USC vs ASU Game Thread

Who's High Pitch?

Sep 13, 2017
Isnit me, or does Rice seem particularly slow(ish) and rather pedestrian. The pass on the opening drive was the first time i think I've seen him be open. Maybe he's just a particularly good blocker? What am I missing?

Reactions: Canyon.usc

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
Nice 2nd half from the defense. Hope we improve over the next two weeks. Fight On!
It was. It was like two separate games. In the first half we could not contain and did not get to the QB once. In the second half we sacked him at least 3 times. LR did something we have not seen in years....second half adjustments. They used 4 down linemen against us. They really spread their right defensive end out so he could run a more direct outside rush at Caleb from his blind side.

Reactions: shane2020

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Over all good win for the team. Caleb played well, his A+ passing game came back and lead the O as always. Only one mistake, that IT in the red zone, score could have been 49 points. Man, CW is one hell of a QB and only a Soph. He plays like a seasoned senior QB.

Caleb Williams273773.0 %348 yds3 TD's1 IT173.3 QBR

The Good. The D made good adjustments in the 2nd half. But, the LB's and DB's got to improve on tackling. Geeze come on Arizona St looked too good, scoring 25 points. Good to see Addison, Wr getting mucho receptions. Good to see #81, Kyle Ford getting a reception and seeing the field. I think Kyle could be a very good, reliable possession type Wr, he is very strong and sure hands. #31 DL Taleni, #47 DL Taufoou, should play more these boys are hard nose FB players. #51 DL Byrd is a big surprise, he is playing very good FB for the D.

Gripe. Who were the officials (league)? Man, those pass interference and OL holding calls against USC were dumb, bad calls! Focused on #0, C.Foreman, dam he is not playing good FB. CF is easily blocked, can't get to QB, misses tackling RB's on his side. Do not know what's going on with CF? And, the OL without Dedich struggled (#66, Quinones was a big drop off and listed 6-4 on the roster, no way, looks more like 6-1 maybe 6-2), pass protection broke down (CW had to scramble on many passing plays), did not see down field blocking like previous games on passing plays, run blocking was just average. With the lack of OL depth, I'm sure the 1st string are beat up.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalN8tiv

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
Isnit me, or does Rice seem particularly slow(ish) and rather pedestrian. The pass on the opening drive was the first time i think I've seen him be open. Maybe he's just a particularly good blocker? What am I missing?

No, he has pretty decent wheels. While at CU I saw him break away for TDs on punt returns take a hitch 60 yards for a TD, etc.

Reactions: Who's High Pitch?

Who's High Pitch?

Sep 13, 2017
Also, why does CW look like he doesn't go through progressions? Is it the online not holding up, so he's having to scramble? His int in the endzone just looked like he just predetermined to throw there regardless of coverage.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
You're right. Rice does not possess break away type speed after the catch. He does not have juking and quick burst to out run DB's, easily caught and tackled. He has average speed/quickness. Addison, Mario, Taj, Bryant are fast, speedy, quick Wr's. He is easy to take down, lacks strength to break off DB's grasp. Rice does have decent hands and OK blocker.

Besides Addison and Mario, I like Taj a lot. Shoot, next year Zach Branch and Makai Lemon are gonna contribute big time and will be awesome WR for USC. Can't wait to see them play already...

Heck, I've said this before, I think Domani Jackson should practice Wr and be a dual (D & O) type player, just like Adoree Jackson. Shoot, with Domani's speed and in C.LR O, he would be a scary Wr. I feel Domani would be one heck of a Wr...

Last edited:

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Would rather see DC Grinch do more in game adjustments on the sidelines. Seems like he actually waits for halftime, which lacks a sense of urgency. Those defensive adjustments to guard the edges and get after the QB have to be done a lot quicker IMHO. I'm glad he got the defense adjusted and USC was able to hold off the Devils despite assistance AZ got from our head-in-the-clouds PacXII officials. Good win for USC but they looked flat. Easily could have hung 60 on AZ and held them to two fewer TDs.

Reactions: 808Trojans

808Trojans

Nov 14, 2020
Also, why does CW look like he doesn't go through progressions? Is it the online not holding up, so he's having to scramble? His int in the endzone just looked like he just predetermined to throw there regardless of coverage.
Looked like the O-line breaking down to me, especially in the 1st half. First two series would have been 2 punts instead of 2 TD's with just about any other QB in the nation. Needed 2 superhero escapes for 3rd down conversions with his legs, That int on the 1st series of the 2nd half was just a poor decision and underthrown fade to Addison after 4 straight beautiful throws to set up 1st and goal. Not my choice for play call either on 1st and goal.

TrojanMoondoggie

Aug 24, 2017
As we get ready for potentially great games with both Washington St. and Utah, I'm wondering if this is going to be one of those teams that does better against better teams. I recall our NC teams when we could get some real scares by teams that were unranked or at least not highly-ranked teams. But then we would do very well against stronger teams.