Screw It. Play The Kids

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Blem you live in Georgia? That is the hottest team in America. They pitched another shut out. That team could win a NC with just its defense. Their defense has given up 16 pts in 4 games. And they have an offense with the experienced JT Daniels, they can run the ball too. No matter what game they get locked into to they have an answer.
Their 5th string RB Daijan Edwards would start at USC and probably lead the pac 12 in rushing. The guy is insane. They play him in the 4th quarter and is a physical runner like a wrecking ball. Can you imagine taking a beating all game from White, Cook, Macintosh. Then the most physical of them all Edwards comes in the 4th and takes what’s left of you.

If UGA gets into one of those defensive battles 3 yards and a cloud of dust games they can win that way too.

True Freshman TE Brock Bowers? What a start to a season. 5 TD’s in 4 games 18 catches almost 300 yards total offense and Georgia did not use the TE much prior to this year. Now they have one of the best and he’s a true freshman from Napa California? Of all places.

They still don’t have 5 star TE Washington and 5 Star WR Blaylock they should be coming back with the next few weeks.

This is the team that could finally challenge Alabama.
I live in Athens. Wife and one daughter are grads and Wifey is almost done with her PHD in Math Ed
They want her to join the faculty as soon as she gets it.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
The only way to salvage this sinking ship is to look to the future. I’ve always tried to conduct myself on these message boards by the simple ethos of never saying anything about a player that I wouldn’t say to his mother’s face or his father’s face, or to his face.

I cannot say I’ve always been successful in that endeavor. I’m human and I’m fallible, and occasionally have said things about a player that I regretted, and in rarer cases, can’t say I regretted it, then or now.

It was also a lot easier to follow that credo in 2006 than it is 15 years later, watching this…..this…… I don’t even know what to call it…….abomination is all I can come up with. On Halloween night in 2008 we went up to Corvallis and got beat. I said at the time it was like we sleep walked through that game. After last night, compared to THAT, 2008 In Corvallis was January 4, 2005 in Miami.

So, screw it, play the kids. The future of this team, isn’t the upperclassmen. The future of this team is not this coaching staff. After this abomination, I’m not sure either of those groups have much of a future in football. I’m not talking about the two Drake’s, although I think Drake Jackson has been wasted at USC. Not his fault. He’s going to be fine.

The future of this team is the youngsters. Brett Neilon isn’t going to get any better. Isaiah Pola- Mao isn‘t going get any better. Either are Figueroa, ITS, Chris Steele, Kromenhoek etc. But the kids can get better. They aren’t going to get much better in practice. Not with this staff. That much is evident. They need to play, even if we don’t win many more, or even any more games. It’s the only course of action available to us.

Throw out the depth chart, let the kids play and let the older players be the backups.

Let Slovis be the backup. Give Moss the position until Dart is healthy. Let Slovis go somewhere else, to some other program, some other staff that can get him back on track, if that’s possible. So far, it’s worked out pretty well for JT Daniels.

Funny story, I was told that when JT visited Alabama, he was really close to committing to them but instead, he called the USC staff and told them he was in. He was going to be a Trojan. When his dad asked him why, he said “ I don’t want to go to Alabama, I want to go somewhere and beat Alabama”.

So he’s probably going to get the chance. Just not at USC. I’ll be rooting for him. I’ve lived in Athens for 20 years and never really rooted for UGA, but I am this year. These people deserve to win a title so they can lose the 1980 moniker, and JT deserves to see if he can beat Alabama.

Sorry for the rant, but it needs to be said.

Our only hope for the future, is to begin the future now.
Minor detail, but it wasn't Halloween night. It was a Thursday night in September. I remember it distinctly, because I was at a parent night at school. It always bugged me that a road loss on a Thursday night was held against us, when Florida lost to Ole Miss at home on a Saturday and got the BCS NCG berth ahead of the Trojans.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Well you're essentially saying they should be benched. I just don't think that's fair.
That’s fine. Life isn’t fair.

Do you think it’s unfair to suggest that Slovis should be benched for Dart?
If you do you are a minority of one.

Did you think it was unfair when people said Toa Lobendahn should be benched, or was he the love of your life too?

Leaving him in, almost ruined JT Daniels career.

I‘m pretty sure I said, or at least inferred that it was the coaches fault. But at this point, it really doesn’t matter who is at fault. I simply believe it’s time for out with old, in with the new, with a few exceptions. You’re right, it isn’t fair, but I’m just saying that, IMo, the only way to right this foundering ship, is to replace the crew, because I’d rather run aground with the new guys and hopefully the experience will keep it from happening in the future. And right now, we aren’t in danger of just running aground, we’re taking on water and sinking fast.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Minor detail, but it wasn't Halloween night. It was a Thursday night in September. I remember it distinctly, because I was at a parent night at school. It always bugged me that a road loss on a Thursday night was held against us, when Florida lost to Ole Miss at home on a Saturday and got the BCS NCG berth ahead of the Trojans.
See, this is what happens when you get old. I knew it was a Thursday game, because I got a ration of isht the next day at work, but would have bet the farm it was on Halloween.

Myself and all my farm critters thank you.

Reactions: aimeedee

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
The only way to salvage this sinking ship is to look to the future. I’ve always tried to conduct myself on these message boards by the simple ethos of never saying anything about a player that I wouldn’t say to his mother’s face or his father’s face, or to his face.

I cannot say I’ve always been successful in that endeavor. I’m human and I’m fallible, and occasionally have said things about a player that I regretted, and in rarer cases, can’t say I regretted it, then or now.

It was also a lot easier to follow that credo in 2006 than it is 15 years later, watching this…..this…… I don’t even know what to call it…….abomination is all I can come up with. On Halloween night in 2008 we went up to Corvallis and got beat. I said at the time it was like we sleep walked through that game. After last night, compared to THAT, 2008 In Corvallis was January 4, 2005 in Miami.

So, screw it, play the kids. The future of this team, isn’t the upperclassmen. The future of this team is not this coaching staff. After this abomination, I’m not sure either of those groups have much of a future in football. I’m not talking about the two Drake’s, although I think Drake Jackson has been wasted at USC. Not his fault. He’s going to be fine.

The future of this team is the youngsters. Brett Neilon isn’t going to get any better. Isaiah Pola- Mao isn‘t going get any better. Either are Figueroa, ITS, Chris Steele, Kromenhoek etc. But the kids can get better. They aren’t going to get much better in practice. Not with this staff. That much is evident. They need to play, even if we don’t win many more, or even any more games. It’s the only course of action available to us.

Throw out the depth chart, let the kids play and let the older players be the backups.

Let Slovis be the backup. Give Moss the position until Dart is healthy. Let Slovis go somewhere else, to some other program, some other staff that can get him back on track, if that’s possible. So far, it’s worked out pretty well for JT Daniels.

Funny story, I was told that when JT visited Alabama, he was really close to committing to them but instead, he called the USC staff and told them he was in. He was going to be a Trojan. When his dad asked him why, he said “ I don’t want to go to Alabama, I want to go somewhere and beat Alabama”.

So he’s probably going to get the chance. Just not at USC. I’ll be rooting for him. I’ve lived in Athens for 20 years and never really rooted for UGA, but I am this year. These people deserve to win a title so they can lose the 1980 moniker, and JT deserves to see if he can beat Alabama.

Hall of Fame post.

Jpltrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I just don't believe you can wreck the draft stock and careers of players like Chris Steele, ITS, IPM, or any of the other upper classmen. This s*** show isn't their fault. If nothing else you don't bench them for the selfish reason that you're going to need more players from St John Bosco, Helix, and other local schools. Those coaches won't look kindly upon you wrecking the careers of their former players.
Those players mentioned have zero chance at the NFL. Zero. It has nothing to do with coaching. They simply don’t have the talent, heart, work ethic needed to play on Sundays. SC has 1 player that can sniff the NFL and he’s dropping too many passes today.

None of the top recruits are signing onto SC until the new HC is named. Period.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
See, this is what happens when you get old. I knew it was a Thursday game, because I got a ration of isht the next day at work, but would have bet the farm it was on Halloween.

Myself and all my farm critters thank you.
Yeah, unfortunately my son did, too, at school. Most of his friends/teachers were Domers and I had been bantering with the one of the teachers at the conference that night. (Of course, Halloween can fall on a Thursday, but it was September for sure. ND still stunk back then, but didn't stop him from needling my son the next day.) We DID have a bad game on Halloween to Oregon in Eugene in 2009, but that wasn't considered an upset. And we had the upset at Oregon State on Halloween weekend (but not the 31st) in 2006.

Last edited:

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
The only thing that Donte owes any kid senior or freshman is The Opportunity to compete for the starting position! But at the end of the day the assistant coaches remain and they will continually use the excuse well the freshmen don’t understand my crappy system. Like Drake at LB or GH’s crappy offense. It is the assistants that are the roadblocks! Go see the postgame videos all they do is ramble when asked questions. Harrell just sounds list!
Fight On!

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
I don't believe in playing the young guys just for the sake of it.
That is a big eff you to the upperclassmen that have stuck around and worked to try to get SC over the top.
I think you play the best players, based on practice performance, knowledge of playbook, etc. Then there is little argument over favoritism.
And if you did play all the young guys, what do you do if some upperclassmen transfer in-season? Now, you have no leadership or depth if something goes wrong.

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
That’s fine. Life isn’t fair.

Do you think it’s unfair to suggest that Slovis should be benched for Dart?
If you do you are a minority of one.

Did you think it was unfair when people said Toa Lobendahn should be benched, or was he the love of your life too?

Leaving him in, almost ruined JT Daniels career.

I‘m pretty sure I said, or at least inferred that it was the coaches fault. But at this point, it really doesn’t matter who is at fault. I simply believe it’s time for out with old, in with the new, with a few exceptions. You’re right, it isn’t fair, but I’m just saying that, IMo, the only way to right this foundering ship, is to replace the crew, because I’d rather run aground with the new guys and hopefully the experience will keep it from happening in the future. And right now, we aren’t in danger of just running aground, we’re taking on water and sinking fast.
With respect to Dart, He's the best quarterback on the team so yes you play him. Toa couldn't play center to save his life he never should have been there. My only issue is replacing upperclassmen who are the best players with young guys for the sake of doing it. That doesn't even go into the fact that you're going to piss off some of the high school programs that you really need.

Reactions: Ride Fly

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
Those players mentioned have zero chance at the NFL. Zero. It has nothing to do with coaching. They simply don’t have the talent, heart, work ethic needed to play on Sundays. SC has 1 player that can sniff the NFL and he’s dropping too many passes today.

None of the top recruits are signing onto SC until the new HC is named. Period.
I think there's several players in our secondary who could play on Sundays with the right coaching. They don't look great now because we have zero pass rush, can't stop the run so they get no help, and have a broken culture thanks to coach Bozo.

Jpltrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I think there's several players in our secondary who could play on Sundays with the right coaching. They don't look great now because we have zero pass rush, can't stop the run so they get no help, and have a broken culture thanks to coach Bozo.
We won’t agree on that matter.
Suggesting Bohn will fix this mess somewhat amazes me. Most will agree both Swann and Haden were horrible ADs that have caused incredible damage to SC over many years. Yet, the same people that hired BOTH Swann and Haden hired Bohn. Is it too far a reach to think that Bohn may be another incompetent like the previous two hires?

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Olaijah Griffin was by far, our best Corner last year, and he barely made a practice squad. ITS, IPM and Steele would have had a better chance of making it in the NFL if they had taken the Jay Tufele route and sat out this year. You think the film the NFL has on them now is going to be any better as the year goes on?

Reactions: Hockey10

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
We won’t agree on that matter.
Suggesting Bohn will fix this mess somewhat amazes me. Most will agree both Swann and Haden were horrible ADs that have caused incredible damage to SC over many years. Yet, the same people that hired BOTH Swann and Haden hired Bohn. Is it too far a reach to think that Bohn may be another incompetent like the previous two hires?
I think Bohn deserves the benefit of the doubt. Like I said when Helton was hired, I’d support him until I couldn’t. Couldn’t sailed about four years ago.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I don’t understand why people think the coaches shouldn’t play the younger kids?
What, are they afraid the kids might embarrass them?

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
Olaijah Griffin was by far, our best Corner last year, and he barely made a practice squad. ITS, IPM and Steele would have had a better chance of making it in the NFL if they had taken the Jay Tufele route and sat out this year. You think the film the NFL has on them now is going to be any better as the year goes on?
I think I don't know what they're capable of because they're kids stuck in a toxic culture. They are playing a defense that gets no pass rush and leaves them on an island by themselves. They have a D line that can't stop the run which means they get no safety help over the top.

I think they did pretty well last week when Jaxson Dart single-handedly changed the team attitude and allowed them to play with the lead.

Bottom line is I think those kids (including OG) were set up to fail. It's really f****** sad.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I don’t understand why people think the coaches shouldn’t play the younger kids?
What, are they afraid the kids might embarrass them?
I can really only think of one. When you make a binary selection, by definition, you've divided the team.

The best players should play. Duh, we probably all believe that. Apparently, that hasn't been happening. I can't see a switch being made to youth over experience "just because". How do you sell that to the players about to be benched and how do you get their buy-in to keep supporting the "team"?

What if the players (young or otherwise) see this as a punishment to players they like or respect? Not everything is in the player's control. So if you punish them and the coaches just keep on going with no responsibility, that's an unintended consequence.

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Yes, bring back competition Tuesday. Every position should be up for grabs. Nobody should be coach’s love of his life.

I think there is no doubt that Dart should be the starter when he is back.

Let the Korey dude start and move Drake back to DE.

Put Dedich at center.

ITS and Steel definitely should be on shaky grounds as starters.

Last edited:

Jpltrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I think Bohn deserves the benefit of the doubt. Like I said when Helton was hired, I’d support him until I couldn’t. Couldn’t sailed about four years ago.
I understand the consideration but like Helton there are already signs of incompetence. Some of us recognized the signs with Helton because of our experience and understanding. As time passed and our concerns continued to be validated we were more certain of Helton’s lack of ability.

The same thing is happening with Bohn. Can he shake it with a great HC selection…of course. But I’m not optimistic this will end well.

ATR32

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah, unfortunately my son did, too, at school. Most of his friends/teachers were Domers and I had been bantering with the one of the teachers at the conference that night. (Of course, Halloween can fall on a Thursday, but it was September for sure. ND still stunk back then, but didn't stop him from needling my son the next day.) We DID have a bad game on Halloween to Oregon in Eugene in 2009, but that wasn't considered an upset. And we had the upset at Oregon State on Halloween weekend (but not the 31st) in 2006.
It was a Thursday night. Quizz Rodgers talking junk to Cush (and backing it up).
Halloween massacre was the next season, in Eugene. We got run out of Autzen. Pretty much signified the end of PC era/dominance.

Reactions: aimeedee

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I understand the consideration but like Helton there are already signs of incompetence. Some of us recognized the signs with Helton because of our experience and understanding. As time passed and our concerns continued to be validated we were more certain of Helton’s lack of ability.

The same thing is happening with Bohn. Can he shake it with a great HC selection…of course. But I’m not optimistic this will end well.
I think he should also get credit for some of the structural changes he has made. He is also operating under some pretty stiff restrictions on what he can actually do. I say let’s support him until we can’t

Trojanfaninbama

Aug 11, 2021

I’m rooting for JT too. I wanted him over Slovis back when. I want GA to kick Alabama’s ***. Just don’t tell my wife. She’s a Auburn fan.

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
I’m rooting for JT too. I wanted him over Slovis back when. I want GA to kick Alabama’s ***. Just don’t tell my wife. She’s a Auburn fan.
How the hell does she not want Alabama to lose then? I'm not a southern guy but isn't Auburn Alabama like USC UCLA? I figure she'd want anybody to kick this s*** out of Alabama.

Reactions: Pooh Bah

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
How the hell does she not want Alabama to lose then? I'm not a southern guy but isn't Auburn Alabama like USC UCLA? I figure she'd want anybody to kick this s*** out of Alabama.
UGA and Auburn is known as the deep South's oldest rivalry. They have been playing each other since 1892.

Serious hate.

Reactions: Pooh Bah

Trojanfaninbama

Aug 11, 2021
Oh no she hates Alabama more. I meant don’t tell her I’m rooting for GA which is Auburn 2nd rival team. They play every year even though GA is in the East and Auburn is in the West.

Pooh Bah

Sep 7, 2021
Some posters may not be aware of who you are, but those words coming from you, have more weight than they do coming from me.
Out of curiosity…Would it meant as much if I posted those words?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Hey they doing better then our team lol. She’s a true fan roots for them no matter their record. She’s not a bandwagoner like most Alabama fans.
Indeed they are. My daughter is in her 3rd year at UGA. She is a very happy camper.

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
Was there really an ad. on the video board asking fans to be nice to players and to not criticize them? Or was that poster just joking around?

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Well said and I agree. The starters have proven they are not worthy, give the backups a chance, how much worse can it get? Donte was right, neither the coaches or players did their job last night! As has been the case for years halftime adjustments are non-existent? Why?

Can't even find the energy to say Fight On right now, the taste in my mouth, sickening.
I think most of the best players on the team are freshmen and sophomores anyway. One ray of hope was that we had a Trigg sighting last night. Might as well.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I can really only think of one. When you make a binary selection, by definition, you've divided the team.

The best players should play. Duh, we probably all believe that. Apparently, that hasn't been happening. I can't see a switch being made to youth over experience "just because". How do you sell that to the players about to be benched and how do you get their buy-in to keep supporting the "team"?

What if the players (young or otherwise) see this as a punishment to players they like or respect? Not everything is in the player's control. So if you punish them and the coaches just keep on going with no responsibility, that's an unintended consequence.
There are already issues on this team as far as who is playing and who isn’t and why.

There was a younger player who had to be talked down off the ledge from transferring after the Stanford game.

After what I saw the other night, I don’t really care about what messages get sent. It’s not about this year. This year is beyond salvageable. I’m talking about next year and the year after. Get the younger players on the field NOW.
Because if they just keep playing the Juniors and Seniors, because they are juniors and seniors, and because maybe they are a little better than their younger teammates, we are doomed. Because they’ll be gone and the new Coach will have two weeks in Spring ball and two weeks in fall camp to get this isht show back on track, and having 10 or 12 players who got most of the playing time the year before is going to help that tremendously.

It may not even be that many. I don’t know, I’m not a detail guy, lol.

It’s not about this year and the older players, it’s about the future and whether there is one.

Bottom line, if the older players are playing because they are far better than the younger ones, the point is moot, because we are fvcked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey10

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
There are already issues on this team as far as who is playing and who isn’t and why.

There was a younger player who had to be talked down off the ledge from transferring after the Stanford game.

After what I saw the other night, I don’t really care about what messages get sent. It’s not about this year. This year is beyond salvageable. I’m talking about next year and the year after. Get the younger players on the field NOW.
Because if they just keep playing the Juniors and Seniors, because they are juniors and seniors, and because maybe they are a little better than their younger teammates, we are doomed. Because they’ll be gone and the new Coach will have two weeks in Spring ball and two weeks in fall camp to get this isht show back on track, and having 10 or 12 players who got most of the playing time the year before is going to help that tremendously.

It may not even be that many. I don’t know, I’m not a detail guy, lol.

It’s not about this year and the older players, it’s about the future and whether there is one.

Bottom line, if the older players are playing because they are far better than the younger ones, the point is moot, because we are fvcked.
When you are losing, there are always issues about playing time, starters, etc. I get that.

And I don't disagree that this season is not salvageable. I guess I'm suggesting that it could get even worse, perhaps with more than one younger player looking to transfer. Program implosion isn't an impossibility. Next year may or may not end up better as a result. As I said, it was the only good reason I could think of for not doing it. The consequences aren't entirely predictable.

Play the best players and remove all doubt. If it's a draw or even close? Sure, play the younger ones. Makes sense.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
When you are losing, there are always issues about playing time, starters, etc. I get that.

And I don't disagree that this season is not salvageable. I guess I'm suggesting that it could get even worse, perhaps with more than one younger player looking to transfer. Program implosion isn't an impossibility. Next year may or may not end up better as a result. As I said, it was the only good reason I could think of for not doing it. The consequences aren't entirely predictable.

Play the best players and remove all doubt. If it's a draw or even close? Sure, play the younger ones. Makes sense.
Yes. I can only say that maybe we will have less younger players transfer the more playing time they get this year.

Reactions: Pudly76

Hockey10

Aug 24, 2017
Well you're essentially saying they should be benched. I just don't think that's fair.
Being fare, playing favorites, and making promises is the reason we are in this position. Maybe be don't bench everyone but we should definitely have open competition for starting positions each weak like PC use to do. When a player ITS gets burned all game one week then he should have to earn his spot. When you have a player like Bullock he should have the chance to compete to start, and when you have a player like McKenzie not wanting to practice even when the coaching staff feels he cleared and should practice then you bench him and have competition for his spot. Players dropping passes, missing tackles, and flexing after tackles on 10yrd plus runs all need to be benched and a new mindset needs to be brought in. Play hard, No mistakes, and no dumb penalties or you don't play no matter who you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Latest posts