Notice any trend in TV advertising?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
#1 trend that I am seeing on TV is suicide prevention commercials everywhere.

It makes me wonder if showing teens contemplating suicide on commercials will lead to more suicides...I don't know.

Not a fan.
Media reporting on suicides can be followed by cluster suicide deaths. That is a proven phenomenon. But that is different than the media covering an actual suicide.

Most commercials provide a suicide prevention hotline. What is the result?
  • 12% of suicidal callers said that talking to someone at Lifeline prevented them from harming or killing themselves
  • Almost 50% followed through with a counselor's referral to seek emergency services or contacted mental health services
  • About 80% said that Lifeline had something to do with keeping them alive

If people are serious about teen suicide, then getting mental health for teens has to be normalized as though it were help for any other issue like a broken ankle or a cavity at the dentist. The human body isn't just fixable by the parts. The most important part is the brain and everything going on with it. Teens today have had a very rough few years. Many have and still do feel isolated, anxious, fearful, and depressed.

I'd rather they see a TV add for getting mental help than having some scumbag try to sell them fentanyl through snapchat.

Reactions: Ride Fly and CP619

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
you just love that term "triggered'.........projecting a little?
Throw mi corn, mi nuh call nuh fowl
Bob Marley

Who the cap fit, let them wear it
Bob Marley

Start stoopid threads, win stoopid prizes.
And a dunce cap.
Mikey Blem

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sctrojan2006

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Media reporting on suicides can be followed by cluster suicide deaths. That is a proven phenomenon. But that is different than the media covering an actual suicide.

Most commercials provide a suicide prevention hotline. What is the result?
  • 12% of suicidal callers said that talking to someone at Lifeline prevented them from harming or killing themselves
  • Almost 50% followed through with a counselor's referral to seek emergency services or contacted mental health services
  • About 80% said that Lifeline had something to do with keeping them alive

If people are serious about teen suicide, then getting mental health for teens has to be normalized as though it were help for any other issue like a broken ankle or a cavity at the dentist. The human body isn't just fixable by the parts. The most important part is the brain and everything going on with it. Teens today have had a very rough few years. Many have and still do feel isolated, anxious, fearful, and depressed.

I'd rather they see a TV add for getting mental help than having some scumbag try to sell them fentanyl through snapchat.
Beautiful

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
In Dresden I went to a chamber music concert but in the plaza outside the hall, the kids were all doing break dancing to hiphop.
It’s world wide.
For the record, I’m not a fan, either. I’d much rather go to the source and listen to old school Jamaican Rub a Dub.Like this

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
I thought that was for the depressed Westwood Communist Community College people after USC hired Lincoln Riley.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
Yeah, because I’m the one that’s triggered by TV commercials?
Or by seeing people that look different than me on my TV?
Or by “ Hip Hop” music? LOL.
Thread like this make me proud to be a liberal.
You started this lunacy, now you’re triggered because a few of us are laughing at it.
If you can’t stand the heat, get back in the kitchen and make your wife a cotdam sammich
I am thinking you are the one that as libs say "triggered" as always you say you are proud to be a liberal....does that mean you are proud to have voted for the worst President in history?...Libs are always proud no matter how wrong they are.... I hope this doesnt trigger you Karen

Reactions: SoCalN8tiv

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
you started this lunacy, now you’re triggered because a few of us are laughing at it.

really dude lunacy?....check your lil silly goofy libtard bs

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020
I cant help but to notice a trend in hip hop music across the board and all the dancing in 75% of TV ads...Is it just me?

Which channels do you watch? I only watch sports, history and nature shows. Haven’t seen what you’re reporting.

On a side note. I would love to learn hiphop. It looks fun. However I’m 68 so I would probably just break a hip!

• Haha
Reactions: SoCalN8tiv

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I am thinking you are the one that as libs say "triggered" as always you say you are proud to be a liberal....does that mean you are proud to have voted for the worst President in history?...Libs are always proud no matter how wrong they are.... I hope this doesnt trigger you Karen
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Triggered, Bigly
By a TV commercial, lol.
Because “ Hip Hop”
Needs a safe place
And, a hug.

I got your back, Petunia

Last edited:

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Try this link.

Yeah, that's a good ad. I don't know much about the guy. The first I heard of him is when the Catholic Center at USC was renamed after him. And, as I recall, his son caused a stir with the female demographic at one of the early 2016 GOP primary debates. I think Caruso, as the closest thing one can get to a republican, would be good for LA Mayor. (I interned for the Mayor's office of protocol in coordination with the USC Institute for Politics and Government. Back then, Tom Bradley was mayor. I was just as opinionated back then and it didn't go over too well with the ladies running the protocol office - ha ha! Picture a 19-year-old college kid telling a middle-aged black woman that abortion is just like slavery. Yeesh!)

As far as Caruso goes, the usual suspects don't seem to care for him --- or pretty much anyone in the USC Admin/ BOT. Though I've noticed the grumblings against the admin have gone down quite a bit since the LR hire. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: shane2020

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Fact: it's PC woke, it's ultra-feminized and it's clearly purged of any attempt at "fair commercial-representation" along applicable and proportionate national population demographics.

If you don't see it, that's either because you're asleep at the switch, you don't care or you have been mind-numbed into a near-coma state by the blather; all of which are perfectly OK with me, but it doesn't change the fact.

For my part, like Blem I too make every effort to not watch TV except for sports and movies, and then I keep the volume-mute control handy for commercial breaks. I have found them to be supremely tedious, mid-numbingly PC and a clear & present danger to my overridingly optimistic life-view.

Don't punish yourself. Turn off the "Boob-tube". Read a book instead, because; "If you're not careful, you may actually learn something."

Read Harry Potter GIF

Reactions: jaycee993

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I don’t know much about Caruso, but doesn’t he have quite a set of balls to be talking about corruption in City Hall, after what he oversaw at USC?

Blem, surely you're not pinning that on Caruso?

From my perch Caruso clearly had a ton to do with identifying the issues, getting rid of Max hiring Folt (and others) and in other ways directly helping to clean the mess up. IMO, he's exactly the guy to address LA corruption.

Reactions: shane2020

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
I do not watch regular TV programing. Most of it does not interest me. I have a movie site that streams latest movies and most all old movies and tv series if I choose to watch them. It has been since 1991 since I regularly watched TV. I too love my sports except for the NBA. I have no use for it. My biggest disappointment watching sports was that Olympic fiasco in China. If indeed Caruso was responsible for Folt it is a strike against him. I like Bohn and have met him. I really like the guy.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Fact: it's PC woke, it's ultra-feminized and it's clearly purged of any attempt at "fair commercial-representation" along applicable and proportionate national population demographics.
I think that's the issue is that these companies have forced the pendulum so far to the other side to avoid being cancelled or called out for any kind of "ism".

I don't know to what extent a commercial should accurately represent the population but I hate commercials. So unless I'm watching a live sporting event, I watch nothing that isn't recorded so that I can fast forward when it's commercial time. And even when it's a live sporting event, I tend to hit the pause button, go do something for 4 minutes, come back, fast forward, watch the event, lol.

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
you started this lunacy, now you’re triggered because a few of us are laughing at it.

really dude lunacy?....check your lil silly goofy libtard bs
Remember the days when Hollywood's homosexual movie characters, namely the men, were comedy relief in action movies? Ah yes, those were the good ol' days. Don't blame me for laughing, blame the Hollywood liberals! 😂

Reactions: jaycee993

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Remember the days when Hollywood's homosexual movie characters, namely the men, were comedy relief in action movies? Ah yes, those were the good ol' days. Don't blame me for laughing, blame the Hollywood liberals! 😂
Huh?

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017

From my perch Caruso clearly had a ton to do with identifying the issues, getting rid of Max hiring Folt (and others) and in other ways directly helping to clean the mess up. IMO, he's exactly the guy to address LA corruption.
Ok.Like I said, I don’t know much about him.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020

Thx for your perspective.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020
I think that's the issue is that these companies have forced the pendulum so far to the other side to avoid being cancelled or called out for any kind of "ism".

I don't know to what extent a commercial should accurately represent the population but I hate commercials. So unless I'm watching a live sporting event, I watch nothing that isn't recorded so that I can fast forward when it's commercial time. And even when it's a live sporting event, I tend to hit the pause button, go do something for 4 minutes, come back, fast forward, watch the event, lol.

I do vaguely remember one commercial, but it makes me sad for Joe Namath. It’s some kind of insurance or Medicare option.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
Which channels do you watch? I only watch sports, history and nature shows. Haven’t seen what you’re reporting.

On a side note. I would love to learn hiphop. It looks fun. However I’m 68 so I would probably just break a hip!
ahhh you gave me a laugh..thanks.....so to elighten you hip hop is on every channel in ads...it doesnt matter what they are selling

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
Yeah, because I’m the one that’s triggered by TV commercials?
Or by seeing people that look different than me on my TV?
Or by “ Hip Hop” music? LOL.
Thread like this make me proud to be a liberal.
You started this lunacy, now you’re triggered because a few of us are laughing at it.
If you can’t stand the heat, get back in the kitchen and make your wife a cotdam sammich

Last edited:
Reactions: SGVFlip

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
I remember in the 60’s they had has a commercial with this really beautiful British Actress “ Saying all my men wear English Leather ( cologne) , or they wear NOTHING at all” The double entendre was scandalous.

Then there was that Tranny modeling panty hose

Oh wait, that wasn’t a Tranny, it was Joe Namath
Don't forget the suggestive Calvin Klein ads by Brooke Shields when she was just 15. But, Lordy, we have to protect the children from the gay and interracial couples in commercials!

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017

It makes me wonder if showing teens contemplating suicide on commercials will lead to more suicides...I don't know.

Not a fan.
I think that anything that can limit suicides is a good thing and I presume the groups running the ads know what works.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Don't forget the suggestive Calvin Klein ads by Brooke Shields when she was just 15. But, Lordy, we have to protect the children from the gay and interracial couples in commercials!
Those ads were very controversial and were banned by 2 US networks and others around the world.

Hypersexualizarion of children is now a problem in some gay communities and public education.

Reactions: TheRealAirbns

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I think it’s the Hip Hop music, myself.

Reactions: aimeedee

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017

Ever danced to Rick James? Look him up...
Super freak, etc...

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
In my “ Irritation Meter” today’s commercials are way down at the “ Hardly At All” level. For 60 years, blacks and gays had to watch commercials that didn’t reflect them at all, so it is “catch up time.”

High up on my “ Irritation Meter” is the film and TV depictions of both corporations and “ White men.” “ Bad guys” in movies/TV now tend to be The Nazis( a staple, with good reason), Arabs( another staple), Corporations, and White men. The last 2 are ridiculous.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
In my “ Irritation Meter” today’s commercials are way down at the “ Hardly At All” level. For 60 years, blacks and gays had to watch commercials that didn’t reflect them at all, so it is “catch up time.”

High up on my “ Irritation Meter” is the film and TV depictions of both corporations and “ White men.” “ Bad guys” in movies/TV now tend to be The Nazis( a staple, with good reason), Arabs( another staple), Corporations, and White men. The last 2 are ridiculous.
They may be overdone, but there are some pretty shitey corporations and throughout history there have been more than their share of shitey white men.

But the first part of your post is pretty spot on. It’s an over correction, because it’s so long overdue.

It’ll all settle down, equalize, and hopefully these things that are so TRIGGERING to CERTAIN folks, will just be accepted, and we can learn to embrace and celebrate our differences.

NAHHHHHHHH

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
They may be overdone, but there are some pretty shitey corporations and throughout history there have been more than their share of shitey white men.

But the first part of your post is pretty spot on. It’s an over correction, because it’s so long overdue.

It’ll all settle down, equalize, and hopefully these things that are so TRIGGERING to CERTAIN folks, will just be accepted, and we can learn to embrace and celebrate our differences.

NAHHHHHHHH
I don’t see a lot of publically held modern corporations as evil. One German firm, IGFarben comes to mind but who else? Name some, and I can have my opinion changed.

I find the “white guy” thing a pure trope. There are bad people of all colors. White men are just the favored “enemy” of the left today.

Reactions: TheRealAirbns

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Women in commercials have been and still are, portrayed in an unflattering/objectified way. When will that change?

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

Not a fan.
One more side note.....

Congress voted to create a national mental health crisis 3-digit number just like 911. Beginning July 1, 988 is the number people can call if they are having a mental health emergency, like suicide.

The problem however, is that Congress left funding, planning, and implementation up to individual states and something like only half currently have a plan for funding and implementation in place. California passed a bill, AB988, to accommodate and people are going to be taxed somewhere between .08-.30 per line on their mobile phone to fund call centers, etc and additional services to handle each crisis.

Some states, like South Carolina have gone further. They are putting the number on all student ID cards for kids from something like 6th grade through college.