Outcoached Donte?

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Was Donte badly outcoached? Was the DC badly outcoached? Harrell outcoached?
I’m not buying he’s putting all of it on himself although his mantra is “us” since taking the head coach title. Personally CTO defense was not helping provide support to the offense. Offense was sputtering under Slovis because he’s no threat to run unlike a Dart. When I saw Nico last night I was especially happy that he’s a guy still possible for USC and his play is a more Dart-like than Slovis.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
I don't even think that Dart is that fast. To me, he's just big and willing. Now, "willing" will get you yards, but it will also get you killed. I had actually posted a admonition on TOS back in December that (based upon his HS film) he had better change his ways or he's going to eat it BIG TIME. Running with your head on a swivel and sliding has to be a part of every practice (if only for a few minutes). Practice builds habits.

...but back to your point--yes, they ALL got outcoached.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Well I’ve heard SS mentioned a few time Bryce Young is the perfect QB for this sort of offense and Dart is a similar QB as a dual threat. I know this is very unpopular opinion but Harrell never brought in one of his own QB recruits to run the offense. His future is bright although not very at the moment w the talent available to him. With BY I can say almost for certain we’d be singing another tune had he stayed a Trojan and ran Harrells offense. It’s likely we’ll never see Harrell field one of his own recruited dual-threat QB talents.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Well I’ve heard SS mentioned a few time Bryce Young is the perfect QB for this sort of offense and Dart is a similar QB as a dual threat. I know this is very unpopular opinion but Harrell never brought in one of his own QB recruits to run the offense. His future is bright although not very at the moment w the talent available to him. With BY I can say almost for certain we’d be singing another tune had he stayed a Trojan and ran Harrells offense. It’s likely we’ll never see Harrell field one of his own recruited dual-threat QB talents.

Wow, you haven't completely written off GH, huh? I see where you are coming from with what Dart showed, but I just think that these last couple of years have totally exposed him as being completely not ready for prime time.

Merlin4SC

Jun 23, 2021
I’m not buying he’s putting all of it on himself although his mantra is “us” since taking the head coach title. Personally CTO defense was not helping provide support to the offense. Offense was sputtering under Slovis because he’s no threat to run unlike a Dart. When I saw Nico last night I was especially happy that he’s a guy still possible for USC and his play is a more Dart-like than Slovis.
All the above! we now know why Orlando is not at Texazz anymore, and we already knew air raids were not a fit here, but Harrell isn't even a good judge of talent or skill sets. As for Dante, well it sucks but I already said he wasn't ready for prime time let alone a coordinator's spot yet.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Wow, you haven't completely written off GH, huh? I see where you are coming from with what Dart showed, but I just think that these last couple of years have totally exposed him as being completely not ready for prime time.

Not saying he’s impressed . He’s also not seen his type of QB take the starting role and we saw a glimpse of what that could be with Dart playing. Slovis needs a different offense. Think of when he took over for JT and the offense they ran for him and it worked for Slovis. JT and Slovis more similar style QBs.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Is this a trick question? What are we doing here? Are you asking me to pull your finger?

Of coarse they were out coached. Donte Williams has never been a HC at any level. I’m not even sure if he’s run a pop Warner team before.

Orlando was fired at his last job in Texas
Scott Wolf called GH a Hick from Texas.
Snyder was a throw away from K-State his dad was a legendary coach and they wouldn’t hire him as his successor what does that say about him?
Naivar and Vic are journeymen assists you can hire guys like this every year in the off season. They’re a dime a dozen.
Baker’s claim to fame is being GH’s friend.

It doesn’t take a lot to out Coach this group. Just sayin.

Last edited:

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Just saying I think there’s a message behind the message of Dontes post game comments.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Heard him say the loss is on him . He really meant the DC and or OC are f***** up.

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
Not saying he’s impressed . He’s also not seen his type of QB take the starting role and we saw a glimpse of what that could be with Dart playing. Slovis needs a different offense. Think of when he took over for JT and the offense they ran for him and it worked for Slovis. JT and Slovis more similar style QBs.
His type of QB?? He couldn't stop talking about Kedon Slovis to the point where it likely cost us Bryce Young. Now you're insinuating he isn't his type of quarterback???

Reactions: 03burrito

Scyeller

Aug 24, 2017
All the above! we now know why Orlando is not at Texazz anymore, and we already knew air raids were not a fit here, but Harrell isn't even a good judge of talent or skill sets. As for Dante, well it sucks but I already said he wasn't ready for prime time let alone a coordinator's spot yet.
Remember how all these people got here. Helton. His judgment got these coaches here. Helton couldn’t develop player or coaching talent.

TahoeTrojan

Feb 7, 2018
DH seems like a great guy and someone you want on your staff. Love the accountability aspect, but he is coaching with one hand tied behind his back. This team is what it is, and you can’t build Rome overnight. DH is not ready for this gig, but is someone I hope the nest guy keeps on staff. Him and maybe Vic. Everyone else can go

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
His type of QB?? He couldn't stop talking about Kedon Slovis to the point where it likely cost us Bryce Young. Now you're insinuating he isn't his type of quarterback???

It’s all relative comparison but stating facts. Name the QB on this team that he recruited not Jaxson Dart or Miller Moss. Jaxsons game speaks for itself.

yah20002

Aug 24, 2017
Did Donte call plays? Did he design the O/D schemes and game plan for OSU? He took responsibility, though. That was admirable on his part.

I get the not having players narrative……sometimes. What about having better players than SJSU? That was a tight game until the late pick 6 by Johnson. Oh, SJSU just put up 3 points in a loss to mighty W. Mich.

Are we now saying OSU have better players than SC? This is the same team that lost to Big 10 bottom feeder Purdue.

That scathing article in the Athletic pretty much explains, in detail, how the Helton era failed so miserably. Read about the lack of development with all the blue chip prospects Clay brought in. Or, what HS coaches say about SC. How they steer players AWAY from SC.

This was a rotten apple that was allowed to infect the whole bunch. From S&C, OC/DC, assistants, grad assistants, and mostly, the players. A failure on so many levels.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Did Donte call plays? Did he design the O/D schemes and game plan for OSU? He took responsibility, though. That was admirable on his part.

I get the not having players narrative……sometimes. What about having better players than SJSU? That was a tight game until the late pick 6 by Johnson. Oh, SJSU just put up 3 points in a loss to mighty W. Mich.

Are we now saying OSU have better players than SC? This is the same team that lost to Big 10 bottom feeder Purdue.

That scathing article in the Athletic pretty much explains, in detail, how the Helton era failed so miserably. Read about the lack of development with all the blue chip prospects Clay brought in. Or, what HS coaches say about SC. How they steer players AWAY from SC.

This was a rotten apple that was allowed to infect the whole bunch. From S&C, OC/DC, assistants, grad assistants, and mostly, the players. A failure on so many levels.
That's USC right now and it has to change and fast before it gets any better the cancer was allowed to fester and these are the results.

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
sometimes I think Slovis is glued into the turf

Latest posts