SS CIF HS Football, 2022

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
10-21-22 Games

1. Mater Dei, #1 N, #1 Ca vs Santa Margarita, #10 Ca, MD beat a solid SM team 52-7. QB E.Brown-MD stats: 13/14 = 93%, 3-1 yds, 2 TD. Man, E.Brown deserves a 5 stars ratings and USC had better get this fine QB.

2. St.John Bosco, #4 N, #2 Ca vs Orange Lutheran, #9 Ca, SJB beat a very good OLu team 48-7.

3. Bishop Gorman, Nevada #5 N vs Foothill, Nv, 75-0. BG plays in a weak Las Vegas area league, too bad. BG deserves their #5 N ratings.

4. Centennial-Corona, #14 N vs Marietta Valley, 50-7.

6. Los Alamitos, #6 Ca vs Huntington Beach, 48-7

7. Guyer, Tx, #16 N vs Allen, Tx, 49-7. Saw the game on ESPN on 10-20-22, Thursday. Guyer's QB, 5 stars, Jackson Arnold, 6-2, 210 lbs (OU commit) put on a show. I'm really impressed with his QB skills and intangibles. JA stats: 26/29 = 90%, 338 yds, 4 TD's + 1 rushing TD-84 yds. He's big, has all the throws, accurate, strong arm, all his passes tight spirals and can motor (fast). Man OU is getting a terrffic QB. J.Arnold is better than Manning and Nelson of the 23 QB class. After seeing all these QB's play, right now I rate Nico Lamaleava-Warren HS and J.Arnold as the top 2 QB in the 23 class. Nico has the strongest arm and my #1 QB.
Sheesh....blow out games all over.

Reactions: Canyon.usc

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Serra Cavs rebounds 28-12 versus Alemany and go to 5-4 after losing their last game and forfeiting another.
Go Cavs! Hail to the Red and Blue!

Reactions: Pudly76

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Serra Cavs win Mission league with nail-biter win over Chaminade! Late pick six seals the win for playoffs bound Serra Cavs! Hail to the Red and Blue...GOOOO CAVS!

Serra trailed 24-19 late in the third quarter

In a back and forth affair, Gardena Serra beat Chaminade 32-23 in a game that came down to the final minute of the fourth quarter. With just seconds remaining and Serra clinging to a 26-23 lead, Cavaliers' senior Tanu Sosa intercepted Chaminade quarterback Javance Tupouata-Johnson and returned the pick 78 yards for a touchdown to ice the game.

• Love

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Serra Cavaliers on the strength of their running game and three turnovers win 28-14 at home versus Norco in CIF Southern Section round. GOOOO CAVS! Hail to the Red and Blue!

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
11-11-22

Selected FB games, results.

Quarter's D-1 or Open Divsion.

Mater Dei #1 vs J.Serra-Orange county # 7, MD won big 54-14 and will play Los Alamitos in the semi's.

St.John Bosco #2 vs Orange Lutheran #8, SJB won big 49-14 and will play Mission Viejo in the semi's

Mission Viejo #5 vs Centennial-Corona #3, Wow MV upset Cent, 31-28.

Los Alamitos #6 vs Long Beach Poly #4, Los Al won a close, high scoring game, 52-42. Saw the game on TV last night, very entertaining. Makai Lemon deserve a 5 star rating, man this kid is something else. C.LR is getting one hell of a FB player. So impressed with Makai, hard nose, sure hands, fast, tough hombre. With him and Zach Branch from Bishop Gorman, they will break into the lineup next year. These 2 will flourish in C.LR O. Oh, yeah Malachi Nelson played well; his passes were on the money with good zip and accuracy.

Division 2.

Sierra Canyon #16 vs Serra-Gardena, #11 SC won big 42-16. Mild upset, SC is playing well late into the season and on a roll.

Commentary. I believe our HS CIF FB teams play too many games in a season. It's dangerous and pushing the envelope for serious injuries. Pre-season + regular league season = 10 games + 3 CIF section playoff games + 1 final State Championship game = 14 games to win a State Championship. That's crazy and just too many FB games for our young ones.

In my time, our HS teams played 2 pre-season games + 6 league games + 1 league championship game = 9 games total if you made it to the title game. No State game. Thus most teams played only 8 games in a season. After the title game, I remember feeling beat up, and went right into basketball practices on Monday. That was a rough 1st week of basketball practices.

Dang, CIF players/teams play 5 more games than we did. I can not imagine how beat up their bodies must be after 14 games...

Last edited:
  • Love

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
SS CIF Playoffs, Semi's, D-1, D-2, 11-18-22

D-1

Mater Dei vs Los Alamitos. MD wins. Yeah, just saw the game is on Bally's Sports, 7:30 pm

St. John Bosco vs Mission Viejo. SJB wins.

D-2

Sierra Canyon vs Bishop Amat. Sierra Canyon win a close game.

Chaminade vs Inglewood. Chaminade win a close game.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018

D-1

Mater Dei vs Los Alamitos. MD wins.

St. John Bosco vs Mission Viejo. SJB wins

D-2

Sierra Canyon vs Bishop Amat. Sierra Canyon wins.

Chaminade vs Inglewood. Chaminade wins.
I wished that Los Al would’ve been playing vs SJB rather than MDHS. Like Servite last season, I was hoping they’d get to the finals. I just don’t see them being able to handle the Monarch’s linemen on either side of the ball.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I wished that Los Al would’ve been playing vs SJB rather than MDHS. Like Servite last season, I was hoping they’d get to the finals. I just don’t see them being able to handle the Monarch’s linemen on either side of the ball.
Hear your sentiments. But, as good as they are, neither Los Al or Mission Viejo are not strong enough to beat these 2 power houses in Mater Dei and SJB. MD and SJB are on another level. There's such a big gap. MD and SJB are like 10+ and the others are like 7's.

As a consolation, hope one of them, Los Al or Mission Viejo make the State game. Every year, too many SS CIF top teams are left out the State games because they are stacked in D-1 and D-2 playoffs. Whereas the Northern and Central CIF sections manipulate their division playoff teams sending their top teams to the State games. That really irks me mucho...

Last edited:
  • Wow

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Your prediction is accurate. Nelson hasn't had much of a chance. No protection and Lemon has barely played.

Brown for MD already plays like a college QB.

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
I was at the Bosco game. It was not even close. They had a running clock in the 4th quarter. Bosco scored in one play both times in the first quarter against Mission Viejo. Bosco absolutely overpowered Mission Viejo and are on a different level than every other team except MD. This game next week should be a classic. I would not be overly surprised that Bosco beats MD the second time around.Either way, the game is at the Rose Bowl should be a classic game well worth seeing.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

D-1

Mater Dei, #1 N, #1 Ca vs Los Alamitos, #24 N, #4 Ca. MD wins. Mater Dei crushed Los Al, 52-0. Should have been 59-0 a pick 6 was erase due to roughing the QB, BS. Saw the play, it was a ticky tack call. MD D played with Mucho intensity, physicality, gang tackling, DB's blanketed Wr's, most of all pressured the QB all night. Dam, MD took out Malachi Nelson early in the 3rd Qt.

TV announcers said that MD wanted to show up Los Al because of their smack talking in their 7 on 7 passing tournament this past summer. MD told them, hope we see you in the play offs, because we are gonna show you what real FB is about. Poor Los Al learn a hard lesson about smack talking to MD. MD O was not perfect though, Brown and his Wr's were sometimes not on the same page, passing game off the mark. But, their run game was dominant. Elijah Brown is a Great QB and deserves a 5 star ratings. I think he will get that status soon. E.Brown vs M.Nelson, sorry to say this Elijah is the better QB. C.LR had better go all in and land Elijah, he is a winner and future after Caleb departs for the NFL.

St. John Bosco, #4 N, #2 Ca vs Mission Viejo, #25 N, #3 Ca. SJB wins. St John Bosco won Big, 41-6 TV announcers for the MD game said that SJB jumped to #2 national rankings. The #2 St. Francis, Maryland loss, and the #3 Central, Fl barely won. Told you people that SF did not deserve the #2 ranking. Maxpreps got it right this time...

Next week, it's Mater Dei #1 N vs St. John Bosco #2 N, once again. Sports pundits say it's hard beating the same team twice in a season, in a rubber re-match. Maybe so, but I predict that MD wins a close, hard fought battle and take the CIF title and move on to the State game vs. the Northern CIF team. MD has the better QB and will want to send out their beloved C.Rollinson with a State and National title. The emotion part of the game favors MD. But, we will see next week, can't wait already...

D-2

Sierra Canyon, #12 Ca vs Bishop Amat #6 Ca. Sierra Canyon win a close game. SC won a close, tight game, a slight upset, 29-23. SC is on a roll. C.Ellinghouse knows how to get his team peak in the playoffs. He is very good coach.

Chaminade #13 Ca vs Inglewood #9 Ca. Chaminade lose a close game. Aw Chaminade loss a high scoring, OT game, 38-41. Looks like it was hard fought. Since I'm from neighboring Santa Clarita Valley, I always root for San Fernando Valley teams. Chaminade is well coached and have a solid team.

It will be an awesome final next week, Sierra Canyon vs Inglewood. I say SC wins a close game.

Last edited:

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
I can't imagine the size of the crowd that will be at the Rose Bowl next week. It may rival the one in 1956 when Downey met Anaheim for a 10-10 tie with stars Mickey Flynn and Randy Meadows. They ended up with both of these guys were made co-CIF players of the year. I knew several of the guys on the Downey team. One of the guys on the Downey team their center, Lash Stevenson, is a good friend of mine.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Your prediction is accurate. Nelson hasn't had much of a chance. No protection and Lemon has barely played.

Brown for MD already plays like a college QB.
The game wasn’t as close as the score. There was a definite attitude that the Monarch players brought into this game. I remember clearly the trash talking at the 7v7 tourneys and how the Griffin players were reminded that football is different when the pads come on. They used the Griffin’s QBs as tackling dummies all night and completely shut down their running game as well.

I just want to say that, with Rollo’s retirement, we have been very fortunate to see an incredible run by a couple teams the last few years. SJB and MDHS and on occasion a couple others have treated Southern California football fans to some incredibly talented teams.
I hope that with his retirement it doesn’t push some of these kids to texas or florida.