Rivalry Weekend. We should be playing Pitt today and every Rivalry Weekend Saturday

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
I'm not going to get into a debate as to whether or not we should play Pitt annually but if we did, it wouldn't be on rivalry weekend. PSU would have nothing to do with it. Take it up with the B1G which sets the conference schedules. If they did allow PSU to play a non-con game on Thanksgiving weekend, another B1G team would need to find a non-con game as well.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Most fans younger than 60 probably don't remember the old rivalry and my guess would be that they don't care, either.

Does anybody really care about UGA vs GaTech? I don't even think the state of Georgia does.

It's still played. Final game of the year.

Reactions: grinagrin

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Playing Pitt every season while the B1G is still in a 9 game schedule would mean the end of any other meaningful non-conference games. I’d rather work Pitt in here and there with teams like Auburn, Virginia Tech, Alabama, Notre Dame, etc.

Pride

Oct 12, 2021
Don’t give me the “we have nothing to gain” excuse. Georgia plays Ga Tech, and Clemson plays USCe every year. Enough is enough, Pitt vs PSU is one of the best rivalries in the game and it’s a shame it’s not played every year!
No one cares about Pitt anymore. It would of happened if Pitt had agreed to play two at PSU for every one at Pitt….but they turned it down. Good riddance

PSU86

Oct 25, 2021
I'm 57, grew up in Central PA, and graduated from PSU in 86. I think many have "false memories" of the PSU-Pitt series-- it was relevant for about 10 years (75-85), but mostly they were just another Eastern team we beat pretty much every year (Joe was 23-7-1). By 87 or so, it wasn't the last game of the year, Notre Dame was. As I am in the demographic group that most think "long for" the series to be renewed, believe me, no one east of Westmoreland County cares at all.

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Don’t give me the “we have nothing to gain” excuse. Georgia plays Ga Tech, and Clemson plays USCe every year. Enough is enough, Pitt vs PSU is one of the best rivalries in the game and it’s a shame it’s not played every year!
None of those other teams play 9 conference games. End of discussion unless that changes, or more regular season games are added to the schedule.

Reactions: PSU86 and Bison13

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Playing Pitt every season while the B1G is still in a 9 game schedule would mean the end of any other meaningful non-conference games. I’d rather work Pitt in here and there with teams like Auburn, Virginia Tech, Alabama, Notre Dame, etc.
I agree. My only caveat would be as long as Penn St mixes them in with Auburn, ND, Alabama and NOT Temple, Villanova, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, etc.

If PSU rarely schedules the ND, Auburn type teams then just play Pitt.

EDIT- Caveat 2- Penn St should never play another Pennsylvania team other than Pitt. No Temple. No Villanova. If you’re going to schedule Temple- just put in Pitt instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortheglory612

helixville

Oct 12, 2021
I'm 49. Grew up and live in Bedford county. There are quite a few Pitt fans here. Most of my hs school friends are still around the area and about half of them are Pitt fans. My son is 16 and his best friend is as rabid a Pitt fan as he is Penn State. There is plenty of **** talking in the younger generations. Especially this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PopSheetz and Psu00

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Most fans younger than 60 probably don't remember the old rivalry and my guess would be that they don't care, either.
Probably younger than 50, Nitt. Daughter graduated in 92', the rivalry was still going strong.

Waaaaaaaany

Oct 13, 2021
luckily all these "we should play Pitt every year" folks already have one foot in the grave

Reactions: PSU86

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
I'm 49. Grew up and live in Bedford county. There are quite a few Pitt fans here. Most of my hs school friends are still around the area and about half of them are Pitt fans. My son is 16 and his best friend is as rabid a Pitt fan as he is Penn State. There is plenty of **** talking in the younger generations. Especially this year.
I'm in my mid-30's, and I love when we play Pitt. I also know a lot of Pitt fans and the game and week leading up to it are so much fun. Then again, I don't hate Pitt like most on here. They'd kick our *** this year. Our only chance would be to put up a ton of points on their secondary, but I think Pickett would pick us apart.

Latest posts