Since we are talking food...what fast food chains do you love and what ones you wont you eat

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
Sadly, Clifton's Cafeteria shuttered in 2018...:( Only two Pioneer Chicken restaurants still operate. If anyone is a Showtime Lakers fan then Pioneer Chicken is somewhere in their memory bank.
Loved the Lakers back then. Now I have no use for them. That is another story. Sad about Clifton's. It was such a cool place to go eat. You posted about Sambos. Wow, that is a blast from the past. They are not still around are they? We used to go Bob's Big Boy. They made great hamburgers back in the day.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Loved the Lakers back then. Now I have no use for them. That is another story. Sad about Clifton's. It was such a cool place to go eat. You posted about Sambos. Wow, that is a blast from the past. They are not still around are they? We used to go Bob's Big Boy. They made great hamburgers back in the day.
I loved Bob’s milkshakes too..

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Does anyone remember Pioneer Chicken. They used to have one in the Southbay years ago. My wife and I used to eat that back in the day. I can't tolerate real greasy food anymore. Although not a fast food, I also used to eat at Clifton's Cafeteria in downtown L.A. I used to go there with my grandmother when I was a kid. It was the rage back then. Is it still around?

Pioneer was good stuff…..in Gardena, for me….not quite Golden Bird, but good.

My aunt used to take us to Clifton’s back in the day, also….maybe when I was ~10 years old in the mid-1960s….liked going there as a fun experience cafeteria.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Does anyone remember Pioneer Chicken. They used to have one in the Southbay years ago. My wife and I used to eat that back in the day.
I tried Pioneer Chicken in the early 70’s when they opened one near me. I had been seeing the commercials on TV and requested my parents get us food from there instead of KFC.

I never requested it again. I didn’t care for it at all.

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
I tried Pioneer Chicken in the early 70’s when they opened one near me. I had been seeing the commercials on TV and requested my parents get us food from there instead of KFC.

I never requested it again. I didn’t care for it at all.
I thought it was a little too greasy but at the time my stomach could tolerate it. It was crunchy as I recall.

Reactions: Pudly76

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
Yeah, it was crunchy and I was more accustomed to the equally greasy but soft textured 11 herbs and spices of KFC. I still love KFC, but I avoid it for health reasons.
I can't eat KFC anymore. The grease tears me up. I have tried their chicken bowl which has mash potatoes gravy, corn and pieces of KFC in it. Not as bad of results. Have not been in KFC in about 5 years.

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
I think that was trojandave that posted about a bunch of old timey restaurants from a bygone era. I have no idea what a Sambo is other than it being a derogatory slur about blacks.

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
I had been seeing the commercials on TV and requested my parents get us food from there instead of KFC.
KFC has gone back to calling itself Kentucky Fried Chicken. The hipster KFC usage got shelved. Thank goodness. Maybe they'll bring back the old brown and white rotating bucket in the sky too!

Reactions: Cacadetoro

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
KFC has gone back to calling itself Kentucky Fried Chicken. The hipster KFC usage got shelved. Thank goodness. Maybe they'll bring back the old brown and white rotating bucket in the sky too!
Yeah, well….I’m not typing all that out. It’s still KFC to me. 😁

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Ah, Bakers, a local favorite. I actually worked at one location through high school and into college, and I’ll still willingly eat their food. Great choice if you can’t make up your mind or, like me, have a large family where some want burgers and come burritos.
I became a regular at Bakers 30+ years ago when I was doing a lot of construction work out in the San Bernardino, Highland and Redlands areas. That was back when you could get a “Mama Meal” (combo burrito, fries, drink) for around $3.50. It became my favorite fast food.

That’s cool that you worked at one. As you know, they are only in San Bernardino County, and I still go there when I encounter one.

Reactions: rgf1999

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
Does anyone remember Pioneer Chicken. They used to have one in the Southbay years ago. My wife and I used to eat that back in the day. I can't tolerate real greasy food anymore. Although not a fast food, I also used to eat at Clifton's Cafeteria in downtown L.A. I used to go there with my grandmother when I was a kid. It was the rage back then. Is it still around?
Yes, there used to be one on Gaffey Street in San Pedro.

Reactions: Cacadetoro

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
I liked the Big Boy Combo with a hot fudge sundae cake.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I became a regular at Bakers 30+ years ago when I was doing a lot of construction work out in the San Bernardino, Highland and Redlands areas. That was back when you could get a “Mama Meal” (combo burrito, fries, drink) for around $3.50. It became my favorite fast food.

That’s cool that you worked at one. As you know, they are only in San Bernardino County, and I still go there when I encounter one.
There’s some in riverside and corona too..

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
There’s some in riverside and corona too..
There is one in Corona, you are right. I’ve been there. I didn’t know about Riverside.

Neil Baker said that he wasn’t going to go outside of San Bernardino County with them, but they must have expanded out of county after he passed away.

• Wow

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
I remember on of the first MacDonalds in Downey. I played football at Bosco back then. We would go there after the games and could stuff ourselves for under a buck. On Bellflower Blvd they had Fosters Freeze we would go to also. That McDonalds when I last saw it had 2 Golden Arches and a counter. It had not changed in over 60 years. It seemed back then their burgers tasted better. I have not eat any of their burgers in 25 or 30 years.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I remember on of the first MacDonalds in Downey. I played football at Bosco back then. We would go there after the games and could stuff ourselves for under a buck. On Bellflower Blvd they had Fosters Freeze we would go to also. That McDonalds when I last saw it had 2 Golden Arches and a counter. It had not changed in over 60 years. It seemed back then their burgers tasted better. I have not eat any of their burgers in 25 or 30 years.
Foster freeze and Tasty freeze were faves of mine along with A&W. The last one (a&w) I remember was off the hi-way in Atascadero..

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I liked the old A&W drive-ins where they came to your car. Momma, Poppa, Baby Burgers, lol.
Yup, they great floats. Remember going after swim when I was a kid. Burgers were great. In high school they had one in the middle of the parking lot.. built the fence around them.

Shameless

Dec 22, 2021
Remember when Jack-in-the box was cited for using Kangaroo meat(imported from Austrailia) in their hamburgers. In the 80's I believe.
My nephew from Colorado just loves Chipotle. tells me theres not much legit mex food where he lives. To me its ok but just strikes me as gringo/mex food. With so many amazing authentic family run mexican places in SO Cal I like the hole in the wall joints.
Damn nice enjoy eating Jack in the box out in Colorado. There aren’t any on the East Coast

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
I had a bad Tommy's experience about 40 years ago and never went back.
After I picked up a friend (DUI) in front of the Walnut LASD station, he had his shoes stolen while in the drunk tank; he felt obligated to take me to Tommy's at 0700.

I really did not want anything but ordered a chili-cheese fries to make him feel "even" on the day.
Ate a few then noticed antennas rising from the cheese slop.
A wasp had his last breath and was staring at me.

Found out this friend passed in 2020 at 55 y/o.
Bittersweet memories of fast food past.

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017

Then you also remember the days of the old dollar meal. Burrito, taco, or tostada, small fries, and drink, $1 + tax. I remember as a kid thinking it was great being allowed to order 2 or 3 of those meals as I got older and could eat more, and it was still dirt cheap, even for back then. :)

Yeah, I worked at one for years, and I also worked for a local gen. contractor who did remodels in many Baker's interiors. There were days during vacation from college when I'd work at the restaurant during the day, and then be at another store for an all-nighter construction job installing new tables, etc.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020

Didn’t know about Clifton’s closing. :(

My grandparents took me there when I was a kid.

• Sad

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Then you also remember the days of the old dollar meal. Burrito, taco, or tostada, small fries, and drink, $1 + tax.
I sure do. I also remember when the $1 Halloween coupon books included a free tostada coupon, which were $1.29 at the time. People were buying the coupon books then getting their tostada right there because it was cheaper to do it that way. Bakers soon stopped including a tostada coupon in the book for that reason.

Bummer, lol.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
Hey, you are the one that began throwing insults and started in with politics.

You are probably too dumb to even think beyond your little Democrat-and-Republican labels and catch phrases.

Feel free to continue getting into a long line for terrible, soft fries and what amounts to a ground-up, poor cut of meat on simple bread with tasteless cheese. You sure do know class, don't you?
Wow dude you are a piece of work...You are a real pissy *****.......you go on ignore

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
Hey, you are the one that began throwing insults and started in with politics.

You are probably too dumb to even think beyond your little Democrat-and-Republican labels and catch phrases.

Feel free to continue getting into a long line for terrible, soft fries and what amounts to a ground-up, poor cut of meat on simple bread with tasteless cheese. You sure do know class, don't you?
YOU ARE THE ONE that got pissy first...asking me to define fresh and ....ok you have a boner for in and out good for you idiot. You are Really weird dude...kind of scary with your actual threats........I am placing you on ignore....you dont represent the normal peeps on this site

• Haha
Reactions: TrojanGiftHorse

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
YOU ARE THE ONE that got pissy first...asking me to define fresh and ....ok you have a boner for in and out good for you idiot. You are Really weird dude...kind of scary with your actual threats........I am placing you on ignore....you dont represent the normal peeps on this site

Dude, just do it already. Cut all this "whoa is me, you're so mean" drama and threatening to block me but not follow through. You're boring everybody else and ruining your own thread.

On the internet, as in real life, you reap what you sow. You don't come out insulting people and not expect blowback. You could have simply responded initially with "OK, thanks for your opinion, I like it because of this and that," and the conversation could have ended amicably. No, you had to draw political lines over hamburgers, throw insults, and claim that people are threatening you (and so on and so forth) (especially when the whole history of the conversation is present above for all to see).

Last edited:

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
I liked the old A&W drive-ins where they came to your car. Momma, Poppa, Baby Burgers, lol.
Sonic has that feature but you order from a menu at the parking stall and the hop brings the food to your car.

Roller skates! :love:

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
Foster freeze and Tasty freeze were faves of mine along with A&W. The last one (a&w) I remember was off the hi-way in Atascadero..
I took my nephews to the Fosters Freeze in old Torrance after the spring game. That was the first time I had a chocolate malt in many many moons.

• Love

Latest posts