OT: Christmas Gift (non-egg bowl subject)

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
It’s that time again. Black Friday is here and cyber Monday is a couple days away. I need some ideas. What are you guys asking for? Was thinking about a sou vide? Did I spell that right? Can’t really think of anything at all that I want or need

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
It’s that time again. Black Friday is here and cyber Monday is a couple days away. I need some ideas. What are you guys asking for? Was thinking about a sou vide? Did I spell that right? Can’t really think of anything at all that I want or need
Bump?

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
In lieu of gifts, send your checks to the Bulldog Initiative. Daddy needs an offensive tackle and a left handed reliever.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The sous vide is great for reheating bbq. I get a lot of mileage out of mine when travel in the RV. Smoke/grill a bunch of goodies the week before and vac seal. We can throw it in the sous vide on a timer and go out in hikes and come home to a meal ready to eat. Very convenient.

Alternatively I will also make a recommendation on an overfired steak broiler. I think I recommended this one to you last year as well. Beefer, Otto Wilde, and Blazing Bull are a few of the brands. I have one called an Inferno and it's a game changer for steaks. True restaurant quality cook.

A friend down the road came over and lost his mind at how good the steaks were and bought 2. He just had me over for some steelhead he caught and it was unbelievable. He put all his other grills up for winter and is just using the Inferno.

Screenshot_20221126-105927_copy_457x640_1.png

Screenshot_20221126-105949_copy_540x373.png

1500° top down in a little pan of butter. It was killer. I imagine you could get your money's worth in a few trout/redfish cooks living down on the coast... Not to mention the killer steaks and pork chops.

Inferno Website

Go with the regular for $279. The $199 is missing a few handy features and the drip pans.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
The sous vide is great for reheating bbq. I get a lot of mileage out of mine when travel in the RV. Smoke/grill a bunch of goodies the week before and vac seal. We can throw it in the sous vide on a timer and go out in hikes and come home to a meal ready to eat. Very convenient.

Alternatively I will also make a recommendation on an overfired steak broiler. I think I recommended this one to you last year as well. Beefer, Otto Wilde, and Blazing Bull are a few of the brands. I have one called an Inferno and it's a game changer for steaks. True restaurant quality cook.

A friend down the road came over and lost his mind at how good the steaks were and bought 2. He just had me over for some steelhead he caught and it was unbelievable. He put all his other grills up for winter and is just using the Inferno.

View attachment 268584

View attachment 268585

1500° top down in a little pan of butter. It was killer. I imagine you could get your money's worth in a few trout/redfish cooks living down on the coast... Not to mention the killer steaks and pork chops.

Inferno Website

Go with the regular for $279. The $199 is missing a few handy features and the drip pans.
That looks interesting. Never heard of it, but might have to give it a try. Hard to tell from the pics, but do you cook one steak at a time or will it handle more?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That looks interesting. Never heard of it, but might have to give it a try. Hard to tell from the pics, but do you cook one steak at a time or will it handle more?
One at a time. I will hit both sides of a steak for 1.5 minutes each side on the grill plate. Drop it in a pan with some butter to rest for a few minutes while I hit the second one on both sides.

Once the second one is out I put the first back in with the butter for another 45 seconds per side. It takes about 10 minutes to cook two steaks. I wouldn't want to do more than 3-4 on it. Some manufacturers make bigger ones but you get up to $700+ for those.

The cooking principle is the same as most high end steak houses. The first part of the cook creates the maillard reaction to prevent much of the juice from leaking out. The heat is so high it continues cooking quite a bit through the rest. The second poaches the meat with butter and creates that killer crust.

Watch the end of this video on how Peter Luger cooks. They use an overfired broiler as well. They cut up the porterhouse and finish in a plate of butter. Must have a pretty long rest before cutting to keep the myoglobin (juices) from pouring out.

Peter Luger Steakhouse Video

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Fyi. I'm asking Santa for Meater wireless probes. (The 4-pack block) Does anyone have any experience with them?
I have the Meater Block and really like it. I’m using it today to do some beef ribs.

One thing to note, though, it’s powered via AA batteries; not a rechargeable battery pack. I thought mine was on the fritz because I had left it plugged in and the battery wasn’t charging. I felt pretty dumb when I realized it was AA batteries…

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
If you’re a hunter, there are some pretty good options for the ozone scent killer units. These are like Ozonics but not just for the deer stand. I bought one that plugs in only (not rechargeable). I should have gotten a chargeable unit but I’m getting a lot of use out of this one. I use it often at the camp to completely take the smell out of the camp house. Cook bacon? Smell is gone in 30 minutes tops. It takes the musty smell from the house after it’s empty long periods of time. I plug it into the closet and leave my hunting clothes in there to take the scent out of them. I plug into my truck on the way to the stand. I use it at home if the dog goes too long without a bath.

It is badass for your hunting clothes. I almost never use scent killer sprays now and rarely get winded by deer.

I have this one, but again I probably should have paid up for a mobile unit. I’d like to be able to put it into my clothes tote and really get the smell out like the scent killer bags.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve had a Sous Vide for years that someone gave me as a gift. I’ve never used it. I do BBQ and vacuum pack stuff but I just put it in a pot of boiling water on top of the stove. The stove is right there and that Sous Vide thingy is in a box in my grill closet. Every time I move the box to get something else I think that I need to actually try it but I never do.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Deejo

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Why don't all you 17's stay the 17 home and order online so I don't get hung up in all this Holiday Traffic?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Fyi. I'm asking Santa for Meater wireless probes. (The 4-pack block) Does anyone have any experience with them?
I have it. Keep an emory board and 1000 grit sandpaper in the box. You’ll need it to remove oxidation and soot from the charging end of the thermometers. They won’t charge if they are the slight bit dirty. Other than that, they are awesome. The app is great too.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Lite Boots made by a Bulldog in West Point
This right here if you are a hunter. I bought a pair and love them. Hell I wore them to the GA game to test how they did in cold weather. I’ve worn bogs, lacrosse and mucks in the past and the LITE boots are far more comfortable and lighter than tennis shoes.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
This right here if you are a hunter. I bought a pair and love them. Hell I wore them to the GA game to test how they did in cold weather. I’ve worn bogs, lacrosse and mucks in the past and the LITE boots are far more comfortable and lighter than tennis shoes.
Those look really nice and if they’re that good it’s a surprisingly reasonable price

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I’ve had a Sous Vide for years that someone gave me as a gift. I’ve never used it. I do BBQ and vacuum pack stuff but I just put it in a pot of boiling water on top of the stove. The stove is right there and that Sous Vide thingy is in a box in my grill closet. Every time I move the box to get something else I think that I need to actually try it but I never do.
Same sentiment. I used it once and didn't see anything about it I couldn't do w/ a vac bag in a pot on low or crock pot. I gave it to my sister about 4 years ago and asked her Thanksgiving if she ever used it and said she didn't even know where it is or if she still has it

Reactions: aTotal360

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Same sentiment. I used it once and didn't see anything about it I couldn't do w/ a vac bag in a pot on low or crock pot. I gave it to my sister about 4 years ago and asked her Thanksgiving if she ever used it and said she didn't even know where it is or if she still has it
I can only think of two advantages with sous vide over a pot on the stove. But they're big for me.

1. You can manage temp way better with a sous vide than a pot. I reheat vac sealed frozen brisket for 2 hours at 150°. Just set the container and sous vide up, drop the frozen brisket in, and go about my day. Doing that on the stove is basically cooking. You will have to adjust the heat constantly on a stove top pot or crock pot as the water temp rises as the brisket warms.

2. It's completely safe to leave a sous vide unattended. Can't do that with a stove.

Sous vide has been a game changer for my BBQ game. It's always been hard to justify smoking a brisket or a several slabs of ribs without feeding 10+ people, because the left overs end up get dried out in the microwave or oven. Now I cook whatever I want for myself. Vac seal the leftovers in a few bags and reheat some down the line for a nearly identical flavor.

I will set the sous vide up and drop the meat in at 4:00 and go to the post office, hardware store, pick the kids up and get home to BBQ ready to eat. I guess you could do that in a pot on the stove or slow cooker if you're willing to sit and watch it for a few hours to adjust the heat, but 17 that.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Quick question on the Meater probe....I noticed that the internal part can only go up to 212 degrees, while the ambient end can go to 515 degrees. If using in a boston butt or brisket, how far into the meat does the probe need to be to not expose the internal part of the probe to the 225-230 degrees of the grill? I am looking at the two pack for Christmas as well but dont want it to be easy to mess the thermometer up while using it.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Quick question on the Meater probe....I noticed that the internal part can only go up to 212 degrees, while the ambient end can go to 515 degrees. If using in a boston butt or brisket, how far into the meat does the probe need to be to not expose the internal part of the probe to the 225-230 degrees of the grill? I am looking at the two pack for Christmas as well but dont want it to be easy to mess the thermometer up while using it.
I stick mine in halfway (TWSS) into the thickest part of the meat. Just make sure you don't hit bone (TWSS).

Reactions: STATEgrad04