Realistic Expectations for the Remainder of the Season

Shrapper

Aug 30, 2021
While I’m grateful one of the main cancers has been cleanly cut away, the damage has already been done. Based on what we‘ve all seen in the last two games, that damage runs deep. Is the patient healthy enough to survive? How quickly can he recover?

Can a new interim coach fix the wretched offense in a few practices? In a few weeks? In a few months? Everything looks bad: the plays, the players (preparation), the mentality, the morale, the discipline…

Does he bench Slovis if he struggles against Oregon St? I know a lot of people probably won’t like hearing that, but it’s a reasonable and legitimate question, and hopefully Donte doesn’t feel beholden to players like Clay did to his detriment. Does he bench Graham Harrell as well? I would, especially if there are no improvements. What does he have to lose at that point?

I personally believe they will continue to struggle. Hopefully I’m wrong.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
It's going to take at least a year or two to change USC's culture into a consistent program. Though how fast that happens, will depend on the support the new Head Coach gets and who they are, as a football mind. But in the interim? I don't know if there's much Donte can do, other than try to change the attitude and general structure/tone of practices, week by week. Still bad habits built under Hugs will remain, I'm sure.

Too much of his mindset and ism's have no doubt rubbed off on the players, when it comes to playing the game. It will be jarring.

Last edited:
Reactions: August West

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
We have weaknesses everywhere. We don’t have the talent and the coaches have not developed who we have. Something is off with Slovis. I don’t know what but there seems to be multiple issues. Washington St and the rain should present enough of a challenge to see what realistic hopes there are for the rest of the season but at this point I doubt we Win more than five more games.

FightonOC

Nov 5, 2017
3 Years....LOL. Nope We have the guys now. I get that you want to give the coach 3 years but the GREAT coaches make it happen almost immediately. I am probably in the minority to be around for the first Carroll year. I think we opened 2-5? Ended 6-5 or 5-6. Doesn't matter because by the 3rd game those guys were playing some decent football. As long as we see some progress I am good with 3 years but do not mistake the Carrol era...the impact was almost immediate.

FFO

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Immediate is unrealistic. Improvement in year two despite the record is key. Year three would be the year we’d need some payoff. I don’t think CP is being unrealistic there.
The new college free-agency could alter the equation substantially. Transfers can step right in and star.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
A complete mystery but at least I can end my strike and watch the games. Who knows someday I may buy tickets again.

I do know that IMHO the schedule is incredibly soft. You should beat OS, Arizona, Colorado, Washington State, Utah,

BYU, ND , UCLA, ASU are real games if you split these that’s a win.

So I predict 9-3 and the Chatter of make Williams the permanent HC starts and Mike Bohn is on the clock. You do know he’s botched 3 of his 4 HC hired 3 at Colorado and got the Luke Fickell one right. That makes me nervous. The safest bet is for Bohn to hire someone fast before Williams wins 9 games and that may stop the debate in it tracks but it’s his career. Even if he does go undefeated that doesn’t mean he can continue it. Clay Helton won 10 games and Rose Bowl before he $-it the bed.

I know one thing the entire PAC 12 smells blood in the water and they will all be coming in each and every game. Shoot even the sorry Arizona my come in feeling froggy.🐸

I think Williams has to Beat ND, BYU, UCLA and ASU to have a real shot. Losing to half or all of these guys will prove he can’t beat the better teams just like Clay Helton. Because I think Clay Helton would have also finished 9-3 so what has really changed?

BTW 9-3 is based on the Assumption they play better than the first 2 games. Otherwise 5-7

Last edited:
Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

FightonOC

Nov 5, 2017
Immediate is unrealistic. Improvement in year two despite the record is key. Year three would be the year we’d need some payoff. I don’t think CP is being unrealistic there.
You do realize my definition of IMPACT was the play of the team. They went 6-5 (5-6?) but they played some football and you could see that there was something different. I thought I was clear but maybe not...I want to see something different that makes my beleive USC is truly FIGHTING ON. I haven't seen it for years. But if you want to split hairs...your are right I am not expecting CFP this year and I am a bit curious as to why you think my comment made you believe that was the case.

FFO

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Pete Carroll turned USC around in one year. Pretty remarkable.
It was into the second year. They had good linemen on both sides of the ball to build with and a future Heisman QB.

It’s certainly not impossible for a rapid turn around. Stranger things have happened. I’m just saying that I wouldn’t expect it, you’re likely to be disappointed.

Alvaro Carrillo

Jan 28, 2018
Don't expect much improvement. You still have the same coordinators getting out coached and failing to make adjustments. Maybe discipline will improve a bit. I remember watching the UCLA game with Coach O in charge. I was hoping we would pull out a win. But the reality is that they were the better team.

BESCFAN

Aug 24, 2017
Depending on how the players respond, this could be a rough, rough season. SC's offense is, and has been sh*t under Harrell. From schemes to play calling...freaking garbage with no identity. Defense looked very slow against Stanfurd, which is not a very good team. As some previous posters have pointed out, there are years of a real soft culture that Helton festered. It's going to take a serious house cleaning and drastic change in culture to turn this around. Petersen is right...2-3 years. SC should be within the 2 year window with their tradition recruiting ability. Just glad someone finally ripped this Band-Aid off. Will root like hell for these players...

RB4SC

Sep 18, 2017
I'm sticking with HCDW's PLAN...1-0 each day...LEADING to 1-0 each week...I think the TEAM can do that! At least I'm praying the can THIS week!

Beat the Cougs...

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
RB4SC

GilbertAZTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I think the rest of the season could get wild. Donte has to have gone to Harrell and Orlando and let them know that basically, if we make it to the Conference Championship and a Bowl game, each of these guys has 11-12 more games to coach before they're fired and looking for work as the new coach probably has ZERO desire to keep either of them.

The current USC team reminds me so much of the Cleveland Indians in the movie Major League. Harrell and Orlando after being told by Bohn and Donte that their careers are basically over at USC after this season and that they are going to be replaced by better personnel, had to have looked at each other, all down in the dumps, and asked, "what do we do now?" to which Donte responded, "win the whole ******* thing!"

Donte has probably given Harrell and Orlando the green light to do whatever they want and to use these next 11-12 games as their resume for their next jobs. Harrell...go full Air Raid; forget about the run, line up 5 WRs on every play and have Slovis sling the rock 70 times a game; Orlando, unleash hell!!! You blitz all night from every angle bringing 7-8 on every play.

Total relentlessness every play on both sides of the ball. That is what I see.

USC1

Aug 24, 2017
I hoping to see on offense more running. We have averaged about 5 yards a carry establish it make the other team stop it and use some play action once the defense has positioned itself to stop it. Please start using the RB with short passes and screens against Stanford and most other teams they play a zone with 6 players in secondary screens should be good for 5-25 yards.

After the bye will tell a lot about this team and CDW leadership. Will they be more discipline will players be accountable for their performance in practice. Competition in practice will help put the best product on the field during games. Players need to be pushed each day. I am sure there are some hungry players that are sitting right now.

CTO defense had zero sacks against either opponent and against Stanford the QB picked us apart meaning the QB was rarely worried because he had alot of time. He is responsible for figuring it out or adjusting with something else that fits with our strengths. We can make up a sensational DT out of nothing then adjust.

Do I expect USC to go undefeated NO (if they do then CDW needs to be considered depending on who else has interest) but some of the noticeable changes like discipline, personnel changes, offensive identity, defensive adjustments, team morale will speak to the influence of both no Helton and CDW

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
It's going to take at least a year or two to change USC's culture into a consistent program. Though how fast that happens, will depend on the support the new Head Coach gets and who they are, as a football mind. But in the interim? I don't know if there's much Donte can do, other than try to change the attitude and general structure/tone of practices, week by week. Still bad habits built under Hugs will remain, I'm sure.

Too much of his mindset and ism's have no doubt rubbed off on the players, when it comes to playing the game. It will be jarring.
Pete changed the culture in 5 games.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Pete changed the culture in 5 games.
PC was a breath of fresh air from day one. Like everyone else, I shook my head when they hired him. Then I started hearing stories of him cutting practice short taking the team to the swim facilities just to burn off stress his first day, and staying late after practice to personally work with Carson Palmer. His impact on the culture was quick.

But it didn’t immediately fix the teams issues on the field. They still went 6-6 his first season, and started the next season 3-2 before they really found their footing and became the powerhouse that they became.

USC1

Aug 24, 2017
Pete’s second year 10-2 and an *** whipping of Iowa in the Orange Bowl. So it took Pete less than a season in a half to radically change the culture. Amazing!!!!!

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Pete’s second year 10-2 and an *** whipping of Iowa in the Orange Bowl. So it took Pete less than a season in a half to radically change the culture. Amazing!!!!!
Which took about 12 months and two games. Surely, what Pete did was amazing. No doubt.

But who can match his ability to turn around a teams culture from being okay with mediocrity and next to zero accountability? can anyone top him? that's not already, doing it somewhere else not named Saban or Meyer.

We need a guy that earns the respect of the team by preparing them to the highest degree possible week to week. A coach that will demand near perfection within reason. A man that doesn't sugar coat or get labeled the "nice guy". We need someone that can adapt and adjust in order to achieve victories.

Who out there can match all that and have that intense, disciplined, win focused personality season after season for USC? that's the question.

Last edited: