One thing I hugely like about Donte. He is a D minded coach.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Associate, Assistant, not a big difference to me, he’s the only one besides Helton with HC after his name. And Donte wasn’t on Todd Orlando‘s staff. He was on Clay Helton’s staff, and Todd Orlando had nothing to do with Donte Williams coming to USC. I seriously doubt if he was even consulted.

As for Orlando putting his name out there, Monday morning, I say great. His name was mud when we hired him and I’ve seen nothing from him to make me say anything other than don’t let the door hit you in the azs. As for him being a DC for almost 20 years, seems like we’re not the only school that doesn’t think he’s Head Coach material.

Im not hating on Orlando either. At one time, when he was at Texas I was advocating for him to be our Head Coach. But the more I see from him, the more I think I was wrong.
It may not be a big difference to you but it is quite different. One has HC responsibility and the other doesn't. Its called corporate creep....if you pay more, the title justifies it. Money...not actual HC responsibility.

Never said anything about who or why Donte was hired. The fact is Orlando coordinated the defense activity and he has significantly more experience at that level. From a qualification standpoint, Donte is lesser. Of course its awkward at this point. And I don't care what happens to Orlando either.

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
I’m not focusing on his race. Somebody made the comment that his hiring was or may have been the result of Political Correctness. I’m simply making the point that Donte has very good relationships with African American kids. There are AA kids on this team right now, who wouldn’t be here if he wasn’t. So if that’s PC, then oh well.

We‘ve ALWAYS had that guy on our staff, going back to Willie Brown. As someone close to the staff told me circa 2007-2008 when I asked why Todd McNair was on the staff. He straight up told me “ he’s here to recruit the ghetto”. We maybe didn’t have that guy when Ed O was here, because he can recruit anybody.
Then the kids are dumber than i thought , in essence supporting for a guy because he is black, not because he is qualified. Its called tribalism. And its the product of the dumirat agenda Indoctrination. I think all schools should can all their Caucasian coaches and just hire blacks, By your reasoning the school with the most black coaches should attract the most and best black players.And why, because they speak the jive, the Ebonix? Pathetic

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
See how it’s ok for one side to go down that path? But if myself or Keen made the same type of accusation, but about a certain demographic say a couple miles southeast of campus, you can only imagine the blowback.
August West...being compared to the 1950's is not the same as racial stereotyping a whole group of ppl a couple miles southeast of the campus. Because that's the normal chatter that goes on in the OT (Tell me I'm lying, because I'm not). Don't start acting brand new. These are the everyday thoughts of Keen and ppl like him.

Then the kids are dumber than i thought , in essence supporting for a guy because he is black, not because he is qualified. Its called tribalism. And its the product of the dumirat agenda Indoctrination. I think all schools should can all their Caucasian coaches and just hire blacks, By your reasoning the school with the most black coaches should attract the most and best black players.
White people have been practicing tribalism for 500 years. Stop. But I do agree that no one should be hired on the basis of their race but shared experiences are good things. Black players, depending on their connections with ppl and worldviews will gravitate to certain coaches, based on a numbers of things. It's not an exact science. I for one don't think Donte was hired because he's half-black, he was hired because he connects to the players and was made the interim because of that connection. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
If Williams was all that some, and I stress some thinks he is all cracked up to be, then why have other schools not snatched him upnalready amd made him a HC. And youd get him cheap too. If black kids wanna be coached by someine just because theyre bkack how come the best black players are going to Bama and not Grambling?

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
In either case I don't think it would be wise to hire any interim coach as the HC of USC. It's time to stop that,

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Reactions: KeenObserver

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Ah, we went from 1950’s to 1920’s… relevancy doesn’t count, eh?
Relevancy doesn't change the mindset of the place or do we have to revisit recent events?

Point is every time race gets brought up in this forum. It turns well...bad. Again, does Donte deserve to be Head Coach? no, not until proven otherwise and even if he does prove it. That learning process shouldn't be a USC or at a program like USC. Depending on his aspirations, after getting a taste, most interims don't turn out like Ryan Day or Dabo.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Relevancy doesn't change the mindset of the place or do we have to revisit recent events?

Point is every time race gets brought up in this forum. It turns well...bad. Again, does Donte deserve to be Head Coach? no, not until proven otherwise and even if he does prove it. That learning process shouldn't be a USC or at a program like USC. Depending on his aspirations, after getting a taste, most interims don't turn out like Ryan Day or Dabo.
I’m just bothered by ALL the bickering. But, this is silliness pointing to OC as more racist than other counties… including LA. Sheer stupidity by the times and all who hide from the obvious truth. Somehow Chavez Ravine and Bruce’s Beach come to mind and that’s not even the tip of the iceberg.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I’m just bothered by ALL the bickering. But, this is silliness pointing to OC as more racist than other counties… including LA. Sheer stupidity by the times and all who hide from the obvious truth. Somehow Chavez Ravine and Bruce’s Beach come to mind and that’s not even the tip of the iceberg.
Pudly76 your cool, no issue here. Back to football.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
It may not be a big difference to you but it is quite different. One has HC responsibility and the other doesn't. Its called corporate creep....if you pay more, the title justifies it. Money...not actual HC responsibility.

Never said anything about who or why Donte was hired. The fact is Orlando coordinated the defense activity and he has significantly more experience at that level. From a qualification standpoint, Donte is lesser. Of course its awkward at this point. And I don't care what happens to Orlando either.
Maybe they think Orlando is more valuable as DC?
I may be wrong, but there is way more of a chance Donte gets poached from us before Orlando.

The man hasn’t coached a single game yet, is very unlikely to be named permanent HC, and people seem to be losing their minds over it.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I may be wrong, but there is way more of a chance Donte gets poached from us before Orlando.

The man hasn’t coached a single game yet, is very unlikely to be named permanent HC, and people seem to be losing their minds over it.
It's the fear of USC doing it again...

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Glad you agree he was being racist.
I don’t agree with that at all. Once again, you’re putting words and thoughts in my mouth. I believe he was commenting on a stereotype that had a certain amount of validity back then. Orange County was racist us hell in the 50’s and even the 60’ and 70’s. in the mid 60’s, to my knowledge, the only two cities in Orange County where blacks could live were Santa Ana and a few places in Fullerton and La Habra. I grew up in Anaheim, and to my knowledge there wasn’t a single black family living there. There were people on my block who had the little black jockeys on their front lawns. It was pretty bad.

I also have to say, where I lived, in East Anaheim, in my little three or four block area which was bounded by East St on the East, Placentia ( State College Blvd) on the west, Broadway on the North and Santa Ana to the south, the great % of people were from other states, and they brought a lot of their attitudes with them My father was born in Orange and raised in La Habra. My mother had moved to Orange from Colorado during the war. So we considered ourselves locals, lol.

UscTrojanglory

Sep 7, 2017
Who keeps bringing it up? Some of us were having a spirited but respectful debate over Franklin and Fickell the other day and you all but said there was a racial component when none was there or even inferred. What kind of jerk does that and then complains about race?

Again when the agitators demand for racism out paces the supply.
There is no debate, Franklin is the superior coach but you can like Luke if that’s your thing...

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I don’t agree with that at all. I believe he was commenting on a stereotype that had a certain amount of validity back then. Orange County was racist us hell in the 50’s and even the 60’ and 70’s. in the mid 60’s, to my knowledge, the only two cities in Orange County where blacks could live were Santa Ana and a few places in Fullerton and La Habra. I grew up in Anaheim, and to my knowledge there wasn’t a single black family living there. There were people on my block who had the little black jockeys on their front lawns. It was pretty bad.

I also have to say, where I lived, in East Anaheim, in my little three or four block area which was bounded by East St on the East, Placentia ( State College Blvd) on the west, Broadway on the North and Santa Ana to the south, the great % of people were from other states, and they brought a lot of their attitudes with them My father was born in Orange and raised in La Habra. My mother had moved to Orange from Colorado during the war. So we considered ourselves locals, lol.
And how old is the average USC fan in this forum? it's all about the mentality and ppl here sometimes like to play games, like they don't talk about black ppl like those in the 50's. My comparison isn't off and for those that it doesn't apply to? let it fly. Still even back in 2012. It's been bad on this forum. I mean rest in piece to Gerry. But some of the stuff that goes on, when someone is non-white or a woman gets mentioned it can get pretty dumb. Donte being black shouldn't even be mentioned, but I've seen folks mention it.

Shoot, I didn't care too much about them mentioning that he was the first black head coach. To me that's pretty sad. Tells me how much still needs to happen but it never signaled to me that USC was trying to push something. Like, USC hasn't had a black QB for a while but if USC did have one, that doesn't mean they should start him because of his race. Yet, some would like to already assume that he's the interim, due to a similar scenario.

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

I have no idea what "they" think about Orlando. The point I was addressing is the idea that "it would have seemed weird for him to NOT be named interim" because he was already the assistant HC. But he wasn't. There IS a difference between that and associate. When you throw in the hierarchical dynamics, pay structure, and relative job experience.....I wouldn't have found it weird for him not to be named interim. And that isn't an endorsement of the other useful idiots who coordinate stuff.

And I will be clear....I don't care who got named or why and I will remain unbothered whomever gets the permanent job, and that includes Donte. Good for him if he does. At this point, it sure looks like he does a lot of things right and has nothing but upward potential.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
BS! Words have meaning. If you don’t mean what you say, don’t say it.
He compared posters on the OT to racists in the OC, even went as far as to post slanted articles about that…..implying that all white folks in OC, in the 50s and posters on the OT are like that.

It’s completely false and intellectually lazy. And frankly, it’s insulting. Do you honestly think that a bunch of white supremacists would hang out on a discussion board, arguing about a sport being dominated by young black men? Really? You actually think that? Do you have any idea how idiotic that is?

Point is, you come along and back him up, but cry foul when I link his line of reasoning with you, even though you patently agree with him!

So no, I’m not putting words in your mouth, you made it crystal clear what you meant. And agreed with what he implied!

It’s chickenshet, both of you want toss your little barbs out, but when called on it, you slink back and whine that’s not what you meant or take this to the OT board.
You can’t have it both ways, son. You either want to dance or you don’t.
And if you want to, I’m game, I have facts on my side. Come to the deep end of the pool on the OT and we’ll chat.
But know this, I could care less about pigment or plumbing, when you’re right, you’re right….when you’re wrong, you’re wrong…and I have no qualms calling it straight either way.
All I said was I grew up there in the 50’s, that’s it. It was really just a joke, meaning, I’m from there so I must be a racist too, or it could have meant, well I’m from there, and He knows I’m not racist. But nothing in that sentence backed up what he said.
So yes, you put words in my mouth, again.
I’m telling you, the Anaheim/ Orange County that I grew up in was pretty racist. As in, a black family could have never bought a home anyplace near where I lived, and if they had succeeded, it wouldn’t have ended well for them. I can remember Anaheim HS playing Santa Ana Valley in Football in maybe 1966, and the things I heard our fans yelling at the Black players on the Valley team were disgusting.

You’re losing your damn minds over this.

Unless you grew up there, and had the same experiences, maybe you should relax, because you don’t know what you are talking about.

And thanks for the invite, but I’m good.

Last edited:
Reactions: usc2k21