USC Offense - The Fewer Words the Better!

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
From a USC player after the game Saturday night…..

“Our offense has no run game and wide receivers running routes that don’t get them open.”

Hard to believe the offense is struggling, right? 👌🏼

ScottSchrader

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 21, 2021
Usually gets worse before it gets better . How much worse SS?

I’m shocked at how dominated the DLine has been by Stanford and Oregon St.

Forget the scheme for this discussion, but it matters that USC doesn’t have Jay Toia, Brandon Pili, Sopsher (looks like he cares very little) and Kobe Pepe. USC has smaller dudes getting manhandled in the middle. They’d love to have Caleb Tremblay too I’m sure.

So from my perspective unless a miracle happens, it’s gonna be a struggle to win each game…especially without Dart.

ILOVEFOOTBALL

Aug 30, 2021

Forget the scheme for this discussion, but it matters that USC doesn’t have Jay Toia, Brandon Pili, Sopsher (looks like he cares very little) and Kobe Pepe. USC has smaller dudes getting manhandled in the middle. They’d love to have Caleb Tremblay too I’m sure.

So from my perspective unless a miracle happens, it’s gonna be a struggle to win each game…especially without Dart.
It has the potential to be the worst season in Trojan history. That is the truth. Go look at the history.

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Hard for me to endlessly examine our current team. Helton had several seasons to turn our football program into a laughingstock and he did just that.

He dug the (W)hole deeper and deeper each season. We don’t have a stock of players like Georgia or Alabama—we have a team of USC players who came here willing to play for Helton.

I can’t even blame Helton. He was offered a lot of money and accepted it. I am reviewing the decisions of Haden, Swann and Bohn.

I know what everyone here—with the exception of Conquest81– was screaming for the last three plus years was. You wanted Helton out.

But your requests were ignored. You were just fans and you can’t let the fans make the hard decisions.

They were wrong! They were very wrong. I hope USC listens to you guys this time. You are USC. We are USC. And what they have done to our football program is very disappointing, very sad.

Fight on and fix this!

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021

The timing of losing Tremblay w emergence of Toia hurts a lot right now .

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
It is hard to face down and comment on what everybody including non-football minds know already.
On when he[BJ Baylor] felt like they had USC beat:
"When we first got on offense, our offensive line was just dominating the whole game, every offensive possession. The offensive line was just pushing them back, and the holes were just opening, so I'll give all the praise to the offensive line."

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
Schemes and alignments/assignments can only do so much. If the players DON'T or Can't properly play the position, why are they out there?? Sadly the answer is: Because. Because the rules say we have to 11 players on the field. Because as one poster correctly commented, the "talent" available came here to play for Clay. And we all know how well he was at evaluating/developing talent and the final decision to offer or not a scholly rested on his shoulders... ahem

The sad thruth is Donte may have flown into MIG Alley only too find out the tanks are on fumes, he's fresh outta missiles and only has a handful of rounds should he switch to guns...

The AirFarce is an Offensive offense to watch. I can only imagine what it must be like if you're a player in it... Helton is gone. (Finally) Harrell's head is the next one that needs to be foisted upon a stick... Whomever is the next HC they damn well better hire an OC that Knows how to install a Dominating run game. Put the QB under center (at least part of the time) and then recruit the players who can make it work! That will start with Dominant roadgraders. Second, recruit RB's that punish a defense like a Bunkerbuster bein dropped on an enemy command center.

Not here to just rip on that Offensive offense. Defense; would it be too much to ask for someone besides the safeties too make a tackle?!?!? LB's how bout ya fill a gap and WRAP UP when tackling, not just go up an lean on the guy in hopes he falls down... Sopsher, son when the Hell you gonna get with it?? Are you gonna suit up (on game day) and play or were you just phonin it in hoping the league calls cuz you WERE at Bama??? I had a Co. Gunny who loved guys like you. He said guys like you have a terminal case of LAS. (Lazy *** Syndrome) Only Show up for chow and to be dismissed for weekend liberty. My guess is you haven't skipped any trips too the chowline...

Reactions: big_pete

ScottSchrader

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 21, 2021
Not sure it's the play calling. That would be easy to fix. Or at least easier. The problem is the scheme. And you can't install a whole new offense in the middle of the season. That will have to wait for the spring. What Dart added was the dimension of a mobile QB that can buy time until receivers got open.
Not only the mobility part can be big with JDART, he likes the chances of his USC receiver making a grab over a defender when the defender is running full speed down field with his guy. Jaxson doesn't care if the receiver isn't "open" so to speak. There's very little indecisiveness like there has been with Kedon.

Offensive players have told me they liked how fast the offense was run last Saturday, too.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
I noticed Dart went downfield way more and it wasn’t even close. The funny thing is on one play he threw the ball almost into the end zone and the DB intercepted it . That ended up being horrible field position for the opposing team and one of USCs better punt on the day. Haha . I guess in some instances it pays to take a risk like that and this case flip the field .

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Let's compare.
1941, 2-6-1
1950, 2-5-2
1957, 1-9
1983, Tollner's first year 4-6-1; choked the extra point in the first game
1991, 3-8, a loss to Memphis State at home to start the season, got thumped at Cal
2000, 5-7
2018, 5-7

Looks like 1957 is the worst season. USC already has 2 wins this year.

Those aren’t the seasons we ever like to revisit, but yeah this is feeling kind of 1983-ish.

A hot mess.

gubo&palanka

Sep 23, 2017
Jonathan Smith or a dozen other coaches on our "list" could fix or at least drastically improve this offense OVERNIGHT by implementing simple and obvious changes to the scheme. It is unbelievable that Harrell runs an offense that depends on the jump ball as its major weapon.

Don't listen to me: Shaun Cody also said it last night. He was very disapproving of our go-to play.

Latest posts