USC BBQ Pittmasters

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
New offset vertical smoker incoming!! 🪵🪵💨💨

101DC286-5EF9-43E8-8288-ACCC8FA676BF.jpeg

Just for fun …

53C24E1E-03D9-4AAF-94F4-3FD70FCFE046.jpeg

With football season upon us I couldn’t wait to get a new smoker. If you’ve been on Scoop before the merge this was a popular thread for many members. Please feel free to post all your bbq journeys and other bbq related content. Warning: you could get thread right revoked if you post chicken jkjk 😂 this only happened once.

CP619

Aug 24, 2017
Traeger and Weber, all I've ever needed.

I smoked some Baby Back Ribs on Monday that were beyond FIRE. I've been working on every little detail for BBRs the past 10 years or so (dry rub, cooking techniques, sauce, internal temp, etc). I finally think I have everything perfect for a competition.

Losing the Pac12 championship game to the Zeros while eating duck wasn't fun. Duck was great but the Trojans needed more smoke and flavor that particular day.

I will post our Road Game BBQ menu if you continue these threads. Home games, we're there. ✌️

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021

I smoked some Baby Back Ribs on Monday that were beyond FIRE. I've been working on every little detail for BBRs the past 10 years or so (dry rub, cooking techniques, sauce, internal temp, etc). I finally think I have everything perfect for a competition.

Losing the Pac12 championship game to the Zeros while eating duck wasn't fun. Duck was great but the Trojans needed more smoke and flavor that particular day.

I will post our Road Game BBQ menu if you continue these threads. Home games, we're there. ✌️

I’ve kept telling myself this year I’ll attend at least one away game. It’d be great to catch a tailgate bbq with fellow Trojans. ✌🏼✌🏼

Now the ribs . Ive cheated using a sous vide a few times and smoke finish which is both pretty low and slow temperatures. That’s how I roll with Ribs. Now with a proper smoker I’ll do some more learning and experimentation with various meats I find. The reason I chose this model smoker is the vertical a lot more cu. in. and some space saving. Using the bottom rack for high temp and top for lower temp will come in handy too. As far as Traeger I couldn’t Bc I’m still fairly novice and more interested in learning the conventional the process.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018

I smoked some Baby Back Ribs on Monday that were beyond FIRE.

I made some pork ribs in my Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill two months ago that were really fire (and by "fire" I mean that it was literally ON FIRE!). I was too lazy to read the manual, and I had done probably 6 to 8 briskets, 4 to 6 rib racks, and various steaks without really doing a good cleaning. Well, as I was smoking these ribs, my wife complained that there was heavy white smoke billowing. First, I speculated that meant USC finally fired Clay Helton, but that wasn't the case. It turns out that there was a huge grease fire consuming the inside of my smoker. I turned the thing off, and that damn fire continued burning for another 10 to 15 minutes.

Sadly, I tried to smoke another rack this past weekend, and Daniel Boone promptly told me, "F YOU, BUDDY!"

It is a very, very sad story and a cautionary tale to all would-be BBQ masters. You would think that Scott Rod would have had my back and coached me up. SMH.

Last edited:

Scott Rodriguez

Apr 28, 2018
I made some pork ribs in my Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill two months ago that were really FIRE (and by "fire" I mean that it was literally ON FIRE!). I was too lazy to read the manual, and I had done probably 6 to 8 briskets, 4 to 6 rib racks, and various steaks without really doing a good cleaning. Well, as I was smoking these ribs, my wife complained that there was heavy white smoke billowing. First, I thought that maybe USC finally fired Helton, but that wasn't the case. It turns out that there was a huge grease fire consuming the inside of my smoker. I turned the thing off, and that damn fire continued burning for another 15 to 20 minutes. Sadly, I tried to smoke another rack this past weekend, but Daniel Boone told be "F YOU, BUDDY!"

It is a very, very sad story and a cautionary tale to all would-be BBQ masters. You would think that Scott Rod would have had my back and coached me up. SMH.
Lol!!

Reactions: ScottSchrader

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
I’ll be in the south lawn with some of the Oline families

I’m assuming you’ve cleared all the protocols for Saturday Bc you are Resident BBQ Pittmaster for a reason Scott Rod. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thank you.

6357D815-E14F-41FC-A0D0-07C583944420.jpeg692FCC9E-DE4A-43AC-8C38-8102FD498F06.jpeg

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018

View attachment 151919

Just for fun …

View attachment 151918

With football season upon us I couldn’t wait to get a new smoker. If you’ve been on Scoop before the merge this was a popular thread for many members. Please feel free to post all your bbq journeys and other bbq related content. Warning: you could get thread right revoked if you post chicken jkjk 😂 this only happened once.
Did they say that the heat is highest on the bottom? I would have thought that it'd be building at the top, waiting to escape through the chimney.

Also, would you be able to lay a whole brisket in there without cutting it up?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Rodriguez

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
This is where I have been for a while, but I really want to add a blackstone to the backyard. I have a small one for camping, but I really like the versatility of it.
There you go! That'll do. You will be armed and dangerous! :cool:

Last edited:

Ojaitrojan

Mar 1, 2019
Gents, next time the Men of Troy are in Texas I'm throwing my talents into the tailgate. Reverse flow stick burner, post oak used, all sides cooked in the smoker as well. Rub I use is my own, feel free to look it up!

Attachments

• 20210909_115036.jpg
    20210909_115036.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 40954.jpeg
    40954.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 13

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Gents, next time the Men of Troy are in Texas I'm throwing my talents into the tailgate. Reverse flow stick burner, post oak used, all sides cooked in the smoker as well. Rub I use is my own, feel free to look it up!
Crap! We in trouble now! Men speaking vainly of their BBQ exploits have caught both ear and ire of the Gods, who had lovingly bestowed flame upon the mortals but reserved the privilege of smoke as the sole right of Olympus. Woe unto he who dares dress the stag with the soul of the oak. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Last edited:

TrojanInSF

Sep 10, 2017
Gonna fire up a six pound pork butt on the BGE (splurged earlier this summer).

Figure I'll get the coals going around 8:00, put the meat on around 9:00-9:30 and should be good to go by 6:00-6:30. One hour rest and we'll be chowing down right around kickoff.

✌️

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021

View attachment 151919

Just for fun …

View attachment 151918

I had a Traeger for many years. It was great for large cuts of meat, pork butts and prime rib etc but I never had success with ribs on the Traeger so I sold it.
I now have 5 bbq's. A PK grill for charcoal, a Santa Maria grill which In will be doing tri tip and corn today. I also my favorite smoker which is a great value under $400 and is great for ribs, turkey, split chicken etc a "Pit Barrel " cooker , a Weber Summit gas grill and lastly a Caliber Kamodo grill. Each grill is best for certain things.....Happy bbqing and Fight On!

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
I had a Traeger for many years. It was great for large cuts of meat, pork butts and prime rib etc but I never had success with ribs on the Traeger so I sold it.
I now have 5 bbq's. A PK grill for charcoal, a Santa Maria grill which In will be doing tri tip and corn today. I also my favorite smoker which is a great value under $400 and is great for ribs, turkey, split chicken etc a "Pit Barrel " cooker , a Weber Summit gas grill and lastly a Caliber Kamodo grill. Each grill is best for certain things.....Happy bbqing and Fight On!

With ribs I’ve had great success w a combo of using sous vide and smoke finish . I’ll try to top rack in the barrel for ribs and see how it does.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Just breaking in this new smoker w beef ribs, links and wagyu burgers. 🔥🔥

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Just breaking in this new smoker w beef ribs, links and wagyu burgers. 🔥🔥
Why wagyu? Seems like if I was going to pay the price, I’d rather have a steak… but good luck with your new rig!! Smoke On amigo

Reactions: 03burrito

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Why wagyu? Seems like if I was going to pay the price, I’d rather have a steak… but good luck with your new rig!! Smoke On amigo

Wagyu burgers are a fraction of the cost of wagyu steak. Dress em up anyway you like.

Reactions: Pudly76

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021

Save the poke 🐟🐟🐟.
I did a first smoke on the vertical offset about 6 hours for beef ribs (Costco) and wagyu burgers about 2-3 hours. Amazing smoke flavor and traeger rub w Hawaiian bbq sauce. Also got grass fed beef links on for 4-5 hours smoked. Best discovery yet and it got even better re-heating using the air fryer, tasted just out of the smoker. Gonna go another round over the weekend with more burgers and haven’t decided what else yet. 150-200 degrees did the trick with kiawe I brought home from hawaii .

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Save the poke 🐟🐟🐟.
I did a first smoke on the vertical offset about 6 hours for beef ribs (Costco) and wagyu burgers about 2-3 hours. Amazing smoke flavor and traeger rub w Hawaiian bbq sauce. Also got grass fed beef links on for 4-5 hours smoked. Best discovery yet and it got even better re-heating using the air fryer, tasted just out of the smoker. Gonna go another round over the weekend with more burgers and haven’t decided what else yet. 150-200 degrees did the trick with kiawe I brought home from hawaii .
Man rule #1 you poke it, you own it…

Latest posts