Which Slovis Shows Up Saturday?

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
As fate would have it, Slovis will start for USC vs Oregon St on Saturday’s edition of Pac-12 After Dark.

He may have done some soul-searching between the Stanford debacle and now. Well, most likely.

Slovis has gone from the Penthouse to the doghouse in his time as Trojan quarterback and I’m sure he prefers the former.

So what Slovis do we get Saturday? How good or bad or average will he be? We won’t know for sure for a couple of days but there is definitely some room for educated guesses.

Thoughts?

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
It's all up to him and the o-line. Which version of themselves goes out there on Saturday. Hopefully this week instilled some sense of confidence but Slovis is going to have to prove to himself that he can still sling it and win. Know that he doesn't need to be perfect and play fast. Though with Harrell as your position coach, I'm worried about em. And if he hasn't already, I'd have him contact his mentor Kurt Warner.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayBird23

ICEnEC

Aug 27, 2017
It starts up front. If we can run the ball it will be an immense help. We know the OL is pretty good at Pass Pro. If not??? Miller gets his shot. A lot of moving parts over the next few weeks. Hold onto your hats, it’s gonna be a ride.

RONIN.usc

Dec 6, 2018
I will be there. Just like jaxson WON OVER the Offense And Defense, he did the same to the fanbase. This is Dart’s Team now. Anything short of perfection by Slovis will be met with grumbling and dare I say Boos. Despite late game heroics last year, Slovis played so inconsistently and that has just carried over to this year. Im afraid Slovis is done.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
It's Harrell's job to prepare the QB (physically & mentally) as well as to create a gameplan that takes advantage of the opponent and Slovis' strengths (factoring for our poor OL).

If Slovis comes out "trying" to win the game or prove himself, bad things will happen. I've seen Slovis "try" to win and I've seen defenses take advantage of that. Have to play instinctively and not think about it. Staying upright helps a lot w/ that, as does an actual rungame.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Slovis has gone from the Penthouse to the doghouse in his time as Trojan quarterback and I’m sure he prefers the former.

So what Slovis do we get Saturday? How good or bad or average will he be? We won’t know for sure for a couple of days but there is definitely some room for educated guesses.

Thoughts?

To be fair, he’s never gone to the real doghouse….he got injured, not pulled.

Was he performing sharply, no. But any degrading has been mostly from fans, not the coaches putting him in the doghouse. I think he’ll feel challenged and play well.

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
It's Harrell's job to prepare the QB (physically & mentally) as well as to create a gameplan that takes advantage of the opponent and Slovis' strengths (factoring for our poor OL).

If Slovis comes out "trying" to win the game or prove himself, bad things will happen. I've seen Slovis "try" to win and I've seen defenses take advantage of that. Have to play instinctively and not think about it. Staying upright helps a lot w/ that, as does an actual rungame.
You might be right and Slovis very well could walk out there trying to prove something. Harrell should keep it simple for Slovis until he settles in.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Ya, take the incompletion if you have too, but you have to treat it like it's lit!

It's nice to throw it where we is, but it's most important to get rid of it and throw it where they ain't.

Last edited:

UscCovidAlum

Apr 9, 2021
To be fair, he’s never gone to the real doghouse….he got injured, not pulled.

Was he performing sharply, no. But any degrading has been mostly from fans, not the coaches putting him in the doghouse. I think he’ll feel challenged and play well.

if he was playing at home against BYU in '19 he would've gotten a few boos. (but then again it was his second game starting so..)

If the pac-12 championship game last season had a crowd he would've gotten boo'd out of the stadium. That game had horrendous QB play from the two starters

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Miller Moss. Slovis has been here for three years and now we are talking about the squad-team QB taking over for him in an important conference game. Slovis has performed remarkably well in his career but he’s also been struggling.

Miller Moss! I’m watching Sam Darnold score a touchdown right now and I am wondering if we will ever see Kedon Slovis in the NFL doing the same.

Kedon Slovis has struggled a lot more than just the Stanford game. Last year he engineered some amazing drives against some lousy teams to pullout some last minute victories but he got us in those situations by lobbing up wobbly balls to no one that made everyone believe he must have been injured. But he redeemed until the Oregon game.

This year at home against Stanford the magic was all but gone. But Miller Moss? Are we really there yet? Maybe. Right? If Slovis is off in his throws, fumbles, throws interceptions. If the Beavers jump out to a 14-0 lead like Washington St. Miller Moss!

We don’t have anyone else to go to now that Jaxson Dart is out.

And have you asked yourself this— what if Miller Moss struggles? Then what?

So I will definitely be pulling for Slovis to play like he did when he was young, lol.

But seriously, I think there is a possibility we may see Miller Moss and the way this season is going he may play like John Elway.

Crazy days 🔥🔥🔥

Beat Beavers 🦫

Troy70

Aug 24, 2017
Think Kedon plays loose with Dart a nonfactor. Our OL may be a huge factor. Rodents will attack so Moss better be warmed up🦫🦫🦫

Wolfpack4SC

May 31, 2019
I heard he’s been sidelined with a bunch of movie offers, but when Dart went in they all started folding which was the look you saw from him on the sidelines.

EugeneTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Slovis needs a little time to throw, when given time he has shown himself capable. Rewind two years and everyone was saying he would be the best sc qb ever. Now he is struggling with a terrible oline/oc and now dart is the next best thing after one game. This board is like the Kardashians deciding which designer to wear to the “most overrated tv show”awards night.

Shrapper

Aug 30, 2021
Slovis, even in his ”prime” two years ago (which is weird in itself), never truly wowed me like Darnold did or Dart did in his first game. Stats are nice and all, but he just doesn’t have that intangible “it,“ nor does he seem or act like a true leader that the team can rally around. That’s missing, and in my opinion very important attributes when things get tough or when the team is behind. He seems aloof to me. I know I’ll get a lot of flack saying that, but that’s my honest opinion.

Bogey Bud

Sep 3, 2021
Slovis, even in his ”prime” two years ago (which is weird in itself), never truly wowed me like Darnold did or Dart did in his first game. Stats are nice and all, but he just doesn’t have that intangible “it,“ nor does he seem or act like a true leader that the team can rally around. That’s missing, and in my opinion very important attributes when things get tough or when the team is behind. He seems aloof to me. I know I’ll get a lot of flack saying that, but that’s my honest opinion.
Sometimes you need a spark, like with Darnold or Dart, but for consistent winning you need a calm, high-percentage qb. Tom Brady isn't running for first downs and lowering his head at the goal line ala John Elway, and he sure as hell seems aloof - but he's the goat. You might say Mahomes wins with hair on fire play, and you'd be right - but for longevity I'd take Brady.

I think Slovis is unflappable and we know he can be a very accurate passer. Leader? The jury's still out.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Beavs D is pretty bad, though its O is good, thus I am looking for Kedon to do better than he did in first two games, though I cringe when I think of how they will try and crush him like a grape, smelling blood. I am really rooting for the kid, however, having felt terrible for him after he looked so miserable on our sidelines last Saturday.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Me thinks we will see Miller moss playing

Whether Slovis starts or not, I sure hope this is the case.

I've been beating this drum for a week now. I find it inexcusable that Miller didn't get PT in garbage time last week, with Dart obviously hurt, Slovis future playing status uncertain and the game well in hand..

Last edited:

GLYCERINE

Aug 24, 2017
Whether Slovis starts or not, I sure hope this is the case.

I've been beating this drum for a week now. I find it inexcusable that Miller didn't get PT in garbage time last week, with Dart obviously hurt, Slovis immediate playing status uncertain and the game well in hand..

I agree. I would have liked to see Miller get in there.

I think last week Donte was riding a wave of emotions.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I agree. I would have liked to see Miller get in there.

I think last week Donte was riding a wave of emotions.

Yes, and understandably so. I think we all were surfing that wave last weekend.

Hopefully the team keeps that emo-edge, but that this week Donte finds that in-game composure so essential in a head coach.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Hopefully not the one that shows up against the other Oregon team. In two games 5 Td’s 6 Int’s sacked 6 times 0-2 record.

BTW: The PAC 12 is 18-18 as a conference so far. . 500 football again? Where’s Las Vegas George?

Last edited:

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Yes, and understandably so. I think we all were surfing that wave last weekend.

Hopefully the team keeps that emo-edge, but that this week Donte finds that in-game composure so essential in a head coach.
Agreed, not a huge fan of an overly-emotional demeanor when coaching or QB'ing. Have to stay level-headed and always thinking...rather than emotionally reacting. There's time & place though, understandable for Dante to be emotional on his first game. From here on out though, calm, steady, confident and disciplined. Manage the clock, delegate gameday responsibilities and motivate kids when needed.

If players look over and see you roll your eyes or fuming after every mistake, things can spiral. There's a diff between holding players accountable and hounding them after every mistake. There will be a time for reckoning, best to just get kids' heads straight during games.

Ahead of time, let it be known, you make a mental mistake and you're coming out for at least a play. No point jumping up & down on the sideline after every penalty.

Reactions: Cyrus.usc

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
Agreed, not a huge fan of an overly-emotional demeanor when coaching or QB'ing. Have to stay level-headed and always thinking...rather than emotionally reacting. There's time & place though, understandable for Dante to be emotional on his first game. From here on out though, calm, steady, confident and disciplined. Manage the clock, delegate gameday responsibilities and motivate kids when needed.

If players look over and see you roll your eyes or fuming after every mistake, things can spiral. There's a diff between holding players accountable and hounding them after every mistake. There will be a time for reckoning, best to just get kids' heads straight during games.

Ahead of time, let it be known, you make a mental mistake and you're coming out for at least a play. No point jumping up & down on the sideline after every penalty.

Just curious if anyone has insight as to how Donte was on the sideline prior to his promotion to interim HC. Was he as fiery and emotional as we saw him last Saturday? I imagine a position coach can be allowed to be the wild man on the sideline, screaming and jumping up and down and getting in players' faces for mistakes (if that's his demeanor in the first place) but yes, a head coach needs to be more , uh- managerial - and curb emotions at times.

Reactions: nvargas

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Just curious if anyone has insight as to how Donte was on the sideline prior to his promotion to interim HC. Was he as fiery and emotional as we saw him last Saturday? I imagine a position coach can be allowed to be the wild man on the sideline, screaming and jumping up and down and getting in players' faces for mistakes (if that's his demeanor in the first place) but yes, a head coach needs to be more , uh- managerial - and curb emotions at times.
Believe he was in the press (coaches) box until last game.

Reactions: Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
Believe he was in the press (coaches) box until last game.

Just curious - which coaches typically spend the game in the press box? It seems it is usually the offensive coordinator, plus a few others. Does it vary from team to team, or are certain position coaches the ones usually watching from that perch?

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Just curious - which coaches typically spend the game in the press box? It seems it is usually the offensive coordinator, plus a few others. Does it vary from team to team, or are certain position coaches the ones usually watching from that perch?
My simple guess would be "coordinators" in the box, position coaches on the sideline...but just a guess.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
It varies depending on the HC’s preferences and those of his coordinators.

silversprint

Aug 24, 2017
Slovis was a 3 star recruit out of a Arizon high school. No other big name football program offered him. He had to choose between Hawaii, Oregon State of USC.

He has had a couple of good games but most of his games he has played like a 3 star.

With all 4 and 5 star QBs in Calfornia SC is starting a 3 star QB out of Arizona.

That's why SC struggled under Helton.

Reactions: TrojanGiftHorse

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
Slovis was a 3 star recruit out of a Arizon high school. No other big name football program offered him. He had to choose between Hawaii, Oregon State of USC.

He has had a couple of good games but most of his games he has played like a 3 star.

With all 4 and 5 star QBs in Calfornia SC is starting a 3 star QB out of Arizona.

That's why SC struggled under Helton.

Troy Polamalu was also a 3-star recruit.

Must be why USC struggled under Paul Hackett.

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
Don’t get the Kedon hate already. Man some guys go from hero to zero quickly around here.

I don't hate him, I just have seen that he hasn't played up to the Heisman-hype expectations we've had of him. He's been in Harrell's system for three years now, but if anything, it feels like he's regressed. That game against Stanford was awful to watch, not just because they kicked our butts, but because Tanner McKee, a kid making his first-ever start, looked more confident, poised, and made better throws than Slovis, who was a 3rd year starter.

Meanwhile, this kid Dart comes in and puts on a most impressive show, in only his first game.