Special Teams

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
This year we've allowed 5 kickoff returns of 30 or more yards, which is tied with Memphis for most in the nation in FBS and the worst among Power 5 schools.

Riley doesn't have dedicated a ST Coach and didn't in Norman either. My position has been that one isn't needed, though my confidence in that position might lower with continued poor results. I do know field position actually can be a bit overrated after looking into the risk/rewards of punting and going for it on 4th down and views regarding it tend to be rooted in old assumptions and beliefs.

Personally, Jordan Addison scares me on PR. He did well last year at Pitt, but this year he has 3 returns for 4 yards and I believe he's bobbled/muffed two of those. He doesn't have great hands, but at least his drop issues at WR don't seem to be resurfacing.

----------------------------------------------------------
At OU:

Folks were on Riley about his ST after his last game vs OK St, a 33-37 loss during which OU had serious ST issues including giving up a 100 yard KOR, before he escaped in the darkness of night to Los Angeles.

AT OU he also preferred to fair catch a ton.

Last year, Mario Williams led the OU with only 5 kickoff returns. The next two guys had 4 and 2. OU's longest kickoff return all season was just 31 yards.

OU also averaged just 5.0 yards on punt returns and 20.0 on kickoff returns — both among the lowest totals in school history.

On Kickoff returns they gave up 6 of 30 or more which was among the worse in the nation (10 teams gave up 6, 5 gave up 7, 2 gave up 9, and 1 gave up 10), as well as 2 of over 90 yards (7 teams gave up 2, 2 gave up 3, and 1 gave up 4) including the aforementioned 100 yarder and a 99 yarder vs Kansas State.

Last edited:

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Interesting. I don't think Pete Carroll had a special teams coach either. Probably should have but I don't think he did.

This USC team isn't performing well on special teams. It's up to the Head Coach and what he feels is best for the team. Maybe he needs one. Maybe?

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
Kick-off and kick-off return teams better improve or they will cost us at least one game.
That 100 yarder vs OK State certainly made a difference , as they ended up losing by 4 in,Riley's last game as OU coach.

I disagree with fair catching everything as I feel that it makes no sense at all. A kickoff return is an opportunity to not only score in one play, but also get advantageous field position to start a drive. Defaulting to fair catching is being overly safe and limiting big play opportunities for your team. Ultimately the say 5 yard difference in field position from trying to make a play and getting to the 20 vs. fair catching and starting at the 25 is not something that is going to change the game in any significant way. It's a risk/reward situation and I feel the risk of fielding kicks (not ones deep into the end zone - doing so when it makes sense) is worth the possible reward and the points that would be gained.

In addition, a decent return gives the team a boost as the offense heads out on the first play of the drive. Being active on returns also allows the.many reserves typically on these units to feel involved and not just he standing on the sidelines cheering for guys or just going through the motions knowing there won't be a return .

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
We absolutely need our kicker to kick into the end-zone.
I have seem him do it many times....and he should be doing every single time. When he does not, we almost never get the returner down inside the 25. More likely the 35.

Reactions: jaycee993

CP619

Aug 24, 2017
Much, much, much more concerned about the defense. I can't imagine losing a game because of ST - with the exception of losing on a missed FG, which I wouldn't blame ST.

I feel like CLR has some sort of analytics that shows the insignificance of ST. Anyone know if that exists?

Last edited:

jjg4sc

Aug 24, 2017
Interesting. I don't think Pete Carroll had a special teams coach either. Probably should have but I don't think he did.

This USC team isn't performing well on special teams. It's up to the Head Coach and what he feels is best for the team. Maybe he needs one. Maybe?
We had Reggie Bush. 😂✌️ Special teams meeting, “ok, Reggie’s gonna catch it and do Reggie things, don’t block anyone in the back!” The latter part definitely applies to this team!

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
We had Reggie Bush. 😂✌️ Special teams meeting, “ok, Reggie’s gonna catch it and do Reggie things, don’t block anyone in the back!” The latter part definitely applies to this team!
Set, and SPIKE! Score! 😆

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
This year we've allowed 5 kickoff returns of 30 or more yards, which is tied with Memphis for most in the nation in FBS and the worst among Power 5 schools.

Riley doesn't have dedicated a ST Coach and didn't in Norman either. My position has been that one isn't needed, though my confidence in that position might lower with continued poor results. I do know field position actually can be a bit overrated after looking into the risk/rewards of punting and going for it on 4th down and views regarding it tend to be rooted in old assumptions and beliefs.

Personally, Jordan Addison scares me on PR. He did well last year at Pitt, but this year he has 3 returns for 4 yards and I believe he's bobbled/muffed two of those. He doesn't have great hands, but at least his drop issues at WR don't seem to be resurfacing.

----------------------------------------------------------
At OU:

Folks were on Riley about his ST after his last game vs OK St, a 33-37 loss during which OU had serious ST issues including giving up a 100 yard KOR, before he escaped in the darkness of night to Los Angeles.

AT OU he also preferred to fair catch a ton.

Last year, Mario Williams led the OU with only 5 kickoff returns. The next two guys had 4 and 2. OU's longest kickoff return all season was just 31 yards.

OU also averaged just 5.0 yards on punt returns and 20.0 on kickoff returns — both among the lowest totals in school history.

On Kickoff returns they gave up 6 of 30 or more which was among the worse in the nation (10 teams gave up 6, 5 gave up 7, 2 gave up 9, and 1 gave up 10), as well as 2 of over 90 yards (7 teams gave up 2, 2 gave up 3, and 1 gave up 4) including the aforementioned 100 yarder and a 99 yarder vs Kansas State.

On the list of things to when taking over a new job, bringing in 35 new players(not counting walk-ons), integrating 81 strange players with all but one new coach, and putting in a new offense and defense to 81 players, practising onside kicks would be pretty close to the bottom of the list. Saturdays game moved it up a bit!