Petros discusses Clay Helton firing

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
I have zero interest in anything Petros or Wolf have to say. I don’t expect them to be rah-rah guys, but they have no interest in USC football returning to prominence. Their shtick is to always complain about what’s wrong with school administration, athletic department and coaching staff. Somehow they feel that’s what drives ratings and web hits. I guarantee that whomever is ultimately hired they will criticize the choice. Even if it’s Urban Meyer or Nick Saban.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Wolfie/Petros occasionally stumble onto something insightful or interesting, but make no mistake, their existence revolves around slamming SC. When someone wants a hatchet-job piece or editorial slamming SC, they figure who better than Petros...an alum (he keepz it real, wink-wink).

Petros can still be entertaining and occasionally have some inside scoop, but generally, he's on the outside and serves as a rabble-rouser. bRuin fans love him.

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I never said unbiased….I said justified. ;)

Yea, many of us had issues with Pete and how he handled everything after the Oklahoma game. And it cost him. Pete was standing on the edge of CFB immorality. And he blinked.
The moment was simply too big for him. He started thinking it was all him. Pushed out good assistants, hired bootlicks.
Won a lot of games vs a very down P12/UCLA/ND.
But those decisions in January ’05 have cursed this program every since.
Yeah. What they say is always skewed against USC. Period. Petros never wanted to attend USC, went to kal and walked out on the team the first days of camp. Then he tried F’ucla, but they wouldn’t have him. Since his firing from the announcer position he’s been off the rails. And wolf deserves no credit for anything.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Petros was funny once....at the Taverna. It was not too long after the Bush Push game. He arrived late, chugged down 2 glasses of red wine, spoke to the entire group, and was absolutely hilarious. But it was just that one time.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Petros is Petros. I don’t care much for his commentary, though he occasionally has something interesting to say. Wolf is as was said, I feel like I need to take a shower after listening to him.

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017

Yea, many of us had issues with Pete and how he handled everything after the Oklahoma game. And it cost him. Pete was standing on the edge of CFB immorality. And he blinked.
The moment was simply too big for him. He started thinking it was all him. Pushed out good assistants, hired bootlicks.

This may be the worst description of the Pete Carroll era that I've ever seen.

"Won a lot of games vs a very down P12/UCLA/ND and basically every other opponent put in front of his teams." FIFY

0-1 vs Texas will never lose the sting, but to act like Pete's run was fueled by perfect timing and weak opponents is absolute nonsense.

The reason his teams didn't at least play for more titles by 2008 has everything to do with a rigged BCS system. Even still, it's not like they were going into the Rose Bowl and laying down each year. There were definitely mistakes made, but you act as if the team just fell apart after 2005. They were still pummeling teams in big matchups every single year he was there, even '09(at tOSU w/frosh QB) which was a down year. Pretty good for a staff full of bootlickers, I think.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Neither one bother me. I get board with them after awhile and tune out but always seem to go back. I take it for what it’s worth. They give their opinions just like we do here. Most of the USC and Helton bashing was justified IMHO.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Petros is Petros. I don’t care much for his commentary, though he occasionally has something interesting to say. Wolf is as was said, I feel like I need to take a shower after listening to him.
I will always give him credit for breaking down the whole Reggie Bush affair, right at the beginning, in a perfectly concise and razor sharp truthful way.

” Couldn’t they have just eaten Ramen’s for another year?”

He also said something about them bringing shame on his University.

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017
I know, I know….the truth is difficult to accept.

2009 was a disaster of a year. 9-4, 5-4 in P12, completely embarrassed at home by Stanford, yea, great example dude. Hilarious!- One bad season out of his final 8. Still beat tOSU, ND, fucla and won their bowl game.

2008 was a great defense, best in school history, best in the nation that year. Got undressed on national TV by a midget RB. NTM an offense that struggled to score 30 points vs anyone with a pulse.- Lies, except the part about the defense.
1631897563139.png
That 2007 staff is arguably the worst in CFB history. Cutty Sark, Nick Holt, Dog Fighter McNair, Spaulding, Pill popping Watson, Ruel, Do ya love it Yogi Roth….yea, aside from the drunk, are any of those guys still in football? Oh and Rocky Seto, quite certain he’s out of FB as well.

I know we all love Pete for bringing us back to prominence, but Pete was a tale of two completely different coaches at SC.
1631897452895.png
34-5 w/ three Rose Bowl wins during this period. Horrible!!!

You can't re-write history. Nice try though.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I know, I know….the truth is difficult to accept.

2009 was a disaster of a year. 9-4, 5-4 in P12, completely embarrassed at home by Stanford, yea, great example dude. Hilarious!

2008 was a great defense, best in school history, best in the nation that year. Got undressed on national TV by a midget RB. NTM an offense that struggled to score 30 points vs anyone with a pulse.

That 2007 staff is arguably the worst in CFB history. Cutty Sark, Nick Holt, Dog Fighter McNair, Spaulding, Pill popping Watson, Ruel, Do ya love it Yogi Roth….yea, aside from the drunk, are any of those guys still in football? Oh and Rocky Seto, quite certain he’s out of FB as well.

I know we all love Pete for bringing us back to prominence, but Pete was a tale of two completely different coaches at SC.
I’ll have you know, Mr Smarty pants, that Nick Holt is a Head Coach of a professional football team.
The Skorpions Varese of the Federazione Italiana di American.

Which kinda sounds like a great gig, ha ha

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017
Reading is fundamental.

I clearly stated Pete won a bunch of games vs a down Pac12/UCLA/ND. That is undeniable.
I clearly read that and acknowledged it. The problem is that you're acting as if the BCS bowl games and big OOC games during those seasons don't count for anything.

I get it though. If you factored in those games, your narrative is nuked.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017
Your revisionist history of what actually took place is hilarious….
I posted actual results. You are the one weaving in your own opinion to each post and stating it as fact.

The old "If you're not first, you're last." argument, is what you're resorting to now. (y)

By that standard, Nick Saban is the only great college coach we've seen in decades. Even Urban Meyer is subpar and was lucky to win the three that he did, right? He has wayyyyy more non-championship seasons than championship seasons and his teams had SO MUCH talent! 😂

CP619

Aug 24, 2017
The 2 best parts about the PMS show...

1. Matt "Money" Smith doing his Clay Helton impression - definitely going to miss this.
2. The Karate Kid 2 drops of Sato yelling "You see your father then you see me!"

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017

And it started with Norm being shown the door after the Orange Bowl win over Iowa. Pete hated to hear the phrase pete caroll head coach, norm chow offensive genius. so he made the necessary dismissals.

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
I remember as the run began there was talk of building a pair of statues to the two co head coaches who were going to lead Sc on the greatest run in college football history, and you know, that run should have occurred. Multiple titles should and would have been won by sc if petes ego hadnt gotten in the way.

Reactions: Cherokee55

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
And let's be real, if "wanting to take a shower after you talk to them" was such a bad thing, how can Urb Meyer be at the top of most lists (besides the winning part)?

Ask Porter Gustin about his meeting of Urb on a recruiting trip...lol. Dude's a used Range Rover salesman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pudly76

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
And let's be real, if "wanting to take a shower after you talk to them" was such a bad thing, how can Urb Meyer be at the top of most lists (besides the winning part)?

Ask Porter Gustin about his meeting of Urb on a recruiting trip...lol. Dude's a used Range Rover salesman.
Well in hindsight he should have bought the Range Rover.

Reactions: August West

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Well in hindsight he should have bought the Range Rover.
We'll never know. Plenty of recruits committed to tOSU that didn't pan out. Combine that w/ a lesser academic school. Porter, like others, have their reasons besides the final W/L record.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
We'll never know. Plenty of recruits committed to tOSU that didn't pan out. Combine that w/ a lesser academic school. Porter, like others, have their reasons besides the final W/L

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
We'll never know. Plenty of recruits committed to tOSU that didn't pan out. Combine that w/ a lesser academic school. Porter, like others, have their reasons besides the final W/L record.
Porter would have been much better off at Ohio State, urban wanted him to play DL, but Gustin wanted to be a linebacker. Sark offered him at LB. Porter was never a linebacker. Also 2015 era Ohio State had a FAR Superior strength and conditioning program, training table, nutrition program, draft record, and just about everything else. Nobody will dispute that. Porter would have been much better off there regardless.

Reactions: UscCovidAlum

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Porter would have been much better off at Ohio State, urban wanted him to play DL, but Gustin wanted to be a linebacker. Sark offered him at LB. Porter was never a linebacker. Also 2015 era Ohio State had a FAR Superior strength and conditioning program, training table, nutrition program, draft record, and just about everything else. Nobody will dispute that. Porter would have been much better off there regardless.
Crazy concept, but some recruits still have this silly thing called dignity. When a bigtime coach shows up to your HS basketball game to recruit you, but doesn't know who you are and shakes some other player's hand...then tries to play it off like he knew...kind of a turnoff. Call me crazy.

Perhaps Rod Tidwell would have been better off going w/ Bob Sugar rather than Jerry Maguire and made more money...

1631905534553.png

But if we're debating actuarial tables of probabilities for a better CFB career...I agree w/ you.

*** And by the by, never the right decision to go for the Range Rover, only varying degrees of regret.

Last edited:

FilthyJim

Aug 31, 2021
I have zero interest in anything Petros or Wolf have to say. I don’t expect them to be rah-rah guys, but they have no interest in USC football returning to prominence. Their shtick is to always complain about what’s wrong with school administration, athletic department and coaching staff. Somehow they feel that’s what drives ratings and web hits. I guarantee that whomever is ultimately hired they will criticize the choice. Even if it’s Urban Meyer or Nick Saban.

Hilarious you call this out when that is MO with half the posters on these boards...

Reactions: HectorSpectre

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Lost me at petros. The day of the firing, I tuned in since they were the only ones talking about it at that moment and he had fricking Wolf on. Aren’t they both basically persona non grata on campus?
I was at SC with Pet. He was called on to gain a half-yard up-the-middle. His contribution as a football analysis is just as impressive!

Latest posts