One of the better things for US football….

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
is slo mo of World Cup flopping. Two soccer players come together on the pitch, their shins kiss like a butterfly landing on a tulip, and both guys act like they were kneecapped with a crowbar.

The thing is, it must work on the officials, or why put on such a show?

Reactions: DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
I rarely watch soccer, but I just laugh when I see the acting jobs. They have looks on their faces like they had just sustained instantaneous fractures of both bones in their lower leg. Then after the penalty flag (or not), they “shake it off”and continue playing, looking for the next opportunity.

Reactions: Troy21511

bell

Sep 20, 2017
is slo mo of World Cup flopping. Two soccer players come together on the pitch, their shins kiss like a butterfly landing on a tulip, and both guys act like they were kneecapped with a crowbar.

The thing is, it must work on the officials, or why put on such a show?
WHAT YOUR POST TELLS ME

That you've never played soccer. Go tell all those great players who are missing this world cup due to injuries that what they had were merely "shin kissing". You might also want to talk to their orthopedist to understand why "shin kissing" is keeping them away from the highest experience of their individual careers. Or better yet, you may want to lace it up one weekend and make your way to the local park to see first hand if "shin kissing" actually hurts.
Bell

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
WHAT YOUR POST TELLS ME

That you've never played soccer. Go tell all those great players who are missing this world cup due to injuries that what they had were merely "shin kissing". You might also want to talk to their orthopedist to understand why "shin kissing" is keeping them away from the highest experience of their individual careers. Or better yet, you may want to lace it up one weekend and make your way to the local park to see first hand if "shin kissing" actually hurts.
Bell
I am sure guys get injured in soccer, guys running at topspeed into one another will cause injuries . But there are literally scores of youtube videos mocking soccer flopping in just about every language.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I am sure guys get injured in soccer, guys running at topspeed into one another will cause injuries . But there are literally scores of youtube videos mocking soccer flopping in just about every language.
There is no other sport where players grab a body part and grimace BEFORE they hit the ground. It's hilarious. Replays will show contact with a shoulder...but they grab their face...lol.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
There is no other sport where players grab a body part and grimace BEFORE they hit the ground. It's hilarious. Replays will show contact with a shoulder...but they grab their face...lol.

It has definitely been part of the game. But generally, less during a world cup, and this year I don't notice it nearly as much (or I have become desensitized).
The rule change that pretty much kills the benefit of time wasting with fake injuries has helped. It also helped when refs started giving yellow cards for flopping.

But ya, it is still definitely part of the game.

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
It has definitely been part of the game. But generally, less during a world cup, and this year I don't notice it nearly as much (or I have become desensitized).
The rule change that pretty much kills the benefit of time wasting with fake injuries has helped. It also helped when refs started giving yellow cards for flopping.

The reason it is part of the game is because it works and that will always hurt soccer with US fans. US sports fans have seen a Taylor Mays type pulverization of a WR, or a batter getting drilled in the ribs with a 97 mph heater and not even rubbing it, so we know what real collisions look like.

I get soccer, and I really enjoy the World Cup. And I have spoken to at least a dozen soccer fans from other countries, and the flopping isn’t that bothersome to them. Ok, fair enough, but in the US in general fans don’t like it. And soccer sure doesn’t need the US to make a buck, thats real clear.

Last edited:

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
I’ve seen slo mo replays where neither player touches the other and they both fall down in “agony”. It’s quite hilarious, but it does turn me off of watching the sport in general… I joked to someone the other day that it takes 15-20 flops per goal scored. Too much for me.

bell

Sep 20, 2017
IT'S FUNNY HOW...

...people claim not to watch but are able to provide details of what happened. Why do they keep going back? To acquire negative material to post?
Bell

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
The reason it is part of the game is because it works and that will always hurt soccer with US fans. US sports fans have seen a Taylor Mays type pulverization of a WR, or a batter getting drilled in the ribs with a 97 mph heater and not even rubbing it, so we know what real collisions look like.

I get soccer, and I really enjoy the World Cup. And I have spoken to at least a dozen soccer fans from other countries, and the flopping isn’t that bothersome to them. Ok, fair enough, but in the US in general fans don’t like it. And soccer sure doesn’t need the US to make a buck, thats real clear.
Sure, but theyre salivating at the continued growth here in the US...

Look at how many top Euro teams do summer tours here....sell out huge stadiums....

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
IT'S FUNNY HOW...

...people claim not to watch but are able to provide details of what happened. Why do they keep going back? To acquire negative material to post?
Bell
I watch. I provide details. It does take away from the play. Of course injuries happen but it's also blatantly obvious when a situation is being manipulated. Denying it is odd.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

I agree there has been less time spent rolling around in fake pain. The refs look like they are laughing at times....literally telling players to get up and knock it off.

But the mid-air histrionics are still prevalent. I truly think they practice it.

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
IT'S FUNNY HOW...

Bell
called youtube

Globe

Aug 24, 2017
Lifelong soccer geek here. With few exceptions we all hate the acting/diving nonsense. It's been the scourge of the sport for 50+ years. But as is usually the case FIFA has always been too incompetent to do anything about it. They tend to only fix "problems" if there's a big profit in it for them. Giving yellow cards for diving helped a tiny bit but didn't have a significant impact.

Fortunately, the new idea of adding significant (not just token) time onto the end of halves to account for stoppages seems to be making a difference. The sample size is too small to know for sure as it was just implemented for the World Cup, but it looks promising.

Of course, experimenting with a new rule or application in your biggest event is moronic, but see my earlier comment about incompetence.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Since there is no other WC thread.....

World #11 Germany and World #2 Belgium are out.

My two team, U.S. and Japan, are on to the knockout round

bell

Sep 20, 2017
Lifelong soccer geek here. With few exceptions we all hate the acting/diving nonsense. It's been the scourge of the sport for 50+ years. But as is usually the case FIFA has always been too incompetent to do anything about it. They tend to only fix "problems" if there's a big profit in it for them. Giving yellow cards for diving helped a tiny bit but didn't have a significant impact.

Fortunately, the new idea of adding significant (not just token) time onto the end of halves to account for stoppages seems to be making a difference. The sample size is too small to know for sure as it was just implemented for the World Cup, but it looks promising.

Of course, experimenting with a new rule or application in your biggest event is moronic, but see my earlier comment about incompetence.
NO NEED TO ISSUE YELLOWS FOR PERCEIVED DIVINGS

I would just have the ref laugh at the diver. After two incidents like that, the diver would understand quickly that no one is falling for the tricks.

As for time wasting, FIFA could do what the NCAA women already do: stop the clock for incidents that would take too much time to resolve so there'd never be a need to add extra time after 90 mins.

Since I'm on a roll, a benign change I'd love to see is what they do in basketball: if you are responsible for a penalty kick, you get to take the kick. Nothing I hate more than to see a player who had nothing to do with the incident sprint 50 yds down to take it to pad his goal count. Usually this is done by the one who considers himself to be the best player on the team treating every such kick like an entitlement. (BTW, I think penalty kicks are awarded far too easily. I wouldn't call 85% of them)
Bell

bell

Sep 20, 2017
I watch. I provide details. It does take away from the play. Of course injuries happen but it's also blatantly obvious when a situation is being manipulated. Denying it is odd.
HOW ABOUT THE WOMEN?

If there's diving in the men's game (which I think is exaggerated by those seeking negativity), I doubt it exists in the women's game. Yet these people will find something to complain about in that also.
Bell

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
HOW ABOUT THE WOMEN?

If there's diving in the men's game (which I think is exaggerated by those seeking negativity), I doubt it exists in the women's game. Yet these people will find something to complain about in that also.
Bell
Of course it exists in the women's game, just nowhere near the same clip.

Who's High Pitch?

Sep 13, 2017
That is a bit harsh, as they made the world cup so they are not complete garbage.
But ya, they beat Germany and Spain. Hell of a WC no matter what happens next.
Yeah, you're right. I meant, the worse team of the qualifying team. They had Germany on their heels for a bit.