Plot Thickening RE Caleb Williams

Alkebulan7

Aug 24, 2017
IMO, his dad is more concerned preparing him for the NFL where he can get paid $20+ mil. I could be wrong but with his talent he can wait 2 years for the big pay day.
My thoughts were if his dad is more concerned about CW's preparation for the next level, then the coach they identified last year as that guy is right here at SC.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
7/5/20:
Williams said the success of Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts helped convince him to commit to Riley and the Sooners.
The way Riley was able to take advantage of each quarterback's strengths and weaknesses despite wildly different skill sets played a big part, Williams said.

"That is true,” Williams’ father, Carl Williams, told SI Sooners Wednesday in a text message. “The scholarship was not a determinant factor in our decision. Never made the spreadsheet. If we decided that this was the best place for him to help him reach his ultimate goal then he would enroll as a regular student, walk-on, and see what happens. Competition makes you better.”

Hopefully, after their "due diligence", the same conclusion will be reached towards SC. That is if it's about development for the next level and not who is offering the highest NIL deal.
Yes you would think the NIL deal would still be secondary to development.

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
The one scenario that I see a lot of overreaction to here is the one where USC ends up with neither CW nor JD. I honestly can't imagine that specifically happening, primarily for the reason that LFR understands better (much, much better) than anyone on these boards how critical it is to have a top-flight QB to run his offensive system and he's not going to gamble potentially losing both. That'd be completely asinine, like having a solid bird in hand and gambling it for only something similar. If LFR wasn't very confident he could land CW in the first place, he'd likely have made assurances on the side to JD that he'll be his QB this year. I just can't see LFR making such a dumb decision or taking that big of a risk. Gomer, yes, but not LFR who's got a few trillion more cranial cells than his predecessor.

SGV1

Sep 1, 2021
To be honest, as a Trojans fan, this is beginning to be a little too much of a "diva" show to me. This guy was just put on the national stage a few months ago when CLR benched one of the pre-season heisman favorites. Yeah he had some good games under CLR's system, what else need to be considered? If development for the next level is really the priority what's the song and dance for? Seems like to me CW and his dad trying to drive up the NIL price. If that's the case, to hell with them. Malachi Nelson will be here next year.
Oh look. You’re famous.

Who's High Pitch?

Sep 13, 2017
My thoughts were if his dad is more concerned about CW's preparation for the next level, then the coach they identified last year as that guy is right here at SC.
Because quite frankly, the OL he had at OU isn't here (amongst some of the other skill guys) that might make him a 1st rounder.

Reactions: Jay4usc

RB4SC

Sep 18, 2017
Oh look. You’re famous.

If CW or his "group" is worried about the TIPPITY-TAPPIN' of message board jockeys all of us'in...he ain't gonna make it to SUNDAY Game days anyway...and least not too many Sunday Game Days...athletes like CW fully understand the concept to, "Stay in the tunnel..."

As much as most of us don't want to BELEIVE it, our ideas, concerns, OPINIONS play no role in the real world of our favorite team(s). But hey, it's fun to BELIEVE! Our only role is about the $$$$$$ we're WILLING to spend on ol' SC!

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
RB4SC

Reactions: STRECKERmemo

Barryg0791

Dec 4, 2021
IF Mr. Williams knows that, THEN why in the world did he WASTE a day and a half with the bRuins? Just curious...

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
RB4SC
I think CW is getting an understanding of what NIL deals and programs there are out there so that we can complete better.
I don't think CW has any interest in going anywhere else other than SC.
He had the same options before he chose OU and Lincoln Riley, and look....he's "considering" transferring to USC?
CLR and Bohn will now have verifiable information on how others are working NIL so that we can produce better NIL programs.
Look at who he's talking to; Ucla, Georgia, Ole Miss, 'Bama....he's not going to QB those teams.
CLR is where he's going.
Fight On! ✌️

Who's High Pitch?

Sep 13, 2017
The one scenario that I see a lot of overreaction to here is the one where USC ends up with neither CW nor JD. I honestly can't imagine that specifically happening, primarily for the reason that LFR understands better (much, much better) than anyone on these boards how critical it is to have a top-flight QB to run his offensive system and he's not going to gamble potentially losing both. That'd be completely asinine, like having a solid bird in hand and gambling it for only something similar. If LFR wasn't very confident he could land CW in the first place, he'd likely have made assurances on the side to JD that he'll be his QB this year. I just can't see LFR making such a dumb decision or taking that big of a risk. Gomer, yes, but not LFR who's got a few trillion more cranial cells than his predecessor.
We do not have to give assurances as if we were lawyers..

RJC15

Sep 23, 2017
could it be that SC doesn’t want him to leave LA? So they encouraged CW to take the official with the bRUINS so they can pay for the 3 day hotel visit? Then commit after the weekend? Just saying….😂

Yale

Sep 29, 2017
I don't disagree with your thoughts but with NIL monies out there for the taking, how does any program not have their fair share of kids pursuing "brand building?" Like it or not, that IS the culture, whether you build it or not. Today's coach has to live with a mix of "mercenaries" along those who won't play a down of football after college. You don't push those guys out but you also can't ignore the kids who can capitalize on this new revenue stream. Those special talents are what make or break you as a coach.
maybe it can be turned into unit credit in business school as being part of starting a small business on glorifying SELF...that must be truly worthwhile as opposed to being part of a team to work towards something mundane like a National championship or a career in pro ball to make millions after one leaves college.

Reactions: gubo&palanka

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
We do not have to give assurances as if we were lawyers..
You're talking 18-19 yo kids, not mature adults in the work force. Retaining CFB players is just like recruiting them. You absolutely have to continue selling them in this era of Gen. Z players and the transfer portal. Only exception would be if you're trading up big-time.

Who's High Pitch?

Sep 13, 2017
You're talking 18-19 yo kids, not mature adults in the work force. Retaining CFB players is just like recruiting them. You absolutely have to continue selling them in this era of Gen. Z players and the transfer portal. Only exception would be if you're trading up big-time.
You talk about recruiting, but is recruiting gonna our QB back to us, or OUs QB back to them? I forego all recruitment of Dart, but I have selfish reasons. CLRs last QB, Caleb, is in the transfer portal and we have to make arrangements to bring him in and clear him to play next season. But if some unlucky accident should befall him: if he commits to another school, or gets academic probation, or gets struck by a bolt of lightning, I'm gonna blame some of the people on this thread. And that, i do NOT forgive. But that aside, i swear on the soles of my grandchildren that I will not be the one to break the peace we have made today.

Alkebulan7

Aug 24, 2017
You talk about recruiting, but is recruiting gonna our QB back to us, or OUs QB back to them? I forego all recruitment of Dart, but I have selfish reasons. CLRs last QB, Caleb, is in the transfer portal and we have to make arrangements to bring him in and clear him to play next season. But if some unlucky accident should befall him: if he commits to another school, or gets academic probation, or gets struck by a bolt of lightning, I'm gonna blame some of the people on this thread. And that, i do NOT forgive. But that aside, i swear on the soles of my grandchildren that I will not be the one to break the peace we have made today.
LOL Don Corleone! Post of the year no doubt!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Who's High Pitch?

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
Point is you do have to give assurances (verbal) today. This is a different era and these are again, 18-19 yos. They'll walk in a heartbeat, just witness the 2,600+ CFB athletes currently in the TP. The most likely reason LFR isn't chasing JD is he feels confident deep-down that CW will come and this is is a matter of trading up QBs. If he honestly didn't feel that, his only move would have been to give JD enough assurances that he'd be starting this year. In that case, his bird-in-hand would have trumped trying to get another QB through the TP.

Last edited:

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
This kid is going to play all options. I guess the question in the end would be all things being equal " Would you rather have a degree from USC or from OK or Alabama et al. I think the options with a USC degree as a fall back position if his career is interrupted is much more desirable IMO. I would like him to come here but I agree if he continues to play the diva role that can't be a good thing for our program. I would rather have someone who loves USC and sees the potential of playing for us. I guess that is the homer in me coming out...:cool:

TrojanMoondoggie

Aug 24, 2017
^^Agree.
And let's face it, there is a little (or a lot of) homer in all of us.
But when LR was hired, there will be those who assumed that the second the hire was made we would get every coach we wanted and every recruit we wanted. As if USC was the pot of gold at the end of everyone's rainbow. LR has signed on the dotted line and we're going to get the best of it all. After all, we're everyone's holy grail.
Unfortunately, that's not how it is. Despite the "homer"ism in all of us, USC is not the only blue blood. And/or it's not the only school with a good football image (blue blood or not). We could list all of the blue bloods. We could then list those schools that have good football pedigrees, even if they don't quite make the cut as a blue blood. And SC is only one of them.
Let this kid do whatever he wants. We have a promising future ahead with LR at the helm, with or without him.
There are enough good players out there who are looking at USC again. And that's a good thing. It will be fun to watch.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
This kid is going to play all options. I guess the question in the end would be all things being equal " Would you rather have a degree from USC or from OK or Alabama et al. I think the options with a USC degree as a fall back position if his career is interrupted is much more desirable IMO. I would like him to come here but I agree if he continues to play the diva role that can't be a good thing for our program. I would rather have someone who loves USC and sees the potential of playing for us. I guess that is the homer in me coming out...:cool:
If he's like most football players and majors in Sociology, etc, I don't think it will matter where he gets his degree from. Football players from ANY big college program will always have a leg up, even if they don't get their degree. Their connections via their sport is what will work. If he's smart, capable, hard-working, has solid values, his degree could be from dipshitU and he'll end up being successful.

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
If he's like most football players and majors in Sociology, etc, I don't think it will matter where he gets his degree from. Football players from ANY big college program will always have a leg up, even if they don't get their degree. Their connections via their sport is what will work. If he's smart, capable, hard-working, has solid values, his degree could be from dipshitU and he'll end up being successful.
Unfortunately, you are probably correct in your assessment. College athletics is a whole different animal.

philatrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Every conference has silo thinking. On top of that, after texas and oklahoma announced they were joining the SEC, the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 formed an alliance that hasn't helped further the process. Then, you have the Rose Bowl, Big Ten and Pac-12 favoring a model that gets as close to its participants playing on the game's traditional date of Jan. 1 at 5 p.m. ET. At some point, the trade-off is going to be 12 teams for the letting go of the Rose Bowl in it's traditional sunset time slot.
The non-SEC conferences want to expand, even if there is still some disagreement around the details. But all the conferences need to agree to expand to get out of the current contract and the SEC has not motivation to concede to the other conferences until the current contract is over. Not that it matters, the SEC tends to beat the brakes off of whoever they play in the playoffs. An expanded field probably means a few more losses on the way to the SEC winning again, Dave for the occasional Ohio St, hopefully USC winning one, etc…

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Many of the portals make no sense, not just USC but nationwide. I wonder how many are just testing the waters and will be back if Alabama does not call

gubo&palanka

Sep 23, 2017
At least Miller Moss is still on the roster in case Caleb goes elsewhere!

Would be funny if he blossoms under CLR.

My thought is CW comes to USC because if he and Mario are a package deal, why is one visiting ucla and the other texass? Should be making visits together, non?

Last edited:

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
My thought is CW comes to USC because if he and Mario are a package deal, why is one visiting ucla and the other texass?

Mario mentioned a preference for CW as his QB….but all “package” speculation beyond that is just fan talk. Each guy has to do his DD, life happens. I don’t think there’s been any other direct quotes from either on the subject.

College kids can change their minds every other day.

TrojanMoondoggie

Aug 24, 2017
"If he's smart, capable, hard-working, has solid values, his degree could be from dipshitU and he'll end up being successful."

This should be a given, barring any unforeseen and/or unfortunate circumstances. And you'd like to think that this is the case for most people.

In this day and age though, with that sense of entitlement that so many young people have (and the enabling that often goes along with it), this is a big "if" for a lot of kids nowadays.

Unfortunately there are those athletes who get used to being idolized and taken care of so much, that when it comes time to do it on their own, they find they didn't use their smarts, and suddenly, here they are at 38, a has been, and not as much money in the bank as they should have.

And with the mindset of so many of today's youth, I fear this may be even more of a prevalent problem in years to come than it has in the past.

Alkebulan7

Aug 24, 2017
"If he's like most football players and majors in Sociology, etc..." Surprise you just didn't say "if he's like most of them people". Anyway, it goes without saying, whether you're a student-athlete or not, working hard, making smart decisions, possessing good values, most likely will lead to successful results. No eureka moment there.

High profile athletes aren't the only folks that have a "leg up" when it comes to connections in the business world or even gaining admission to such a fine university as the University of Southern California. I think we all witnessed this reality from USC's most recent admission scandal where folks were pretending that their children were athletes and fraudulently buying their way into the school.

Former football players such as Dr. Myron Rolle (neurosurgeon), Dr. Chris Hutchinson (MD), Jason Wright (Washington Football Team President), etc. would be offended by the not so subtle insinuation that "most football players" major in Sociology, etc, the implication being such majors are less challenging.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pudly76

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
"If he's like most football players and majors in Sociology, etc..." Surprise you just didn't say "if he's like most of them people". Anyway, it goes without saying, whether you're a student-athlete or not, working hard, making smart decisions, possessing good values, most likely will lead to successful results. No eureka moment there.

High profile athletes aren't the only folks that have a "leg up" when it comes to connections in the business world or even gaining admission to such a fine university as the University of Southern California. I think we all witnessed this reality from USC's most recent admission scandal where folks were pretending that their children were athletes and fraudulently buying their way into the school.

Former football players such as Dr. Myron Rolle (neurosurgeon), Dr. Chris Hutchinson (MD), Jason Wright (Washington Football Team President), etc. would be offended by the not so subtle insinuation that "most football players" major in Sociology, etc, the implication being such majors are less challenging.
Don't hurt yourself on the way off your soapbox

gubo&palanka

Sep 23, 2017
I do thin' (as Ricky Ricardo used to say) Miller Moss is more than capable of running this dynamic offense with M. Will, CJ Will, Bryant, Washington, Epps, Mcree, Raleek, Barlow and Campbell, etc.

Will be fun to watch.

Moss played poker and stayed on 14. And he might be the big winner.

Reactions: DaFireMedic