The Food Booth

Gold Trojan

Aug 27, 2017
Saltines, canned tuna, and a fruit roll-up.

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
Custom rubbed tri tip, grilled with a maple-apple smoke mix (smoker box), roasted zucchini spears, garlic bread. Red wine.
Love me some tri tips....

Used to go to Santa Maria a lot....now down to 1 trip a year...

Reactions: Pudly76

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
Love me some tri tips....

Used to go to Santa Maria a lot....now down to 1 trip a year...
Don’t know that I’ve ever ordered tri tip in a restaurant. We buy local grocer when on sale. My wife found the rub recipe somewhere years ago. Some of the best tasting meat I’ve ever had. Not the tenderest, but the flavor of the crust rub more than makes up for it.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Tonight:

Cedar-plank grilled salmon, bacon-wrapped grilled asparagus spears, rice pilaf. Peach pie & vanilla ice cream for dessert.

What you got?
Eh Bruddah, I know you do not drink, but here's the perfect white wine for this wonderful meal. 2019, Berringer, Luminus Chardonnay, Oak Knoll-Napa Valley, age in French Oak (important info), 75% dry, 25% fruit, exceptional bouquet & taste, well balanced.

I'm old school, many wineries are aging/fermenting wines in stainless steel vats vs. the classic French or American Oak barrels. Wineries do this to quicken the fermentation process, 6 months to 1 year aging process. Also, oak barrels are costly/expensive, it's a cost saver, increasing profits. Wines in Oak takes at least 3 yrs and more in the barrel. Plus, there's a considerable taste and fragrance difference. I do not buy wines that are aged/fermented in stainless steel vats...

BS many of the cheaper wines do not have the classic corks, instead twist top caps. Again, I do not buy wines with twist top caps...

Last edited:

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
Don’t know that I’ve ever ordered tri tip in a restaurant. We buy local grocer when on sale. My wife found the rub recipe somewhere years ago. Some of the best tasting meat I’ve ever had. Not the tenderest, but the flavor of the crust rub more than makes up for it.
One thing I like about Tri Tips is the leftovers...making a cold tri tip sandwhich on sourdough with sliced red onions, mayo, hot mustard, and some "Atomic" horseradish. I like to make the whole Santa Maria dinner with the beans and homemade salsa. I cook it over red oak coals on my Santa Maria grill. I never buy the pre-packaged/ pre-marinated tri tips...way too salty. I buy mine at Costco.

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
Tonight some marinated skirt steak tacos with onion, cilantro, and cotillo cheese. White rice with cilantro , lime zest, a some lime juice.

Tomorrow the 4th....rack of baby backs smoked on my Pit Barrel smoker, homemade coleslaw and potato salad.

• Love

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
One thing I like about Tri Tips is the leftovers...making a cold tri tip sandwhich on sourdough with sliced red onions, mayo, hot mustard, and some "Atomic" horseradish. I like to make the whole Santa Maria dinner with the beans and homemade salsa. I cook it over red oak coals on my Santa Maria grill. I never buy the pre-packaged/ pre-marinated tri tips...way too salty. I buy mine at Costco.
Yup. Love my leftover sandwiches. I like to toast a piece of buttered bread and when sufficiently crisp rub with raw garlic.. if I’m cooking for my kids too, I grate parmigiana cheese on it and return it to the broiler for just a couple moments. And then the condiments 😜

Reactions: Canyon.usc

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
Yup. Love my leftover sandwiches. I like to toast a piece of buttered bread and when sufficiently crisp rub with raw garlic.. if I’m cooking for my kids too, I grate parmigiana cheese on it and return it to the broiler for just a couple moments. And then the condiments 😜
yum!

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Happy 4th of July to everyone at WeAreSC. Be safe and have a wonderful holiday with family and friends. I'm sure y'all are gonna grind good Kau Kau today. My wife and I are cooking, BBQ Baby Back Ribs (Weber's KC dry BBQ rub + other seasonings) in the oven + Mac Cheese + Devil eggs + roasted Brussel Sprouts (no desert). In between watching Wimbledon.

I'm popping a 2012 Bordeaux, Chateau Tour Baladoz, St. Emillion, Grand Cru from my wine cellar. It's a big, dry, well balanced Bordeaux, wonderful bouquet, has rich flavor of French Oak + cold Modelo beer. Remember don't drink and drive, cheers. Peace & Aloha...

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
Homemade Hadley date shake topped with a hefty dollop of whipped coffee Irish cream and sprinkled with butterscotch and chocolate flakes.
My dad used to take us to Hadley’s every time we went to Palm Springs. He would let us each pick an item from the store, and get us a date shake. Good memories

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
My dad used to take us to Hadley’s every time we went to Palm Springs. He would let us each pick an item from the store, and get us a date shake. Good memories
They opened a new store and shut down the original building.. it’s just not the same atmosphere, but the shakes💥

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
Grilled sesame coated Ahi Steak with Wasabi sauce served with rice prima vera. A salad of lettuce and spinich with cherry tomatoes, strawberrys, and feta with Lemon/olive oil and crushed garlic vinegarette.

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
They opened a new store and shut down the original building.. it’s just not the same atmosphere, but the shakes💥
I saw that, when I drove by it a few months back. I didn't stop by. I was tempted to see if they had any chocolate covered honeycomb, but just wanted to get home.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I saw that, when I drove by it a few months back. I didn't stop by. I was tempted to see if they had any chocolate covered honeycomb, but just wanted to get home.
They have all their little goodies there (although I didn’t look for the honeycomb). It’s just too sanitized for me..

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
They have all their little goodies there (although I didn’t look for the honeycomb). It’s just too sanitized for me..
I agree. It looked like a franchise type location to me. The new building doesn't have the character of a country farm type store, like the old building.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Happy 4th of July to everyone at WeAreSC. Be safe and have a wonderful holiday with family and friends. I'm sure y'all are gonna grind good Kau Kau today. My wife and I are cooking, BBQ Baby Back Ribs (Weber's KC dry BBQ rub + other seasonings) in the oven + Mac Cheese + Devil eggs + roasted Brussel Sprouts (no desert). In between watching Wimbledon.

I'm popping a 2012 Bordeaux, Chateau Tour Baladoz, St. Emillion, Grand Cru from my wine cellar. It's a big, dry, well balanced Bordeaux, wonderful bouquet, has rich flavor of French Oak + cold Modelo beer. Remember don't drink and drive, cheers. Peace & Aloha...
Cheers amigo, I love a nice Bordeaux.

Reactions: Canyon.usc

Poobah

Aug 28, 2019
DoorDash.

…but it’ll be something good from a great restaurant!

Latest posts