The euphoria is nice...but

Rainman44

Aug 24, 2017
I've been reading the WeAreSC articles (Yay-Nay, Helton Fired, Musings) and listening to the one Podcast on Helton's dismissal. It's been a good week to finally see the change made that the large majority here felt was needed. Exhale!

But it ain't going to be smooth sailing until a new coach is hired and has been on the ground for several months (or a year?). It always takes time, and especially now as USC has a very young head coach now who is drinking from the biggest firehose ever. He hasn't had anywhere near this responsibility, ever. I believe most of us feel good that Donte Williams has what it takes to be a HC. But jumping from secondary coach to HC at the D1 level, let alone USC, is a giant leap. And he is a young guy too. So my expectations are tempered knowing he can affect only so much change. And other coaches will try to take advantage of his inexperience, and he's going to make mistakes. That's what learning is all about.

Here are some thoughts I hope he is attuned to, to help him through the season:
  • He needs to have strong support and trust amongst his assistants. This is paramount. I imagine he has sat down with each to better align (communication, understandings, expectations, etc) for the duration of the season. Donte has to be a great communicator and a listener if he is going to get the most from his staff, and he has to build trust with them
  • Prioritize what you need to learn - he can't cram 10 yrs of experience into one season. There is much to learn and he can't learn everything. It's great that he's in the OL meeting trying to understand their jargon. But don't over rotate on that. He needs to learn game strategy, game mgmt., rules he may not be familiar with, the media, etc.
  • Don't try to change too much or implement "your thing" too hastily. That can disrupt beyond repair in season, and alienate assistants.
  • Pace himself and manage the stress proactively - yeah, this week is crazy. Just go with it. But in the longer run get a routine down that allows some regular rest. And he must be aware of of the changes he is going through. It's going to be a bumpy ride.
  • Get a mentor - Dave Roberts, Dodger manager, has Bob Geren, a former manager sitting on his left side in the dugout for every game since he was hired (Pat Riley had Bill Bertka). Geren has helped Roberts out tremendously, bringing years of experience to the table for Roberts to leverage. For Donte it might be that he has an ex coach to consult with (not during games obviously).
I'm pulling for Donte and of course the team. I hope I'm over thinking this, but in this case, it never hurts to be proactive to avoid obvious pitfalls.

Nate Doggg

Aug 24, 2017
I've been reading the WeAreSC articles (Yay-Nay, Helton Fired, Musings) and listening to the one Podcast on Helton's dismissal. It's been a good week to finally see the change made that the large majority here felt was needed. Exhale!

But it ain't going to be smooth sailing until a new coach is hired and has been on the ground for several months (or a year?). It always takes time, and especially now as USC has a very young head coach now who is drinking from the biggest firehose ever. He hasn't had anywhere near this responsibility, ever. I believe most of us feel good that Donte Williams has what it takes to be a HC. But jumping from secondary coach to HC at the D1 level, let alone USC, is a giant leap. And he is a young guy too. So my expectations are tempered knowing he can affect only so much change. And other coaches will try to take advantage of his inexperience, and he's going to make mistakes. That's what learning is all about.

• He needs to have strong support and trust amongst his assistants. This is paramount. I imagine he has sat down with each to better align (communication, understandings, expectations, etc) for the duration of the season. Donte has to be a great communicator and a listener if he is going to get the most from his staff, and he has to build trust with them
  • Prioritize what you need to learn - he can't cram 10 yrs of experience into one season. There is much to learn and he can't learn everything. It's great that he's in the OL meeting trying to understand their jargon. But don't over rotate on that. He needs to learn game strategy, game mgmt., rules he may not be familiar with, the media, etc.
  • Don't try to change too much or implement "your thing" too hastily. That can disrupt beyond repair in season, and alienate assistants.
  • Pace himself and manage the stress proactively - yeah, this week is crazy. Just go with it. But in the longer run get a routine down that allows some regular rest. And he must be aware of of the changes he is going through. It's going to be a bumpy ride.
  • Get a mentor - Dave Roberts, Dodger manager, has Bob Geren, a former manager sitting on his left side in the dugout for every game since he was hired (Pat Riley has Bill Bertka). Geren has helped Roberts out tremendously, bringing years of experience to the table for Roberts to leverage. For Donte it might be that he has an ex coach to consult with (not during games obviously).
I'm pulling for Donte and of course the team. I hope I'm over thinking this, but in this case, it never hurts to be proactive to avoid obvious pitfalls.
I don't think Bohn will make the mistake of making the lazy hire and just removing the interim tag. I don't think anyone here is unwilling to support Donte. But I also think we need to aim higher than our last 3 hires and look outside the Trojan family. We need a bigger hire imo.

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017

• Get a mentor - Dave Roberts, Dodger manager, has Bob Geren, a former manager sitting on his left side in the dugout for every game since he was hired (Pat Riley had Bill Bertka). Geren has helped Roberts out tremendously, bringing years of experience to the table for Roberts to leverage. For Donte it might be that he has an ex coach to consult with (not during games obviously).
Donte is the cheap way out. He did better than clay so hire him. No way. Again this is not a position for on the job training regardless of what a quick study someone may be. Sc has earned the right to command respect,, earned the right to command that only proven winners need apply. To most others try other schools for your seasoning. We like our steaks well seasoned and done here.

Rainman44

Aug 24, 2017
I don't think Bohn will make the mistake of making the lazy hire and just removing the interim tag. I don't think anyone here is unwilling to support Donte. But I also think we need to aim higher than our last 3 hires and look outside the Trojan family. We need a bigger hire imo.
What I was trying to convey is that this is likely going to be a tough season (even though great to make the change) and will be rough until the real hire is in place. Just a reality check.

Rainman44

Aug 24, 2017
Donte is the cheap way out. He did better than clay so hire him. No way. Again this is not a position for on the job training regardless of what a quick study someone may be. Sc has earned the right to command respect,, earned the right to command that only proven winners need apply. To most others try other schools for your seasoning. We like our steaks well seasoned and done here.
What I was trying to convey is that this is likely going to be a tough season (even though great to make the change) and will be rough until the real hire is in place. Just a reality check.

Rainman44

Aug 24, 2017
We need a lot of change….going the unproven, inexperienced interim again is just not the answer.

We’re USC, we are among the bluest of blue bloods. We need to be aiming higher much than DW.
I was just addressing the immediate season, and that is going to be tough most likely. I think it's pretty obvious that Donte is the interim-bridge to whomever the new coach is. I think people should accept that, and not get on the coaching staff if it gets ugly at times.

CrownoftheValley

Aug 24, 2017
Donte was chosen for the interim position because Bohn said he didn't want the coordinators distracted from their job to run their half of the team.
Bohn is right... Donte was already the Asst HC too. Easier for Donte to handle his group and run the team day to day rather than
either the DC or OC... and Harrell has enough trouble figuring out which of the nine or ten plays he has to call during the game.

Bohn has made it pretty clear what he wants and he is going to conduct a thorough search... I'm pretty sure he has been working on this a while anyway.

Patience.

Reactions: Cardinal&Gold

BESCFAN

Aug 24, 2017
I have nothing against Donte, but the odds have got to be very long for him to get this gig full-time. Even he stabilizes the ship and finishes with a decent season...

A) SC has made too many "emotional" promotions of assistants after ADs developed man crushes - that is why SC is in this lousy position to begin with.
B) The alumni and fans deserve and are going to DEMAND a "home run" hire - nothing less - too much at stake.
C) The chances an assistant with no HC experience can flourish in short term to an elite HC at a program like SC is very, very slim. Would take too much time and the fans have zero patience for another "project". Would be doing Donte a disservice.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Donte was chosen for the interim position because Bohn said he didn't want the coordinators distracted from their job to run their half of the team.
Bohn is right... Donte was already the Asst HC too. Easier for Donte to handle his group and run the team day to day rather than
either the DC or OC... and Harrell has enough trouble figuring out which of the nine or ten plays he has to call during the game.

Bohn has made it pretty clear what he wants and he is going to conduct a thorough search... I'm pretty sure he has been working on this a while anyway.

Patience.
I can be annoying and presumptuous part of it is trolling part of it is venting but my instincts say MIke Bohn will go out and get us a Coach who can turn this around lighting fast. There are not too many coaches out there that meet this criteria so you can be sure it’s going to be a big hire. (Nobody on this current staff fits this description) I don’t think he’s interested in someone who needs a 3 year window just to build a steady program. I think he’s thinking year one 10 wins and PAC 12 title. Year 2 legit playoffs contender. Year 3 NC. This is exactly how Urban Meyer did it at OSU. Let’s give him a chance to bring this to fruition. Mike Bohn is trending up in my book.

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I was just addressing the immediate season, and that is going to be tough most likely. I think it's pretty obvious that Donte is the interim-bridge to whomever the new coach is. I think people should accept that, and not get on the coaching staff if it gets ugly at times.
Yeah, this season is whatever to me but instead of that being my mindset in a negative way under Hugs. It's shifted to being more optimistic now that there's light at the end the tunnel. I for one don't expect some huge boost in performance but I at least would like to see more solid play. Even in a loss.

I can be annoying and presumptuous part of it is trolling part of it is venting but my instincts say MIke Bohn will go out and get us a Coach who can turn this around lighting fast. There are not too many coaches that meet this criteria. (Nobody on this current staff) I don’t think he’s interested in someone who needs a 3 year window. I think he’s thinking year 1 10 wins year 2 playoffs year 3 NC.
That may be pushing it - even if it's the goal and the ideal - that first year will be a toss up. Depending on who we get as HC and how the schedule stacks up.

FightOn81.usc

Aug 29, 2017

I don’t see D getting the gig but it would be amazing. Known him since 6th grade, played ball together at culver. So exciting to see how far he’s come and definitely rooting for him.

Latest posts