USC's offensive line 'not good enough' against Washington State (On3+)

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
The AirRaid's wide splits were also supposed to create wider running lanes for the RB to find a hole. The only thing it's producing is wider gaps for blitzes to come through and for DL's to run around the OL's.

Weird thing is, all this lack of rungame production, aren't they seeing this in practice? Couldn't they figure out it isn't working in practice against the likes of Drake Jackson and Figueroa...rather than wait to see it fail vs. Wazzu & SJSt.? Cuz if it's working against Jackson/Figueroa but not Wazzu...that's an even scarier thought.

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
The AirRaid's wide splits were also supposed to create wider gaps for the RB to find a hole. The only thing it's producing is wider gaps for blitzes to come through and for DL's to run around the OL's.

Weird thing is, all this lack of rungame production, aren't they seeing this in practice? Couldn't they figure out it isn't working in practice against the likes of Drake Jackson and Figueroa...rather than wait to see it fail vs. Wazzu & SJSt.? Cuz if it's working against Jackson/Figueroa but not Wazzu...that's an even scarier thought.
You'd think that would be the case.

oldrondavis

Sep 6, 2021
i liked everything that McQuire had to see until the end of the article he said "We have to do a better job of holding them more accountable"

I'm sorry - that's got to be one of the top jobs of a position coach - hold the players responsible If you don't then your second-string players give up on you as a coach. Why perform if performance doesn't matter? Why compete if the competition on Saturday doesn't count for anything??
You said it better than I have tried for years now.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Until we have a new OC and a new offensive scheme, this is going to continue to be a problem no matter who is playing on the OL.
Agreed, but there's plenty of blame/accountability on the players as well. Scheme didn't force Mckenzie to get bulldozed. Scheme didn't cause Neilon to consistently get overpowered. That's basic OL drill stuff, under any scheme.

There's a combination of problems going on here. Layers of dysfunction that each have to be unraveled and addressed.

oajr01

Aug 24, 2017
When we ran student body right back in the day the opposing team knew we were coming and could not stop us. We executed. When was the last time we had a great running game and great offensive line? Just sayin'
See Reggie Bush, Lendale White.....Pete Carroll.......an amazing o-line!!!!!!!!!

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
If you pick your nose 85% of the time with your right hand, the odds are you won’t be effective when you use your left hand. This issue has nothing to do with the talent…..
Never heard that one...a little gross lol.

Talent and potential is there. Trying to keep things simple and not jump into the scheme rabbit hole, not sure what the explanation is for OL's being pushed around...regardless of the playcall/offense. A RT in a basic backpedal for passpro getting bumrushed and pushed around...can't blame that on scheme.

These are basic drills used at HS recruiting camps. This is Tackle-101 stuff.

The Center getting ragdolled, that wouldn't cut it in any offense.

If you want to go down the scheme rabbit hole, perhaps you can argue the offense creates a soft culture and puts OL's on their heels. Even so, at some point, the player has to have pride and stand his ground. As I mentioned previously, I don't understand the physics of a 320lbs Sr. RT getting pushed around by a 240lbs Fr. DE.

Scott Rodriguez

Apr 28, 2018
Never heard that one...a little gross lol.

Talent and potential is there. Trying to keep things simple and not jump into the scheme rabbit hole, not sure what the explanation is for OL's being pushed around...regardless of the playcall/offense. A RT in a basic backpedal for passpro getting bumrushed and pushed around...can't blame that on scheme.

These are basic drills used at HS recruiting camps. This is Tackle-101 stuff.

The Center getting ragdolled, that wouldn't cut it in any offense.

If you want to go down the scheme rabbit hole, perhaps you can argue the offense creates a soft culture and puts OL's on their heels. Even so, at some point, the player has to have pride and stand his ground. As I mentioned previously, I don't understand the physics of a 320lbs Sr. RT getting pushed around by a 240lbs Fr. DE.
You play like u practice…

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
You play like u practice…
Many of these players are on their 3rd OL Coach (if I recall correctly). Three OL Coaches are all practicing soft? Was Drevno soft?

Anyway, no point in beating a dead horse...I hope change is on its way...I'm hopeful.

Reactions: Pudly76

oldrondavis

Sep 6, 2021
Many of these players are on their 3rd OL Coach (if I recall correctly). Three OL Coaches are all practicing soft? Was Drevno soft?

Anyway, no point in beating a dead horse...I hope change is on its way...I'm hopeful.
Man, me too... I remember how high Garry was on the old friend of the family guy... whatever his name.

Latest posts