Offensively & Defensive Speaking: Washington State (from Kevin Bruce)

kbruce9022

Aug 24, 2017
Keep Drake Jackson on the line where he belongs...

We need some speed from the back field... find some plays for Christon.

I liked the play where Bryant was coming around then went back and took the short pass into the end zone...
Crown: I don’t think that Christon suited up. Barlow gives us a speed advantage out of the backfield. Ingram is under-utilized but O-line needs a blocking remedial course.

usc88

Aug 24, 2017
It seems like the defense is ok
But the offense has big problems.
Not being able to run.
And not protecting the QB.
Have we seen this before?

motovich

Aug 24, 2017
Great analysis, as usual, KB.

What's the problem with the offensive line's run blocking? Even when we've got 7 guys in the box we can't get more than 1 or 2 yards.

Willlson!

Aug 24, 2017
What was their Dline doing to disrupt us so much?
They were just playing textbook defense when a new QB is in the game: Sell out and stop the run early, forcing an inexperienced QB to put the ball up. Didn't work with Dart. Oregon State got a lot of film on him and will be dropping 7 and 8, we'll see how he handles it.

Reactions: BiggDaddy

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Crown: I don’t think that Christon suited up. Barlow gives us a speed advantage out of the backfield. Ingram is under-utilized but O-line needs a blocking remedial course.
I only saw the first half. Yikes! I thought Ingram was underwhelming; then again most guys would be with no blocking.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017

What's the problem with the offensive line's run blocking? Even when we've got 7 guys in the box we can't get more than 1 or 2 yards.
I’ve said this before but there is no evidence that they use blocking sleds in practice.

kbruce9022

Aug 24, 2017
It seems like the defense is ok
But the offense has big problems.
Not being able to run.
And not protecting the QB.
Have we seen this before?
88: Yup, we've seen this before. Btw, the D sucked for most of the first half. It took some adjustments including moving to a tighter zone coverage and ultimately man coverage by the CBs again despite the Stanford beat down using that approach. The O-line needs to get their heads out of their butts and block, get nasty and knock people down. It ain't that complicated. 9 TFLs (5 sacks) is inexcusable and against a "plucky" WSU team No Jaxson Dart then no win on Saturday.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

kbruce9022

Aug 24, 2017
What was their Dline doing to disrupt us so much?
Honestly, it wasn't that difficult though WSU moved their speed guys around and they blitzed from our weakside. This forces the RB (unless we are in 3x1 and 0 RBs set). We didn't get off the ball at all and the O-line was timid and slow. There wasn't second level blocking because there wasn't first level (point of attack) blocking. My call would have been early to put in an 11 and 12 package or even a few 22, put QB under center and force the WSU guys to check down into a base defense and out of the stunts and slants. That clearly isn't what Harrell likes to do at all but you know that already.

kbruce9022

Aug 24, 2017
I’ve said this before but there is no evidence that they use blocking sleds in practice.
Rod; It is a great mystery. Last week I had some hope as the O-line did get downfield against Stanford and actually put some guys on the ground. Just didn't do much good given the defensive implosion. I make this really simple for the O-line,straight ahead helmet-on-helmet blocking, keep a TE in and add an H-back for a few plays or series. QB under center is too much to ask I think...

TrojanHorse

Aug 24, 2017
"This is the third year the conference has given out a freshman award and Dart is the third player to win both Offensive and Freshman Player of the Week. Slovis was the first to do it, following his first career start against Stanford in 2019."

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

CoronaTrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
Did Korey Foreman play on Saturday?

I thought I saw number 0 on defense for a few plays in the game late but didn't see his number on the field much in the first half (if at all)

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Did Korey Foreman play on Saturday?

I thought I saw number 0 on defense for a few plays in the game late but didn't see his number on the field much in the first half (if at all)
He did. Korey needs to learn that what worked in high school football doesn’t always work at the college level.

CoronaTrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
He did. Korey needs to learn that what worked in high school football doesn’t always work at the college level.
Meaning he did not start due to coach's decision? Or due to some limitations due to his prior injury?

Looked to me like Korey was just content to rush upfield from his end position without really beating feet at the QB - not what I was expecting to see from a guy so highly rated as a prospect

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
I only saw the first half. Yikes! I thought Ingram was underwhelming; then again most guys would be with no blocking.
He doesn't have the speed to get outside. I don't know how many times I've seen him get run out of bounds while trying to turn the corner. Keep him between the Tackles.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017

Meaning he did not start due to coach's decision? Or due to some limitations due to his prior injury?

Looked to me like Korey was just content to rush upfield from his end position without really beating feet at the QB - not what I was expecting to see from a guy so highly rated as a prospect
I thought the same thing. Surprising. Having said that he didn't look 100% healthy.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
He doesn't have the speed to get outside. I don't know how many times I've seen him get run out of bounds while trying to turn the corner. Keep him between the Tackles.
Then again the SC offense, especially the running game, is so convoluted it's hard for any RB to look his best. I think once Harrell is replaced, suddenly both the RBs and OL will look much improved.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017

Well, one of the problems is, when we have 7 guys in the box everybody in the stadium knows it's going to be a run. That and the fact they don't block very well.

usc88

Aug 24, 2017
Like to see Harrell get more creative.
Things he hasn’t done before.
Learn from Chow. Do the unexpected.
Take what the defense gives you.
This is not the time to be shy

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
All seem like foreign concepts to Harrell. Please add design better blocking schemes.

kbruce9022

Aug 24, 2017
Well, one of the problems is, when we have 7 guys in the box everybody in the stadium knows it's going to be a run. That and the fact they don't block very well.
Sorta but not exactly. Depends on our formation. We 7 in the box with a nickle back when we go 10 or 11 packages. If we go 3x1 (no RB) obviously we’re not running unless we use a motion man. Fundamental issue is as you diagnosed, we just don’t block helmet to helmet or especially slide/reach block worth a crap. We’ve not fixed this issue in years…

CoronaTrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
Although I am sure Harrell does employ some of the concepts of the passing game created by Norm Chow (as do so many other OC's) I don't think he is anywhere close to being the kind of OC that Norm was - with the kind of receiving talent USC has had in recent years Norm Chow would have had a field day against opposing defenses.

Latest posts