Title IX - after Song Girl former leader

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Nonetheless, they are part of a team that’s been in existence for a little bit. If they found her coaching methods or the requirements of positive personal appearance in public to be not to their liking, there are other teams with other coaches, just like band members, athletes, debate teams, etc. No one forced them to join HER squad.
Again, it was the students responsibility to do their due diligence in finding an appropriate environment for themselves. This isn’t a workplace, it’s a team.
It wasn't HER squad. It is USC's squad. She was a coach.

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
Whether the environment doesn't bother most should never be a consideration. Women never used to speak up about sexual harassment either. It still happened.

I'm not about the Title IX office being brought in. However, there has been a long-term issue and if it took putting the spotlight on Ms Nelson to remove the harmful elements of the program, then good.
No One is forced too become a Song Girl. No One! So if this happened I'm sure by now in this era of the "Woke" and every form of victimhood known too man; it would have been brought up before this. Are there bad people, certainly. But as I said, in this the era of Entitlement & Victimhood; all one has too do is cry into a camera an the world comes too a screatching halt...

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
As I recall the issue was more than merely looks and weight. They were expected to wear makeup, even if they weren't in Song Girl mode, at classes etc. and some were forced to bleach their hair. The coach also allegedly made comments about their sexual activity. She was also found to have unfairly retaliated against 2 Song Girls who were part of the complaint by cutting the from the team based on false information.
Just wait till they hear what ROTC students are expected to live up to.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Here is the thing, USC has created the most famous cheer team in college football without having girls coming out half naked and without girls doing triple flips off someone's shoulders. They do it with the illusion of beauty and grace. And yet we still complain.

View attachment 154562
"We" complain? The women who were on the team complained. The Song Girl look is classic. It has been consistent since they've been in existence and I don't think anyone has an issue with that. I ran into an older gentleman friend at our church picnic this weekend that I hadn't seen since Covid shut things down. He knows we are a Trojan family and brings it up every time he sees me. (We live in the Midwest, so not many USC people here. He refers to USC as "Southern Cal." I love it -- evokes the glory days of the seventies. ) Anyway, he said "I saw the Red Shoes and thought of you." I said, "You mean the Song Girls?" He replied, "Yeah they always wear those red shoes." So we started talking about their iconic look and how the Song Girls haven't changed a bit and how he appreciates that. This isn't about their appearance. This is about abusive behavior from their coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: USCHusbandUCLAWife

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I've noticed at many high schools that cheerleaders no longer have to look conventionally attractive or be under a certain weight, and that's great. They should compete on school spirit, effort, and attitude, not appearance.
Yep and that was true at HBHS back when I was there in the 1990s (sadly, post-Tony Gonzalez era, and we sucked). I had some friends on the cheerleading squad who were, shall we say, "not conventionally attractive". Similarly I knew some guys in the football program whose athleticism was laughable. But that's okay -- that's high school. It's about letting kids try things and do their best.

But you want to go on and play football at USC? Meet the standard.

You want to be a Song Girl at USC? Meet the standard.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Absolutely. Why not?
Because ROTC members are contracted with the branches of the military. They are obligated to serve in the military if they receive an ROTC scholarship and even those who don't receive scholarships are required to fulfill eights years of service if they remain in the ROTC after 2 years. You can't compare being a glorified cheerleader - even at a division 1 program -- with the equivalent of boot camp/service academies.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Not anymore because of their woke feelings being hurt. Period.
On this we’ll just have to respectfully disagree
This has nothing to do with "wokeness." You have no idea what the political persuasions of these women are. Abuse is abuse. I'm sure back in your day forcing football players to practice without water and play after concussions was perfectly acceptable. It is unacceptable today and that has nothing to do with being "woke." Abuse is abuse and reasonable people can recognize it and oppose it, regardless of ideology.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
This has nothing to do with "wokeness." You have no idea what the political persuasions of these women are. Abuse is abuse. I'm sure back in your day forcing football players to practice without water and play after concussions was perfectly acceptable. It is unacceptable today and that has nothing to do with being "woke." Abuse is abuse and reasonable people can recognize it and oppose it, regardless of ideology.
You see. We disagree. You think your way. And be happy. As will I.
have a nice day.

Reactions: aimeedee

Tod78

Aug 24, 2017
It requires it if that was the standard before and when they arrived. We can argue the fine points about their lives vs restrictions placed on male athletes due to title 9 and othe effects of Brady shaming on guys, but it doesn’t matter. There was a standard when they arrived and the coaches methods didn’t seem to bother most of the women for decades. Don’t like it quit, simple.

I’m sure if Slovis came in with a gut at the start is spring or fall camp, not only would coaches be on him, but so would the press.

"You knew the environment was toxic and probably illegal and you joined anyway" has got to be the most spectacularly bad argument in defense of anything ever.

Just try using that in any workplace.

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Because ROTC members are contracted with the branches of the military. They are obligated to serve in the military if they receive an ROTC scholarship and even those who don't receive scholarships are required to fulfill eights years of service if they remain in the ROTC after 2 years. You can't compare being a glorified cheerleader - even at a division 1 program -- with the equivalent of boot camp/service academies.
It's not about 8 years of service to pay for college vs a$1,500 stipend. It has to do with meeting standards. Don't like the ROTC standards? Don't sign up to them. Don't like the Song Girls standards? Don't sign up to them.

To be clear, abusive behavior is unacceptable no matter the age or context. At the same time, correcting for abusive behavior should not implicate the purposeful weakening of high standards.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
And to be clearly clear, holding Song Girls accountable to looks, weight, makeup, and on/off-campus comportment expectations is not abuse.
How many parents have dragged their sons and daughters back into the house saying “no way you’re leaving looking like that!”..?

Reactions: White Flash

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
It's not about 8 years of service to pay for college vs a$1,500 stipend. It has to do with meeting standards. Don't like the ROTC standards? Don't sign up to them. Don't like the Song Girls standards? Don't sign up to them.

To be clear, abusive behavior is unacceptable no matter the age or context. At the same time, correcting for abusive behavior should not implicate the purposeful weakening of high standards.
Of course it is about the service in exchange for pay. People who join the ROTC are essentially making themselves government property --- or future government property. Being a Song Girl is an extracurricular activity.

As for "don't sign up," they may not have anticipated the degree of abuse until after they were in. And, yes, they can quit. But there is also nothing wrong with taking a stand. Just because "that is the way it is" doesn't mean "that is the way it has to be." There were lots of things that were acceptable in the past that are no longer acceptable. And if these women see a wrong and want to stand and fight, rather than slink away, good for them.

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Of course it is about the service in exchange for pay. People who join the ROTC are essentially making themselves government property --- or future government property. Being a Song Girl is an extracurricular activity.

As for "don't sign up," they may not have anticipated the degree of abuse until after they were in. And, yes, they can quit. But there is also nothing wrong with taking a stand. Just because "that is the way it is" doesn't mean "that is the way it has to be." There were lots of things that were acceptable in the past that are not longer acceptable. And if these women see a wrong and want to stand and fight, rather than slink away, good for them.
Promise this is my last word on this. But it’s no different than joining any other team. It’s the sole responsibility of the children and their parents to do their due diligence and nothing guarantees that they should keep their spot should they not like it… that’s why the transfer portal is so popular. But for these entitled few,the system has failed? I’m not buying it.

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Promise this is my last word on this. But it’s no different than joining any other team. It’s the sole responsibility of the children and their parents to do their due diligence and nothing guarantees that they should keep their spot should they not like it… that’s why the transfer portal is so popular. But for these entitled few,the system has failed? I’m not buying it.
The Song Girls are so iconic -- perhaps the most iconic thing left at USC. If there was a favorable/unfavorable poll, pray tell what college tradition or institution would come in as positive a ratio as the Song Girls? And how many young ladies get to graduate each year and say they were a Song Girl?

Ladies, don't lower your standards. You have a great thing going. Don't let weak women with weak minds fudge it up.

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
Well, USC's Office of Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX bought it. And their decision is a tad more influential than your opinion. Fight On!

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017

Song Boys!

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Well, USC's Office of Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX bought it. And their decision is a tad more influential than your opinion. Fight On!
They were the same ones who two or three yrs ago we’re told by a judge to reheat cases and reinstate some students? Hmm.

this wasn’t about if ISC had a right to discipline a coach, of course they do. It was about equal rights and responsibilities.

Reactions: big_pete

aimeedee

Aug 25, 2017
The Song Girls are so iconic -- perhaps the most iconic thing left at USC. If there was a favorable/unfavorable poll, pray tell what college tradition or institution would come in as positive a ratio as the Song howGirls? And how many young ladies get to graduate each year and say they were a Song Girl?

Ladies, don't lower your standards. You have a great thing going. Don't let weak women with weak minds fudge it up.
LOL! You act like these women were fat, one-armed, mutants with butch haircuts who sued because they didn't make the squad. These are women who were beautiful enough and talented enough to make the team. And the idea that them not wearing make-up on non-game days, or having brown hair versus blonde, or putting on 6 pounds would make a damn bit of difference to the iconic stature of being a Song Girl is absurd. As long as they are attractive and talented, what difference does it make to you? And, unless they are using sexual favors to recruit athletes or get good grades, their sexual life is no one's business. Given the current admission standards at USC, in addition to being beautiful and talented, they are also intelligent women. If women at that degree of perfection are experiencing mental health crises, there is something wrong with the environment. A few reasonable changes in how these women are treated isn't going to impact your sideline enjoyment in the slightest. Sheesh!

Attachments

• Alexa.jpg
    Alexa.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 10
  • adrianna.png
    adrianna.png
    373.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: zitorocks and Tod78

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Here’s the deal: if it’s classified a “varsity sport” and if there are behavior, performance and appearance standards universally (and historically) applied to everyone on the squad/team and, especially, if they signed an agreement beforehand to abide, then either abide or GTFO.

It seems everyone, everywhere is looking for special treatment for “lil old me.” I’m so sick of it.

And screw “sideline entertainment!” Personally, I wouldn’t care a twit if cheerleaders, dance teams and all of this peripheral nonsense that has nothing to do with the ongoing football game on the field would just STOP. Terminate it all. Leave the game alone.

We all know the girls are really there for eye-candy, pure and simple. The girls know it, their parents know it, the fans sure as heck know it. That’s why they dress and act the way they do, with suggestive moves in scanty costumes. It’s beyond silly.

Gain 50 pounds if you like, wear no makeup, sleep with the 7th Fleet, dance in raincoats and combat boots in the parking lot after stuffing your piehole at the potluck with your fat friends. No one would miss them but the creep in the front row with a blanket over his lap.

And the boys can still go to a hostess bar instead and see what they want; pretty girls, in makeup, dancing suggestively in scanty costumes.

Works for me.

Fan Base

Aug 24, 2017
Between the administration and the kangaroos, this will turn into bad PR, hurt the coach and cost money. Another sad story.

silversprint

Aug 24, 2017
SC is dumspter fire. Just another scandal to add to the list.

Thats why football has been placed in the back burner and Folt was brought in.

These scandals require more cleaning up than any losing football team.

+ 60% of applicants to major universities are female now and that number is growing. They don't care about football. They do care about University employees inquiring about their sex lives or school physicians sexually abusing female students.

Nothing is more important than the professional image of a University when you are charging $70k a year. When parents feel uncomfortable they may think twice about a letting their kids attend a particular school.

The prior administration takes most of the blame for neglecting all these issues including the football program.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
SC is dumspter fire. Just another scandal to add to the list.

Thats why football has been placed in the back burner and Folt was brought in.

These scandals require more cleaning up than any losing football team.

+ 60% of applicants to major universities are female now and that number is growing. They don't care about football. They do care about University employees inquiring about their sex lives or school physicians sexually abusing female students.

Nothing is more important than the professional image of a University when you are charging $70k a year. When parents feel uncomfortable they may think twice about a letting their kids attend a particular school.

The prior administration takes most of the blame for neglecting all these issues including the football program.
And yet applicants were up every year over year that the scandals broke and went on… so much so we had parents paying $500K to get their kids in the side door.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
And to be clearly clear, holding Song Girls accountable to looks, weight, makeup, and on/off-campus comportment expectations is not abuse.
Extracting it in the form of public shame and humiliation is abusive.

BTW, nobody has mentioned Ms Nelson's claims of harassment, discrimination, and retaliation by administrators at USC. She said she got "ignored" by the marketing department during football, basketball, baseball, and volleyball seasons. Says she was treated with "disdain" for years. Since she was at USC for so long, and she knew the environment.....if she had simply followed the advice of so many here, and "just quit", this current issue might never have occurred.

Reactions: Pudly76

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
And yet applicants were up every year over year that the scandals broke and went on… so much so we had parents paying $500K to get their kids in the side door.
Truly mind-boggling and accurate. Values, for many, are applicable only when it applies personally.

Reactions: Pudly76

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
LOL! You act like these women were fat, one-armed, mutants with butch haircuts who sued because they didn't make the squad. These are women who were beautiful enough and talented enough to make the team. And the idea that them not wearing make-up on non-game days, or having brown hair versus blonde, or putting on 6 pounds would make a damn bit of difference to the iconic stature of being a Song Girl is absurd. As long as they are attractive and talented, what difference does it make to you? And, unless they are using sexual favors to recruit athletes or get good grades, their sexual life is no one's business. Given the current admission standards at USC, in addition to being beautiful and talented, they are also intelligent women. If women at that degree of perfection are experiencing mental health crises, there is something wrong with the environment. A few reasonable changes in how these women are treated isn't going to impact your sideline enjoyment in the slightest. Sheesh!
I agree. Both are gorgeous. Honestly, if how they looked in uniform and out of uniform shouldn't have been an issue. They should have just quit. Lawsuit worthy? I think it's a stretch. What about sororities? Or fraternities. I believe both are student organizations endorsed by the university, that definitely discriminate based on how people look and/or their personalities. I think we are overlegislating in this world. It's going to get to the point where nobody can possibly meet the standards expected in society or by the law.

Latest posts