Pat Haden thrown out of campus classroom by LAPD

Ridge Rider

Mar 7, 2020
In 1973 to 1975 I was working in downtown at 8th and Flower Streets. Once a month I had to "pull" a Sunday shift, but didn't mind as downtown Los Angeles on Sunday mornings was a unique and compelling world. Because it was so quiet, it was somewhat ideal for filming movies and TV. In those days I watched "Police Story", "The Blue Knight" (one of the first made for TV movies also by Joseph Wambaugh), and many others being filmed.

The Blue Knight was one of the inspirations for me to become a police officer, so recently when I spotted the movie (starring William Holden and Lee Remick) on Blu-ray, I bought it. Yesterday, as I sat back with a cup of coffee I was thoroughly amused when a scene showed Officer "Bumper" Morgan (Holden) visiting his college professor girlfriend "Cassie" (Remick), in her empty after class classroom. Things begin to get romantic when Cassie suggests that they "lock the door".

Just then two students walk in the door. One was an Angela Davis look-a-like, and the other a clean cut college prep with surfer hair, played by none other than Pat Haden. He was the USC quarterback at the time.
Cassie tells Bumper that these two are bothering her, so Bumper orders them out. Haden quickly leaves but "Angela" just stands there staring. The scene then cuts away. What a hoot.

We all know that USC lineman Marion Morrison played hookie and went body surfing at Newport Beach and was significantly injured ruining his football career, but launching one of the most famous Hollywood careers ever. (John Wayne)
Clara Bow was known for hosting many after game parties and dinners for USC players in the mid '20s after attending a game as a publicity move. Apparently she became quite a fan, but never the floozie as reported in Hollywood rags, at least regarding the football team.

I had heard that USC players were used as extras in the 1960 movie Spartacus (Kirk Douglas). Does anyone know of this or any other early "NIL" type of on screen perks provided to SC players?
1632851697720.jpeg

Last edited:

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
With Ron Howard and George Lucas turning out films over the years I would expect many USC undergrads were in films---particularly American Graffiti

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
In 1973 to 1975 I was working in downtown at 8th and Flower Streets. Once a month I had to "pull" a Sunday shift, but didn't mind as downtown Los Angeles on Sunday mornings was a unique and compelling world. Because it was so quiet, it was somewhat ideal for filming movies and TV. In those days I watched "Police Story", "The Blue Knight" (one of the first made for TV movies also by Joseph Wambaugh), and many others being filmed.

The Blue Knight was one of the inspirations for me to become a police officer, so recently when I spotted the movie (starring William Holden and Lee Remick) on Blu-ray, I bought it. Yesterday, as I sat back with a cup of coffee I was thoroughly amused when a scene showed Officer "Bumper" Morgan (Holden) visiting his college professor girlfriend "Cassie" (Remick), in her empty after class classroom. Things begin to get romantic when Cassie suggests that they "lock the door".

Just then two students walk in the door. One was an Angela Davis look-a-like, and the other a clean cut college prep with surfer hair, played by none other than Pat Haden. He was the USC quarterback at the time.
Cassie tells Bumper that these two are bothering her, so Bumper orders them out. Haden quickly leaves but "Angela" just stands there staring. The scene then cuts away. What a hoot.

We all know that USC lineman Marion Morrison played hookie and went body surfing at Newport Beach and was significantly injured ruining his football career, but launching one of the most famous Hollywood careers ever. (John Wayne)
Clara Bow was known for hosting many after game parties and dinners for USC players in the mid '20s after attending a game as a publicity move. Apparently she became quite a fan, but never the floozie as reported in Hollywood rags, at least regarding the football team.

I had heard that USC players were used as extras in the 1960 movie Spartacus (Kirk Douglas). Does anyone know of this or any other early "NIL" type of on screen perks provided to SC players?
View attachment 154660
Does the whole team raw dogging Mae West count?

Reactions: Pudly76