Share Your Favorite Old Fashioned Recipe

Outsider Jim

Sep 20, 2022
The Old Fashioned is a classic cocktail...with a lot of nuances. Bourbon or Rye? Sugar Cube or Simple Syrup? Orange Peel or Cherry?

Share your go-to recipe.

My rule: the drink should include a bourbon/rye that you enjoy drinking neat . . . but should only cost around $30 a bottle.

Jim's Old Fashioned

2 oz. Buffalo Trace Bourbon (really 3 oz.)
2-3 dashes Angostura bitters
1 tsp. water
1 sugar cube
1 large ice cube
1 orange peel twist garnish

Add sugar cube to empty glass. Add 2-3 dashes of bitters. Add 1 tsp. water. Muddle. Add large ice cube. Pour Buffalo Trace over ice cube. Stir for 20 seconds. Twist orange peel over drink to express. Add peel to glass. Enjoy!

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
The Old Fashioned is a classic cocktail...with a lot of nuances. Bourbon or Rye? Sugar Cube or Simple Syrup? Orange Peel or Cherry?

Share your go-to recipe.

My rule: the drink should include a bourbon/rye that you enjoy drinking neat . . . but should only cost around $30 a bottle.

Jim's Old Fashioned

1 tsp. water
1 sugar cube
1 large ice cube

Add sugar cube to empty glass. Add 2-3 dashes of bitters. Add 1 tsp. water. Muddle. Add large ice cube. Pour Buffalo Trace over ice cube. Stir for 20 seconds. Twist orange peel over drink to express. Add peel to glass. Enjoy!
Simple syrup to replace the sugar cube/tsp. water?

Reactions: Outsider Jim

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
I enjoy a cocktail, but sometimes enjoy more than one cocktail. While I do take some pleasure in the ritual of dropping bitters into a sugar cube, muddling, stirring and maybe even smoking a glass, sometimes I can't be slowed down and just need another. To cure this problem, I like to pre-batch Old Fashioneds for groups (or mass consumption) at home or away. This is how I do it:

1 bottle of Rittenhouse Rye
1 oz simple syrup
1 oz Angostura bitters
1 oz Orange bitters

I prefer at least a BIB rye in my Old Fashioneds. IMO, the rye stands up to bitters better than bourbon. Pour 3 oz of rye out of the bottle to be used later. Add 1 oz of 1:1 ratio simple syrup, 1 oz of Angostura bitters and 1 oz of Orange bitters into the bottle. Screw on the cap and give it a gentle shake. Pour over a chunky piece of ice with your choice of garnish.

If you were smart, you took that first 3 oz and made yourself and extra stiff Old Fashioned to celebrate your big bottle of Instant Old Fashioned. Feel free to substitute Rittenhouse for Overholt rye. If you insist on bourbon, I prefer a nice high rye bourbon like Old Grandad, Barton or Old Forester BIB or Four Roses yellow label if you prefer a lower proof. For batches, I try to stick with screw caps.

The Truman's used Wild Turkey 101 in their Old Fashioned I read, minus the cherry and orange. Bess Truman supposedly said she didn't want a "fruit punch". Lol

JustinHopkins

Scoop Duck Publisher
Staff member
Jul 21, 2021

Share your go-to recipe.

Jim's Old Fashioned

1 tsp. water
1 sugar cube
1 large ice cube

I do add a cherry (usually already soaked in bourbon) to mine. Because I like the cherry right before the last sip. Otherwise great recipe, can use McKenna or Old Forester as well. Or Bulleit Rye.

Outsider Jim

Sep 20, 2022
I do add a cherry (usually already soaked in bourbon) to mine. Because I like the cherry right before the last sip. Otherwise great recipe, can use McKenna or Old Forester as well. Or Bulleit Rye.
That McKenna 10 is a solid sipper, if you can find it around MSRP. I just got a bottle in Nashville for $44, but saw it for $130 down in Florida a couple of weeks ago. Crazy.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
So....going a little off script here.....during the onset of Covid, when I was doing a lot of "experimentation", with cocktails, I ran across this...

My presenatation was not as good as this guy, but the end result was tasty...

Bartdog

Aug 8, 2022
I did this for Christmas Eve last year. Enjoyed it quite a bit. The times for toasting the pecans are way too long. Just watch them and take out before burnt. I ruined about 1.5 cups of pecans before I got it right. Also, after removing the bourbon from the pecans, probably shouldn't eat them.

1664377908285.png

AlpineNole

Aug 27, 2022

Share your go-to recipe.

Jim's Old Fashioned

1 tsp. water
1 sugar cube
1 large ice cube

My recipe is similar but I don’t bother with the cube. Just a tsp of sugar, a few dashes of angostura and angostura orange bitters, eyeball the water, muddle well, add the buffalo trace (eyeball…keep going), add ice and stir. Then pour over whiskey stones and add a couple luxardo cherries.