Sources: Urban considering resigning as head coach of Jaguars.

kasrkin

Sep 9, 2017
Do you think someone like Urban wants to be known for running away from the NFL after 1 game or even 1 season? Chipster and Saban had multiple seasons to try to hack it and I'm sure it rankles them that they couldn't make it at the highest level while others could (Pete). I can't see a competitor like Urban just bouncing like that this soon - he may not make it in the end but he's not leaving this soon.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
Stop caring what the world thinks. What has caring about what the world thinks got us the last 9 minths. In the garbage hole. Just win baby. Gotta love Al. And he was an sc boy. Al would grab Urban yesterday . Winning is all that matters , except to the left which doesnt even think there should be winners because that would mean there were losers and that would be hurtful.. screw the left and hire Meyer and leave the cryers to their safe spaces and puppy dog videos.

Just out of curiosity, when did you attend USC?

Reactions: Hashtags

SailorGabe

Aug 29, 2021
Ok now we are gonna see if i am correct or not. If Urban is available and folt passes on him then you will know that herb feminism and letism are the reason and that I am correct about leftists in general and folt in particular. But if she agrees to Urban I will happily, and most humbly stand corrected.... but dont count on it. Im pretty good at reading people on the left.
What is your deal with politics. Dude it’s football. Keep your stupid politics to yourself.

Tod78

Aug 24, 2017
The first rule about internet rumors is very simple:

Those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know.

That's not to say that the truth doesn't ever leak out. But if a rumor did come out that was based on actual fact it would just look like the previous twenty rumors that were based on nonsense and dreams. There is no banner that says "THIS ONE YOU CAN BELIEVE", and the fact that you want a particular rumor to be true doesn't make it true.

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
I'm sure the Jags don't want distractions like a million questions about whether or not Urban is considering a move to USC. You know that's all he would be asked. Oh and does he hate the NFL>
Good point.

A carefully worded press release would be enough to dispel any rumors... and that hasn't been produced yet... 🤔 ;)

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
That’s non sequitur. There are folks that have followed SC sports, given more in donations, yet never stepped inside a classroom that true Trojans. It doesn’t make them less of a Trojan, they simply are not alum.

It's a simple question absent any foundation, therefore it's not a non sequitur by definition.

Jim Steele

Aug 24, 2017
I’m not buying the Meyer to SC story - just yet. But if the rumors are true and Meyer does resign soon from the Jags then the timing between that and Helton’s firing would seem way too coincidental.
I'm not buying it either. But if true, hire Meyer and have Donte learn under him as head coach in waiting. Meyer's got to have a limited shelf life at this point. In 3 years, the team is tough, disciplined and talented. Meyer goes back to the studio, and Donte keeps the train rolling.

Reactions: TrojanIndo

ScottSchrader

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 21, 2021
The first rule about internet rumors is very simple:

Those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know.

That's not to say that the truth doesn't ever leak out. But if a rumor did come out that was based on actual fact it would just look like the previous twenty rumors that were based on nonsense and dreams. There is no banner that says "THIS ONE YOU CAN BELIEVE", and the fact that you want a particular rumor to be true doesn't make it true.

This early in a coaching search very very few will know jack, other than offering a bunch of names. Some might actually be contacted. Unless a coach is an assistant or unemployed, they have an entire season left and won't want their name mentioned publicly.

BuTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
You can do way worse than live in Manhattan Beach, make $10M per year and own college football in LA. I'd assume he'd seriously consider it if he left Jacksonville.

Ojaitrojan

Mar 1, 2019
I was getting my MBA from the University of Tennessee during Fulmer's last year. All anyone could talk about was Jon Gruden coming to coach. Like it was all up to the admins to make an offer and it was done. For years it was this way. This board is turning into Vols fans, circa 2008. Urban has given 0 indication that he'd come coach here, so stop with the assumption that he was ever ours to get.

Reactions: Redskins Rick

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Urban isn’t coming and let’s be honest he seems to be a bit of a train wreck right now. Last thing we need is for this to blow up in spectacular fashion. Fickell is the best way forward IMO. He checks all the boxes

Agree. Even for all his AAs, HTs, wins, conference and national championship hardware, etc., having someone of his low, oily character in this city, running this program, would be a program-killer just waiting to happen.

I'm onboard with Fickell, Fleck or Matt Campbell. Any one of those and I'm unreservedly 100% all-in.

Reactions: SailorGabe

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
I was getting my MBA from the University of Tennessee during Fulmer's last year. All anyone could talk about was Jon Gruden coming to coach. Like it was all up to the admins to make an offer and it was done. For years it was this way. This board is turning into Vols fans, circa 2008. Urban has given 0 indication that he'd come coach here, so stop with the assumption that he was ever ours to get.
He was an easy fish to catch. His wife loves los angeles and as you know the wife is the boss

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I'm not buying it either. But if true, hire Meyer and have Donte learn under him as head coach in waiting. Meyer's got to have a limited shelf life at this point. In 3 years, the team is tough, disciplined and talented. Meyer goes back to the studio, and Donte keeps the train rolling.
Yup. Pure, unadulterated bull-puckey.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Ride Fly

Aug 24, 2017
Are you talking about right this moment? Because there was a lot talk last year, by people in the know and close to the situation, before he took the Jax job, that he was interested in coming here.

Reactions: Redondo Beach SC

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
Are you talking about right this moment? Because there was a lot talk last year, by people in the know and close to the situation, before he took the Jax job, that he was interested in coming here.
Cowherd put out a podcast yesterday on his Volume network where he explicitly stated Urban Meyer was interested before he took the NFL job. Cowherd even mentioned having dinner with Mike Bohn. I get it, some people don't like his opinions. I don't agree with all of them either. Nevertheless he's one of the biggest sports personalities in the country. I doubt he'd lie about Urban (with whom he worked with at Fox and has had on his show several times) and he certainly wouldn't lie publicly on the record about having dinner with Mike Bohn.

Reactions: Ride Fly

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Just imagine. Close your eyes and imagine waking up one morning, settling down with your favorite coffee mug, turning on the TV, and THERE IT IS, in Eastern Standard Time:

”BREAKING NEWS…….Urban Meyer Stuns NFL, Resigns from Jacksonville to Coach at USC”

I had a similar jolt the other day with the Helton news….my fingers shook uncontrollably and my grin conspicuously widened as I dialed up my iPad to WeAreSC. Quite an energy boost to the morning. This would quadruple that.

I have little hope…seems bad timing AGAIN for Urban….but there was little hope Helton would be fired at Game 2, too. Mysterious ways…..

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Urban a sure thing for a N.C. so SC will do otherwise.
Urban is not leaving the NFL after one season lol

Plus even if Urban does get hired, how long does he stay? will he have another headache? another scandal? how much control will he get over the program? questions on questions.

901 Club

Aug 24, 2017
Has an NFL coach ever quit after "one" game?

Well, Bill Belichick quit after one day.

Bill Belichick spent a single day as head coach of the New York Jets -- Jan. 4, 2000.

After working as a defensive coordinator for Bill Parcells in the late 1990s, he got the job when Parcells left to coach the Dallas Cowboys.

During his introductory conference, however, Belichick announced his resignation from the Jets, and officially replaced Pete Carroll as the new head coach of the New England Patriots.

Reactions: TrojanHorse

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Do you think someone like Urban wants to be known for running away from the NFL after 1 game or even 1 season?
With his health history, I really doubt that this would be a major concern to Meyer. He clearly has a way with college athletes, half of whom are still teenagers, which is much different than pro athletes with fat contracts.

And he’s not getting any younger. If he is finding that NFL coaching is not what it’s cracked up to be and is only causing him unneeded stress, I could definitely see him walking away from it to something he’s much more comfortable with.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
It would ruin his reputation for good, do not see it happening
Meyer’s? I doubt it it would hurt him much if at all, especially if he hopped back to college and had another run of success. The Jacksonville thing would be written off as just a bad situation.

Reactions: Eltrojano

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
These types of threads are but a tick away from all the epic recruiting threads in the past...where fans delude themselves into thinking so-&-so recruit was spotted at LAX, recruit commented he likes In & Out...sooooo, you know! Recruit said he likes sunshine - you know what that means! Recruit has a 2nd cousin in LA - done deal! Recruit said academics are high on his list (what recruit doesn't say that), but somehow that recruit ended up at ASU...go figure!

People believe what they want to believe. So sure, heard Urb mention he was CRAVING a Coffee Bean ice-blended the other day. I'm on board - Urb or bust baby!

Ojaitrojan

Mar 1, 2019
All I ever heard was, "A friend of mine, high up in HH said..." and other such BS. I've not heard anything, ever, more substantial than high school-esque rumors.

mickhooligan

Aug 27, 2017
Do you think someone like Urban wants to be known for running away from the NFL after 1 game or even 1 season? Chipster and Saban had multiple seasons to try to hack it and I'm sure it rankles them that they couldn't make it at the highest level while others could (Pete). I can't see a competitor like Urban just bouncing like that this soon - he may not make it in the end but he's not leaving this soon.
Saban didn’t finish one season with Dolphins.