The case for Chris Petersen

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Maybe the best mid major coach ever. But now UW is a mess. There have been a load of excellent west coast QBs enter the last few years but Petersen could not land one. Do not under estimate recruiting and assume anyone can do it.

1949elias

Aug 24, 2017
Look what he did at Boise State , very good coach took Washington to the promise land without the talent he could recruit at USC. Recruiting is about the staff and support staff , HC is the closer , he would be an excellent hire , west coach guy.

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
I do not believe you could get Chris out of the NW. His son had some serious health issues and is pretty tied to the NW. Coaching football at WA took a lot out of him from what some of my Husky boosters told me. It was not what he expected coaching a big time program.

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
Maybe the best mid major coach ever. But now UW is a mess. There have been a load of excellent west coast QBs enter the last few years but Petersen could not land one. Do not under estimate recruiting and assume anyone can do it.
We need a top tier coach

contracostatrojan

Aug 24, 2017
The 1st Petersen dalliance ended with a mutual no thanks. What has changed? We want someone who wants to be here and that is not Petersen. My bRuin brother has a friend who was a paid analyst with the Utah program for a few and he mentioned one name both Utah and Cal L.A. are concerned about us getting - Eric Bieniemy.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Petersen did a great job of developing Sark’s 3-star recruits and a number of them were drafted into the NFL. Just think what he could do with 4 and 5-star guys at USC!? But Bruce Feldman says he’s not interested in coaching again right now. I say it’s USC and money talks.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Petersen is 57 and Bob Stoops is 61. Petersen looks noticeably younger and he seems to have more energy about him.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Bohn needs to dig down deep with Petersen to understand what motivates him. What made him decide to go from Boise to Washington? Why was Washington ultimately unfulfilling?

Reactions: August West

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
He booted several Sark recruits off the team. You dont make it to the playoffs w/o some talent and coaching. The issues lie when going against a Bama…depth. UW matched up with Bana 1s on 1s….Bamas 2s & 3s were far superior.

SC could do worse than CP, but as you stated, dies he want to coach agan? I think he does, just not sure it’s at SC.
Including I think Marcus Peters. That’s discipline … lacking at USC under Helton.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
The lead recruiter isn’t the head coach. Donte, Tee Martin, Ed Orgeron as an assistant. Ideally you bring in the HC occasionally to be the closer.

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
Peterson was always harping on "our kind of guys'. It seems that he was the only one who could win with "our kind of guys"

Trojanopolis

Aug 24, 2017
I’m in! Urban would turn it around quicker, but he’s not a long term hire. 3-4 years is my guess.

I actually think IF CP came onboard, he’d stay a long time.
I was completely on the Urban train the last two years but I've gotten off at the station. His behavior seems more erratic as he's gotten older and he left Florida and OSU in a bit of a mess. And if he came to USC, that's what would happen to JAX...and eventually USC.

CP seems like a solid citizen who can flat out coach and develop talent.

Rainman44

Aug 24, 2017
Great points but it ignores the fact that Chris is done with the coaching grind. Move on. Chris has.
I talked to him last week and told me he still wants to coach (we get coffee at the same place).

Seriously, every middle aged coach that has bowed out because of burn out does the same thing...they come back. Urban being the #1. It is really an excuse to take some time off and re-evaluate options. I'd bet a pretty penny Petersen is back somewhere in the next year or two.

Reactions: August West

Shrapper

Aug 30, 2021
I like Peterson, but why did he leave UW before he built them up? His departure story is kind of weird and suspicious.

jacksonsf

Aug 24, 2017
Petersen did a great job of developing Sark’s 3-star recruits and a number of them were drafted into the NFL. Just think what he could do with 4 and 5-star guys at USC!? But Bruce Feldman says he’s not interested in coaching again right now. I say it’s USC and money talks.
After going after Urban and getting turned down, I would then go to Petersen and offer him $7-8M per year and whoever he wants for assistants.

Thereafter...Stoops, Cristobal, Campbell, Fickell, Brian Kelly, and OBrien.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Compare Dart to Petersen’s QB’s at Boise and Washington. Kellen Moore and Jake Browning nice, productive CFB players, but not Dart talent-wise. And then digest this LAT headline.