Stanford HC David Shaw

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Aw, David Shaw stepped down from his HC position at Stanford. C.Shaw is a class act and one hell of a fine coach. His down fall, not landing enough of the top players. Wisconsin, ASU, Georgia Tech, Colorado, USF and other smaller schools are looking for HC's. C.Shaw will land another job.

Shoot, Stanford must search for a HC. I'm sure there will be a lot of Stanford players entering the TP...

Last edited:

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
I always thought Shaw was a good man and was a good coach but I always felt he wasnt this great coach that the media portrayed him as. He inherited a stocked cupboard from Hardbutt and always had a superstar player that carried the teams......Andrew Luck, McCaffery, Bryce Love , Toby Gerhardt, Zach Ertz, and Coby Fleener....just to name a few. He declined when he wasnt able to recruit players like those anymore.

Last edited:

jiordone

Aug 24, 2017
He coat tailed on what Harbaugh built there, then his true coaching abilities eventually took over. The guy was a POS as well they say he abused his running backs. Not a fan of his.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
I always wondered why the media fawned over Shaw....Hate to say this but he wasnt better than our own guy we like to kick around......Clay Helton. ....... I dont think Clay was a worse coach than Shaw....I think they were both mediocre.

jjg4sc

Aug 24, 2017
He could be a great kid wear big oline ground and pound coach. He held his own on the west coast and could be a real beast somewhere else. Character guy.

HudSD

Aug 31, 2021
Shaw seems like a good guy, and a good manager of the program. He did not seem to be a visionary or inspirational, and once Harbaugh's recruits graduated, and the OL pipeline dried up, he entered a downward spiral. It seems he made a wise choice to retire .. and probably won't be relying on Soc Sec for creature comforts.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
I always wondered why the media fawned over Shaw....Hate to say this but he wasnt better than our own guy we like to kick around......Clay Helton. ....... I dont think Clay was a worse coach than Shaw....I think they were both mediocre.
Statistically over the last 6 years Clay Helton had a higher winning %. I did a breakdown of this.

Reactions: jaycee993

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
Many say he rode Harbaughs coattails and lived off his recruiting classes, but Harbaugh was only there 4 years and his last year was the really good one at 12-1. His overall record was 29-21 with 2 winning seasons and two losing.

Legend Bill Walsh only managed to go 17-17-1, and Dennis Green was 16-20.

Accomplishments:

-Shaw was 96-54 with 4 Pac 12 Coach of the Year crowns (2011, 2012, 2015, 2017)

- 7 years of 9+ wins including 4 without any Harbaugh recruits on the roster

- Averaged 10 (9.6) wins a year from 2015-2018, years removed from Harbaugh and without any of his recruits

- Had Top 25 classes in 8 of his 12 years so he's recruited decently

Shaw Recruiting Classes 2011-2022:

2022 #27
2021 #48
2020 #22
2019 #21
2018 #40
2017 #14
2016 #16

2015 #24
2014 #13
2013 #52
2012 #7
2011 #22

- He was only 14-28 the last 4 years so he wasn't developing his talent like he had in the past, which led to his demise.

Mike Bloomgren appears to have been a huge key to his success though.

Without Mike Bloomgren, Rice's current Head Coach, things have gone south.

Bloomgren at Stanford:

2011–2012
Stanford (RGC/OL)

Stanford (OC/OL)

2014–2017
Stanford (AHC/OC/OL)

Stanford was 75-22 with Bloomgren overseeing the OL 2011-17

They've been 23-32 since he left.

David Shaw in his slimmer days.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Shaw seems like a good guy, and a good manager of the program. He did not seem to be a visionary or inspirational, and once Harbaugh's recruits graduated, and the OL pipeline dried up, he entered a downward spiral. It seems he made a wise choice to retire .. and probably won't be relying on Soc Sec for creature comforts.
He was boxed in. He had had nowhere to go but out.

Reactions: jjg4sc

contracostatrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I have heard a few rumors the Stanford administration does not support NIL for their players. If true, Stanford is done.

TommyTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Accomplishments:

-Shaw was 96-54 with 4 Pac 12 Coach of the Year crowns (2011, 2012, 2015, 2017)

- 7 years of 9+ wins including 4 without any Harbaugh recruits on the roster

- Averaged 10 (9.6) wins a year from 2015-2018, years removed from Harbaugh and without any of his recruits

- Had Top 25 classes in 8 of his 12 years so he's recruited decently
The issue is that his tenure cooincided with USC's sanctions and Helton era. He may have decent recruiting numbers, but those are skewed by the fact that we couldn't recruit as many kids under sanctions, and then were terribly coached for almost a decade after they were over. He knows he won't be able to compete with USC now.

TheRealAirbns

Aug 24, 2017
The issue is that his tenure cooincided with USC's sanctions and Helton era. He may have decent recruiting numbers, but those are skewed by the fact that we couldn't recruit as many kids under sanctions, and then were terribly coached for almost a decade after they were over. He knows he won't be able to compete with USC now.
Have to disagree. As Harbaugh showed, a good coach can make all the difference in the world. Plus, Stanford has cachet just being Stanford - they can recruit across the country because they're known as one of the top five universities in the country. It's a name that opens doors, like MIT or Harvard or Yale.

So, now that Shaw is out, does Stanford have any players worth poaching?

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017

I seriously doubt USC’s trajectory had anything to do with anyone’s decision-making at Furd.

For one thing, in just one year Stanford will factually not be competing against USC.

For another, if your point were valid, every P12 team would be throwing in the towel.

Personally, I think he was “asked” to step down because of their own trajectory, not USC’s, and the Furd administration didn’t like, and was terrified by, the PC optics of firing him. JMHO.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I wish C.LR go after these 2 committed Stanford players: Cameron Brandt, DL, 6-4, 265 lbs, 4*, Sierra Canyon HS, local kid. Top DL in Calif. Seen him at least 4 times at Sierra Canyon. Kid is big, high motor all 4 qts, very athletic DL. And, Simione Pale, OL, 6-5, 320 lbs, 3+*, Elk Grove HS-Sacramento. I think USC came in a close 2nd for his commitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobertSmithLA

TommyTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Have to disagree. As Harbaugh showed, a good coach can make all the difference in the world. Plus, Stanford has cachet just being Stanford - they can recruit across the country because they're known as one of the top five universities in the country. It's a name that opens doors, like MIT or Harvard or Yale.

So, now that Shaw is out, does Stanford have any players worth poaching?
You are actually making my point about David Shaw. He's no Harbaugh yet for the past few years we've had to listen on draft day how amazing the guy is.

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
I think that's a bs response that you can't back with any type of evidence or logic.

I'm inclined to go back and tabulate how many recruits USC and Stanford have actually battled for previously. You're making it sound like it's a common thing when it absolutely isn't.

On top of that Helton brought in a top of top rated classes as did Sark and Kiffin. That recruiting angle is complete nonsense.

Why can't you just give him credit for what he did and keep it moving? This "he aint Harbaugh", we were under sanctions sht is weak as hell man. He was there 3x longer than Harbaugh! I'm not even a Shaw fan, but I had all this data complied and saved from 2 years ago because some other dude was spitting nonsense and I had to check him on it. If you don't like Shaw, just don't like him. Don't be disingenuous and offer up these half-assed takes.

And why can't you accept that just because broadcasters praise him doesn't mean they actually believe it or are basing it solely on his coaching prowess? He's probably a nice guy that gets along well with folks and knows how to get people on his side. That happens a lot in life. Look at how long Helton got a pass because he was a "decent man" or whatever other bs they used to feed us. It's not always the most competent or skilled people that end up the wealthiest or most accomplished.

TommyTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I think that's a bs response that you can't back with any type of evidence or logic.

I'm inclined to go back and tabulate how many recruits USC and Stanford have actually battled for previously. You're making it sound like it's a common thing when it absolutely isn't.

On top of that Helton brought in a top of top rated classes as did Sark and Kiffin. That recruiting angle is complete nonsense.

Why can't you just give him credit for what he did and keep it moving? This "he aint Harbaugh", we were under sanctions sht is weak as hell man. He was there 3x longer than Harbaugh! I'm not even a Shaw fan, but I had all this data complied and saved from 2 years ago because some other dude was spitting nonsense and I had to check him on it. If you don't like Shaw, just don't like him. Don't be disingenuous and offer up these half-assed takes.

And why can't you accept that just because broadcasters praise him doesn't mean they actually believe it or are basing it solely on his coaching prowess? He's probably a nice guy that gets along well with folks and knows how to get people on his side. That happens a lot in life. Look at how long Helton got a pass because he was a "decent man" or whatever other bs they used to feed us. It's not always the most competent or skilled people that end up the wealthiest or most accomplished.
I don't know why you are so heated. Stanford has slowly drifted away since we came off sanctions. They peaked in 2015. That's nearly 7 years ago.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Shaw’s best year was 12-2, 6 years after Harbaugh left. He did a darn good job for a while that can’t be credited to Harbaugh, but he’s been unable to maintain it. I’m pretty sure he had been in contact with Stanford’s admin and saw the writing on the wall.

TommyTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Shaw’s best year was 12-2, 6 years after Harbaugh left. He did a darn good job for a while that can’t be credited to Harbaugh, but he’s been unable to maintain it. I’m pretty sure he had been in contact with Stanford’s admin and saw the writing on the wall.
I'm not saying he isn't a good coach. I'm saying he isn't a great coach. But hey, what do I know. I'm just a message board nerd. Maybe he gets picked up by some SEC team and dominates CFB.

Reactions: jjg4sc

Oldschoolrock

Aug 24, 2017
I'm not saying he isn't a good coach. I'm saying he isn't a great coach. But hey, what do I know. I'm just a message board nerd. Maybe he gets picked up by some SEC team and dominates CFB.
Stanford is not an easy place to build his winning %, he is a good great coach, maybe too old school with scheme....

Reactions: DaFireMedic

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
I don't know why you are so heated. Stanford has slowly drifted away since we came off sanctions. They peaked in 2015. That's nearly 7 years ago.
Why would I be "heated" when I clearly wrote in the post I wasn't even a Shaw fan? I just found your argument to be completely lacking and I addressed it.

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
I always thought Shaw was a good man and was a good coach but I always felt he wasnt this great coach that the media portrayed him as. He inherited a stocked cupboard from Hardbutt and always had a superstar player that carried the teams......Andrew Luck, McCaffery, Bryce Love , Toby Gerhardt, Zach Ertz, and Coby Fleener....just to name a few. He declined when he wasnt able to recruit players like those anymore.
That isn’t too far from what USC is doing this year, is it?

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
There was a time not too long ago, TEs, OLs, DLs were getting drafted into the NFL, along with some of the skills guys...

Then recruiting dried up....the physical nature of Stanford went away...

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
There were rumbling here in Atlanta about Shaw and the GaTech job, but it looks like they are giving it to Brent Key.

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Aug 24, 2017
Shaw had lost his Mojo, and it was obvious Stanford was a on a downward spiral. But my God, he has forgotten more about coaching than Clay will ever know. To imply they were on par is ludicrous. GSU will tire of Clay in a year or two, never to be a head coach again.

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
Shaw had lost his Mojo, and it was obvious Stanford was a on a downward spiral. But my God, he has forgotten more about coaching than Clay will ever know. To imply they were on par is ludicrous. GSU will tire of Clay in a year or two, never to be a head coach again.
Hell, in a 3-9 season in 2021, he managed to thrash USC, which resulted in CCH's departure...

Thank you Coach Shaw....

LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Canyon.usc

Arthur Jury

Oct 31, 2018
I've always liked David Shaw, he is a good coach and got a lot out of a tough Leland P Stanford JUNIOR university situation. Remember, there were recent past times when we would have loved to have David Shaw as USC coach.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021

Last edited: