Where is the run stopping NTs????

Gold Trojan

Aug 27, 2017
How do you have a base 3 down DL look, but don’t have a couple +300lb run stopping NTs on the team???

We run Stanley T out there at 275lbs, with 270lb Figs next to him???? OLs are licking their chops.

Last edited:

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Chad Kahahahhaha or however you say it did a better job with the DT’s . They could at least get to the QB.

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
How do you have a base 3 down DL look, but don’t have a couple +300lb run stopping NTs on the team???

We run Stanley T out there at 275lbs, with 270lb Figs next to him???? OLs are picking their chops.
Brandon Pili ruptured his Achilles during spring ball, Ishmael Sopsher is deciding when he'll be in shape to give it a go, Kobe Pepe has an undisclosed injury, and Jay Toia bailed after spring. That's 1200+ pounds of NT unavailable.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Sekona is good, but like all the rest is simply too small for a nose tackle IMHO.ANY decent O line will slaughter us with their running attack unless we do something fundamentally inspired to right the ship, and don't ask me what that is, cuz I got no answers, but DO SOMETHING, Todd Orlando. You get well paid for it. Chipster's theft of Toia an absolute felony. Has wrought havoc with our season. The arsehole. And then Orlando's reluctance to keep Drake Jackson at three technique, no not three tech but DE, purely D end, instead preferring dropping him back in coverage. And is Korey Foreman mortally wounded or something? Aim those two DIRECTLY for enemy QB every freaking play and see if THAT makes a difference with the pressure we can generate to slow down the bad guys' O. I tell you King Pete used Coach O's mighty D line to crush the run, then teed off on QB, till they knocked him so silly his I.Q. dropped thirty points very quickly. Just dizzied him.

Last edited:

NZTrojan275

Dec 16, 2017
the problem is both DL & LB. cant say much about the DL cause we knew that coming in we were thin in the middle. my issue is the Linebacker play. they are absolutely abysmal. #26 #10 #18 are the worse linebacker tandem in USC history and probably the whole pac12. they dont make any plays.....period! there were so many plays where the DL stood the OL up but there wasnt a LB in sight to make a play.

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
It's not just NTs. It's clear we have a decisive schematic disadvantage. Our coaching is like the anti-Charlie Weis.

Reactions: SCBIGTIME

NZTrojan275

Dec 16, 2017
yea bro it cant be a NT issue because we dont have any that are healthy at the moment. thats a recruiting issue. coming into this season we knew we skating on thin ice at NT and were gonna have to disguise it. what us fans and maybe coaches didnt account for was our complete piss poor LB play. none of them make plays or position themselves to make one either. they dont even blitz properly. the times that they accidently find themselves in position to make a play, they whiff on the tackle cause they have trouble breaking down to make the tackle.

Wolfpack4SC

May 31, 2019
Brandon Pili ruptured his Achilles during spring ball, Ishmael Sopsher is deciding when he'll be in shape to give it a go, Kobe Pepe has an undisclosed injury, and Jay Toia bailed after spring. That's 1200+ pounds of NT unavailable.
You left off the two who left for the NFL. I think they had one more year of eligibility left because of the CCP virus, but they made the right decision for themselves.

Jt71

Apr 6, 2018
It is bigger than the NT. Our entire DL is on all 4’s trying to 2 gap. No discipline lime on run fits or outside leverage by our ends. The LB’s can’t stack and shed the OL, when the DL gets pushed back 5 yards in their laps. Our safeties are so far off the ball to protect the pass their angles are terrible because they lack burst. Part of it is scheme and the other is size/talent. 250 pound kids do not play 2gap schemes well. This is why Alabama and Georgia have huge men out their and kill in these early down schemes. We have smaller more explosive players. Play an up field penetrating style and a lot would change

Reactions: NZTrojan275

Torch901

Sep 6, 2020
There’s a speed issue at LB. OSU constantly ran plays to the perimeter that exposed that weakness, too
Speed issue for sure, but our LBs are also frequently out of position and look confused out there.

TahoeTrojan

Feb 7, 2018
Jt71…agreed on most of your post, but we are teaching an up field penetrating style which puts us out of position so many times. I feel we fail at recognizing run/pass quickly. 31 would wash himself out of many run fits by aggressively getting upfield

Jt71

Apr 6, 2018
Jt71…agreed on most of your post, but we are teaching an up field penetrating style which puts us out of position so many times. I feel we fail at recognizing run/pass quickly. 31 would wash himself out of many run fits by aggressively getting upfield
Watch last nights game from the down linemen. That’s not what happened. Stanley, Jake, and the boys were playing 2 gap and getting blown off the ball

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
If you run a 3 down DL look, your NT should be about 310 - 330, and your 2 DTs about 290 - 300.

We’re about 30 lbs light in each position. That is a recipe for disaster. And we just witnessed it.
Yep, we don't have the mass to play against the run and that's due to poor player development and bad recruiting.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

Gold Trojan

Aug 27, 2017
They were get beat on the outside. Won’t matter if we have 2 300lbs NT
In a 3 DL set, the main idea for the 3 down linemen is to collapse the front of the pocket, or push the offense to the edge. In this they would eat up the center, both guards, and potentially one of the tackles. Thus allowing the OLBs to get upfield quickly to disrupt the lateral game, or apply pressure to a QB being forced to move.

If the front 3 are too small, they are susceptible to the straight ahead OL push which creates gaps that the OLBs have to guess (either edge or off tackle). Also, if too small, they cannot demand a double team which allows a tackle or guard to engage a much smaller LB or safety at the next level.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
In a 3 DL set, the main idea for the 3 down linemen is to collapse the front of the pocket, or push the offense to the edge. In this they would eat up the center, both guards, and potentially one of the tackles. Thus allowing the OLBs to get upfield quickly to disrupt the lateral game, or apply pressure to a QB being forced to move.

If the front 3 are too small, they are susceptible to the straight ahead OL push which creates gaps that the OLBs have to guess (either edge or off tackle). Also, if too small, they cannot demand a double team which allows a tackle or guard to engage a much smaller LB or safety at the next level.
Our problem is also speed off the edges and in general from our LB's. We lack that.

Trubb

Sep 3, 2021

We run Stanley T out there at 275lbs, with 270lb Figs next to him???? OLs are licking their chops.
I really don't get it. It's one of the reasons we not doing ****. This man is so stuck in his own way with this predictable ****. Put the 3 down **** away, we not playing Washington st every week. But that's always been this dude flaw. Good for one year and trash the next.

Alvaro Carrillo

Jan 28, 2018
We really should have hit the transfer portal harder. Lichtenstein is getting no push at all. More concerning is the fact we can't get any penetration. It causes the running back to change direction. I don't recall their running back ever being touched in the backfield. That's why we are next to last in TFL. Figueroa has really regressed or is not playing at close to 100%.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
Noticed on a few plays where the DL did make plays Orlando had them in a slant stunt.

However, when you guess wrong, those holes get bigger and zone blocking schemes just allow the OL to go with the flow and latch onto the DL. This opens holes a Metro Bus can go through.

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Noticed on a few plays where the DL did make plays Orlando had them in a slant stunt.

However, when you guess wrong, those holes get bigger and zone blocking schemes just allow the OL to go with the flow and latch onto the DL. This opens holes a Metro Bus can go through.
Yep. Our defense reminded me of Callahan's Nebraska team that we clobbered. I think Stafon Johnson had a career night running through holes like that. We turned around and returned the favor to the Beavers.

Latest posts