OT: Bourbon

KNOXVOL

Aug 10, 2022
Not sure if this will always work but for now you can click the link and get back to the Bourbon thread from Rivals!

Reactions: Vol_lyf

BhamVol

Aug 11, 2022
I am very excited to see this chat. I'm always ready to talk whiskey!

Sashdh44

Aug 2, 2022
So don’t crucify me but I’ve had little to no experience with whiskey and am not a big drinker, however if one were to venture into the realm of whiskey, where do I start? TIA!

SDVOL

Aug 31, 2022
Buffalo Trace is a good one to start with. Not too strong and reasonably priced.

Vol_lyf

Aug 2, 2022
So don’t crucify me but I’ve had little to no experience with whiskey and am not a big drinker, however if one were to venture into the realm of whiskey, where do I start? TIA!
Like 10 years ago I would have said EH Taylor small batch but you can’t find it anymore. For the cheaper side Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig Small batch, 1792 Small batch or (if you can find it) Buffalo Trace. For a little hotter and around $50 you should absolutely try Old Forester 1910, 1920 and Wild Turkey Rare Bread.

Find some flavors you like and hit up your local store to see what they recommend based on that.

ps single barrel store picks are usually pretty great so lean on your store in that way.

BigOrangeBruce1856

Aug 31, 2022
Like 10 years ago I would have said EH Taylor small batch but you can’t find it anymore. For the cheaper side Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig Small batch, 1792 Small batch or (if you can find it) Buffalo Trace. For a little hotter and around $50 you should absolutely try Old Forester 1910, 1920 and Wild Turkey Rare Bread.

Find some flavors you like and hit up your local store to see what they recommend based on that.

ps single barrel store picks are usually pretty great so lean on your store in that way.
Second the store picks. Russels (wild turkey distillery) is a great buy for the money, also michters rye is very good. But you can’t go wrong with anything vol_lyf mentioned

SvnaVol

Sep 5, 2022
Makers Mark. Readily available and at a good price point. And, their Private Select series is fantastic

WhiskeyDizz

Aug 25, 2022
No not at all! Got to start somewhere. I’d recommend starting with several different options such as Elijah Craig Small Batch, Rebel 100, Makers 46, Wild Turkey 101, Rittenhouse Rye, Evan Williams Bottles In Bond, and Four Roses Small Batch to see what your palate likes. And if you can sample anything in store such as picks, do that! I hope this helps