Perusing the old FGF on our coaching hire

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Just for kicks, I hopped over there to refresh my memory on all the discussion surrounding our coaching hire. I was gonna try to compile a list of candidates that were mentioned, but it was basically anyone with a pulse. Too many to count.

However, below are some of the more interesting comments surrounding the Beamer hire.

The whole "search" was a joke. They started with Beamer and will end with him. We're not serious about winning in football yet they'll throw away 100s of millions of dollars on it. Should be criminal.

We don't have men in the position of leadership with vision and know how. We are not going anywhere anytime soon.

No one, I mean no one, is coveting this guy for any position on any staff and we're giving him the keys to the car. Ray's last parting gift to us before retirement in 4 years. This is equivalent to the Steve Fig Newton or Sparky hire-and may be worse. At least King Dixon (RIP) was only our AD for a few years before McGee took over. Ray on the other hand by 2024 will have had 12 years to completely dismantle Carolina major mens sports.

Beamer is a hope and a prayer...but even more so he is the cheap option. He will work for less $ than Napier or Freeze and he will save the AD money by retaining a few assistant coaches. This is nothing more than a sham search if Beamer is selected.

Other than he coached here and his last name, how is he qualified? no other school is looking to hire him. Might as well interview Jeep Hunter or Jay Graham for head coach too. They have never been coordinators either. Beamer would be a very USC move.

The sad thing is Ole Miss took another shot and it will probably pay off...meanwhile it appears we are going to go the "safe" route and screw this up again. Only one school could go from SOS to Muskrat to Beamer...us. What a joke.

Completely unqualified. Would be a joke of a hire.

Exactly! Exactly! If they think that Beamer is a Dabo they are sadly mistaken. As you say, what are his credentials? If this happens this is typical of a Ray decision. How we screw up? Even Muschsmp is better. We go from bad to worse.

Thread title: "So in 5 years when Beamer becomes a position coach again."

One comment predicted he would need 7-8 years to accomplish anything.

I am also against this hire. There are far better choices out there. It's stupid to take this big a risk after the five years we've just been subjected to. Just further proof that Tanner is not qualified to make hiring decisions. Right now is the time to spend the money to get someone more likely to improve our team. Not the time for an experiment.

and on and on it goes...Anyway, you get the gist...

TheRev

Jan 22, 2022
To be honest, I for one wasn't thrilled with the initial hire. I felt like with the way Spurrier turned things around here, we should be able to land a big name candidate. Shane has made me into a believer now. If he can get the OC position hire right, he will only continue to do bigger and better things.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
To be honest, I for one wasn't thrilled with the initial hire. I felt like with the way Spurrier turned things around here, we should be able to land a big name candidate. Shane has made me into a believer now. If he can get the OC position hire right, he will only continue to do bigger and better things.

I was initially aghast at the idea but gradually warmed up to it by the time the hire was made. There is something to be said for hiring a guy who wants to coach at your school specifically. I could be wrong, but I don't see Shane ever leaving for another job on his own accord.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
Most on this board were not thrilled with hiring a HC with no coordinator experience. Of course, Shane could be a coordinator. He was plenty qualified to be a coord. Dabo was not one either.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
Most on this board were not thrilled with hiring a HC with no coordinator experience.
It was an awkward time:
- Post covid season/opt out players
- AD finances not in great shape
- Extra season granted to players + portal transfers made recruiting/roster management a bigger mystery

Lots of abnormal circumstances that seemed to be stacked against USC.

Reactions: MrCockStrong

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I also remember some fans being irrationally P*SSED that Beamer finished out coaching the season at OU even after his hire here was announced. It didn't matter that there was no in-person recruiting and things were being done virtually. Some saw it as an absolutely fatal flaw.

Reactions: athenscock3

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
Very, very interesting. Thanks for your research. I suspect this is just a sample of the harsh posts. Typical of some posters who put up crap after some things went bad at the outset of the game Saturday before the end of the game and the final score. Knee jerks aplenty .Tanner took major heat but so far his hire is looking good. I did not think we would get out of the lower echelon of the SEC this year but here we are in the middle already. Next years schedule starts with killers. Go to the portal, hang in to the commits, get the last ones we are recruiting to sign and hope for the best. Great to end on a positive note!

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
Shane was a complete unknown. Total mystery. We knew nothing.

Muschamp was a mind boggling mistake...."thoughts & prayers".
I highly doubt Coach BOOM! will ever get another HC gig at a power 5 school. He's just a natural DC, that's all. He can't be trusted with offense or clock management and he's always blaming the wrong people. He's incapable of handling criticism. Still has never said the classy thing after not being retained. He walked away with a lot of money and still he's bitter. So glad he's in the rearview. To me, the biggest nail in his coffin is that he gets players drafted that can't even win games for him. Very telling.