There's something to be said for coaching stability

Sep 4, 2012
Auburn is the perfect case study. Little old State has managed to bypass the era of instant gratification that the big boys have fallen victim to (allowing Leach the time he needs to build with consistency and efficiency).

I know it's been discussed at length, but you really can't underestimate the advantage it provides us.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Auburn is the perfect case study. Little old State has managed to bypass the era of instant gratification that the big boys have fallen victim to (allowing Leach the time he needs to build with consistency and efficiency).

I know it's been discussed at length, but you really can't underestimate the advantage it provides us.
That reminds me. I’m gonna miss Arnett.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I agree 100% with what you are saying, but I would also argue that aTm does not fall into that category. If anything they have given Jimbo too long of a leash. The contract was lunacy to start with and extending it was next level stupid. If state had the kind of facilities and recruiting classes aTm has I feel safe i saying that we would all be screaming for Jimbo’s head if he was here.

It is nice to be part of a fan base that for the most part is realistic. If anything our problem is we don’t believe good things when they happen. I will never forget sitting i the stands when we ran the interception back the length of the field against bama during the croom years. I spent at least 2 minutes surveying the field for flags before i would allow myself to celebrate.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I agree 100% with what you are saying, but I would also argue that aTm does not fall into that category. If anything they have given Jimbo too long of a leash. The contract was lunacy to start with and extending it was next level stupid. If state had the kind of facilities and recruiting classes aTm has I feel safe i saying that we would all be screaming for Jimbo’s head if he was here.

It is nice to be part of a fan base that for the most part is realistic. If anything our problem is we don’t believe good things when they happen. I will never forget sitting i the stands when we ran the interception back the length of the field against bama during the croom years. I spent at least 2 minutes surveying the field for flags before i would allow myself to celebrate.
I tend to be more optimistic about our programs than a lot of folks around here, but I'm in the same boat. I lost track of how many TDs got called back in the Jackie years because of penalties so I do the same thing. Enjoy the play, wait for the flag.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
AU has seen their recruiting fall off and a lot of transfers. We'd change coaches ASAP too. See Joe Morehead. With salaries and buyouts what they are, you can find a coach just about anytime. I have no problem with making a change after this year if the wheels fall off this season.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

They should have never gotten rid of Malzahn. He was established and he would have righted the ship. The guy they have now needs to be gone today and Auburn start the search. Teams usually get better the second season, but Auburn has regress.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
AU has seen their recruiting fall off and a lot of transfers. We'd change coaches ASAP too. See Joe Morehead. With salaries and buyouts what they are, you can find a coach just about anytime. I have no problem with making a change after this year if the wheels fall off this season.
That program is an absolute train wreck. Harsin was a bad hire, but their issues go so much deeper than that. They may have the most interfering and dysfunctional boosters in All of football. Bama envy has pushed them over the deep end.

edit to add: I think the fan base would be screaming for it, I’m not as sure that our administration would pull the trigger. If it wasn’t for a certain right hook we probably would have gotten one more year of that wonderful experience

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You don't hang on to a bad coach that's destroying your harming your program for stability. But at the same time, you can't switch horses everytime you think your coach isn't a championship coach. Malzahn was good enough for Auburn. Florida was too quick to pull the trigger on Mullen although I get he was a bad personality fit there. Harsin is probably a bad fit for Auburn but they have ensured he will fail by undermining him from almost the get go. Hard to recruit when your school is basicallyh advertising you are a short termer.

Reactions: yakalot2 and patdog

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
You don't hang on to a bad coach that's destroying your harming your program for stability. But at the same time, you can't switch horses everytime you think your coach isn't a championship coach. Malzahn was good enough for Auburn. Florida was too quick to pull the trigger on Mullen although I get he was a bad personality fit there. Harsin is probably a bad fit for Auburn but they have ensured he will fail by undermining him from almost the get go. Hard to recruit when your school is basicallyh advertising you are a short termer.
Putting out a bull**** story that he was banging one of his staff members in an attempt to get him axed was a real class move by them too.

patdog

May 28, 2007
True. But there's two sides to that coin. If you've got the wrong coach, keeping him for the sake of stability can be disastrous. Auburn's problem is they've made a lot of panicked bad decisions. They probably shouldn't have fired Malzahn, and the Harsin hire was a complete head-scratcher from the beginning. They can't keep Harsin for the sake of stability. They just need to be sure they make a good hire this time.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
True. But there's two sides to that coin. If you've got the wrong coach, keeping him for the sake of stability can be disastrous. Auburn's problem is they've made a lot of panicked bad decisions. They probably shouldn't have fired Malzahn, and the Harsin hire was a complete head-scratcher from the beginning. They can't keep Harsin for the sake of stability. They just need to be sure they make a good hire this time.
They can't keep Harsin for the sake of stability now, after they have spent the past 8ish months trying to undermine him. But while the hire didn't make a lot of sense to begin with (you pay Malzahn to go away to hire him???), I can't say he wouldn't have been ok if hotseat rumors hadn't started before the end of his first year. I don't know if there were huge red flags like with JoMo that appeared early, but looking from teh outside in, it looks like he was never given a chance to succeed there.

Sep 4, 2012

On a related note, Jimbo looks like an Oompa Loompa that grew to human height.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 11.41.22 AM.png

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
That program is an absolute train wreck. Harsin was a bad hire, but their issues go so much deeper than that. They may have the most interfering and dysfunctional boosters in All of football. Bama envy has pushed them over the deep end.

edit to add: I think the fan base would be screaming for it, I’m not as sure that our administration would pull the trigger. If it wasn’t for a certain right hook we probably would have gotten one more year of that wonderful experience
Yep. AU's boosters are like a bunch of Jerry Joneses.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
10000%. It's good to have desirable assistants, but it's also nice to hold on to them. Not having the rotating door of coaches helps a lot.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
That reminds me. I’m gonna miss Arnett.
How long has it been since we've kept a DC this long? If he keeps up the good work here, he'll get a HC Gig but that's a hell of a lot better than sucking on D thus nobody wanting him.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
First off Leach is very good about holding onto his assistants. Supposedly they all love the work environment. Or maybe nobody trues hard to steal them. Either way I hope that trend continues for a few more years. Secondly of course recruiting is off. Auburn started trying to run Harsin off about 2 weeks after they hired him. How can he recruit under those circumstances ??

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
First off Leach is very good about holding onto his assistants. Supposedly they all love the work environment. Or maybe nobody trues hard to steal them. Either way I hope that trend continues for a few more years. Secondly of course recruiting is off. Auburn started trying to run Harsin off about 2 weeks after they hired him. How can he recruit under those circumstances ??
Just quickly googling on his tenure at Tech and WSU, it looks like he runs through DC's at about an average rate. Looks like probably 2-3 years on average before changes? Obviously would like to keep Arnett longer; I think his philosophy works well with the athletes we can consistently get. But even if we can't, if we can keep DC's for 3 years on average, that would be a nice improvement.

ChinaDawgSunflower

Aug 26, 2012

Being a fan of both MSU and the Saints, this is the default reaction for any big play : /

Sep 29, 2022
Leach's best years at Texas Tech were in years 6, 8 and 9. His best years at Washington State were years 5 to 7. I think he's shown that he will steadily build a stable and winning program that continues to get better.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

We literally fired a coach after two seasons three years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: os62

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We literally fired a coach after two seasons three years ago.
Because he sucked. It wasn't a close call where somebody was arguably building a program and needed time, or was doing ok and just not as good as people hoped. Even when it was clear he was on the hotseat, he couldn't manage to stop our starting QB from getting a broken eyesocket by his teammate or limit the plume of smoke coming from the players floor.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yea the Malzahn and Moorhead firings are totally comparable*
But the entire point was about the value of stability as a whole. Not why you may have instability. TAMU and Auburns issue isn’t instability. It’s hiring coaches that aren’t good.

Sep 4, 2012
But the entire point was about the value of stability as a whole. Not why you may have instability. TAMU and Auburns issue isn’t instability. It’s hiring coaches that aren’t good.
Auburn’s issue wasn’t hiring bad coaches, it was firing good ones (Malzahn was a good coach).

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
With Covid messing up 2020, Moorhead would have been given a pass for 2020 and coached at State for at least 2020 and 2021.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Leach has been here less than 3 years and only 29 games (in which he is 15-14) That last hard headed buffoon lasted just 2 years. How is that "bypassing instant gratification"?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Auburn’s issue wasn’t hiring bad coaches, it was firing good ones (Malzahn was a good coach).
Maybe. He was trending down. Won 52% of his sec games his last 3 years and appeared resistant to change.
But with Malzahn it wasn’t instant gratification He had been there 8 years.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe. He was trending down. Won 52% of his sec games his last 3 years and appeared resistant to change.
But with Malzahn it wasn’t instant gratification He had been there 8 years.
Auburn's problem is that boosters meddle and undermine coaches. Interviewing Petrino while Tubberville was still under contract was pretty ridiculous. Recruiting for Malzahn certainly wasn't made easier by all the boosters clamoring for his head. They're like 13 year old girls there. They wanted to fire Malzahn one minute, and then the moment they realized Arkansas wanted him they backed the brinks truck up to him with a big guarantee.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

They haven’t given Jimbo too much of a leash but they gave him way too much buyout money.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If you know the guy you've got isn't the right guy, you've gotta make a move. The worst thing any program can do is keep a coach around for the sake of "continuity." We kept Jackie too long, and we kept Croom too long, and it set us back. I'm actually proud of Cohen for pulling the plug on Moorhead so quickly because he was so obviously wrong for us.