USC officially joins B10

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
Nahhhh... it had to happen sometime and with the way things have gone the last few years, this makes sense. However I had envisioned it as Stanford and USC not ucla and USC...
Stanford may follow

Oldschoolrock

Aug 24, 2017
The travel will be intense, it add a day to all away games, you might be able to get first flight out for afternoon games...

Reactions: Pudly76

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"From 2005 through 2019, road teams that traveled less than 200 miles won 42.9 percent of the time, the highest win percentage of any 200-mile increment analyzed. For comparison, teams that traveled more than 1,000 miles won 38.2 percent of their games....

There’s plenty of research to suggest that travel effects and circadian rhythms affect team performance. It turns out that it’s usually difficult to travel long distances and then play at peak levels."

Add in the potential for multiple road trips for play-offs.....challenges for everyone.

Reactions: shane2020

EdtheConquerer17

Dec 13, 2020
Klivakoff must be losing his mind right now.

Hopefully Oregon, Stanford, Colorado, and Utah, Washington, and California follow us. The rest should join the BIG XII.

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
"From 2005 through 2019, road teams that traveled less than 200 miles won 42.9 percent of the time, the highest win percentage of any 200-mile increment analyzed. For comparison, teams that traveled more than 1,000 miles won 38.2 percent of their games....

There’s plenty of research to suggest that travel effects and circadian rhythms affect team performance. It turns out that it’s usually difficult to travel long distances and then play at peak levels."

Add in the potential for multiple road trips for play-offs.....challenges for everyone.
There are ways to work around travel schedules. I suggested USC build an away practice field with lodging accommodations. Maybe call it Troy Camp or something. When they have consecutive away games they don't need to fly out West again until they have a home game. A few bye weeks mixed in and clever scheduling ought to do the trick. The facility can be used by all travel USC teams. I think some creative thinking is what's needed. Out with the old and in with the new. Prepare for the bowl system to get mothballed. Super conferences will make it a relic system. It's going to be a full blown playoffs when everything gets worked out.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I read that the only sport excluded from this deal is beach volleyball which makes sense. So many good teams for indoor volleyball, the expanded recruiting footprint might right the ship.

It does create issues for other sports. The Pac12 was a great conference for softball. Weather acclimation will be for real. Same with soccer. Track? Nobody runs that well in chilly weather. How much more money are the new Big10 teams willing to fork out to pay for all that travel?

Reactions: EdtheConquerer17

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
Will they be invited?
I cannot see them trying to align with any other conference. I thought maybe the Ivy League, but Stanford's athletics are at a much higher level than theirs. B1G makes the most sense for them, but not sure how the B1G feels about it. I would assume it would be a good fit academically and athletically.

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
Why does the BIG want Fucla? Fucla ain't sh*t.

The Zeroes and Uncle Phil shitting their collective pants right now.
It was probably a package deal. USC and UCLA are the LA college football TV market. I doubt USC or UCLA wanted to make the move without the other. They probably worked together to make the deal.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
It was probably a package deal. USC and UCLA are the LA college football TV market. I doubt USC or UCLA wanted to make the move without the other. They probably worked together to make the deal.
Protecting the ND and ucla rivalry games was likely a "must have" for USC. It guarantees one local "away" game and we're already familiar with ND.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"...in the beginning of June, Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff sounded very confident something like that wouldn't happen.

I have no concern about our schools,” Kliavkoff said on June 6, via Oregon Live.

“We had the opportunity when conference realignment was going on last summer to canvas our president and chancellors and it is clear to me that everyone who’s in the Pac-12 is committed to the Pac-12. I’m not worried about that. We’re not looking to expand; we had lots of opportunities to expand. We’re really happy at 12.”

Maybe that was the problem all along. Some schools, just like individual athletes, need to be constantly recruited.....or else they hit the transfer portal.

Reactions: The Lizard King

Troyview

Jun 20, 2018
I cannot see them trying to align with any other conference. I thought maybe the Ivy League, but Stanford's athletics are at a much higher level than theirs. B1G makes the most sense for them, but not sure how the B1G feels about it. I would assume it would be a good fit academically and athletically.
Will be interesting to watch the various chess moves over the next couple of months.

Reactions: sctrojan2006

3rd Slide

Aug 24, 2017
I guess the San Fran weekender just became the Madison/Ann Arbor weekender. Sure as hell won't be the Columbus weekender.

• Haha
Reactions: Pudly76

Gr8ythunter

Aug 24, 2017
So Cal kids playing in the snow is no bueno for the W-L record.

Undefeated in the Pac12 much more doable than doing it in the Big 10. ..... making a trip to the CFP more difficult.

Last edited: