So what does Jon Sokolof have to say?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I want to again remind us all that the singular job of a sports agent is to get his clients more money. At their current job or a new one. By any means necessary.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I wrote it a couple of weeks ago: Lane was never leaving Oxford for the Plains. Not in his plans. He and Sexton have played this perfectly. - 9 million multi-year contract AT OLE MISS!!! Everything he needs is in Oxford, if he wants to compete for the SEC title. He may even challenge for it one year.
But if he starts phoning it in (which... he probably won't**), OM will be hard pressed to buy him out and they will do what they can to avoid the bad press.
And he will always be a coach other programs will be looking at. The better he does at Ole Miss the more likely he gets the job and the dollars he really wants.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Breaking News: TSUN Files Chapter 7 rendering all OM Assets be Liquidated and Kiffin's Buy Out Clause declared Null & Void.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if his source was Kiffin himself. He’s been playing this thing the whole time to get a huge raise. I believe he’ll eventually leave UM but it’s going to be somewhere bigger than Auburn.

The wcbi kid gets some egg on his face but he’s also gotten more publicity from this than he’s have ever gotten otherwise. In a position like his, any publicity is good publicity. So it’s a win-win for him & Kiffin

Journalism 101 is you don’t run with a major scoop unless you have multiple independent sources. If he talked to Kiffin and Cohen (or individuals close to each one) and they both said the same thing, break the story. But if you only talk to Kiffin or a proxy for Kiffin, he can tell you he’s taking the job, but it may not be offered or he may be bullshitting or whatever. You only talk to Cohen, he can say Kiffin told him he’s coming, he thinks he’s coming, or he could be bullshitting, too.

That’s why you never see Pete Thamel or Adam Schefter or any other real journalist ever look foolish from having to walk something back. They get multiple accounts from all sides of a situation before breaking a huge story. This talk of whether his “source” is Kiffin or Cohen is silly, because there can’t be only one source.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Journalism 101 is you don’t run with a major scoop unless you have multiple independent sources. If he talked to Kiffin and Cohen (or individuals close to each one) and they both said the same thing, break the story. But if you only talk to Kiffin or a proxy for Kiffin, he can tell you he’s taking the job, but it may not be offered or he may be bullshitting or whatever. You only talk to Cohen, he can say Kiffin told him he’s coming, he thinks he’s coming, or he could be bullshitting, too.

That’s why you never see Pete Thamel or Adam Schefter or any other real journalist ever look foolish from having to walk something back. They get multiple accounts from all sides of a situation before breaking a huge story. This talk of whether his “source” is Kiffin or Cohen is silly, because there can’t be only one source.
You can bet Kiffin and Cohen aren’t taking calls from the WCBI cell phone.

The Thamels, Dellengers and Schefters of the world have access to people with real information.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

What if the agent was leaking to sources to get his client more money? If I was the agent I'd do it.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What if the agent was leaking to sources to get his client more money? If I was the agent I'd do it.

That’s BS that a real journalist would see right through. At least enough to not go guns a-blazing straight to Twitter with a “this is definitely happening” mic drop.