Utah quarterback drama

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
Grad transfer Charlie Brewer came to Utah from Baylor and won the starting quarterback job for the Utes, beating out Cam Rising, who was the starter in 2020. During the third quarter of the multiple-overtime loss to San Diego State, Rising replaced Brewer and finished the game for Utah.

Today, Brewer left the Utah program. Utah football provided this statement to the Salt Lake Tribune: "Charlie has decided to move on and we wish him the best." Brewer has already been removed from the official roster. This leaves Utah with two true freshmen and a walk-on sophomore behind Rising

USC hosts Utah on October 9.

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
Grad transfer Charlie Brewer came to Utah from Baylor and won the starting quarterback job for the Utes, beating out Cam Rising, who was the starter in 2020. During the third quarter of the multiple-overtime loss to San Diego State, Rising replaced Brewer and finished the game for Utah.

Today, Brewer left the Utah program. Utah football provided this statement to the Salt Lake Tribune: "Charlie has decided to move on and we wish him the best." Brewer has already been removed from the official roster. This leaves Utah with two true freshmen and a walk-on sophomore behind Rising

USC hosts Utah on October 9.
Is there a limit on the number of times a player can transfer?

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Yo...I hope Kedon doesn't do the same.
I’ll be surprised if he does. I think his character is much higher than this example.
I don’t think he can even make a case to himself that he has played well this season. His best course of action ( easy for me to say) if he loses his spot, is to suck it up and stay ready, because chances are, he’ll be needed again. Then, if the situation ends up like we all think it will, he can transfer somewhere else where he can have a really good chance of playing another year in college, or he can declare for the draft. He has enough film where someone will take him.

He has enough talent where he could shine with the right coaches a system

TrojanInSF

Sep 10, 2017
I’ll be surprised if he does. I think his character is much higher than this example.
I don’t think he can even make a case to himself that he has played well this season. His best course of action ( easy for me to say) if he loses his spot, is to suck it up and stay ready, because chances are, he’ll be needed again. Then, if the situation ends up like we all think it will, he can transfer somewhere else where he can have a really good chance of playing another year in college, or he can declare for the draft. He has enough film where someone will take him.

He has enough talent where he could shine with the right coaches a system

I'd agree with this.

Assuming he's on a 3-year track to graduate (which every QB should pursue to keep eligibility options open, IMO), he can finish this season and transfer with up to 2 years left (or technically even 3 if he only appears in one more game this season).

But - we'll see. He's still a great QB and Dart has just 1 game under his belt. Won't be stunned if it's #9 this Saturday night.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Utah is falling apart, things have gotten stale for Whittingham, it's time for him to move on. Don't think they can do better than Wittingham, but much like Coach Riley at OSU, sometimes that relationship just gets stale and change is needed, on both sides.

Much like OSU w/ Riley, the fanbase can be fickle, but apathetic at the same time. No OSU fan realistically thought they could find a better coach than Riley, but all OSU fans agreed that program was going nowhere and doing the same thing year after year w/ lesser success was getting old.

That's where Utah is now. I don't see them headed in a better direction either, for the QB, their recruiting or anything else. If anything, BYU will be digging into their recruiting even more.

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
I do not think I ever heard a college QB utter "I deserved to be replaced, the coaches did everything they could so we could be successful and I will bust my butt this week to get better and be ready."

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
I do not think I ever heard a college QB utter "I deserved to be replaced, the coaches did everything they could so we could be successful and I will bust my butt this week to get better and be ready."
I get what you're saying, but they don't normally invite the QB that was replaced to the postgame podium to answer questions. It's quite possible many QB's would say this, but there's no venue to ask nor would the team really want to make that possible.

If a QB transfers, then obviously he feels the problem is not him.

Reactions: Socrates

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
This is a very bad Utah team. You could see this coming Utah has not recruited all that well the last 3 years. They choose to use the portal instead. Some guys are in the portal for a reason you shouldn’t put all your eggs in that basket.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Yo...I hope Kedon doesn't do the same.
I think Kedon is more level-headed than that. I also think he's going to start Saturday, as it should be IMO. One thing we know for sure is he requires better blocking than Dart does. But I still think Kedon is one of the best passing QBs we've seen at USC and I think he'll reinforce my belief.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Drake Jackson and the rest of our defense must be licking their chops about now. At the start of the season, many of us were circling that game as a possible loss. Not anymore. See ya Charlie.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Recruiting to those places is fawking brutal. Totally dependent on transfers at the skill spots.

It’s too bad, KW is a really good football coach. Maybe Meyer can bring him back as DC at SC.
lol...Meyer & Whittingham huh? Why stop there, maybe Charlie Weiss at OC? Not sure where all this $ is coming from, you having an SC bake sale?

Maybe the players can sell chocolates?

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Consider all the money we coughed up this past decade for buyouts and payoffs, I thought it’d be a nice change to actually get something out of our investment.

lol
"Payoffs" are the "cost of doing business. Hire skeezy people to make you $ - cost you $ when all the lawsuits roll in.

Our buyouts have been small in comparison to other schools. Texas schools (UT/TAMU/Baylor) prolly spent more buyout $ in a year than we've spent on coaches for the last 10 years...lol. Helton and his staffs were only underspent by the Oakland A's and Portland State University. We got what we paid for...

Reactions: August West

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
Utah, Arizona and Arizona St have all helped BYU jump into the top-25 and tease the possibility of BYU being 11-0 when it visits the Coliseum for the last game of the regular season. Way to go Pac-12!
It’s not like BYU doesn’t know how to defend our offense. We would lose again

Reactions: nvargas

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
My son's youth team knows how to defend our offense.
mortal kombat fatality GIF

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
The NCAA could actually be a governong body here and set up a rule that once Week 0 starts, no in-season transfers will be permitted and players would have to wait until the season ends to enter the portal. Players could choose to leave a school in-season but would have to sit their *** at home waiting till January.

Latest posts