Opt out of Bowl?

JoeBot409

Oct 26, 2021
As upset as I am over the season, those extra bowl practices are invaluable for developing the underclassmen. So, no, no opt-out plus I am sure PSU would like the $$$ and even though we are pissed, PSU still draws fans to the bowl and gets good TV ratings.
There are no rules in CFB these days. They can still practice. Especially if they are getting paid. It is now football first.

Reactions: Nits74

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
They’ve had all Spring practice and the last 4 months of both practice and games.

What they clearly have not learned by now, they will not learn with an extra 2 weeks of practice.
I did say "YOUNG" OL like Tangwell, Christ those guys. Not Miranda and Walker.
And you don't think extra practice and possibly game time for the back up QB could be beneficial?
If not then this conversation is over.

SlabTown

Oct 7, 2021
And you don't think extra practice and possibly game time for the back up QB could be beneficial?

The extra practice won't matter. We'll still look like crap next season.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
No need to get testy. We just disagree. ;)

No, I don’t think it’ll help because I don’t think the young guys will get any significant playing time. The back up qb didn’t see any time today. He won’t in the bowl either (unless Clifford opts out).

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021
I understand the practice aspect of a bowl game but you need to weight that against a lose in a bowl game and if history shows anything this year that in more then likely to happen. And do need anymore humiliation. This years season ended badly why add insult to injury.

Last edited:

psuno1

Oct 16, 2021
Walker already opted out, do not see him playing in the bowl and Effner is not a B10 offensive lineman let a lone a LT.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
I wish, but no way. 6-6 and 7-5 teams should not be in bowls. Especially teams that finish 8th in their conference.
Totally agree. Plus Franklin probably gets a bonus in his contract, not an unusual incentive, to get his team into a bowl game. He does not deserve one more cent for his deplorable coaching ability.

oldpsubear

Oct 28, 2021
bfpsu
Extra practices are only valuable if you have someone who can actually coach those practices. There has been little evidence of that ability shown at PSU. They cant get a backup to be game ready in case someone gets hurt . Like maybe a QB or a DT. With Franklin teams talk about 2 deep is a joke

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
Young QB needs all the extra snaps he can get, only bright side of having to suffer through one more game..

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
I don't think I'd ever want psu to opt out of a bowl game, no matter what bowl it is. We only get a certain number of penn state games to watch over a season, over a lifetime for that matter. Why voluntarily take one away?

Having said that, I agree with the posters saying the extra weeks of practice are overrated. These guys don't hibernate over the offseason. It's not like they disappear or something. They keep working. Maybe not an official structured practice, but they're still somewhere trying to improve.

PSUwolf

Oct 29, 2021
We need as many practices as possible for the younger players. Definitely go to a bowl game.

For those really upset about this season, well, we have a lot of company. I found this on another site and found it to be interesting:

This has been one strange CF season. Totally unpredictable. The four teams that have dominated the playoffs over the last few years - Alabama, Clemson, OSU and Oklahoma - could all be shut out this year especially if Georgia beats Alabama as expected. In fact, Alabama, Clemson, OSU and Oklahoma were all rated in most of the top 5 preseason polls.

Even the 2 preseason B1G picks - OSU and Wisky - fell short of their goals. Let's just move on to 2022 and see what happes as PSU has some great young talent and a very good 2022 class coming in

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
I nearly threw up yesterday when Blackledge made a comment that "PSU is without it's best OLman, Rasheed Walker #53!" How freaking bad is that!!

Reactions: Nits74

hapval8286

Nov 2, 2021
It should be voted on by the players.
If they want to keep spending time getting better as a team and hopefully going to a nice warm location (possibly Las Vegas) plus get some cool gifts then they should vote YES.
If they are bruised and battered and tired of the process and want a break to spend more time with family on Holiday break, then they should vote NO. This would be unfortunate for the graduating seniors since they didn't get to play in a bowl last year.

NEPA Lion

Nov 2, 2021
I would sit under performers , the upper class-men who can't tackle , catch a pass, hold on to the ball , block and say you're sitting this one out . The future is the bench and the incoming class.

Reactions: Classof09

PAgeologist

Oct 19, 2021
I would sit under performers , the upper class-men who can't tackle , catch a pass, hold on to the ball , block and say you're sitting this one out . The future is the bench and the incoming class.
The problem is, that will never happen. The bowl game will see the same guys we have seen all season. And we will see the same results. No protection, poor tackling, stupid penalties, etc..

But the good news is there will be plenty of hugs and no feelings will be hurt.

NEPA Lion

Nov 2, 2021
The problem is, that will never happen. The bowl game will see the same guys we have seen all season. And we will see the same results. No protection, poor tackling, stupid penalties, etc..

But the good news is there will be plenty of hugs and no feelings will be hurt.
I don't know how the process works maybe you or someone else does, but when Franklin sits down with these guys at the end of the season does he say you need to move on , you're going to be our scout team running back, or quarterback, or we'll work with you ?
I don't know, do scholarships have to be honored to players dogging it ?

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
We’ve had years of bad tacklers. Cam Brown out, Brandon Smith in. Next bad tackler up!!! Absolutely no reason at this point to think the younger players will be better at it.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
We need as many practices as possible for the younger players. Definitely go to a bowl game.

For those really upset about this season, well, we have a lot of company. I found this on another site and found it to be interesting:

This has been one strange CF season. Totally unpredictable. The four teams that have dominated the playoffs over the last few years - Alabama, Clemson, OSU and Oklahoma - could all be shut out this year especially if Georgia beats Alabama as expected. In fact, Alabama, Clemson, OSU and Oklahoma were all rated in most of the top 5 preseason polls.

Even the 2 preseason B1G picks - OSU and Wisky - fell short of their goals. Let's just move on to 2022 and see what happes as PSU has some great young talent and a very good 2022 class coming in
Don't expect much. In case anyone hasn't noticed, Penn State has become one of those "Wait 'till next year" programs.