Possible Helton Replacements

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Who came up with that list? Half those names would have me jump off a cliff.

Fickell should be the number one choice.
I agree on Fickell and USC should focus on proven college head coaches, though doesn’t hurt to talk to Brady. USC dropped the ball on Urban.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
1. Fickell
2. Campbell
3. Petersen

Fickell coached under 2 championship coaches in Tressel and Urban at Ohio State and played there. He knows what a big-time program looks like and what it takes.

HOFFA

Sep 2, 2017
1. Fickell
2. Campbell
3. Petersen

Fickell coached under 2 championship coaches in Tressel and Urban at Ohio State and played there. He knows what a big-time program looks like.

Fickell is born, raised and coached his entire life in Ohio. He seems like a small town conservative type of guy to me.

I understand why people are connecting him to this job, but I'm not sure if he's the guy for this job in Los Angeles.

tjfan001

Aug 24, 2017
Agree! He has been in Iowa for too long and hasn't achieved anything major.

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I am hoping Urban decides quickly that NFL is not for him, and wants the challenge of being the first HC to win NC in 3 different schools.

If that doesn’t happen I hope Pete Carroll decides he needs a different challenge. To prove he can do it again. Yeah , I know this is not happening.

of those listed Schiano is not a possibility. He has the stink of Sandusky on him which has already cost him another college HC job but he could be DC if Urban comes.

Reactions: Kaptain Karl

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Bohn obviously has the biggest “in” with Fickell, just depends on Fickell’s ambitions and Cali pros/cons.
Couldn’t argue with that hire….even if it failed to result in nat’l. championship football, it would be the right choice at this time.

Obviously Urban would be explosive news on several levels….would take an historic, never-happened-before, jaw-dropping flip flop that came out of nowhere. So, there’s a chance, lol?

Campbell would be interesting. Nay on the rest, for me.

Reactions: CSC96

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Bohn supposedly was talking to Bob Stoops in 2019. I hope Bohn doesn’t go down this road. Great career record, 1 National Championship 20 years ago. But Stoops is 61 years old and left Oklahoma after 2016. Record is comparable to Urban’s, but something is lacking with “Big Game Bob”. Many would say (including me) that at least Stoops is an improvement over Helton. But USC needs to aim higher than that standard.

ILOVEFOOTBALL

Aug 30, 2021
Bohn supposedly was talking to Bob Stoops in 2019. I hope Bohn doesn’t go down this road. Great career record, 1 National Championship 20 years ago. But Stoops is 61 years old and left Oklahoma after 2016. Record is comparable to Urban’s, but something is lacking with “Big Game Bob”. Many would say (including me) that at least Stoops is an improvement over Helton. But USC needs to aim higher than that standard.
How about Kyle Willingham

sc85sis

Aug 24, 2017
Napier is interesting. He coached under Saban for 5 years. Primarily coached in the south though.
He also coached under Bowden and Swinney. He's said to be detail-oriented and someone who always has a plan. He's had success at Louisiana. Hard to say if that would translate to USC. But I think he'd at least be worth a look.

Reactions: LDIABootney

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Bohn says he’s going to do a nationwide search, so he should talk to Napier and Chadwell.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Another name that gets mentioned for HC jobs is Clemson DC Brent Venables. He seems content to be a highly-paid DC and he’s good at that.

BESCFAN

Aug 24, 2017
Franklin? Hell no
Schiano No

I'm thinking Bohn has Fickell lined up to fire Helton after weak 2. I'd take Cristobal in a heartbeat. Surprised Miami has not pursued Cristobal considering he grew up there and won 2 NCs as an OL there. Only a matter of time before Miami offers him the world.

Latest posts