OT Balboa Ferry May Be Closed Down

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
It seems that the climate whacka doodles in Sacramento have given the owner of the ferry’s to convert all three of the ferries from diesel to electric by 2025. The cost could be as much as 5 million for the first one if it is possible to even do. Owners say they cannot afford it. The irony is people will use more gas to drive to PCH by way of the Peninsula without the ferry and also loss of commerce on BB Island and the fun zone area, its a 6 mile drive. One would think the state would be working on crime, drugs, and homelessness instead.
I have so many fond memories of that area and taking the ferry over to Balboa....sad

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
It seems that the climate whacka doodles in Sacramento have given the owner of the ferry’s to convert all three of the ferries from diesel to electric by 2025. The cost could be as much as 5 million for the first one if it is possible to even do. Owners say they cannot afford it. The irony is people will use more gas to drive to PCH by way of the Peninsula without the ferry and also loss of commerce on BB Island and the fun zone area, its a 6 mile drive. One would think the state would be working on crime, drugs, and homelessness instead.
I have so many fond memories of that area and taking the ferry over to Balboa....sad

Green whackos are just that. They want to "feel" like they are making a difference but never consider the bigger picture.

Plus, they want to punish that area...too many conservatives.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020

I haven’t taken the ferry in years. I guess I need to get over there for one final ride. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

101Coast

Sep 3, 2017
How in the universe can a mandate on boat engines become racial?

FYI, the whole boating industry is affected all over the state and not just "white conservative wealth" and not limited to the Balboa ferry.

I believe it's been discussed here on the old board. The whole fishing fleet all up and down the coast have been fighting this. I fish. I ride these boats. I am very informed about boat engine mandates. Balboa ferry is not special and "white conservative wealth" is not singled out.

A very Mexican friend of mine owns a tug boat that pulls barges for a living. Guess what? They mandated his a.ss too. Damn commies...

Last edited:

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017

You’re right. Why do these fools have to drag everyone else down with them? I’ve enjoyed the ferry ever since I can remember. Even now whenever I’m down at the Wedge and have to head south on PCH I take the ferry. It saves time and gas and I get to enjoy the bay for a few minutes. I guess that makes too much sense for them. Us common folk shouldn’t be allowed to do anything convenient or fun.

Last edited:

Kaptain Karl

Feb 16, 2018
How in the universe can a mandate on boat engines become racial?

FYI, the whole boating industry is affected all over the state and not just "white conservative wealth" and not limited to the Balboa ferry.

I believe it's been discussed here on the old board. The whole fishing fleet all up and down the coast have been fighting this. I fish. I ride these boats. I am very informed about boat engine mandates. Balboa ferry is not special and "white conservative wealth" is not singled out.

A very Mexican friend of mine owns a tug boat that pulls barges for a living. Guess what? They mandated his a.ss too. Damn commies...
The mandate is freaking nuts in terms of the fishing fleet. Glad that got fought off, zero chance electric can truly work on the ocean.

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021

The next thing will be closing Blackies on the Beach for not serving enough Bud Lite

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
The next thing will be closing Blackies on the Beach for not serving enough Bud Lite
Ha haaaa....I remember many years ago I used to go in Blackies for drinks and to catch this comedians show. Everyone would buy this guy shots and he would have them all lined up and down them one by one...this would go on for hours...he was funny and never seemed to get drunk. He was a legend at that time.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
The mandate is freaking nuts in terms of the fishing fleet. Glad that got fought off, zero chance electric can truly work on the ocean.
I worked for a large private water utility for 35 years. I remember the Co bought huge diesel generators for all our well sites to be used automatically in power outages to keep our pumps running. The EPA made the company sell all of our generators to replace them with non diesel powered generators at a cost of several hundred thousands. And of course we passed those costs onto our consumers with PUC approved rate increases....,what a sham

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
This is one of the more silly things there is. The ferry encourages folks to walk. Is it even a 200 yard trip? Ban private jets first.

Reactions: shane2020

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Most cruise ships use electric motors. They will
Probably save money overall because they can charge at night when electricity is cheap. Yes clean air sucks

dblwall

Aug 24, 2017
I remember from the late 70's till I stopped playing Blackies was the place to sign up for OMBAC's Over the Line tournament every year.

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
Most cruise ships use electric motors. They will
Probably save money overall because they can charge at night when electricity is cheap. Yes clean air sucks
For a supposed engineer, you sure put up some technology clunkers.

“Both engine types require fuel, and lots of it. For example, the QE2 consumes about 380 tons of fuel daily if it's traveling at a speed of 28.5 knots and carries enough fuel to sail nonstop for 12 days [source: Warwick]. Cruise ships usually fill up at various ports, using fueling barges like floating gas stations. They use a lower-grade diesel that tends not to burn as cleanly as road-going diesel-powered vehicles. No doubt when prices rise at the pump, cruise ships also feel the pinch.”

Did you think they plugged into a 220 outlet and charged up batteries at port overnight, like an EV?? They use gas turbine or diesel electric engines. Fossil fuel, and tons of it, literally.

Contrary to what you believe it is not possible yet run an industrial economy on wind and solar, and may never be. If I have my stats right, we would need about 250000 windmills and 2.5 billion solar panels to serve today’s energy needs, ( both doable in theory) but that would only work if we had huge banks of batteries, the mothers of all batteries, peppered throughout the country. Tesla battery packs weigh about 1300 pounds.

GaryB

Aug 24, 2017
Everything the Marxist radical left touches turn to S-H-I-T! This is why we can't have nice things. They stomp all over loved traditions and replace it with garbage nobody likes.
This morning 10 red states filed a lawsuit against FEMA over its new flood insurance prices. The national flood insurance program is $20b in debt; yet, states that deny climate change and keep re-building in flood zones are filing suit to have the tax payers subsidize their follies.

As you folks debate what the Marxist states are doing, just keep in mind that they are the states contributing more in federal revenue than they receive. It is the red states that contribute little and then file lawsuits for the Marxist states to subsidize them, claiming “loved traditions”.

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Wondering if Disney will get hit up for their railroad trains, steamboat, Sawyer raft ride, autopia cars, jungle boat and submarine rides?
Disney will claim historical authenticity exemptions for their park patrons to be immersed in the anachronistic experience 🤣

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
For a supposed engineer, you sure put up some technology clunkers.

“Both engine types require fuel, and lots of it. For example, the QE2 consumes about 380 tons of fuel daily if it's traveling at a speed of 28.5 knots and carries enough fuel to sail nonstop for 12 days [source: Warwick]. Cruise ships usually fill up at various ports, using fueling barges like floating gas stations. They use a lower-grade diesel that tends not to burn as cleanly as road-going diesel-powered vehicles. No doubt when prices rise at the pump, cruise ships also feel the pinch.”

Did you think they plugged into a 220 outlet and charged up batteries at port overnight, like an EV?? They use gas turbine or diesel electric engines. Fossil fuel, and tons of it, literally.

Contrary to what you believe it is not possible yet run an industrial economy on wind and solar, and may never be. If I have my stats right, we would need about 250000 windmills and 2.5 billion solar panels to serve today’s energy needs, ( both doable in theory) but that would only work if we had huge banks of batteries, the mothers of all batteries, peppered throughout the country. Tesla battery packs weigh about 1300 pounds.
Cruise ships have generators that power electric motors. So the technology is there for electric boat engines. I assume you knew Tesla would be a flop and we would never produce 75% of our electricity from renewables
which we are doing as I type.

I grew up in LA. The air was horrible in the 60s. A large orange haze.

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
Cruise ships have generators that power electric motors. So the technology is there for electric boat engines. I assume you knew Tesla would be a flop and we would never produce 75% of our electricity from renewables

They have electric motors, the generators that power the motors are driven by fossil fuels.

Where did you get the 75% number? Link please.

Last edited:

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021

Technology might exist for electric engines for the ferry but that is not the point. The problem is to retrofit the first ferry would be over 5 million bucks. Owners cannot afford it just like most folks cant afford EV"s

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021

Cruise ships use Diesel or Gas Turbine engines to generate the electricity that drives the ship. The system is called Diesel Electric. Railroad engines use the same systems.

Merlin4SC

Jun 23, 2021
Doesn't seem like they have the authority to do that, and I hope if they try it goes all the way to the supreme court. They cannot justify or prove that any emergency exists to force that kind of burden on anyone, let alone an operation that benefits so many.

Reactions: jaycee993

SwitchFoot89

Sep 12, 2021
I lived on the Peninsula halfway between the piers for 11 years. Used to ride my beach cruiser down to the Ferry crossing, pay my 75 cents to shuttle to Balboa Island.

I’d ride along Bayside, cross PCH and hit up Pearson’s Port to buy the best and freshest fish I’ve ever found. Theresa and her daughter ran the fish barge and the hubby fished (they had a co-op with a dozen or so boats from SB to SD).

Husband was one of the few in CA licensed to trap Spotted Prawn. He’d take his boat 30 miles out and bait the traps with Salmon-flavored Friskees (no lie). Spotted Prawn became my absolute favorite thing to cook and eat (just butterfly and smother with melted butter & garlic then BBQ)…Simply the greatest seafood I’ve ever eaten.

Moved inland after marriage and later, out of CA, and soon, out of the country…still miss those rides to Pearson’s for the catch of the day (sea bass, halibut, salmon…). Great memories.

My roots run deep in Balboa…Grandparents had a house on little Balboa Island and the Ferry was the coolest 5 minute saltwater adventure a little tyke could have…

Hate to say it but I think the original owners’ days are numbered until the electric motors become more cost effective…Hopefully a new incarnation will come along at some point because it truly is an OC institution and rite of passage (literally)…

✌️

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Technology might exist for electric engines for the ferry but that is not the point. The problem is to retrofit the first ferry would be over 5 million bucks. Owners cannot afford it just like most folks cant afford EV"s
A rivian truck has 750 horsepower. Just not buying the 5 million. If they want to sell new buyers will be lining up

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Bottom line. Good post.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Bottom line. I have heard these end of the world stories for years going back to the 60s. I have 100% confidence they can make it happen. We are becoming a country of drama queens.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021

I too grew up in LA where I couldnt see the mountains from Pasadena. Such a big improvement now but it didnt clear up because of EV's.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
I lived on the Peninsula halfway between the piers for 11 years. Used to ride my beach cruiser down to the Ferry crossing, pay my 75 cents to shuttle to Balboa Island.

I’d ride along Bayside, cross PCH and hit up Pearson’s Port to buy the best and freshest fish I’ve ever found. Theresa and her daughter ran the fish barge and the hubby fished (they had a co-op with a dozen or so boats from SB to SD).

Husband was one of the few in CA licensed to trap Spotted Prawn. He’d take his boat 30 miles out and bait the traps with Salmon-flavored Friskees (no lie). Spotted Prawn became my absolute favorite thing to cook and eat (just butterfly and smother with melted butter & garlic then BBQ)…Simply the greatest seafood I’ve ever eaten.

Moved inland after marriage and later, out of CA, and soon, out of the country…still miss those rides to Pearson’s for the catch of the day (sea bass, halibut, salmon…). Great memories.

My roots run deep in Balboa…Grandparents had a house on little Balboa Island and the Ferry was the coolest 5 minute saltwater adventure a little tyke could have…

Hate to say it but I think the original owners’ days are numbered until the electric motors become more cost effective…Hopefully a new incarnation will come along at some point because it truly is an OC institution and rite of passage (literally)…

✌️
I spent countless summers in NP.....I have all the parking tickets to show for it. If i won the lotto thats where I would live....just love it down there

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
I spent countless summers in NP.....I have all the parking tickets to show for it. If i won the lotto thats where I would live....just love it down there
Newport Beach, home of the parking meter. But please help us, or we will need to shut down the ferry.

The Newport Beach City Council this week approved its budget for the upcoming fiscal year — a total sum of $402 million.

About $330.9 million will go toward the city’s operating budget and about $71 million is earmarked for the city’s capital improvement budget for fiscal year 2022-23, which begins July 1.

City staff noted in a report prepared for Tuesday’s meeting that the operating budget reflects a 7% increase over the budget adopted for last year, which was about $309.1 million.

Reserves are holding steady at $58.8 million.

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
Little by little our country is eroding especially in liberal Calif......no wonder people are fleeing...who will be left to pay the taxes?....illegals I doubt it
By default, probably immigrants such as me....lots of Asians seem to like California...and Latinos....another generation and the inner city power broker dynamics will be changing drastically.....they wont have the votes...

But hey, wait till people in places like SF, LA etc realizes the enormous taxes they have to pay to fund some of these outrageous crap being spewed......reparations? Uh, if it pushes, then Cali will really empty out...

Latest posts