Screw It. Play The Kids

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
The only way to salvage this sinking ship is to look to the future. I’ve always tried to conduct myself on these message boards by the simple ethos of never saying anything about a player that I wouldn’t say to his mother’s face or his father’s face, or to his face.

I cannot say I’ve always been successful in that endeavor. I’m human and I’m fallible, and occasionally have said things about a player that I regretted, and in rarer cases, can’t say I regretted it, then or now.

It was also a lot easier to follow that credo in 2006 than it is 15 years later, watching this…..this…… I don’t even know what to call it…….abomination is all I can come up with. On Halloween night in 2008 we went up to Corvallis and got beat. I said at the time it was like we sleep walked through that game. After last night, compared to THAT, 2008 In Corvallis was January 4, 2005 in Miami.

So, screw it, play the kids. The future of this team, isn’t the upperclassmen. The future of this team is not this coaching staff. After this abomination, I’m not sure either of those groups have much of a future in football. I’m not talking about the two Drake’s, although I think Drake Jackson has been wasted at USC. Not his fault. He’s going to be fine.

The future of this team is the youngsters. Brett Neilon isn’t going to get any better. Isaiah Pola- Mao isn‘t going get any better. Either are Figueroa, ITS, Chris Steele, Kromenhoek etc. But the kids can get better. They aren’t going to get much better in practice. Not with this staff. That much is evident. They need to play, even if we don’t win many more, or even any more games. It’s the only course of action available to us.

Throw out the depth chart, let the kids play and let the older players be the backups.

Let Slovis be the backup. Give Moss the position until Dart is healthy. Let Slovis go somewhere else, to some other program, some other staff that can get him back on track, if that’s possible. So far, it’s worked out pretty well for JT Daniels.

Funny story, I was told that when JT visited Alabama, he was really close to committing to them but instead, he called the USC staff and told them he was in. He was going to be a Trojan. When his dad asked him why, he said “ I don’t want to go to Alabama, I want to go somewhere and beat Alabama”.

So he’s probably going to get the chance. Just not at USC. I’ll be rooting for him. I’ve lived in Athens for 20 years and never really rooted for UGA, but I am this year. These people deserve to win a title so they can lose the 1980 moniker, and JT deserves to see if he can beat Alabama.

Sorry for the rant, but it needs to be said.

Our only hope for the future, is to begin the future now.

Last edited:

Tunaslam

Aug 24, 2017
Well said and I agree. The starters have proven they are not worthy, give the backups a chance, how much worse can it get? Donte was right, neither the coaches or players did their job last night! As has been the case for years halftime adjustments are non-existent? Why?

Can't even find the energy to say Fight On right now, the taste in my mouth, sickening.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Well said and I agree. The starters have proven they are not worthy, give the backups a chance, how much worse can it get? Donte was right, neither the coaches or players did their job last night! As has been the case for years halftime adjustments are non-existent? Why?

Can't even find the energy to say Fight On right now, the taste in my mouth, sickening.
Some posters may not be aware of who you are, but those words coming from you, have more weight than they do coming from me.

Aug 24, 2017
The only way to salvage this sinking ship is to look to the future. I’ve always tried to conduct myself on these message boards by the simple ethos of never saying anything about a player that I wouldn’t say to his mother’s face or his father’s face, or to his face.

I cannot say I’ve always been successful in that endeavor. I’m human and I’m fallible, and occasionally have said things about a player that I regretted, and in rarer cases, can’t say I regretted it, then or now.

It was also a lot easier to follow that credo in 2006 than it is 15 years later, watching this…..this…… I don’t even know what to call it…….abomination is all I can come up with. On Halloween night in 2008 we went up to Corvallis and got beat. I said at the time it was like we sleep walked through that game. After last night, compared to THAT, 2008 In Corvallis was January 4, 2005 in Miami.

So, screw it, play the kids. The future of this team, isn’t the upperclassmen. The future of this team is not this coaching staff. After this abomination, I’m not sure either of those groups have much of a future in football. I’m not talking about the two Drake’s, although I think Drake Jackson has been wasted at USC. Not his fault. He’s going to be fine.

The future of this team is the youngsters. Brett Neilon isn’t going to get any better. Isaiah Pola- Mao isn‘t going get any better. Either are Figueroa, ITS, Chris Steele, Kromenhoek etc. But the kids can get better. They aren’t going to get much better in practice. Not with this staff. That much is evident. They need to play, even if we don’t win many more, or even any more games. It’s the only course of action available to us.

Throw out the depth chart, let the kids play and let the older players be the backups.

Let Slovis be the backup. Give Moss the position until Dart is healthy. Let Slovis go somewhere,some program, some staff that can get him back on track, if that’s possible. So far, it’s worked out pretty well for JT Daniels.

Funny story, I was told that when JT visited Alabama, he was really close to committing to them but instead, he called the USC staff and told them he was in. He was going to be a Trojan. When his dad asked him why he said “ I don’t want to go to Alabama, I want to go somewhere and beat Alabama”.

So he’s probably going to get the chance. Just not at USC. I’ll be rooting for him. I’ve lived in Athens for 20 years and never really rooted for UGA, but I am this year. These people deserve to win a title so they can lose the 1980 moniker, and JT deserves to see if he can beat Alabama.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said....play the youngsters at least up to their 4 games so they dont blow their redshirt so that the incoming staff has something to judge them on...Let Moss get the starts until Dart returns and let's see # 0 on the field opposite Draje on the D line along with the other defensive talent that Coach William's recruited that are suppoto be so talented....

Reactions: Hockey10

Shrapper

Aug 30, 2021
The entire criticism etiquette is lessened in my opinion, especially now that these players can get paid. I admit I’m hyper critical, but some honesty is better than constantly blowing sunshine where it doesn’t belong. It’s not healthy.

You would think or hope that players like Slovis would respond with a vengeance, but sadly he did not. I agree, Donte has nothing to lose: play everyone.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly with every you said....play the youngsters at least up to their 4 games so they dont blow their redshirt so that the incoming staff has something to judge them on...Let Moss get the starts until Dart returns and let's see # 0 on the field opposite Draje on the D line along with the other defensive talent that Coach William's recruited that are suppoto be so talented....
I don’t believe Red Shirting is even a consideration anymore. Maybe for linemen, but that’s it. No players, who are good enough to get you to the promised land, are going to stick around for 5 years anyway.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Donte, practice what you preach. ORDER freaking Orlando to forget about screwing with the minds of Drake Jackson and especially Korey Foreman, and do what Bobby Bowden did when florida state faced Michael Vick. He said: "My D-ends don't read nothin'. They just go for the jugglar." Words to that effect. Why put the Kibosh on Foreman's God given talents for pillaging, and just TURN HIM LOOSE! You don't need to commit no stinking play book to memory that way. You just wreak natural havoc! And you wreak it NOW!!!! And ORDER Harrell to bench dudes that cannot catch the rock, like Tahj Washington, and to PLAY instead the Jackson freshmen or Joseph freaking Manjack, who NEVER drops a freaking pass, despite wearing no gloves, and did you see his YAK yards last week up in the rain and Pullman. Amazing. He's a big sucker with elite wheels. nd hands of glue. But no! Over and over again Harrell went with butterfingered Washington. Or ORDER Harrell to sit Kedon's arse down and see what Miller Moss could do. I dare say he could NOT do WORSE than kedon was doing, so slow, so hesitant, gripping the rock way, way too long for dear life, getting us nowhere fast. CHANGE STUFF, Donte, just like you promised.

Tunaslam

Aug 24, 2017
You’re welcome, you’ve been a rock solid poster and a die hard Trojan for as long as I can remember.
The last few years have been so disappointing, for the most part I followed the premise, if you have nothing good to say, say nothing, although several times I lost control! Bad on me. All the best. Still have season tickets, but wondering why I have kept them.

Reactions: HectorSpectre

BayAreaSCFan

Aug 24, 2017
I’m not a prolific poster and just rejoined this forum, but I’ve been a USC football fan since 1962. I agree with the esteemed Mr. BlemBlam in that I don’t know what to call this team. I say play those that are committed to playing with passion and discipline…be they the upperclassmen or the kids.

Lack of player development, lack of discipline, lack of competition, ineffective offensive and defensive schemes, poor recruiting of positions other than offensive skill positions, and poor culture are the root causes of the hot mess this program has become. It all boils down to coaching. The USC coaching staff is abysmal. That’s where the problem resides and that’s where the solution will be..top flight coaching at all levels.

pumpman

Oct 6, 2017
Thank you Blem for a way forward that actually makes sense until the new coach and his staff arrive.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I’m not a prolific poster and just rejoined this forum, but I’ve been a USC football fan since 1962. I agree with the esteemed Mr. BlemBlam in that I don’t know what to call this team. I say play those that are committed to playing with passion and discipline…be they the upperclassmen or the kids.

Lack of player development, lack of discipline, lack of competition, ineffective offensive and defensive schemes, poor recruiting of positions other than offensive skill positions, and poor culture are the root causes of the hot mess this program has become. It all boils down to coaching. The USC coaching staff is abysmal. That’s where the problem resides and that’s where the solution will be..top flight coaching at all levels.
Let me guess. USC vs Duke, September 22, 1962. One of the very few USC games that were televised in those days. I had just turned 11, and watched that game and I was all in, every season, every game since. I guess it didn’t hurt that we went undefeated and won the National Championship that year, either.

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018

Let Slovis be the backup. Give Moss the position until Dart is healthy. Let Slovis go somewhere else, to some other program, some other staff that can get him back on track, if that’s possible. So far, it’s worked out pretty well for JT Daniels.

Funny story, I was told that when JT visited Alabama, he was really close to committing to them but instead, he called the USC staff and told them he was in. He was going to be a Trojan. When his dad asked him why, he said “ I don’t want to go to Alabama, I want to go somewhere and beat Alabama”.

I agree on playing the young kids. The extra year they gave the seniors is not helping the team. I was disappointed that I didn’t see more of Raseon Davis, Trigg, Korey Foreman, Bullock, and Manjack. Especially Foreman and Bullock who i expected to see as co-starters. #21 doesn’t deserve to play the entire game.

Last edited:

BayAreaSCFan

Aug 24, 2017
Let me guess. USC vs Duke, September 22, 1962. One of the very few USC games that were televised in those days. I had just turned 11, and watched that game and I was all in, every season, every game since. I guess it didn’t hurt that we went undefeated and won the National Championship that year, either.
Actually the first SC game I remember was as a 9 year old after reading the LATimes sports page following SC’s 25-0 beating of Notre Dame. Then they beat UCLA 14-3 (I think) the final game of the season. But what sealed the deal was watching the Jan.1, 1963 Rose Bowl game against Wisconsin. SC was way ahead (Pete Beathard qb, Hal Bedsole wr, Boomin Ben Wilson fb, Willie Brown i formation tailback, and Damon Bane lb) and then Ron Vander Kelen brought Wisconsin roaring back, but SC held on 42-37. That was the first college football game I ever watched on tv…no wonder I was hooked. Being a SoCal kid you had two choices..USC or UCLA…I made the right choice!

Reactions: VM805

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017

Thanks Blem…I try not to rip the kids. I prob shouldn’t rip the coaches but it’s tough not to blast on those adults leading the team.

The sooner they can get GHs hands off these qbs the better. The sooner they can hire an HC the better. That Oregon State coach looks outstanding. Loved everything he was doing.

Slovis, the love of GH’s life, is pressing man. I’m not a QB guru but he doesn’t look like the gun slinger that Kurt Warner sent to USC. He looks like a GH coached QB now.

Reactions: Troy70

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017

Come on Blem, you can't take out clay helton's incompetence on the upperclassmen who came to play here. Those kids didn't make this culture, they didn't ruin this program, and they don't deserve the blame.

Reactions: sctrojan2006

Jpltrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Unfortunately, the spine needed to bench the starters en masse is the same spine needed to turn a bad program into a good one. That spine doesn’t exist at SC…anywhere.

I think the difficulty is in “turning the page”. It’s too early in the season to turn the page on this team. There’s just too much football left…we’re not even into October yet.

Sadly, the same individual responsible for extending Clay into 2021 will be responsible for hiring his replacement. Had the decision been made to fire Gomer in 2020 we’d have already turned the page. (Interestingly, it’s certainly possible that Gomer was retained for financial purposes. Let’s see how THAT works out.)

I think the old timers are going to be disappointed a lot in the coming years as hard work and competition at the highest level are replaced with participation and intention. Spine and conviction go the way of the yeti, maybe always there but unseen. But, we can hope that the decision maker lands on another Howard Jones, Pete Carroll or John McKay and we’ll see leadership, fight, consistency, and follow through.

I’m afraid for this decision maker it’ll have to be an accidental hire because he/she hasn’t proven themselves competent or we would’ve already turned the page.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Come on Blem, you can't take out clay helton's incompetence on the upperclassmen who came to play here. Those kids didn't make this culture, they didn't ruin this program, and they don't deserve the blame.
Where did I say I blame them?

Georgetirebiter IV

Aug 26, 2017

It is all coaching. Every week for multiple years every post game interview stated “we saw things we never prepared for in practice.” We are always under prepared, never anticipating how the opponents will game plan us. Offensively and defensively, both.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017

Blem you live in Georgia? That is the hottest team in America. They pitched another shut out. That team could win a NC with just its defense. Their defense has given up 16 pts in 4 games. And they have an offense with the experienced JT Daniels, they can run the ball too. No matter what game they get locked into to they have an answer.
Their 5th string RB Daijan Edwards would start at USC and probably lead the pac 12 in rushing. The guy is insane. They play him in the 4th quarter and is a physical runner like a wrecking ball. Can you imagine taking a beating all game from White, Cook, Macintosh. Then the most physical of them all Edwards comes in the 4th and takes what’s left of you.

If UGA gets into one of those defensive battles 3 yards and a cloud of dust games they can win that way too.

True Freshman TE Brock Bowers? What a start to a season. 5 TD’s in 4 games 18 catches almost 300 yards total offense and Georgia did not use the TE much prior to this year. Now they have one of the best and he’s a true freshman from Napa California? Of all places.

They still don’t have 5 star TE Washington and 5 Star WR Blaylock they should be coming back with the next few weeks.

This is the team that could finally challenge Alabama.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
This year is nothing more than a showcase of the talents at USC for the next head coach to takeover. That’s all. 🤬🤬

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
You’re welcome, you’ve been a rock solid poster and a die hard Trojan for as long as I can remember.
After some of his comments regarding incoming students at USC, I can't agree with rock solid.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Their 5th string RB Daijan Edwards would start at USC and probably lead the pac 12 in rushing. The guy is insane. They play him in the 4th quarter and is a physical runner like a wrecking ball. Can you imagine taking a beating all game from White, Cook, Macintosh. Then the most physical of them all Edwards comes in the 4th and takes what’s left of you.

If UGA gets into one of those defensive battles 3 yards and a cloud of dust games they can win that way too.

True Freshman TE Brock Bowers? What a start to a season. 5 TD’s in 4 games 18 catches almost 300 yards total offense and Georgia did not use the TE much prior to this year. Now they have one of the best and he’s a true freshman from Napa California? Of all places.

They still don’t have 5 star TE Washington and 5 Star WR Blaylock they should be coming back with the next few weeks.

This is the team that could finally challenge Alabama.
The run game has some issues still. Perimeter blocks need work. They platoon several backs but the downside, is none of them gets an opportunity to develop a rhythm. Personally, I think Milton is the most physical and with the biggest upside. He was nursing a shoulder yesterday. He'll play against the hogs.

Bowers is a straight-up athlete. Even more impressive considering he didn't play a senior season in high school. Ladd McConkey, another freshman, from Chatsworth, had 4 catches yesterday for 62 yards and 1 TD. Plus he had one rush for 24 yards which, I believe, is the longest from scrimmage for any UGA player this season. Hence, why the rushing game needs attention.

Brock went to the same high school as Bill Buckner.

Reactions: HRPickenstuff

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
So Georgia vs Alabama sounds like a pretty good game!
One week at a time. Arkansas is headed to Athens this Saturday as is the College Gameday crew. Way too much football ahead to assume this SECCCG match up.

RONIN.usc

Dec 6, 2018
Was at the game with kids. We left in the 4th after Kedon took 2 consec sacks by holding the ball too long. He is just afraid to throw a pick so he waits forever and cannot pull the trigger. Their offense was a thing of beauty. QB mainly under Center and running downhill with jet sweeps, then playaction off the running game to wide open WR or TE. Their movement was so confusing. I often did not know who had the ball so imagine how our D felt.
Their coach is very young but he obviously GETS IT. Even last year, beat the Zeros by running down their throat. Its demoralizing and he demoralized our team and the fans.
i would take their Coach in a Nano second.
agree with Blem. No one worthwhile redshirts anymore in absence of injury.

Reactions: Kaptain Karl

Ride Fly

Aug 24, 2017
The run game has some issues still. Perimeter blocks need work. They platoon several backs but the downside, is none of them gets an opportunity to develop a rhythm. Personally, I think Milton is the most physical and with the biggest upside. He was nursing a shoulder yesterday. He'll play against the hogs.

Bowers is a straight-up athlete. Even more impressive considering he didn't play a senior season in high school. Ladd McConkey, another freshman, from Chatsworth, had 4 catches yesterday for 62 yards and 1 TD. Plus he had one rush for 24 yards which, I believe, is the longest from scrimmage for any UGA player this season. Hence, why the rushing game needs attention.

Damn, Veebs, you know so much data and info!

Merlin4SC

Jun 23, 2021

I think it was Halloween night in 2006 when we went in #1 on a 3 year regular season win streak, and I remember hearing that freakin chainsaw noise over the PA system all night. They brought an orange and black chain saw to the Coli last night in case you didn't notice. Anyway it was also the night Marlin McKeever died. It was a horrible time for USC Football. Probably still the worst, but last night is up there in the top ten if nto the top 5.

PS. I agree with all of your sentiments 100%.

Last edited:

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
Fair? Phuxk me. It’s everywhere.
I just don't believe you can wreck the draft stock and careers of players like Chris Steele, ITS, IPM, or any of the other upper classmen. This s*** show isn't their fault. If nothing else you don't bench them for the selfish reason that you're going to need more players from St John Bosco, Helix, and other local schools. Those coaches won't look kindly upon you wrecking the careers of their former players.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017

Billy Bucks? Really? That’s awesome. I had no idea he was a California guy.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
After some of his comments regarding incoming students at USC, I can't agree with rock solid.
Well, I don‘t always keep track of everything everyone says. He’s always been cool with me.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I think it was Halloween night in 2006 when we went in #1 on a 3 year regular season win streak, and I remember hearing that freakin chainsaw noise over the PA system all night. They brought an orange and black chain saw to the Coli last night in case you didn't notice. Anyway it was also the night Marlin McKeever died. It was a horrible time for USC Football. Probably still the worst, but last night is up there in the top ten if nto the top 5.

PS. I agree with all of your sentiments 100%.
Pretty sure the game I’m talking about was Halloween Night, 2008, because I remember Quizz Rogers picking up Everson Griffen and sending him AzzOverTeaKettle, and EG wasn’t on the team until aught7

Reactions: uscvball

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
One week at a time. Arkansas is headed to Athens this Saturday as is the College Gameday crew. Way too much football ahead to assume this SECCCG match up.
Arkansas would have very little effect on whether UGA makes it to the CCG. win or lose. They beat Florida and they’re in.