RB Travis Dye is one of the best get in this '22 class.

Trojan-Seij

Sep 13, 2021
Looks like we got a leader and a player. The duckies are very upset him leaving. This should be one of best get in this class of 2022 besides the QB. We got an instant contributor and a veteran on a very inexperienced and unproductive group since Rojo left.

IMG_20220122_072526.jpg

jpsocal65

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah this is a big get, not only because of his skills as a runner but his excellent ball skills as a receiver out of the backfield. Riley’s offense utilizes multiple screen packages and 3rd option dump offs to the back on 3rd and medium. Would love to see some long drives and finishes in the end zone consistently from this group.

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
I don't see him as a physical/talent contributor as much as a mental one. If he can instill his "hard hat" attitude to our running back corps then we're way ahead of the game. I hope he proves me wrong and tears it up for big yards though.

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
Disagree on your talent assessment. He will thrive LR's offense
He has vision, toughness and good hands but the guy is like 5'10"/ 190 lbs and isn't very fast. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him starting.

Reactions: 4heisman

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
Might want to watch his tape and games before saying this...
Do highlights count because I've seen a few of those. I also caught a couple of quack games but I don't remember which ones. Dye is hard to miss because of that stash of his. My impression during those games was the same, good but small.

mvpreed2

Aug 24, 2017
This is now the 5th PAC-12 transfer to come to USC?
My take is similar (somewhat) to @Who's High Pitch? in that most of these PAC-12 players probably wanted to come to USC out of HS.
I always wondered what USC could have been with Oregon's impact players.
About 40% of their impact players probably would have been at USC if things were trending upward.
Thibodeaux/Sewell (2)/Flowe/Lenoir/Graham...and these are just the ones on defense!

What's the point?
The point is the PAC-11 absolutely LOVES when USC is down because they get to come in to Los Angeles and snatch players that I am sure would have ended up at USC if CPC was still here.
Welcome to USC Travis!
I am sure I can speak for the remainder of the USC faithful when I say we are glad to have you on board!
Fight On!

SC93er

Aug 24, 2017
From what I saw, Dye has good burst and decent cutback but will get run down from behind.

He averaged 6.0 yds/carry last year, 6.9 in 2020, and 6.2 in 2019. That will more than get the job done. Also gotta like his ball security...zero fumbles in four years.

Dye will get his fair share of chunk runs, but don’t expect many long, open field sprints to the end zone.

Last edited:

WillingToConquest

Sep 9, 2019
Disagree on your talent assessment. He will thrive LR's offense
Yep- I concur w/ 23Blast's take on Oregon transfer Travis Dye.

1,673 combined yards with 18 TDs in 2021 more than validate this young man's talent. The fact that he wants to culminate his college career playing in front of his [Norco based] family makes this acquisition a 5-star get!

Welcome to Troy, Travis! We are thrilled to have you in Cardinal + Gold and Fight On!!!

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
From what I saw, Dye has good burst and decent cutback but will get run down from behind.

He averaged 6.0 yds/carry last year, 6.9 in 2020, and 6.2 in 2019. That will more than get the job done. Also gotta like his ball security...zero fumbles in four years.

Dye will get his fair share of chunk runs, but don’t expect many long, open field sprints to the end zone.
Dye is going to be deadly, along side Raleek. And he's really tough inside the lines. Expect a lot of scoring from him long or short runs - his mission will be to prove that narrative wrong in 2022.

Reactions: Cbomb and 3rd Slide

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017

Yeah, I mean he has football skills for sure but I don't see what some people are excited about. This will be his 5th year and he stated that he's moving south to be with his fiance, baby and family. If he had an option to go to the league wouldn't that be his choice?

Last edited:

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
I don't see what some people are excited about.
Are you kidding? With the too-short exception of Keontay Ingram, the RB position at USC has been in the doldrums for a decade. No defense we opposed respected that position group. Yes, some of it was the scheme, but the talent was so lacking, running the ball or even trying to pressure a defense in space with the backs we had was going to be futile with any style or OL. It made USC one-dimensional and highly predictable. Guys like Dye change everything and that's why Riley is loading up with RB's who force teams to defend the entire field.

ICEnEC

Aug 27, 2017
It's good to see not every quacker is a delusional rambling mess when things don't go there way. Very refreshing. On the player side, I remember seeing Dye in a few different games and while not being overly impressed by the initial sight of him, the guy was making plays. A run here, a catch there, getting extra yards and finding the end zone. A guy with is experience is the perfect fit to bridge this year, with the new kids coming in and getting their feet wet. This is a terrific pick up for us. ✌️✌️✌️

Reactions: TrojanBob

mickhooligan

Aug 27, 2017
He has vision, toughness and good hands but the guy is like 5'10"/ 190 lbs and isn't very fast. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him starting.
Not sure how fast he is, but his longest run from scrimmage was 53 yards. That would tie him with Ingram for longest run this year. Didn’t hear complaints about Ingram’s lack of speed.

Reactions: 3rd Slide

mickhooligan

Aug 27, 2017
Yeah, I mean he has football skills for sure but I don't see what some people are excited about. This will be his 5th year and he stated that he's moving south to be with his fiance, baby and family. If he had an option to go to the league wouldn't that be his choice?
Did Leinart make the same choice?

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
Are you kidding? With the too-short exception of Keontay Ingram, the RB position at USC has been in the doldrums for a decade. No defense we opposed respected that position group. Yes, some of it was the scheme, but the talent was so lacking, running the ball or even trying to pressure a defense in space with the backs we had was going to be futile with any style or OL. It made USC one-dimensional and highly predictable. Guys like Dye change everything and that's why Riley is loading up with RB's who force teams to defend the entire field.
A decade? Have you already forgotten about Ronald Jones, Markese Stepp and Stephen Carr? Not "some of it was scheme" but ALL of it was scheme. We ended up with our last roster because of it. I'm glad that Dye is at SC but I'm really excited to see what all the backs can do now especially the bigger, stronger, faster ones.

Last edited:

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017

This again?

Did you not watch Oregon at all? Dye was the one who led their running game, gaining twice as much as the next guy (QB Brown), and who consistently made a difference to kept them in the game. He gained 3 X what the next RB did. (1271 vs. 417)

2021 Oregon Ducks Rushing through 01/10/2022​

He's a really solid pickup and should challenge to start.

In any case, if he stays healthy and motivated, he'll flourish in Riley's O and will be a solid contributor @ USC.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Dye is a little hot rod darting in and out, great speed, maneuvers on the turns, quick cuts, and can run between the tackles. A pleasure to watch play 🏈👍🏻😊

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
This again?

Did you not watch Oregon at all? Dye was the one who led their running game, gaining twice as much as the next guy (QB Brown), and who consistently made a difference to kept them in the game. He gained 3 X what the next RB did. (1271 vs. 417)

2021 Oregon Ducks Rushing through 01/10/2022​

He's a really solid pickup and should challenge to start.

In any case, if he stays healthy and motivated, he'll flourish in Riley's O and will be a solid contributor @ USC.
Was Dye the original starter at Oregon or did he get the job after injury to the starter? (real question)

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Was Dye the original starter at Oregon or did he get the job after injury to the starter? (real question)

IDK, but WTF does that have to do with his actual production? Nothing.

When the bell sounded, he answered the call. There's no debating this.

Reactions: SGVFlip

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
IDK, but WTF does that have to do with his actual production? Nothing.

When the bell sounded, he answered the call. There's no debating this.
He did indeed I'm just more excited about the new scheme and what bigger, stronger, faster guys can do in it.

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
A decade? Have you already forgotten about Ronald Jones, Markese Stepp and Stephen Carr? Not "some of it was scheme" but ALL of it was scheme. We ended up with our last roster because of it. I'm glad that Dye is at SC but I'm really excited to see what all the backs can do now especially the bigger, stronger, faster ones.
Well, you listing Stepp and Carr in the same sentence as Ronald Jones only tells me how far apart we are in RB evaluation. I guess we're just seeing it different...

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
Well, you listing Stepp and Carr in the same sentence as Ronald Jones only tells me how far apart we are in RB evaluation. I guess we're just seeing it different...
So same sentence means equal talent? Wasn't Jones at SC '15-'17? Let me see.... (taking my shoes off to count) Yeah, that's less than a decade ago.

mickhooligan

Aug 27, 2017
That's interesting. I wonder what his draft projections were. Do you have any info to share?
No I don’t. But you take a look at some of the rbs on teams rosters. If Rex Burkehead can play in the NFL, then Dye absolutely can.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
If you can't be excited about 3,000 yards of production. I don't know what to tell you - sound like a hater to be honest.

Latest posts