What are they odds they already have their guy?

ILOVEFOOTBALL

Aug 30, 2021
My guess is that Bohn and Sonsa have already fully vetted a number of candidates have 90% of the work done to pick the next coach. I think this might take 3-4 weeks to firm up details. They must already know and might even have buyin from our esteemed president for their choices, a budget for the hire, etc.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
My guess is that Bohn and Sonsa have already fully vetted a number of candidates have 90% of the work done to pick the next coach. I think this might take 3-4 weeks to firm up details. They must already know and might even have buyin from our esteemed president for their choices, a budget for the hire, etc.
That would be the best outcome, if they already got their eyes set on someone.

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
I have better odds that Donte already has a plan how to wax Wazoo on Saturday. I think the best way to put all this drama behind us is to clock the Cougars.

They are not a very good team and we are coming off a terrible performance. Guys will want to play better and Slovis and London alone are enough to cause headaches for Wazzo.

I think SJS and Stanford both have better D-lines and even our very average O-line may be able to give our backs some room for fun.

The -8.5 might go up a bit if other bettors share my thoughts but I think we could be looking at 45-14 kind of a score. Donte probably doesn’t want to give up 14 to the team who will fight it out with Zona for the cellar floor.

I think Oregon is the only good team in our conference. I’m not sold on UCLA or ASU yet. They both have big tests. ASU at BYU should be another interesting game. And let’s see if Stanford can take advantage of perennial doormat Vanderbilt. Vandy is awesome at baseball, though!

As to your question—NO

I believe our AD when he says he is going on a big, extensive, nationwide search starting in Cincinnati, Ohio. 😂

Fight On!

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Bohn had to pull the trigger now. Helton was entering the point of the schedule where he could win the next 4 games it would’ve been harder to fire a guy who was 5-1? It was a preemptive strike. I like his style. Exactly what I would have done. He didn’t give Gomer a chance to wiggle off the hook again.

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Bohn had to pull the trigger now. Helton was entering the point of the schedule where he could win the next 4 games it would’ve been harder to fire a guy who was 5-1? It was a preemptive strike. I like his style. Exactly what I would have done. He didn’t give Gomer a chance to wiggle off the hook again.
So you concur with my prediction for our game Saturday?

Reactions: Cardinal&Gold

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
IF they “already have their guy”…….it’s Fickell (relationship), Petersen (not coaching) , or Stoops (not coaching)…..Urban ain’t coming, bad timing AGAIN. And word apparently is, Petersen not interested.

No other employed coach could’ve been harnessed already…..with seasons underway, contract negotiations, buyouts, etc.

ConquerorSC

Oct 15, 2018
My guess is that Bohn and Sonsa have already fully vetted a number of candidates have 90% of the work done to pick the next coach. I think this might take 3-4 weeks to firm up details. They must already know and might even have buyin from our esteemed president for their choices, a budget for the hire, etc
I think Carol Folt was fully behind ClayDoll’s firing. The handling of the axe drop was all very decisive and to the point.

Reactions: Cardinal&Gold

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
This is spot on. Bohn has been preparing for this day since he was hired. No way he’s starting from scratch. The biggest problem he faces is keeping the name quiet until the announcement in December. Unless it’s Stoops (hope not) who’s not coaching, the next coach wouldn’t want the speculation to negatively impact his present team’s season.

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
My bet is on Luke Fickell

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
I think Carol Folt was fully behind ClayDoll’s firing. The handling of the axe drop was all very decisive and to the point.
Of coarse. Think about it you go to work to do a job, You don’t want to hear all the complaints and see your name being smeared trough the mud because of one guy. Everyone has a breaking point. Bohn and Folt were probably tired of it! Now they can hire someone else and move on. I think they will go after a big name. They wouldn’t want to stir up the hornets 🐝 nest again by hiring a guy with no HC experience like Donte Williams especially when you see Jimmy Lake implode at Washington right now. I don’t think he makes it to the end of the year. They are remarkably similar. Both are elite recruiters both connect with players, neither one had Coordinator or HC experience. I think this administration is going to do the right thing here. Thank you

BTW USC may have to lock up their guy now. If UDub fires Jimmy Lake and I could happen if the lose to Arkansas State or whoever it is this weekend. Then they could get caught in a bidding war over Fickell or Campbell

Last edited:
Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

mickhooligan

Aug 27, 2017
Of coarse. Think about it you go to work to do a job, You don’t want to hear all the complaints and see your name being smeared trough the mud because of one guy. Everyone has a breaking point. Bohn and Folt were probably tired of it! Now they can hire someone else and move on. I think they will go after a big name. They wouldn’t want to stir up the hornets 🐝 nest again by hiring a guy with no HC experience like Donte Williams especially when you see Jimmy Lake implode at Washington right now. I don’t think he makes it to the end of the year. They are remarkably similar. Both are elite recruiters both connect with players, neither one had Coordinator or HC experience. I think this administration is going to do the right thing here. Thank you

BTW USC may have to lock up their guy now. If UDub fires Jimmy Lake and I could happen if the lose to Arkansas State or whoever it is this weekend. Then they could get caught in a bidding war over Fickell or Campbell
Neither one of those 2 are leaving their schools for UW over USC.

3rd Slide

Aug 24, 2017
1) Bohn has known this is coming - for a very long time.
2) Bohn is a pro and has undoubtedly had a list of replacements in his back pocket - for a very long time.
3) I have to believe Bohn and Fickell have discussed this numerous times ("Luke, tell me, just what exactly do you think you could accomplish with So Cal's talent pool at your doorstep?").
4) I have a hard time thinking of Bohn doing anything in haste; he will give it the time necessary to make the right decision.
5) This is a business decision so ignore the whole concept of coaches waiting to finish out the season.

Just my two cents.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
I don't think its an ideal situation to have to wait until January for the coach to arrive. Not with our need for OL/DL and the early signing period.

The MO of recent past has been announcements the first week of December, right after the season ends and before any bowl games. Coaches moving on have been fine with this time period….unless in the playoffs….as it allows an exit with the interim coach taking over for the bowl game.

That window is even smaller now with Early Enrollment Dec.15-17

Reactions: Alejandro gonzalez

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017

It's crazy that ANYONE is still thinking, Donte should be a HC at USC. After what happened with Clay Helton or seen what's happening at Washington.

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
This is spot on. Bohn has been preparing for this day since he was hired. No way he’s starting from scratch. The biggest problem he faces is keeping the name quiet until the announcement in December. Unless it’s Stoops (hope not) who’s not coaching, the next coach wouldn’t want the speculation to negatively impact his present team’s season.
Please not Big Game Bob. PLEASE!!!

Reactions: CrownoftheValley

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
It's crazy that ANYONE is still thinking, Donte should be a HC at USC. After what happened with Clay Helton or seen what's happening at Washington.
I agree. He hasn't proven his chops yet for that role. He's a position coach, for crying out loud, and his players didn't look so hot against Furd. Donte needs to gain DC experience and prove himself capable there first. JMHO

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
USC doesn't historically do "searches" in the sense that they take applications and then interview the applicants. They reach out to people, give them a salary range and the rules of engagement, and assess whether there is interest. My sense is that Bohn did that the minute he took over as AD knowing this day was going to come sooner rather than later. I'm sure he already knows who is viable and who is not and whether Folt will block any particular hire. The other thing is that nobody will know who he is talking to because everything will be done between Bohn and the agent up until the actual interview so candidates don't foreclose on their present jobs.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
USC doesn't historically do "searches" in the sense that they take applications and then interview the applicants. They reach out to people, give them a salary range and the rules of engagement, and assess whether there is interest. My sense is that Bohn did that the minute he took over as AD knowing this day was going to come sooner rather than later. I'm sure he already knows who is viable and who is not and whether Folt will block any particular hire. The other thing is that nobody will know who he is talking to because everything will be done between Bohn and the agent up until the actual interview so candidates don't foreclose on their present jobs.
I don't expect very many, legit rumors. Especially, since no one knew (not even insiders) that Helton was going to be fired on Monday.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
Is this even possible? Wouldn’t it be tampering? Doesn’t it need to be more formal? Asking the school of the said coach before contacting him?
It's not tampering if you only contact their agent and otherwise maintain radio silence with the coach. That's the way it's been done for years. When Pete was our coach, his agent was on the phone with one NFL franchise or another just about every day. I know this because a guy I grew up with was the CEO of one of those franchises and told me about it.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
It's not tampering if you only contact their agent and otherwise maintain radio silence with the coach. That's the way it's been done for years. When Pete was our coach, his agent was on the phone with one NFL franchise or another just about every day. I know this because a guy I grew up with was the CEO of one of those franchises and told me about it.
Someone has said elsewhere that Luke doesn't have an agent. For example so I wonder how that would play out.

Reactions: ScottSchrader

norcalsurfer

Sep 1, 2017
Whaddup surfer. Hope you're doing well.
Doing well sir. My wife called me after I helped with a patient (3 missed calls) to tell me Helton was fired. Probably good timing that it was after the patient since I probably would have been distracted.

Your Giants look to be chasing history. Man what a surprise they have been.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Rumors come from talk show hosts who need listenership. No listeners, no sponsors. Simple as that. And those who truly have inside information can't talk about it.
Speaking truth on that one, got to get through bs before anything worthwhile is leaked.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
Someone has said elsewhere that Luke doesn't have an agent. For example so I wonder how that would play out.
I'm sure someone in his life serves as an advisor to him. I know he has a booking agent for public speaking.

It's also possible his current employer has told him he is free to talk to prospective employers.. His buyout is so low ($750,000 after 12/31/21) that I am guessing they already know they have little chance of holding on to him long term.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Is this even possible? Wouldn’t it be tampering? Doesn’t it need to be more formal? Asking the school of the said coach before contacting him?
Yup. On one level I believe you’re right. But they also are known to one another on a personal level and it is on a personal level that contact may have been going on for some time. I’m just speculating here, but it’s not as though MB & LF don’t already know and like each other. There’s a mutual trust and friendship pre-existing. I don’t think you can contractually regulate contacts between private individuals satisfying their friendship and unofficially speculating about “what-if.”

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I'm sure someone in his life serves as an advisor to him. I know he has a booking agent for public speaking.

It's also possible his current employer has told him he is free to talk to prospective employers.. His buyout is so low ($750,000 after 12/31/21) that I am guessing they already know they have little chance of holding on to him long term.
Pretty much the only thing stopping him from leaving is himself.

Reactions: Trojack

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Yup. On one level I believe you’re right. But they also are known to one another on a personal level and it is on a personal level that contact may have been going on for some time. I’m just speculating here, but it’s not as though MB & LF don’t already know and like each other. There’s a mutual trust and friendship pre-existing. I don’t think you can contractually regulate contacts between private individuals satisfying their friendship and unofficially speculating about “what-if.”
If there was contact between Bohn and Fickell, this is what I think it is. And I suspect that they have had contact and that Bohn knows where Fickell stands.

But again, I could be wrong.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
If there was contact between Bohn and Fickell, this is what I think it is. And I suspect that they have had contact and that Bohn knows where Fickell stands.

But again, I could be wrong.
Plus, what relationship do they really have? everyone is guessing on how they see each other. But we have no real idea to be honest.

Reactions: Redskins Rick

Latest posts