Roster Breakdown: Better, As,or Worse Than Expected?

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
Quick rundown of some of the roster after 4 games

Better:

Tajh Washington - he's getting more targets than I expected... took GB Jr's touches

Max Williams - playing better at FS than expected.. didn't like his length for the position

Solomon Byrd - decent pass rusher at Wyoming, but better than expected jumping from #3 to starter

Mekhi Blackmon -making plays..getting tested frequently as if somehow not respected

Ceyair Wright- not getting beat and not really getting tested much, almost as if respected more than Blackmon.

Eric Gentry- didn't like the concept of him at MIKE, length in the middle and disruptive play might make people rethink future prospects at the position

Shane Lee- Thought he might be a disaster in coverage and a liability to due to lack of athleticism. He holding up better than expected, though still might get targeted in the final 8 games.

Kyron Hudson - I didn't expect him to do much of anything at USC. He's seeing the field as a RS Frosh though.

Anthony Beavers- was never high on him as a prospect coming out of HS. Getting on the field early as a RS Frosh though.

Brett Neilon- He's in his 6th year though so he should be playing well

Visi Nomura - getting more PT than expected...thought he wouldn't see the field...nice lick vs Stanford

As:

Travis Dye- I expected him to be productive. Getting more workload than expected, but he's the guy I thought he was.

Jordan Addison-as expected, though might be more of an assassin/clutch guy than expected

Caleb Williams - as expected.....I didn't expect him to skip the requisite growing pains after coming in with less than 10 starts to his name. Heisman hype was a tad excessive.

Mario Williams - about as expected, maybe a bit better in regards to YAC/twitchiness/ short area quickness

Jaylin Smith - not sure how he's grading, but doesn't seem to be making plays..need to watch him on tape more-could be wrong

Malcolm Epps- I didn't think he'd make many plays or be a big part of the O

Stanley T.- about as expected..maybe even a tad better

Tuli T.- performing at a high level as expected

Dejon Benton- I wasn't expecting him to standout

Tyrone Taleni- I didn't expect much

Solo T.- I didn't expect much

Raleek Brown- figured he'd get a little run, maybe a bit more than he has but injured

Bryson Shaw- thought he was JAG

Bobby Haskins- thought he was overhyped...about as expected

Domani Jackson - going to get worked into the rotation and challenge for PT after injuries..finally saw the field vs Oregon State

Courtland Ford

Andrew Voorhees

Justin Dedich

Jonah Monheim

Sleep-Dalton

Dennis Lynch

Xamarion Gordon

Prophet Brown

Josh Falo

Miller Moss

Raesjon Davis - finally got some run vs Fresno during that goalline stand..otherwise would have been in the worse category for being MIA

Worse:

Calen Bullock - bad angles, not making as many plays in Grinch system at SS, better in single high looks..not playing bad, but just not as stellar as expected

Brendan Rice - Not making much of an impact on offense or ST..is he getting separation?

Nick Figueroa - thought he'd make more of an impact in the rotation

Latrell McCutcheon- thought he'd make more of an impact or unseat Smith.....not getting many snaps

Korey Foreman - not making a great impact despite Height injury, regardless of the overblown fanboy reactions/expectations attached his 5 star hype

Romello Height - not really as good as expected/hyped and then got injured

Darwin Barlow- thought he would get more carries and it'd be a 45-35-20 split with the 3 backs

Kyle Ford - not breaking into the rotation

Xavian Alford -thought he would start......now stuck behind Bullock

Mason Murphy - Immediately showed he wasn't ready for prime time...gotta tighten up

Lake McCree- Thought he'd make more noise and be a threat in the passing game

Julien Simon - thought he was more dynamic out of hs than he's shown

Gary Bryant Jr. - Buried on depth chart... Washington's getting the touches I thought he'd be getting. Transferring. He will put up numbers elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaycee993

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Thinking you need to drop the 6th year judgment thing. Those circumstances were extraordinary. Neilon is a 5th year senior in my book and playing like it. Smartest player on the team from day one as a freshman and still true to this day.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Thinking you need to drop the 6th year judgment thing. Those circumstances were extraordinary. Neilon is a 5th year senior in my book and playing like it. Smartest player on the team from day one as a freshman and still true to this day.
And pretty bad first 4 years. He was getting rag dolled by NT’s on a regular basis. Very solid now.

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
Eric Gentry- didn't like the concept of him at MIKE, length in the middle and disruptive play might make people rethink future prospects at the position
Good job on your analysis. Lots to digest. Gentry is an anomaly. When is the last time you saw a LB with his built and body type? I love this kid. He has a 7'1" wing span and moves well. He brings things to the table we have not seen before. Like you it makes me want to rethink about recruiting for LB. He is unique and is a game changer.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Overall it would seem the offensive line is better than ever imagined, I see pulling, down field blocks, great pocket protection. They were not bad last year, but this year they took a huge step up

Reactions: TroyBill

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
I understand your perspective on it, but to me 6th year is 6th year. People try to discount the COVID year like 6 games meant nothing. Just because the NCAA granted them an extra year doesn't mean we need to go along with it and ignore it. He had a year of training and prep just like other dudes.

There are 3rd year NFL guys that were in his recruiting class. This is his 6th year removed from high school no matter how you slice it. Same with Voorhees. These guys are old as hell and that should be noted when evaluating them. The NFL does the same thing. The fact that a guy like Tuli just turned 20 a few weeks ago as a true junior makes him a more attractive prospect than some 5th year COVID Junior that's 22 or 23 and his play is looked at more positively.

Reactions: Trojan JST

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
I understand your perspective on it, but to me 6th year is 6th year. People try to discount the COVID year like 6 games meant nothing. Just because the NCAA granted them an extra year doesn't mean we need to go along with it and ignore it. He had a year of training and prep just like other dudes.

There are 3rd year NFL guys that were in his recruiting class. This is his 6th year removed from high school no matter how you slice it. Same with Voorhees. These guys are old as hell and that should be noted when evaluating them. The NFL does the same thing. The fact that a guy like Tuli just turned 20 a few weeks ago as a true junior makes him a more attractive prospect than some 5th year COVID Junior that's 22 or 23 and his play is looked at more positively.
But were talking about CFB performance....

So yeah, there were far more talented guys from his class, but so what?

If he never makes it to the NFL, I will remember him as a long time USC contributor....

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
But were talking about CFB performance....

So yeah, there were far more talented guys from his class, but so what?

If he never makes it to the NFL, I will remember him as a long time USC contributor....

I was talking about college performance as well. I commented on him being a 6th year player in college and how he should be good by now since he's playing against guys younger than him and have had less time to hone their skills. That won't make me think of him less nor was I seriously discounting his achievements. It was actually moreso said in jest, but obviously with some truth behind it.

Oldschoolrock

Aug 24, 2017
Good job on your analysis. Lots to digest. Gentry is an anomaly. When is the last time you saw a LB with his built and body type? I love this kid. He has a 7'1" wing span and moves well. He brings things to the table we have not seen before. Like you it makes me want to rethink about recruiting for LB. He is unique and is a game changer.
Thought I saw a stinger spine injury on one of his tackles last night where he was bent back bcse of angle and another defender hitting rb from different direction

Reactions: BlackLeftLeft

Latest posts