Potential Dire Head Coach Scenario

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
Some just think that if USC snaps their fingers that Head Coaches will drop everything and come running. But that may not be the case currently. What happens if.......

Meyer says I need another year in the NFL?

Fickell leads his team to the CFP and says I can stay at home and have success?

Franklin gets a nice raise and stays in Pennsylvania?

Campbell says I'm a Midwest kind of guy, L.A. isn't for me?

Cristobal says I already run the Pac-12 why leave and he gets a raise to stay put?

Stoops & Petersen both decide that TV is great for both of them and they say no?

Bieniemy finally gets an NFL offer and takes it?

Fleck and Minnesota fall apart this year?

Who are the alternatives? Are those satisfactory?

By the way, I didn't include Donte or Deion as they're both not realistic. Nor is Matt Rhule.

Does Bohn still look for a championship HC like say Texas A&M did with Fisher? Who by the way lost to an Arkansas team with a 2nd year HC who didn't have HC experience nor Coordinator at a 4 year college. Yet has Arkansas undefeated and perhaps in the top 10 this upcoming poll.

Does Bohn go after O'Brien? Or does he go after another current HC like Jeff Hafley? Or does he go for a former NFL coach?

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Some just think that if USC snaps their fingers that Head Coaches will drop everything and come running. But that may not be the case currently. What happens if.......

Cristobal says I already run the Pac-12 why leave and he gets a raise to stay put?

Stoops & Petersen both decide that TV is great for both of them and they say no?

By the way, I didn't include Donte or Deion as they're both not realistic. Nor is Matt Rhule.

Does Bohn still look for a championship HC like say Texas A&M did with Fisher? Who by the way lost to an Arkansas team with a 2nd year HC who didn't have HC experience nor Coordinator at a 4 year college. Yet has Arkansas undefeated and perhaps in the top 10 this upcoming poll.

Does Bohn go after O'Brien? Or does he go after another current HC like Jeff Hafley? Or does he go for a former NFL coach?
We have to take that when it comes. Start at the top and if he says no and it’s clear he means it, move on to the next guy on the list.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
This is all plausible. We could go from the catbird’s seat of choices to relatively little choice 🥵

USC92

Sep 10, 2017
Hafley seems like a winner so far. If he can’t get a top guy, go for whoever takes the next step this year later on in the season. Seems like they have time to sort through the current top choices and still have time to grab someone as a plan B, C, etc at the end of the year depending on how things shake out.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017

That has always been my fear. I dread December and who Bohn is going to announce because no matter who it is, heads are going to explode.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021

If the steer picking Sark as the head coach is any indicator fml

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Aug 24, 2017
Smith's resume at OSU is thin, but in now his 4th year, he is doing a great job. He beats more talented teams, and we could do a lot worse.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018

I posted this on TOS last night:

-----------------------------------

I think that you can't evaluate candidates more or less in a vacuum without examining the current conditions and having a success plan. You have to have a plan in mind and then pick the guy that can help bolster/refine the plan and then execute the plan.

First things first--you must make an immediate impact with recruiting . You cannot wait several years for Midwest no-names to establish credibility with West Coast kids. Any lack of urgency here, and you will allow Oregon to run the scene for many years to come. Whomever you bring in must deliver an immediate impact with recruiting. I believe that this eliminates both Fickell and Campbell.

What are the ways to make that immediate recruiting impact? 1) Hire one of the top HCs in college football (duh!). 2) Hire a successful HC with a hug personality who's known across the country and has a good story to tell. 3) Hire an NFL name.

What are USC's chances of hiring Saban, Sweeney, and Meyer? I'd say they are next-to-nil. I don't think you are going to get Riley either. A guy like a Franklin might be able to make an impact, but he has his own issues, which leads me to another point about the current conditions....

There's no getting around the fact that USC is a higher-echelon academic institution that's wedged in the middle of liberal Los Angeles. Guys with past character issues (especially as it relates to women and abuse) just aren't acceptable candidates. It can't possibly work out. Football is not bigger than the school. This is the issue with Urban Meyer, and it's probably an issue with James Franklin.

Like I said in the other thread, I feel that an NFL pedigree is a recruiting trump card that we should be able to play against Oregon and have it be a recruiting game-changer. It won't matter that this coach is not from or familiar with L.A. or the West Coast. The "NFL" calling card immediately captures attention. You pair up such a candidate with a Donte Williams, and away you go in terms of restoring the talent drain from CA. Again, speaking of Donte, why in the world would he stay and be an understudy to a Campbell or a Fickell? I don't believe that's such a great motivation. He would, however, stay under an NFL guy. That works both from a coaching-development perspective as well as from an optics perspective for Donte.

The added advantage of an NFL guy is that his instant credibility will get attention and respect from assistants across the country from both the pro and college ranks.

These are the reasons why O'brien is still my guy. If he can get a Marrone, an Orgeron, etc. to come work for him, all the more that we will be immediately back in business with talent acquisition.

Lastly, there's still the matter of USC needing the star power to put butts in seats in Los Angeles.

Reactions: LDIABootney

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017

I think that you can't evaluate candidates more or less in a vacuum without examining the current conditions and having a success plan. You have to have a plan in mind and then pick the guy that can help bolster/refine the plan and then execute the plan.

First things first--you must make an immediate impact with recruiting . You cannot wait several years for Midwest no-names to establish credibility with West Coast kids. Any lack of urgency here, and you will allow Oregon to run the scene for many years to come. Whomever you bring in must deliver an immediate impact with recruiting. I believe that this eliminates both Fickell and Campbell.

What are the ways to make that immediate recruiting impact? 1) Hire one of the top HCs in college football (duh!). 2) Hire a successful HC with a hug personality who's known across the country and has a good story to tell. 3) Hire an NFL name.

What are USC's chances of hiring Saban, Sweeney, and Meyer? I'd say they are next-to-nil. I don't think you are going to get Riley either. A guy like a Franklin might be able to make an impact, but he has his own issues, which leads me to another point about the current conditions....

There's no getting around the fact that USC is a higher-echelon academic institution that's wedged in the middle of liberal Los Angeles. Guys with past character issues (especially as it relates to women and abuse) just aren't acceptable candidates. It can't possibly work out. Football is not bigger than the school. This is the issue with Urban Meyer, and it's probably an issue with James Franklin.

Like I said in the other thread, I feel that an NFL pedigree is a recruiting trump card that we should be able to play against Oregon and have it be a recruiting game-changer. It won't matter that this coach is not from or familiar with L.A. or the West Coast. The "NFL" calling card immediately captures attention. You pair up such a candidate with a Donte Williams, and away you go in terms of restoring the talent drain from CA. Again, speaking of Donte, why in the world would he stay and be an understudy to a Campbell or a Fickell? I don't believe that's such a great motivation. He would, however, stay under an NFL guy. That works both from a coaching-development perspective as well as from an optics perspective for Donte.

The added advantage of an NFL guy is that his instant credibility will get attention and respect from assistants across the country from both the pro and college ranks.

These are the reasons why O'brien is still my guy. If he can get a Marrone, an Orgeron, etc. to come work for him, all the more that we will be immediately back in business with talent acquisition.

Lastly, there's still the matter of USC needing the star power to put butts in seats in Los Angeles.
Bill O'Brien won't be available until after January 10. That's a bit late to make any recruiting impact at all. Bill might work long term, but I doubt he holds much juice in LA without results which don't appear to be on the near term horizon.

Bohn needs to figure out how to hire Urban Meyer or convince Chris Peterson if we want any type of quick turnaround. Everything else is a 3 year rebuild.

TMBDave

Mar 15, 2019

And supposedly, there is still Jack Del Rio, who does not get a lot of discussion in these threads. But I think he may be the kind of person who would enjoy success and would be somebody folks young and old could rally around. But then again, I am also a fan of Kyle Whittingham and would have him higher on my list than some of the folks listed in the beginning of this thread.

Reactions: Redskins Rick

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020

O’Brien is in my Top 5. Mel Tucker is 4-0 and Top 25. Maybe Lincoln Riley doesn’t fancy going to the SEC. Joe Brady. Tom Herman if no one else is available. If not him, Jonathan Smith who dominated USC with only 7 4-star recruits (USC has 46 5 and 4-star recruits).

Reactions: LDIABootney

RONIN.usc

Dec 6, 2018
Jonathan Smith or Kalani Sitake or O’Brien.
O’Brien can take the job sooner than January and still coach Alabama’s Offense like Sark did when hired by Texas.
Smith’s beating of us was masterful.
And he has been able to convince highly regarded transfers to come to freakin Corvallis of all places.
Smith would return or QB under center mostly and Power run downhill like he did last night. He would have us back to contention by year 3.

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017

What do you consider a reasonable "NFL guy"?
I would give a hard pass on guys like Adam Gase and Matt Nagy.
Does Bill O'Brien fit that mold? His offenses have been good. But, he really didn't do **** at Penn State (did sanctions factor into it?) And as a "GM" in Houston he failed miserably. He'd be a de facto GM as USC's HC.

And I don't see a negative to CDW coaching under Fickell or Campbell. They've both been HC's for a while and CDW hasn't even been a DC yet. Maybe CDW stays as DB/AHC, then gets promoted to DC after a few years.

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
Jonathan Smith or Kalani Sitake or O’Brien.
O’Brien can take the job sooner than January and still coach Alabama’s Offense like Sark did when hired by Texas.
Smith’s beating of us was masterful.
And he has been able to convince highly regarded transfers to come to freakin Corvallis of all places.
Smith would return or QB under center mostly and Power run downhill like he did last night. He would have us back to contention by year 3.
Jonathan Smith may be a coach on the rise, but hiring a guy with a 12-23 HC record has zero sex appeal.

Reactions: Redskins Rick

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
Jonathan Smith Oregon State, does more with less, a lot less: 45-27 never forget
There are no guarantees that a coach who does more with less will do more with more. Big risk if you go in that direction. Bohn’s priority should be getting a coach who has had success on the big stage.

PAVAROTTI

Jan 19, 2019

Hire the Arkansas head coach. Cowherd said the weather is better in LA. I’m sure he would leave for better weather in LA. Who wants to live in Arkansas.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Jonathan Smith may be a coach on the rise, but hiring a guy with a 12-23 HC record has zero sex appeal.

It takes great vision to spot a true gem, but maybe in Jonathan Smith...

TMBDave

Mar 15, 2019

And supposedly, there is still Jack Del Rio, who does not get a lot of discussion in these threads. But I think he may be the kind of person who would enjoy success and would be somebody folks young and old could rally around. But then again, I am also a fan of Kyle Wittingham and

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
What do you consider a reasonable "NFL guy"?
I would give a hard pass on guys like Adam Gase and Matt Nagy.
Does Bill O'Brien fit that mold? His offenses have been good. But, he really didn't do **** at Penn State (did sanctions factor into it?) And as a "GM" in Houston he failed miserably. He'd be a de facto GM as USC's HC.

And I don't see a negative to CDW coaching under Fickell or Campbell. They've both been HC's for a while and CDW hasn't even been a DC yet. Maybe CDW stays as DB/AHC, then gets promoted to DC after a few years.

O'brien's my guy. Penn State got doc'd 30 schollies, and BOB had to recruit boys into a pedophile's nest. He did an admirable job of holding that ship together.

His failings while cutting his teeth as a GM in Houston don't bother me. He won't manage an NFL salary cap and trade players at USC.

I can see it now...every time Donte gets a 5-star recruit on the phone, he just hands it to the Big Boss, who in turn just utters three simple words:

Brady - Watson - Belichick

Touchdown!

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
I have a feeling that Bohn already knows who he wants and may have an indication of their interest. Bohn seems to be making calculated decisions and actions.

He covered all of the excuses Helton had about staffing and support, by bringing in the recruiting staff and opening up the checkbook to hire new assistant coaches, which future prospective coaches could have used questioned USC's commitment to the program. It is now clear for all, with exception to conquest4ever81, that Helton was the problem and USC is going to support the program.

Bohn named an inexperienced position coach the Interim-Head Coach, when he could have named one of the coordinators. He clearly wants to retain CDW and has little faith in coordinators. Message to the next head coach: Go ahead and get rid of the coordinators, but keep CDW.

Bohn had an entire offseason to think about what he was going to do, and the Stanford game was the excuse he needed to put it in action.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017

Now the flip side to hiring a NFL coach without college head coaching experience. Besides the obvious, in the NFL, a head coach is a head coach. Everything is done for him. He has a front office. He has a GM. He has a Director of Player Personnel. He pretty much has everything at his disposal so all he needs to do is coach. That doesn't happen at the college level. Sure, the HC has some of those amenities but he still needs to go into living rooms and he still has administrative duties that he doesn't have in the pros and at the end of the day, he's still dealing with a lot of teenagers who have no concept of what it's like to come to work everyday. You simply can't transplant an NFL coach into that environment and wait for the magic to happen. And as far as star power, that's complete and utter ********. What it takes to put butts in seats in Los Angeles is to win. There isn't a guy more droll than Chris Petersen but I guarantee you that if he took the job and won, nobody would care if he was a mute.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Now the flip side to hiring a NFL coach without college head coaching experience. Besides the obvious, in the NFL, a head coach is a head coach. Everything is done for him. He has a front office. He has a GM. He has a Director of Player Personnel. He pretty much has everything at his disposal so all he needs to do is coach. That doesn't happen at the college level. Sure, the HC has some of those amenities but he still needs to go into living rooms and he still has administrative duties that he doesn't have in the pros and at the end of the day, he's still dealing with a lot of teenagers who have no concept of what it's like to come to work everyday. You simply can't transplant an NFL coach into that environment and wait for the magic to happen. And as far as star power, that's complete and utter ********. What it takes to put butts in seats in Los Angeles is to win. There isn't a guy more droll than Chris Petersen but I guarantee you that if he took the job and won, nobody would care if he was a mute.
O'Brien has in fact HC'd in college, and he's OC'ing at Bama right now.

IndianaJoe

Sep 19, 2021
I'm ok with O'Brien and think he is more likely to come than most. But I think Bohn could sell Petersen on taking the job. He got his UW team to the playoffs but has never won one. He looked at the job before but knew he could not work with the system that was in place at that time. He is a hard nose coach but can still relate to players and develop a culture of accountability. He could likely bring along his old offensive line coach (from Boise and UW) to instill toughness. Heck, in a year when Lake fails completely as HC, he might be able to bring him along as DC. In interim, train Donte to be future HC in waiting. Since he is not currently coaching, he would be available for all the recruits to come for second official visit. He and OL coach also may still have some sway in WA where several top OL are still not committed