Question 2 of the day- Has Cael ever commented on PSU wrestling facilities?

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Just curious if anyone has asked or if Cael has ever commented on state of PSU wrestling facilities? I know they have a fairly new practice facility. Any sense if Cael is satisfied with Rec Hall arrangement (sure appears to be enthusiastic crowds and they sell out each match!) and once a year in the bigger PSU facility? I believe I am right in saying Iowa wrestles in a much bigger facility (carver Hall?). With PSU being the top program we sure deserve top facilities but again perhaps Cael is satisfied with current situation-I sure do not know. Thanks.

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
I'm not sure he has commented ... I believe he has ... but think he likes Rec Hall as the primary venue for holding duals.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Just curious if anyone has asked or if Cael has ever commented on state of PSU wrestling facilities? I know they have a fairly new practice facility. Any sense if Cael is satisfied with Rec Hall arrangement (sure appears to be enthusiastic crowds and they sell out each match!) and once a year in the bigger PSU facility? I believe I am right in saying Iowa wrestles in a much bigger facility (carver Hall?). With PSU being the top program we sure deserve top facilities but again perhaps Cael is satisfied with current situation-I sure do not know. Thanks.

You're asking about CS. He's pretty private, and doesn't offer much public insight into his thoughts.

Reports are that former trustee Ira Lubert (a huge wrestling fan and supporter) has been trying to line up support, as well as convince CS, that a standalone wrestling facility at PSU (or mostly standalone; could be shared with other teams, like Iowa's Carver-Hawkeye Arena) is what they need. Rumors/reports are that CS likes the location of Rec Hall, as well as the home mat advantage it gives PSU's wrestling team, and is concerned that the program would lose that in a new facility, and also concerned about filling a much larger facility for mid-week and not elite opponents.

CS seems to gets asked a bit about some of these issues before and after the match that is held each season at the BJC. But in true CS fashion, you don't get a lot of strong feelings in either direction in his answers.

Reactions: Kevin310 and LB99

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
It would have been nice if Penn State had a big donor back in the 90s to expand Rec Hall like Oklahoma State did with Gallagher-Iba.

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
I assume that moving a major wrestling event like Iowa to Hershey is a non-starter?

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Still several K less than BJC.

But a few K more than half. The only way hosting a home meet at Hershey would make any sense be if it were a lesser opponent during the winter break. Perhaps F&M. Even then I think it wouldn’t make much sense for us unless it was a two/three for one deal and F & M could opt to try and use the Giant Center for their home dual.

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
But a few K more than half. The only way hosting a home meet at Hershey would make any sense be if it were a lesser opponent during the winter break. Perhaps F&M. Even then I think it wouldn’t make much sense for us unless it was a two/three for one deal and F & M could opt to try and use the Giant Center for their home dual.
The only way going to Hershey makes sense is if some other team is the host and it is an away meet or part of a tournament.

Latest posts