Replay review equipment

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
Remember when replay review was initially instituted and the the curmudgeons in charge decided the replay officials didn't need HD monitors to study plays on?

Yeah. I thought of that last night watching the umpire on the sideline peering into the wee monitor to make a decision. I haven't looked at the image on one of those, but it can't possibly be the best view available, otherwise the folks in the production booth would use monitors that size to do the game, right?

Can we not at least get a Walmart HD TV for the official helping make the decision to look at?

I always think of the day SEC Commissioner Kramer told the crowd at media days the BCS formula would eliminate all concerns about the right two teams playing for the national title, in part because the formula included computer rankings, ranked by a computer. As if he didn't understand that just meant whoever wrote the software decided what factors to weight. I think probably he didn't.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, and while we're at it why are we still measuring first downs with two sticks and a chain?
Always thought that was pretty stupid. You measure the leading stick so precisely at 10 yards. Completely ignoring that where the trailing stick was placed from the previous 1st down is a total approximation.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Remember when replay review was initially instituted and the the curmudgeons in charge decided the replay officials didn't need HD monitors to study plays on?

Yeah. I thought of that last night watching the umpire on the sideline peering into the wee monitor to make a decision. I haven't looked at the image on one of those, but it can't possibly be the best view available, otherwise the folks in the production booth would use monitors that size to do the game, right?

Can we not at least get a Walmart HD TV for the official helping make the decision to look at?

I always think of the day SEC Commissioner Kramer told the crowd at media days the BCS formula would eliminate all concerns about the right two teams playing for the national title, in part because the formula included computer rankings, ranked by a computer. As if he didn't understand that just meant whoever wrote the software decided what factors to weight. I think probably he didn't.

Every stadium has multiple large video screens. Why not just use those?

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
I know there are other officials involved, but if the on-field umpire doesn't have any authority, why even let him look at it? Wouldn't it be better if he could see WTF even happened, looking at it on something larger than an iPhone screen?

Besides that, it's not in the Constitution that the on-field officials don't have input, it's just the current rule. Just like 2 teams in the BCS was once the current rule.

Don't let whatever the current situation might be prevent improvements to the game.

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Other conference’s use larger monitors on the field.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, and while we're at it why are we still measuring first downs with two sticks and a chain?
For the drama. If you remove the sticks and chain you have to also start laser placement of the ball based on where the play is precisely down.

The small monitors are 720P and weather proof. About the of a small tablet screen. It's all a contract to some company

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
For the drama. If you remove the sticks and chain you have to also start laser placement of the ball based on where the play is precisely down.

The small monitors are 720P and weather proof. About the of a small tablet screen. It's all a contract to some company
I guess the last thing we need is to have the ball placed precisely where it’s down.***

Reactions: onewoof