Possible Helton Replacements

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
Keen Fickell is my number 1 choice after Urban Meyer. His ceiling is Urban Meyer his floor is Brian Kelly he is a can’t miss prospect.

Unfortunately he’s kinda a hillbilly like me he likes the country and space. Cincinnati has a population of 309,317. Moving to LA county with a population of almost 10 million may not appease him. I’m leaving California soon myself for the same reason so I get it.
I’m from LA and live in Cincy and I don’t even want to move home, so I get it.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Unfortunately he’s kinda a hillbilly like me he likes the country and space. Cincinnati has a population of 309,317. Moving to LA county with a population of almost 10 million may not appease him. I’m leaving California soon myself for the same reason so I get it.
I’m hoping that the right salary and the possibility of competing at the highest level will persuade him to come out west, even if he chooses to live in the hills on the outskirts somewhere.

Reactions: Cardinal&Gold

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Someone mentioned Bob Stoops had a home on Lakeshore Drive (he had two next door to each other, sold one here). He may think he wants to coach again, but he seems very retired to me. USC isn’t the XFL.

Aug 24, 2017
I'd be shocked if Fickell departs the state of Ohio to coach SC, having little to no CA ties. After checking out things about him on a small scale forensic level, seeing that his eldest son is on the Cinci roster currently, his fam being a part of the catholic church community in OH seemingly devoutly, and last, 4 additional children with established social lives, I just don't see Fickell changing that lifestyle for So Cal-- for himself and more so his family. I can definitely see the family vote being 1-6, 2-5 tops.

It feels as if he's patiently waiting to perhaps become the next OSU or ND coach.

Hope I'm wrong, as he's a definite top 5 option.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
These threads are fun and I've heard a few interesting names I wasn't thinking of myself before but, no offense intended, I think it's a darn good thing no one on this board is heading the search. :) We seem to prejudge nearly everyone worthy of consideration as "He's won't come because 'X'".

The proper way (and how I'm confident it is being done) is for HH to compile its own list of worthy candidates, stack-rank them to derive an evolving short-list, then start working your way through the list top-to-bottom until you get some green lights. If anyone truly isn't interested, they'll certainly make that know soon enough.

As always, "If you don't ask, you don't get." Beside any head start Bohn may have already made, thankfully HH comfortably has at least a couple of months to do this right and get this right.

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
My biggest reason for Fickell not coming to UC is moving to a P5 conf next year.
Now he can put a program he’s turned into a top 15 team, up against the big boys…IOW, he doesn’t have to leave to see how good he is.
I don't think Cinci will be joining the Big 12 prior to July 1, 2023.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Luke Fickell 4-5 against Top 25 since 2018.
I don’t put too much stock in stats like this unless they are coaching at a major football school where they are expected to play with and beat Top 25 teams.

Coaching at Cincinnati, that’s actually a pretty respectable record against the Top 25, considering that Cincinnati is rarely ranked (until Fickell got them ranked), they were probably significant underdogs in most if not all of these, and Fickell had to build up from the 4-8 team that he took over.

The team appears to get better each year, so I’m looking to see how well he does this year against ranked teams.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020

Latest posts