USC BBQ Pittmasters

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Why wagyu? Seems like if I was going to pay the price, I’d rather have a steak… but good luck with your new rig!! Smoke On amigo

I sort of agree with you here. The whole thing about wagyu is that you get the marbling throughout an intact piece of meat. If the meat is going to be ground up anyway, it seems like you can go with regular beef and just increase the fat percentage.

Reactions: 03burrito

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I sort of agree with you here. The whole thing about wagyu is that you get the marbling throughout an intact piece of meat. If the meat is going to be ground up anyway, it seems like you can go with regular beef and just increase the fat percentage.
That was my thought.. but that’s what makes the world go round✌🏾✌️✌🏾✌️

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
My uncle caught it about 90 miles out

Capisco!

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
EC8B920F-76C0-48D0-9D33-6097B869302E.jpegEC8B920F-76C0-48D0-9D33-6097B869302E.jpegStanford up 10-0 just makes this bbq taste so much better lmao

Chorizo hanging on top rack , NY bone in steaks ,thick cut bacon , pork shoulder bottom rack. Not pictured the salmon on cedar plank. Regular away game bbq . 😁😁

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Gonna find a monster brisket for a two week age then a long smoke. Gotta hit Winco or Smart+Final
You like the wet age. So you trim your fat prior to aging then? I prefer dry age and leave the fat to “dry”. When I cook steaks, I diamond score and then salt the fat heavily so it wicks the moisture out and makes for crunchy edges.

Scott Rodriguez

Apr 28, 2018
You like the wet age. So you trim your fat prior to aging then? I prefer dry age and leave the fat to “dry”. When I cook steaks, I diamond score and then salt the fat heavily so it wicks the moisture out and makes for crunchy edges.
I do trim them, but I don’t take all of it off.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018

Reactions: 4heisman

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I made some pork ribs in my Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill two months ago that were really fire (and by "fire" I mean that it was literally ON FIRE!). I was too lazy to read the manual, and I had done probably 6 to 8 briskets, 4 to 6 rib racks, and various steaks without really doing a good cleaning. Well, as I was smoking these ribs, my wife complained that there was heavy white smoke billowing. First, I speculated that meant USC finally fired Clay Helton, but that wasn't the case. It turns out that there was a huge grease fire consuming the inside of my smoker. I turned the thing off, and that damn fire continued burning for another 10 to 15 minutes.

Sadly, I tried to smoke another rack this past weekend, and Daniel Boone promptly told me, "F YOU, BUDDY!"

It is a very, very sad story and a cautionary tale to all would-be BBQ masters. You would think that Scott Rod would have had my back and coached me up. SMH.
You’re a legit funny dude. Well done.

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
Even as a vegetarian this all looks amazing.

Anybody ever chop up oak whiskey barrel staves and use them to smoke?

I'm from the town outside Cincinnati where Midwest Grain Products (the old Seagrams Distillery) is based.
You used to be able to get half barrels there for like $25. I think those days are long past, but the concept still holds.

Between this little secret and his dry rub perfected over a couple decades, my father's ribs were legendary.
He refused to even put a wet sauce on them and you didn't need it.
(I wish he'd entered them into a competition, but that's not how he was wired. RIP)

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018

I'm from the town outside Cincinnati where Midwest Grain Products (the old Seagrams Distillery) is based.
You used to be able to get half barrels there for like $25. I think those days are long past, but the concept still holds.

Between this little secret and his dry rub perfected over a couple decades, my father's ribs were legendary.
(I wish he'd entered them into a competition, but that's not how he was wired. RIP)
Never chopped them myself, but bought them that way. Great nuance of flavor from the whiskey. My other favorite is using citrus wood (lemon or orange) for smoking salmon or pork.

Not many speak about it, but anyone ever grill peaches (any stone fruit really) to go along with their pork?? Yumm….

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Never chopped them myself, but bought them that way. Great nuance of flavor from the whiskey. My other favorite is using citrus wood (lemon or orange) for smoking salmon or pork.

Not many speak about it, but anyone ever grill peaches (any stone fruit really) to go along with their pork?? Yumm….
Could you pickup a bottle of booze and soak them in whiskey (an hour?) for some similar effect?

Reactions: Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Could you pickup a bottle of booze and soak them in whiskey (an hour?) for some similar effect?
I’d think ahead and soak them for a week (or a couple days) then take em out a day ahead to dry some. Save the extra booze for next time..

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018

That's interesting. Nowadays, I think there's a bit more competition for those barrels as more and more breweries are trying to do bourbon-barrel-aged beers, bourbon-barrel maple syrup, etc.

I've done ribs using the 3-2-1 method where I've added bourbon during the braise phase, but I'm sure it's still different using the oak from the barrels.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018

That sounds really yummy.

I'm probably smoking a duck this weekend, and I'm thinking about smoking the maple syrup first (separately, along with the meat) then applying that to the duck later on.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
That sounds really yummy.

I'm probably smoking a duck this weekend, and I'm thinking about smoking the maple syrup first (separately, along with the meat) then applying that to the duck later on.
Just be careful when smoking glazes. It’s like salt, once it’s in there you can’t get it out. I like to glaze it on the duck (anything really) at the end and just picking up a hint of smoke from the dying embers. If you want it stronger, add a chunk of wood 15 minutes before glazing…

But hey, everyone has their own flavor palate.
💥✌️💥✌🏾💥✌️💥

Latest posts