all. Like him very much. Last week his QBR rankings = #18, next week he should climb to around #10.

5. Will Rodgers, Jr, Miss St. Seen Rodgers several times over 3 years, he's a hot and cold type QB. Miss St beat Bowling Green, 45-14. Rodger's performance: 39/50 = 78%, 409 yds, 6 TD, 186 QBR. Typical stats for a C.Leach O and QB. Rodgers fits well in C.Leach air raid O.

The Top QB's performance.

1. CJ Stroud, Soph, Ohio St. 17/27 = 63%, 281 yds, 5 TD, 204 QBR. CJ had an Xlent day at the office yesterday. Ohio St beat Wisconsin 51-21. What an impressive QB. Noticed he does no run with the ball? Looks like HC.RDay does not want him running the ball?

2. Bryce Young, Jr, Bama. 25/36 = 69%, 385 yds, 4 TD, 196 QBR. Bryce had a field day yesterday against Vanderbilt, winning 55-3. Sure Vandy is a below average FB team, but Bryce had a productive day at the office.

3. Stetson Bennett, Sr, UGA. UGA won a close game vs. Kent St, 33-14, things like this happens to the best teams during a FB season. Bennett's performance: 27/36 = 75%, 272 yds, 0 TD, I IT, 133 QBR. SB had a solid day yesterday.

4. Caleb Williams, Soph, USC. USC squeaked out a close win vs. Oregon St, 17-14. Caleb's performance: 16/36 = 44%, 180 yds, 1 TD, 0 IT, 95 QBR. Man, USC Wr's could not get separation and were blanketed by O St DB's all game. Caleb did well scrambling for 1st downs and extending plays. Wow, on the winning TD pass play with 1 minute left, CW threw a perfect, clutch pass; Addison was opened only for a split second, the DB closed in fast. It was a great catch by Addison. Caleb must put this lousy game behind him and move on. Caleb Williams is one of the best QB's in the nation and glad he's our QB.

5. QB Duel by Very Good, Senior QB's. Adrian Martinez, Sr, Kansas St vs. Dillon Gabriel, Sr, Oklahoma. Kansas ST won a close game, 41-34.

Adrian Martinez, Sr, Kansas St (transfer Nebraska). Martinez had a decent career at Nebraska. Looks like he found a team that he can put his QB skills together and win games. Adrian performance: 21/34 = 62%, 234 yds, 1 TD, 129 QBR + 148 yds rushing. AM had a very good game yesterday using his arm and legs.

Dillon Gabriel, Sr, Oklahoma (transfer from UCF and replacement for Caleb Williams) is from Mililani HS, Oahu, Hi. Dillon performance yesterday: 26/39 = 67%, 330 yds, 4 TD, 172 QBR + 61 yds rushing. Martinez and Gabriel had quiet a QB duel yesterday...

Dillon and DeLaura, Arizona (transfer from Wash St) played at St. Louis HS, Honolulu, Hi. They were Hawaii's top 2 QB's at the time. Dillon & Delaura put up insane numbers and had great duels when their HS met. They were Co-All State QB's.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
4. Caleb Williams, Soph, USC. USC squeaked out a close win vs. Oregon St, 17-14. Caleb's performance: 16/36 = 44%, 180 yds, 1 TD, 0 IT, 95 QBR. Man, USC Wr's could not get separation and were blanketed by O St DB's all game. Caleb did well scrambling for 1st downs and extending plays. Wow, on the winning TD pass play with 1 minute left, CW threw a perfect, clutch pass; Addison was opened only for a split second, the DB closed in fast. It was a great catch by Addison. Caleb must put this lousy game behind him and move on. Caleb Williams is one of the best QB's in the nation and glad he's our QB.

Yes, that last throw was nice. But come on. He had a terrible game. He missed many wide open receivers, often by several yards and sometimes on throws that were no more than 10yrds in the air.
Sure the DB's for OSU played well, but there were plenty of open throws that were not hit.

Let's hope he never has another game like that.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017

#2 is CJ Stroud-Ohio St, #7 Caleb Williams-USC, #11 Stetson Bennett-UGA, #12 Mike Penix-UDub, #37 Jaxson Dart-Ole Miss, #29 Bryce Young-Bama, #65 JT Daniels-WVa, #102 Spencer Rattler-South Carolina (transfer Oklahoma).

I use to buy into this more but from watching alot of games in different regions I've come to discover the QBR system is basically worthless. Gotta go with what you see.

1. Some teams take out their QB early.
Like Veebs said Stetson Bennett should have bigger stats. Kirby pulls his QB's early. He doesn't get a chance to pad his stats against bad teams. JT Daniels was taken out in the second Qtr in the Towson blowout (His stats say 1 TD and 200 yards) for the game but that was just 1/2 a game.

2. Some QB's play behind a better OL.
Again Stetson Bennett will have all the time in the world to throw the ball compared to a Chase Nolan at Oregon State .

3. Some QB's play in a soft schedule.
Compare the UCLA schedule to WVU. UCLA has played 3 FCS and the worst Pac 12 team. WVU has played 2 rivalry games on the road in 4 weeks.

4. Some teams just throw the ball with no regard for the run.
Miss State Will Rogers who is in the top 5 in yards passing but he gets more chances than the average QB

5. This is new. Some teams run their entire offense through the QB running and passing.

So in a way your taking the RB's stats and adding them to the QB's from designed runs. They seldomly give up the ball. (Adrian Martinez K-State, Daniels Kansas) They will have more touches and chances to pad stats

6. Some teams have better WR's, advantage for the QB.
Stetson Bennett again. (Ladd McConkey and Brock Bowers) JT Daniels WR's have drop issues. In one game they had 7 drops for 157 yards. He's had 4 TD's dropped to do date. That is not an exaggeration. These are balls that hit the guy in both hands and were dropped. Two last game and he had 1 pick 6 go off his wr's hands. His stats say 7 td 2 Ints. Without the drops he should be 11 Td's 1 int.

The biggest factor are the OL's and schedule. Playing FCS opponents at home is alot easier than playing Pitt on the road.

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
9-25-22. 4 Games into the Season.

Yesterday, 9-24-22 there were a few QB's that I heard about, but saw them for the 1st time this season. I was very impressed by them. Hell, these are very good QB's that the press do not cover much and give them good props. I think they should be up there among the top QB's in the nation.

1. Sam Hartman, Sr, Wake Forest. Wake Forest loss a high scoring game vs Clemson, 45-51. Man Hartman was impressive yesterday. His coach said, Hartman improve mucho this year by working out, put on 20 lbs and did a lot of passing with his WR's off season. Sam's day: 20/29 = 69%, 337 yds, 6 TD's, 0 IT, 235 QBR. Looked into his 3 game stats: 84-100 = 64%, 962 yds, 13 TD's, 184 QBR, but weird he was not listed in the NCAA QBR stats that I posted on Monday (must have been an error, he should have been #10 in nation). Add yesterday's performance, he should climb to #5. SH has good size (6-1, 215 lbs), strong arm, Golden Arm, mobile, smart. I like Sam Hartman as a QB.

2. Tau Tagovailoa, Sr, Maryland, transfer from Bama (younger brother of Tua, Bama and now in NFL). Maryland loss a close game vs. Michigan, 27-34. Tau performance yesterday: 20/30 = 67%, 207 yds, 1 TD, 122 QBR. Last weeks QBR, Tau was #13, 181 QBR. Tau is a very good QB, very mobile, good arm, smart. I like Tau as a QB.

3. Mike Pinex, Jr, UDub, transfer from Indiana. UDub beat Stanford, 40-22 yesterday. Saw Pinex 2 times this season, very impressive QB. Pinex performance yesterday: 22/37 = 59%, 309 yds, 2 TD, 147 QBR. Last week QBR, #12, 181 QBR. I like Pinex a lot, he has moxy/mojo, very good QB skills. UDub has a creative, balanced O. UDub is a much improved, different and very good FB team this year. UDub has a proficient QB running the O...

4. Hendon Hooker, Sr, Tennessee. Wow, what a sensational player and QB, great performance yesterday. Tennessee and Hooker beat U.Florida 38-33. Hooker performance: 22/28 = 79%, 349 yds, 2 TD, 207 QBR + 112 yds rushing. This QB was impressive, passing & running yesterday. Hooker has it all. Like him very much. Last week his QBR rankings = #18, next week he should climb to around #10.

5. Will Rodgers, Jr, Miss St. Seen Rodgers several times over 3 years, he's a hot and cold type QB. Miss St beat Bowling Green, 45-14. Rodger's performance: 39/50 = 78%, 409 yds, 6 TD, 186 QBR. Typical stats for a C.Leach O and QB. Rodgers fits well in C.Leach air raid O.

The Top QB's performance.

1. CJ Stroud, Soph, Ohio St. 17/27 = 63%, 281 yds, 5 TD, 204 QBR. CJ had an Xlent day at the office yesterday. Ohio St beat Wisconsin 51-21. What an impressive QB. Noticed he does no run with the ball? Looks like HC.RDay does not want him to run?

2. Bryce Young, Jr, Bama. 25/36 = 69%, 385 yds, 4 TD, 196 QBR. Bryce had a field day yesterday against Vanderbilt, winning 55-3. Sure Vandy is a below average FB team, but Bryce had a productive day at the office.

3. Stetson Bennett, Sr, UGA. UGA won a close game vs. Kent St, 33-14, things like this happens to the best teams during a FB season. Bennett's performance: 27/36 = 75%, 272 yds, 0 TD, I IT, 133 QBR. SB had a solid day yesterday.

5. QB Duel by Very Good, Senior QB's. Adrian Martinez, Sr, Kansas St vs. Dillon Gabriel, Sr, Oklahoma. Kansas ST won a close game, 41-34.

Adrian Martinez, Sr, Kansas St (transfer Nebraska). Martinez had a decent career at Nebraska. Looks like he found a team that he can put his QB skills together and win games. Adrian performance: 21/34 = 62%, 234 yds, 1 TD, 129 QBR + 148 yds rushing. AM had a very good game yesterday using his arm and legs.

Dillon Gabriel, Sr, Oklahoma (transfer from UCF and replacement for Caleb Williams) is from Mililani HS, Oahu, Hi. Dillon performance yesterday: 26/39 = 67%, 330 yds, 4 TD, 172 QBR + 61 yds rushing. Martinez and Gabriel had quiet a QB duel yesterday...

Dillon and DeLaura, Arizona (transfer from Wash St) played at St. Louis HS, Honolulu, Hi. They were Hawaii's top 2 QB's at the time. Dillon & Delaura put up insane numbers and had great duels when their HS met. They were Co-All State QB's.
Some data on Caleb:

In addition to Oregon State, Caleb has had his worst games when he's faced the toughest defenses, which were his final 3 games at OU.

In those 3 games, both of his losses as a starter came vs Top 10 defenses (Baylor and Oklahoma State) and they only beat Iowa State (Top 20 D) 28-21.

Also, in those 3 game his stats were:

37/75 (49.3%)for 481 yards (160.3 per game), 6.4 yards per attempt, 4 TDs, 3 picks ,13 sacks

Minus the picks it doesn't look too different from what we saw vs Oregon State:

16/36 (44.4 %) , 180 yards 5.0 yards per attempt, 1TD, 0 picks, 2 sacks

The 3 games Caleb had double digit rushes (13.6 per game) were in those 3 games, the toughest 3 defenses he faced with the best 3 D coordinators ( Baylor's Aranda HC- Ron Roberts DC, OK State's Knowles, and Iowa State's Heacock). He only had 26 carries in his 3 starts(plus the Texas game he took over for Rattler in) outside of those 3 games (6.5 per). Caleb runs when Riley faces schemes that have answers to what he's presenting, and when he has to due to pressure from the D. I don't have an exact number on how many of those rushes were actually QB designed runs either.

He's only averaged 9 carries a game over the 4 games so far this year. From my recollection, most of these haven't been QB designed at all either.

I wouldn't just brush off the OSU game as just him having had a bad game. He's had multiple bad games when facing tough defenses, and Oregon State's D this year is only 41st in the nation (22.0 ppg - all stats FBS vs FBS games only), though this year the top defenses are conspicuously stingier when you look at the rankings as there are 29 teams at 20.0 points or under (FBS vs FBS games only). Last year only 15 teams finished at 20.0 points or lower. Perhaps it's mostly due to P5 teams beating up on out of conference FBS cupcakes early and things will look a bit more normal as conference play increases.

The good news is Utah (18th- 16.3 ppg) is the only Top 20 defense we'll likely face for the remainder of the year although UCLA and Wazzu are T-37th at 21.7 ppg which is better than Oregon State, Cal is 45th at 23.0 ppg, and Notre Dame is 54th but only giving up 23.0 ppg.

Regardless, Caleb needs to play better in "big" games vs legit defenses and more importantly Lincoln needs to have better gameplans when facing non-JAG coordinators who don't just lay down and take his sht.

Last edited:

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Yes, that last throw was nice. But come on. He had a terrible game. He missed many wide open receivers, often by several yards and sometimes on throws that were no more than 10yrds in the air.
Sure the DB's for OSU played well, but there were plenty of open throws that were not hit.

Let's hope he never has another game like that.
I have yet to see the whole game, but wasn't he 6 for 18 at half-time? Not too good.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Some data on Caleb:

In addition to Oregon State, Caleb has had his worst games when he's faced the toughest defenses, which were his final 3 games at OU.

In those 3 games, both of his losses as a starter came vs Top 10 defenses (Baylor and Oklahoma State) and they only beat Iowa State (Top 20 D) 28-21.

37/75 (49.3%)for 481 yards (160.3 per game), 6.4 yards per attempt, 4 TDs, 3 picks ,13 sacks

The 3 games Caleb had double digit rushes (13.6 per game) were in those 3 games, the toughest 3 defenses he faced with the best 3 D coordinators ( Baylor's Aranda HC- Ron Roberts DC, OK State's Knowles, and Iowa State's Heacock). He only had 26 carries in his 3 starts(plus the Texas game he took over for Rattler in) outside of those 3 games (6.5 per). Caleb runs when Riley faces schemes that have answers to what he's presenting, and when he has to due to pressure from the D. I don't have an exact number on how many of those rushes were actually QB designed runs either.

So I wouldn't say he's a sophomore used to running as much as he passes. He's only averaged 9 carries a game over the 4 this year. From my recollection, most of these haven't been QB designed at all either.

I also wouldn't say he just had a bad game either. He's had multiple bad games when facing tough defenses, and Oregon State's D this year is 41st in the nation (22.0 ppg - all stats FBS vs FBS games only), though this year the top defenses are conspicuously stingier when you look at the rankings as there are 29 teams at 20.0 points or under (FBS vs FBS games only). Last year 15 teams finished at 20.0 points or lower. Perhaps it's mostly due to P5 teams beating up on out of conference FBS cupcakes early and things will look a bit more normal as conference play increases.

The good news is Utah (18th- 16.3 ppg) is the only Top 20 defense we'll likely face for the remainder of the year although UCLA and Wazzu are T-37th at 21.7 ppg which is better than Oregon State, Cal is 45th at 23.0 ppg, and Notre Dame is 54th but only giving up 23.0 ppg.

Regardless, Caleb needs to play better in "big" games vs legit defenses and more importantly Lincoln needs to have better gameplans when facing non-JAG coordinators who don't just lay down and take his sht.

I have not seen any of those other games. But if he played like he did against OSU, then it seems like it it must be a mental issue.
Many of his errant throws were not because he was trying to fit into a tight window or there was a rusher in his face. He missed very open receivers with a clear throwing lane.
Heck, he even missed the check down to the back how many times? 3?

Reactions: Pudly76

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Stetson Bennett again. (Ladd McConkey and Brock Bowers) JT Daniels WR's have drop issues. In one game they had 7 drops for 157 yards. He's had 4 TD's dropped to do date. That is not an exaggeration. These are balls that hit the guy in both hands and were dropped. Two last game and he had 1 pick 6 go off his wr's hands. His stats say 7 td 2 Ints. Without the drops he should be 11 Td's 1 int.
McConkey is the #3 WR and on Saturday, he had the worst game of his career in a Georgia uniform which included 2 fumbles and several dropped passes. Brock Bowers is a TE and on Saturday was used more like a FB/RB. His 75 yard TD run was on a jet sweep, not a pass. The 2 of them combined for a paltry 11 catches and 125 yards...0 TD's in the air. AD Mitchell didn't play, Blaylock is still limited as is Kearis Jackson. Bennett typically hits around 10 different receivers each game and he nearly got that Saturday but didn't throw one TD pass. They do not have a break away WR at this point.

What happened Saturday is they went to the run and had 258....a season high.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Some data on Caleb:

He's only averaged 9 carries a game over the 4 games so far this year. From my recollection, most of these haven't been QB designed at all either.

I wouldn't just brush off the OSU game as just him having had a bad game. He's had multiple bad games when facing tough defenses, and Oregon State's D this year is only 41st in the nation (22.0 ppg - all stats FBS vs FBS games only), though this year the top defenses are conspicuously stingier when you look at the rankings as there are 29 teams at 20.0 points or under (FBS vs FBS games only). Last year only 15 teams finished at 20.0 points or lower. Perhaps it's mostly due to P5 teams beating up on out of conference FBS cupcakes early and things will look a bit more normal as conference play increases.

Good points. But, in his defense many times the pass protection broke down, forcing him to scramble. Several times CW escaped and ran for positive yards and 1st downs. Most QB's would have gotten sacked, but CW has an innate ability to scramble & extend plays with his feet. Every player, team even coaches will experience bad days. It's a given. It's impossible to play at a high level every time. We all saw Caleb had a bad passing day, but I still feel he's a top rated QB in the nation. We have to realize he is only a Soph.

Most importantly, CW pulled out his best in the last 3 1/2 minutes of the game, drove the team and made one heck of a throw to Addison for the winning TD and score. Also, CW 4th down run, with the help of his OL push got that crucial 1st down, keeping that critical drive alive.

Besides his enormous QB skills and talent, what I really like about CW are his intangibles, he's a fierce competitor, has Moxie/Mojo, very nice young man, very positive attitude, and strong leader. On camera shots of the sidelines, you see him pumping up teammates and going over things with C.LR and his Wr's. He gets excited when the D makes a big play, he is all for the team.

Man, USC D played exceptionally well. I'm starting to like our D a lot. Cheers...

Last edited:

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
We have to realize he is only a Soph.
And, as the announcers pointed out, that was his 12th game played. So he finally, 4 games into this season, has the equivalent of 1 season under his belt.

This should not be forgotten, especially when talking about last years stats.

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
Good points. But, in his defense many times the pass protection broke down, forcing him to scramble. Several times CW escaped and ran for positive yards and 1st downs. Most QB's would have gotten sacked, but CW has an innate talent to scramble & extend plays with his feet. Every player, team even coaches will experience bad days. It's a given. It's impossible to play at a high level every time. We all saw Caleb had a bad passing day, but I still feel he's a top rated QB in the nation. We have to realize he is only a Soph.

Most importantly, CW pulled out his best in the last 3 1/2 minutes of the game, drove the team and made one heck of a throw to Addison for the winning TD and score. Also, CW 4th down run, with the help of his OL push got that crucial 1st down.

Besides his enormous QB skills and talent, what I really like about CW, he's a fierce competitor and strong leader. On camera shots of the sidelines, you see him pumping up teammates and going over things with C.LR and his Wr's.

Man, USC D played exceptionally well. I'm starting to like our D a lot. Cheers...
I wasn't criticizing Caleb's running. I noted the 13 sacks in the 3 big games last year and pointed out how he runs more when facing the tough defenses, whether Lincoln resorts to more QB designed runs or if they're due to pressure or receivers not gaining separation. The running stats just highlighted a pattern/trend.

His passing has been bad in all 4 games discussed though. Again, we can't chalk all this up to him "having a bad game" if it's happened in the last 4 "big" games he's played. At what point is something not an isolated incident and more likely a trend?

People keep playing the youth card, and I understand that, but this is big boy football and if you're a starting QB at a Power 5 school, a blueblood at that, then you are open to any and all criticism just as if you were a 6th year COVID Sr. No one doubts guys get better with age, but I'm not going to spend the entire year writing off bad performances and glaring issues because the guy is a sophomore and has "only" started so and so amount of games. How many games is the cutoff for that excuse to be used? And note this is his second year in the system under what many are claiming is one of if not the best OC in college ball. Let's take all that into account as well.

Let's not treat Caleb Williams or Lincoln Riley with kid gloves. They get enormous amounts of praise and adulation and need to be held accountable and called out when their performance is suspect or not up to par just like everyone else is.

Last edited:

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
I wasn't criticizing Caleb's running. I noted the 13 sacks in the 3 big games last year and pointed out how he runs more when facing the tough defenses, whether Lincoln resorts to more QB designed runs or if they're due to pressure or receivers not gaining separation. The running stats just highlighted a pattern/trend.

His passing has been bad in all 4 games discussed though. Again, we can't chalk all this up to him "having a bad game" if it's happened in the last 4 "big" games he's played. At what point is something not an isolated incident and more likely a trend?

People keep playing the youth card, and I understand that, but this is big boy football and if you're a starting QB at a Power 5 school, a blueblood at that, then you are open to any and all criticism just as if you were a 6th year COVID Sr. No one doubts guys get better with age, but I'm not going to spend the entire year writing off bad performances and glaring issues because the guy is a sophomore and has "only" started so and so amount of games. How many games is the cutoff for that excuse to be used? And note this is his second year in the system under what many are claiming is one of if not the best OC in college ball. Let's take all that into account as well.

Let's not treat Caleb Williams or Lincoln Riley with kid gloves. They get enormous amounts of praise and adulation and need to be held accountable and called out when their performance is suspect or not up to par just like everyone else is.
Mostly true.
But any QB is going to play worse when playing against the better defenses they are facing.

I am going to judge him on this years performance, not last years.
Against OSU he was missing wide open receivers by a long margin and not because he was under pressure, he was just missing them.

I saw this same thing in the 2nd half against Stanford.

So, my impression so far is that he can be very streaky in his performance.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

No I hear you. You make valid points. But, I won't be as hard on CW, he's young and still learning and improving on his QB skills. Heck, he has guided this team with a sharp turn around and helped it with an undefeated record so far (4-0). Heck, after the crappy FB teams that C.Helton produced, this C.LR and Caleb Williams team is sweet as apple pie. I'm a Happy Camper and looking forward to the up coming games. Cheers...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
NM, my Bad. I was gonna post something. Took a lunch break, came back and saw this new tread open, but completely forgot what I was gonna say/write. This is a good example of senility people. Wipe out...

I'm off to swimming laps at one of our community pools, later...

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
NM, my Bad. I was gonna post something, took a lunch break. Came back and saw this new tread open, but completely forgot what I was gonna say/write. This is a good example of senility people. Wipe out...

I'm off to swimming laps at one of our community pools, later...
Been there, done that…

just can’t remember when

Yale

Sep 29, 2017

I looked at it and Williams is 29th in q/b efficiency ,that makes him 2nd in Pac12 behind ucla q/b and just 1 place above Oregon and Utah q/b's...he was probably ranked better before the Ore St performance.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Been there, done that…

just can’t remember when
Eh Bruddah, welcome to the club, LOL :LOL:
I looked at it and Williams is 29th in q/b efficiency ,that makes him 2nd in Pac12 behind ucla q/b and just 1 place above Oregon and Utah q/b's...he was probably ranked better before the Ore St performance.
Last week, after 3 games CW was 7th in the NCAA QBR, and yeah after this past weekend (4 games) he did drop down to 29th. It's a long season, CW can recover and get back into the top 10 again...

Last edited:

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Only way Williams wins the HT this year is if all his remaining games look like his Rice outing and we make the playoff final.

Unfortunately, he severely hurt his chances these last 2 weeks. He can climb back in it, but he’s definitely a long shot now.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I use to buy into this more but from watching alot of games in different regions I've come to discover the QBR system is basically worthless. Gotta go with what you see.

Like Veebs said Stetson Bennett should have bigger stats. Kirby pulls his QB's early. He doesn't get a chance to pad his stats against bad teams. JT Daniels was taken out in the second Qtr in the Towson blowout (His stats say 1 TD and 200 yards) for the game but that was just 1/2 a game.

Again Stetson Bennett will have all the time in the world to throw the ball compared to a Chase Nolan at Oregon State .

Compare the UCLA schedule to WVU. UCLA has played 3 FCS and the worst Pac 12 team. WVU has played 2 rivalry games on the road in 4 weeks.

Miss State Will Rogers who is in the top 5 in yards passing but he gets more chances than the average QB

5. This is new. Some teams run their entire offense through the QB running and passing.

So in a way your taking the RB's stats and adding them to the QB's from designed runs. They seldomly give up the ball. (Adrian Martinez K-State, Daniels Kansas) They will have more touches and chances to pad stats

The biggest factor are the OL's and schedule. Playing FCS opponents at home is alot easier than playing Pitt on the road.
Bruddah HRP, Great perspective and agree to most of your views and points. Always nice to see and read what your FB mind thinks. Thanxs Coach for sharing your thoughts on QB's...

PS. Poor JT Daniels, he is trying his best, but his Wr's and OL are unreliable. WVa OL run blocks well but are poor pass blockers. I know pass protection is tougher, but come on, JT can hardly set his feet and must hurry his passes or scramble for his life.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017

Solid post.

Like most statistics they're usually misused and misunderstood, are no more than a point-in-time snapshot, taken in generally poor lighting, from a certain definable, but rarely defined, point-of-reference.

ACETrojan

Aug 24, 2017

Which it mostly was.
I disagree. If we go to Utah undefeated and they have only one loss a win there would be huge for him (provided he plays well of course)

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
In 1956, Paul Horning won the Heisman on a Notre Dame team that won only two games and lost eight.

He also plowed more fields than most of us have ever driven past; @Trojanfaninbama being a glaring exception to the rule. ;)
Let's not act like the Fresno State game he was awful.

View attachment 239295

Reading comprehension issues? Who said he was "awful"? Not me. I said he didn't perform at the same god-like level he did in the first 2 weeks. Factually, he didn't. Wasn't even close. You may be the only one in 'Merika who doesn't know that.

What is it with you? CW's game v. FSU was not nearly what he did in week 1 or 2. He knows it, why don't you? He missed WIDE OPEN receivers on several occasions, instead unsuccessfully tried to force the ball into double coverage, the ball sailed high on a number of chances and tanked it into the turf on a couple of other occasions and, instead of getting rid of the ball and preserving the LOS, instead he waltzed OB under pressure and took a loss on a number of plays.

Stop and smell the coffee.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
He also plowed more fields than most of us have ever driven past; @Trojanfaninbama being a glaring exception to the rule. ;)

Reading comprehension issues? Who said he was "awful"? Not me. I said he didn't perform at the same god-like level he did in the first 2 weeks. Factually, he didn't. Wasn't even close. You may be the only one in 'Merika who doesn't know that.

What is it with you? CW's game v. FSU was not nearly what he did in week 1 or 2. He knows it, why don't you? He missed WIDE OPEN receivers on several occasions, instead unsuccessfully tried to force the ball into double coverage, the ball sailed high on a number of chances and tanked it into the turf on a couple of other occasions and, instead of getting rid of the ball and preserving the LOS, instead he waltzed OB under pressure and took a loss on a number of plays.

Stop and smell the coffee.

Dude. What's your problem?
Did you wake up and take an ***-hole pill?

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019

Not mad at the take, but I can't necessarily agree with "The biggest factor are the OL's and schedule. Playing FCS opponents at home is alot easier than playing Pitt on the road." I'd need some evidence or something. I don't really care much about QBR. If I do rate or rank guys, I try to do it based on tape, taking many of the factors yo referenced.

Latest posts